Wilmington artist says ‘Iron Man’ star never paid for ordered painting

Tags: , , , , ,

Submitted: Thu, 05/02/2013 - 7:53pm
Updated: Fri, 05/03/2013 - 12:25pm

WILMINGTON, NC (WWAY) — Robert Downey Jr. might be saving the world one movie at a time, but a Wilmington man says the star does not fulfill all his promises. The artist says the Downey wanted him to do an “Iron Man” painting, then never picked it up or paid for it.

In a place that serves barbeque, you might not expect to see a superhero, and Rich Anderson says he didn’t expect that either.

“I have a five-foot painting of ‘Iron Man 3′ that I don’t know what to do with,” Anderson said.

The painter/restaurant manager whipped up this piece for the movie’s star

“I did an ‘Iron Man’ painting for Courts & Sports. They were having a cast and crew party for the ‘Iron Man 3′ production, and when they had that, Robert Downey Jr. saw the painting I had for them, and he said, ‘I want one of those,'” Anderson said.

It was a super-exciting commission.

“I said of course. I can just do another one,” Anderson said.

That made Anderson forget about his own rule.

“I was excited,” he said. “It was Robert Downey Jr., so I didn’t try to get the money up front, and the result was, as usual, if you don’t get the money up front, you end up holding onto the painting.”

Downey hasn’t come to pick it up, nor has he paid for it.

“I was hoping to get paid for part of it,” Anderson said.

So, it sits.

“It’s not like there is a big call for ‘Iron Man 3′ paintings,” Anderson said.

Anderson hopes the tribute to the Wilmington-shot movie will catch someone’s eye.

“I would hope that someone sees the painting and says, ‘Oh, “Iron Man 3″ was filmed here,” he said.

And if not?

“That’s OK, too,” Anderson said.

We called Downey’s publicist for comment, but did not get a call back.

If you’re interested in the painting, you can check it out at the restaurant Smoke on Front Street in downtown Wilmington.

• SurfCityTom says:

when I walk into the Charlotte based Ferrari dealership and tell them I want one of the red ones.

• BRGuest says:

My guess is that this gentleman did not attend the cast and crew party and heard about RDJ’s comment 2nd hand. Hard to say the man ordered something from you when you never even spoke to him.

• Guest-o-matic says:

…is a crook! No! Wait! Ironman can do whatever he wants! He’s a sooperheero!

• KirkG88 says:

Did HE (RDJ) ask you for the painting? How can HE be responsible if he never spoke to you, or asked you for the painting. I hope you do not get sued for slander? (slander n. oral defamation, in which someone tells one or more persons an untruth about another which untruth will harm the reputation of the person defamed.)

• Guest-of-the-day says:

hardly sounds like a “commission” to do a painting… this story stinks like the fishy wharf it was concocted near.

• JustGuest says:

Hey jasper can you read?

• Guest Reply says:

That reminds me….he didn’t call my sister back to take her out on a date either…and she had her hair done! Where’s his cell number???!!!!!!
    Which is it with Downing and this movie here?
    1. He brought $$$ to town…or…
    2. He’s a cheat?

• Guestsfndi says:

“Robert Downey Jr. saw the painting I had for them, and he said, ‘I want one of those,'”…. ok did you set a price? Did you set a date for pickup? Did you get his phone #. No bill of sale, no nothing?

• Eastern BBQ says:

I saw the painting and like the BBQ there, I didn’t think it was very good. I wouldn’t have picked it up either.

Did you even talk to him about money? I go to places all the time and say, “I want one of those”. That doesn’t constitute an agreement of any kind or infer that I am going to pay for one.

• Jasper Fant says:

I suggest prominently placing a plaque beside the painting stating that Downey ordered it, but failed to pay for it. Far too often these so called “stars” expect everything to be handed to them gratis. It sounds like Downey is a deadbeat who won’t pay his bills.