NC House bill requires schools to keep epi-pens


Tags: , , , , , , ,

Submitted: Tue, 04/23/2013 - 5:22pm
Updated: Tue, 04/23/2013 - 7:40pm
By:

RALEIGH, NC (AP) — Some North Carolina lawmakers and advocates want to require schools to keep a supply of epinephrine pens to treat potentially life-threatening allergic reactions.

A House bill approved by the Education Committee on Tuesday would require all public, charter and regional schools to keep at least two epinephrine pens on hand to be administered by trained personnel.

Epinephrine injectors are widely used to treat severe reactions caused by food allergens. If not promptly treated, those reactions can be fatal. Studies show many children first discover food allergies at school.

Rep. Tom Murry of Morrisville says manufacturer Mylan Specialty L.P. offers up to four pens free and a discount program for schools wanting additional supplies. Murry says costs will be minimal.

The bill goes to the House floor next.

(Copyright 2013 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)

5 Comments

  • Guest-o-matic says:

    And sometimes a single bee sting can incite an allergic reaction. These are good to keep around just in case! Otherwise, the tongue and throat swells up and you can’t breath.
    This isn’t about a money making venture, it’s about emergency response.

  • Guest Vader says:

    If a child has an allergy, he/she should already have his own pen to carry. Just wondering what if any connection Mr. Murry has with Mylan Specialties.

  • Guest4321 says:

    Exactly. And younger students (like kindergarten-aged) might not fully understand why they need to carry one at all times.

    Not to mention some people are allergic to insects, like bees or fire ants, and only find out after being stung or bitten. This could help students during recess too, who may not even know they have an allergy.

  • jj says:

    This is a great idea. I have a son that is in the 7 grade that is allergic to peanuts. He is very careful, but there are others who eat peanut butter and Jelly sandwiches.

    This really could save a life.

  • Guest2020 says:

    Some people develop allergies to things they have been exposed to over time. Although my husband grew up eating shrimp, about ten years ago he had an allergic reaction to shrimp. You just never know when something like that is going to happen.

Leave a Reply