20 Comments for this article

Tags: , , , ,

WILMINGTON, NC (WWAY) — For the fifth time this year, security screeners found a loaded weapon at a checkpoint at Wilmington International Airport yesterday.

The Transportation Security Administration says it was one of two loaded firearms four at North Carolina airports yesterday.

TSA says at 2:45 p.m., screeners at ILM found a loaded .40-caliber pistol in a carry-on bag at Wilmington International Airport. That morning workers found a loaded .380-caliber pistol in a carry-on bag at Raleigh-Durham International Airport.

TSA says airport police were alerted in each instance and both passengers were cited.

Weapons are not permitted in carry-on baggage. Last year TSA assessed more than $1.8 million in civil penalties for firearms discovered in passenger carry-on bags.

Passengers are permitted to travel with firearms in checked baggage if they are properly packaged and declared.

There were 1,549 firearms discovered at TSA checkpoints nationwide in 2012. There have been five guns discovered during 2013 at Wilmington International and seven so far this year at RDU.

Comment on this Story

20 Comments on "FIRST ON 3: TSA finds loaded gun at ILM checkpoint"

Guest111
2015 years 9 months ago

In this day and time how in the world could someone think they could board a plane with a loaded weapon? They have to be uneducated or a criminal to try this. I fly often and the thought of a loaded gun on board my plane is frightening.

taxpayer
2015 years 9 months ago

“I fly often and the thought of a loaded gun on board my plane is frightening.”

Except in the hands of a Federal Air Marshall.

Guestomfg
2015 years 9 months ago

A criminal would be smarter than this twit.

GuestMan.
2015 years 9 months ago

at what time both were posted and you tell me.

Vog46
2015 years 9 months ago

I think that should read:

“Especially in the hands of a Federal Air Marshall”

Vog

GuestMan.
2015 years 9 months ago

It is this type of flippant, off-the-cuff remark that has no basis in anything factual. Air marshall’s have done good things on some of the flights they have been on and they are a deterrent just by their prescence. Was this a feeble attempt at being witty?

Guest111

Correct.

Guest111
2015 years 9 months ago

Hey Vog Do you fly very much? I don’t want to stir any stuff here but I would be perfectly comfortable sitting right beside a Federal Air Marshal. In these days and times you can’t be to careful. I find it hard for someone to come home, unpack a carry on and overlook a loaded gun. Then pack up for another trip leaving the same gun in the bag. I don’t think this person is responsible enough to have a gun in the first place.

Guest123123
2015 years 9 months ago

Vog, dont know if you wee joking but those guys get some intense training and are good at what they do.

Vog46

Yes that was a JOKE…….
Vog

Guest-o-matic
2015 years 9 months ago

…and believes that every gun owner, CCP holder and LEO (to include US Marshals, FBI and Air Marshalls) are incognito nincompoops, totally and fully incapable of controlling a firearm.

Sounds like internal, fear based opinion gathered from lack of experience, knowledge and maybe a self-inflicted gunshot wound at some point.

Guest111
2015 years 9 months ago

are you directing your remark to me?

Guest Vader
2015 years 9 months ago

If they found this many, think how many were not found.

Guest 211
2015 years 9 months ago

WHAT IS DONE WITH THESE PASSANGERS AND WEAPONS? ARE THESE PEOPLE PLANTS?, LIKE UNDERAGE KIDS TRYING TO BUY ALCOHOL? SO THEY CAN SHUT DOWN BUSINESSES? I ALSO DON’T UNDERSTAND THESE CAPTCHAS.OF COURSE I,M HUMAN. ( OR I THOUGHT I WAS).

Guest 1492
2015 years 9 months ago

you’re not human, you just think you might be.

Need proof? MACHINES TYPE IN UPPER CASE ONLY. Humans use both upper and lower case.

Bill Fisher
2015 years 9 months ago

Is this news because these incompetents actually managed to do their job and find contraband or is it just TSA propaganda so they can continue to steal our property and molest our children? The person was carrying the gun all through the airport but the media doesn’t report that.

These guns all contain metal and could have been detected by the walk through metal detectors used for over twenty years. These could be installed at the airport entrance so the guns were discovered well before the cop or licensed owner ever reach the checkpoint. Many of these people are licensed owners or law enforcement.

We don’t need to spend over $7 billion a year for these mall cops to catch guns that could be taken back to the car without any fanfare.

Vog46

And all that ammo.
Where did it go?
I would guess DHS got the ammo, hell they’ve been buying up almost every darned piece of ammo that’s made……….
So is this a felony for trying to transport?
Should be, heck if you’re that dumb to not do it the right way….
good grief
(Being sarcastic here)

Vog

2015 years 9 months ago

Are you kidding me??? In this day when you even have to take your shoes off and have your entire body subject to radiation and you only are “CITED” for trying to carry on a loaded handgun on a plane???? Not arrested???? That’s crazy and it just blew away my sense of security.

Guest123123
2015 years 9 months ago

Misdemeanor crime which gives officer the option of citing or arresting. You would think of all those that do get arrested in New Hanover and are on Star News Website that this crime would lead to the latter.

Guest 211
2015 years 9 months ago

I,M JUST AS HUMAN AS YOU ARE. I CAN WRITE IN ANY CASE I WANT TO. NO, I DON’T NEED PROOF. WHATS YOUR PROBLEM? IT GOT YOUR ATTENTION, DIDN’T IT? HOW DO YOU KNOW MACHINES TYPE IN UPPER CASE ONLY? MAYBE I WAS USING A MACHINE. GLAD THATS ALL YOU HAVE TO WORRY ABOUT.