WILMINGTON, NC (NEWS RELEASE) — This year’s Preservation Awards ceremony was held on Thursday May 23rd at the historic New Hanover County Courthouse. This capstone event was just one of the many celebrations of National Preservation Month offered by the Foundation during May. The theme for National Preservation Month was “See! Save! Celebrate!” and the awards are a direct reflection of preservation at work in our community that protects and preserves these gems. The awards recognize and honor the people who make preservation a reality in this historic city and region.
The Historic Wilmington Foundation Preservation Awards recognized restoration, rehabilitation, compatible new development, as well as preservation leadership and individual contributions to the field.
The Residents of Old Wilmington presented their annual Good Neighbor Award and Wilmington Downtown Inc. handed out its first Ben Halterman Award.
Foundation executive director George Edwards expressed delight with the evening’s program. “It was a wonderful night, we had an outstanding crowd and we honored 13 winners with awards of excellence. You couldn’t ask for a better group of award winners.” The list of all the honorees follows:
1. Herman and Suzanne Smith for rehabilitation and restoration of their home, the historic Captain Cook House, 321 South 4th Street.
2. Murchison, Taylor and Gibson, PLLC for rehabilitation of their offices in the Knohl House and the Polley-Morrison House, 16 & 18 North 5th Street.
3. Marc and Christina Erichsen for appropriate and compatible new construction of their home in the Carolina Place neighborhood, 2021 Perry Avenue.
4. Denis and Patricia McGarry for rehabilitation and restoration of the King-Meares House which included the conversion of the multi apartment building into a single family home, 326 South 3rd Street.
5. Libby and Maureen Beccarino for appropriate new to Executive Director George Edwards for preservation leadership.construction of an urban townhouse at 112 & 114 Orange Street.
6. Edwin and Gail Peacock of Peacock Family Business, LLC for rehabilitation and restoration of the Whitlock Building in downtown Wilmington, 22-24 North Front Street.
7. TJ and Judy Porter for rehabilitation and restoration of the Alexander Sprunt House, 1615 Chestnut Street.
8. St James Parish for rehabilitation and restoration of the sanctuary building of St. James Parish, 25 South 3rd Street. The award was received by the Reverend Ron Abrams and Senior Warden Frank Gibson.
9. Daniel and Kathrine Maheu for rehabilitation and restoration of their home, 614 South 3rd Street.
10. Greg Wessel for creative rehabilitation and restoration of a house and former neighborhood store into a single family home, 209 Castle Street.
11. Delinda Harrelson for preservation award of merit for rehabilitation and restoration of her home, 1817 Ann Street.
12. Ann Mizerak, Mary Bakan, and David Mizerak for preservation award of special merit of protection and preservation of the St. Peter and St. Paul Russian Orthodox Church in St. Helena, Pender County.
In addition to the Foundation’s honors, the following awards were handed out at the ceremony:
Residents of Old Wilmington Good Neighbor Award: Margaret and Darwin Ferry to honor their exemplary good works and actions and unselfish service to neighbors.
Wilmington Downtown Inc. Ben Halterman Award: George W. Edwards for outstanding preservation leadership.