Teen charged with killing infant son

Tags: , , , ,

Submitted: Wed, 06/05/2013 - 8:11pm
Updated: Wed, 06/05/2013 - 9:42pm

BRUNSWICK COUNTY, NC (WWAY) — A 19-year-old is in jail accused of killing his own baby.

The Brunswick County Sheriff’s Office arrested Randy Lee Richardson early this morning and charged him with first degree murder in the death of four-month-old Colton Richardson. Hours later he made his first appearance in front of a judge.

“I can tell you the young man is distraught and upset, as you can imagine any young boy, ’cause he is a boy, he’s 19 years old, would be,” Richardson’s attorney James Payne said.

Although investigators have not released details of how the baby died, they say the incident that led to his death happened May 28. Payne said the child died five days later.

“The child did not die in Shallotte,” Payne said. “The child was life-flighted to, I believe, to Chapel Hill.”

The baby’s great grandfather confirmed that the child was receiving care in Chapel Hill.

Richardson lived with his child’s mother and grandmother in Shallotte. Colton’s grandmother was so upset, she did not want to talk on camera.

“You can imagine the kind of burden it’s going to be, or the kind of distress it would be to any family whose lost a love one, particularly a baby,” Payne said.

Neighbors we spoke with did not personally know Richardson or his son, but they were upset hearing about of the child’s death.

“Oh, it breaks my heart,” neighbor Jeanette Scott said. “I just can’t understand why somebody would take a child’s life, especially that young.”

Richardson is in jail without bond. He’s due back in court July 9.

• BR549 says:

so since the mother wasn’t there it was OK for the accused to kill the little baby? What difference did that make? I think everyone needs to stop and think about what they are writing. Go to morning star new. The article written posted there said he admitted to it. ” The person who killed my son admitted to it tonight.

• Ncteacher says:

Why Innocent People Confess to Murder

One night in April 1993, someone slit the throats of Gary Gauger’s elderly parents on their farm near Richmond, Ill. It was bad enough for Gauger to learn of his parents’ violent death, but it turned out that his nightmare was just beginning.

Gauger told police that he was asleep on the property when his parents, Morris, 74, and Ruth, 70, were killed. But the police didn’t buy it, and brought him in for interrogation. After 21 hours of questioning, Gauger broke down and confessed to a crime he did not commit.

Though police had no physical evidence against him, the confession was enough to persuade a jury to convict him of double murder. He was sentenced to death.

Two years later, in an unrelated federal investigation, surveillance tapes captured a member of a motorcycle gang bragging about how he and another gang member had killed the Gaugers. The gang members were later convicted of the murders and other crimes, and Gauger was freed in 1996, after spending three years behind bars.

Every year, thousands of criminals are convicted on the basis of confessions obtained from police interrogations. Experts say law enforcement interrogation techniques are so effective that they can break down the most hardened criminal — and even people who are innocent of the crime they are being accused of. Experts believe there have been hundreds of cases where innocent men succumbed to interrogation and confessed to crimes they did not commit.

“You take someone who is vulnerable, like a grieving family member or someone who isn’t used to being confronted by police,” says Rich Fallin, a former Maryland police officer who specialized in interrogations, “If interrogated long enough, they’ll probably confess.”

Assuming Police Tell the Truth

During his interrogation, Gauger says, he kept denying any involvement with the murders. But he says police told him they had evidence. He mistakenly assumed police would not lie to him, an assumption often made by innocent people undergoing interrogation, according to experts.

“They told me that they had found bloody clothes in my bedroom; they found a bloody knife in my pocket,” says Gauger, who never asked for an attorney, because he felt he had nothing to hide.

At about 1 a.m., he says, the interrogation turned ugly. Police showed him gruesome crime scene photos of his dead parents, sending him into an emotional freefall. The combination of losing his parents and being told by police repeatedly that he was a liar and killer was just too much.

“I was emotionally distraught, looking at these people for help,” he says. “They wouldn’t stop the interrogation. I was exhausted. I gave up.”

Though Gauger had no memory of the crime, he ended up believing what police told him. “I thought I must have done it in a blackout,” he says.

None of what Gauger described surprises Fallin. “They’re kept in an interview room, in a cold interview room, with very little clothing on for hours and hours,” he says, adding that people are often not given anything to drink or allowed to use the bathroom while being interrogated.

The detectives who interrogated Gauger refused to be interviewed by ABCNEWS, but their lawyer in Gauger’s ongoing lawsuit denied that police lied.
    “I believe that the circumstances surrounding the interview of Gary Gauger were completely appropriate,” says Jim Sotos, a defense attorney for the police, who is still trying to raise doubts about Gauger’s innocence, even though another man is in jail for the crime.

Psychological Warfare

Allen Chestnet says he also fell victim to “thorough investigation.” In May 1998, the developmentally disabled man, then 16, cut his hand at his home in Maryland. As he was sitting on his front porch, local reporters covering the murder of Chestnet’s neighbor saw him. After noticing blood on his hand, they called state police.

Chestnet, who had no violent history, was picked up and interrogated for hours.

During the interrogation, he says, police seemed to have no doubts about his guilt.

“He was like, ‘I know you did it, so why are you lying to me?,'” says Chestnet. “They had me so upset, I wasn’t thinking right.”

For hours, he says, his interrogators told him he was a killer and said his denials were lies that were only getting him in deeper. He says he was desperate to appease the cops, who offered him an easy way out: by confessing.

Even after authorities determined that his DNA did not match traces found at the crime scene, Chestnet was kept in jail until November 1998, where he says he was stabbed and raped twice by other inmates. Authorities contend they still had reason to suspect his involvement in the murder.

To this day, Chestnet says he’s afraid of the police. He is suing authorities over his arrest and incarceration.

In both the Chestnet and Gauger cases, police initially refused to admit they had coerced a confession from an innocent man, despite evidence clearing the suspect. According to Fallin, this kind of attitude is pervasive among interrogators.

“Some of the detectives are hot shots. Some of them know they’re good, know they can get a confession,” he says. “Nobody tells them what to do or how to do it.”

‘They Wore Me Down’

In Raymond Wood’s case, detectives in Maine had nothing more than suspicion that he had hit his girlfriend with a car and killed her. But police turned up the heat to entice him to confess.

Wood had argued with his girlfriend, Bessie Selek, when he says he got fed up and drove to a store. Bessie, according to witnesses, left home soon after with a blood alcohol level of .28, walking in the opposite direction on a dark, remote road. She was hit by a car and killed.

“You have no idea how much evidence I have, Raymond, do you hear me?,” one of the cops said during the interrogation, which was videotaped.

In fact, witnesses reported seeing a van with a broken headlight speeding from the scene. Wood’s van had two working headlights. Also, a shattered bug shield at the scene didn’t match the van Wood was driving.

Wood repeatedly denied any involvement in his girlfriend’s death, but the police pressure was too much for him. After about six hours in police custody, he gave in.

“They literally, they wore me down. I was going through emotional torture by these people,” he says. “They convinced me that I had to have done it.”

After seeing the videotape, a judge threw out his confession and police dropped all charges 3 but not before Wood spent a year in jail. Police declined to be interviewed, citing an ongoing investigation into Selek’s death. But in a statement, they stood by their detectives.

Wood is free, but says it won’t really be over until there’s an apology from police.

“It would take them down off their God-like pedestal, that [they] can make no mistakes,” says Wood, who would prefer an apology to financial compensation. “It would make them human again.” I believe this may answer your ?S

• hannahjo says:

ok listen here. i dont know who you are but my cousin is just standing up for her self, i dont care how you feel about it but you werent there, you dont know what went on. she is hurt by this more then anyone, summer loved that child more then life its self, more then her own life… do you know how much it kills her every day to wake up and not go through the normal everyday process of taking care of colton, spending time with him, loveing him??? that wasnt you that was her and her mama. even when she was sick or needed something she put her needs aside because thats how much she loved him.. she didnt need to , she didnt have to, but she did because he was her life.. she was always with him, and when she wasnt she was talking about him or looking a the thousand of pictures she toke of him… she may have not been his mother but she was the best aunt that any child could have asked for. they treat that beautiful boy like the pince of his own little kingdom… there was no better place in the world for that child then there with them. it breaks my heart to think that hes gone..and it kills her every day. and you know your right randy should have left, maybe colton would still be alive if he had.

• advice for guest007 says:

First off I would like to say, God Bless that little baby who isn’t with us on earth today. We need to believe he is in a better place than we are. NOW, GUEST007. You’re a right fighter that doesn’t know their boundaries. You talk to be right and when you are not right, you keep talking. Then you start alluding to things that are very sensitive, emotionally charged and a personnel issue that isn’t for public publication. The thing with right fighters, when you have made what you think is a valid point you continue to talk because your insecurity’s doesn’t allow you to concede/move on. You kept talking because you wanted to the identity of Guest005. This is a public blog that anyone can remain anonymous and that includes you guest007 and guest006. Throwing in accusation against the wrong person to reveal ones identity isn’t the right thing to do. I would also think that if you are an employee of this law firm or was at the time the “former employee”, as you referred to them, was terminated, you are pushing the envelope on violating HEPA laws’ considering the “former employee” was out on a medical according to her Mother’s post. I work with an HR department and can assure you that wasn’t cool. I agree with the person that wrote “this is a public blog”. No one is right and no one wrong so stop fighting to be RIGHT.

• Guestsummerelkins says:

this is summer elkins coltons aunt i lived in that house with randy mybmom and colton yes brandy did leave but itleast she was woman enough to admit that she was not ready for tye mother life but nomatter what she did she loves colton tha was her baby nomatter what she was his mother and if any of yall are a mother than yall shall know. yes i know no one doesnt want to believe that randy did it but guess what he admitted to it all yall commenting stuff when no one knows anything. when precious colton was in chaple hill and the detectives were assuming it was him me and my mom stood by randy. randys family knows i told them. yes randy did sign the birth certificate but honestly he was not eith colton like people thought tulhe only time he took care of colton was when he got off of work and me and mama were sleeping colton would wake up thats the only time me and my mom took care of colton evrryday even when randy was there i still took care of colton. but brandy noo!! she would never hurt him randy was mad and he wanted to sleep thats why he did it. and even though he is family to yall well yall should be ashamed of him he admitted it do yall not understand that if yall dont know what admitted means buy a dictionary im tired of seeing all this free weasel and we know you didnt do it think about it he didnt admit this for someone else this is a murder charge no one would take up for someone with murder…yall are crazy my family is the victims we lost something precious and its not bc god took him its bc a man did this and yall wont him free so what hes your family what he did was unacceptible and i dont understand how yall want him free colton couldnt tell us he was being hurt no one knew but like my mother days you never really know someone and that is completely true cause you dont. shoot my daddy sittin up in jail now about to go to prison but im not out here saying free him he made a crime and tyere is consequences for everyything you do yes it may be family but still lessons need to be learned and randy is guna pay there will be justice for colton tillman if yall dont like it im sorry but he did wrong rather yall believe it or not he is a monster and a murderer coltin was perfect he was an innocent baby go look at pictures of colton and then tell us you want randy the sick man free

• Georgia says:

I am one of the Great Grandmother’s of this child that we never got the chance to meet. I think all of you need to leave it to the court to decide who is guilty. Brandy is my ganddaughter and we love her very much. We don’t know this young man but he is innocent until found guilty in a court of law. Please have respect for both sides of the family and don’t sit and type things just to start pointing fingers. Unless you were there in the house at the time it happened you DON’T know what happened. What i do know is there is a lot of people heartbroken for the loss of this precious baby.

• stwth says:

This young man was put in an unenviable position that no one can judge without having been in his shoes, including the mother since she wasn’t there to know and experience. I don’t know him but I can imagine the circumstances that led to this awful tragedy and I know it happens more than anyone cares to know.

• Guest WHO says:

How many times was this done and by HOW MANY and the mother is to blame for NOT being there for him for if she loved him and he was her world way did she leave him there when she left for the next man {boy} just look back at both his and her facebook before this happen to see who had pics of him and how much each had to say about him my heart goes out to the baby only

• Guestghfcdg says:

I think everyone needs to stop judging. We none know exactly what happened. I understand there where other adults in the home why haven’t they been charged? My heart breaks for the baby. As far as the adults are concerned I don’t know enough to sympathize with or feel rage against any of them. One thing I know for sure is that all children are a gift fro5m God.

• Reba says:

this is what happens when teenagers have babies…all these little girls watch TV…and think they can do it or its a way to keep a boy around..I hope a few other learn from this and use birth control..it only takes one shake to kill a baby…a glance the other way and the bay rolls of the table..they are just way to young to be producing babies…not sure of what happened in this case…but its time kids woke up

Apparently you don’t know the difference between law and life. Mr. Payne is one of the most highly and respected men in this state. His career is focused on one main goal, and that’s giving people a second chance at life. You think you must know him so well to know he has grandkids and is (what you call) an ‘idiot.’ Well maybe if you were not such an idiot to post such false accusations against Mr. Payne, we wouldn’t have this problem. If you want to call someone an idiot, how about you point the finger around and learn how to use correct grammar. This case has nothing to do with the fact that Mr. Payne represents this man or that he is an idiot. Why don’t you do us all a favor and stop posting idiotic comments with incorrect grammar… IDIOT!

What in the world is your problem with Mr. Payne? It seems like you always have a comment about how awful he is to defend people. If you have a problem with him, then take it to him instead of airing it all over the internet. You may not like his profession or the clients he represents, but you would be well served to have him as an attorney if you ever needed one. Be careful about casting stones at the man – you never know when you may need a good attorney.

Randy I a good guy! I find it hard to believe he would do such a thing. I have worked with Randy for many months and he always told me how he goes home and plays with his son while he hangs out. I just hope the truth comes out and a innocent man is not made guilty. I hope you get out randy!

• Guuuuuest ggghjj says:

So the poor little mother goes to the grave every day to see the baby and cry the shame she did not go to see him when he was alive or better yet way did she not have him living with her for if she had. Maybe he be alive today no pity hear for anyone but the baby

Inquiring minds want to know: has everyone associated with the people that live in the household been questioned about the incident? Truly with there being 6 people(the grandmother, mother,aunt#1, aunt#2, Randy and the baby) living in the household that SOMEONE had to be home at all times; seeing how the mother of the child was a “house wife”. There has been no documentation through the BCSO or the news media stating that everyone had been questioned. So exactly what kind of evidence was found or proclaimed to point towards Randy being the “killer”? It amazes me how many people are quick to judge and voice their opinions on a matter that they actually know nothing about. Heresy is just that, word of mouth, words that get twisted with each telling of the story. Do any of you know the story behind Randy and the mother of the child? Randy stepped up to the plate to be this childs father before he was even born, because the biological father was no longer in the picture. You tell me, how can someone willing to do this, be a father of a child that is not his, kill the child? The death of the child could have actually been the conclusion of a series of events over a length of time by EVERYONE that lived in the household! More food for thought!

• Guestgjfjdyrtf says:

you are so right the other residents of that home need to be looked at and very possibly charged. If he did commit this horrible crime he does deserve to be punished. I hope his lawyer will see to it he has a fair trial and the punishment fits the crime.

• george says:

the mother left the baby and doesn’t even live in the house or even the same city. And yes I know this for a fact. I am best friends with randys uncle

You need to remember that he is ACCUSED and just because you admit to something don’t mean you actually did it. Why did Brandy choose to live away from her son? Why wasn’t she there”? If she couldn’t handle motherhood she should have given the baby up for adoption instead she choose to walk away. I don’t know Weasel but I pray he has a just trial. I believe that everyone at that house needs to be looked into: the Grandmother, the “Grandfather” (Bobby Elkins is the real grandfather),and the aunt that resides there. My heart breaks ONLY for the child the true innocent. Not all teen parents are immature but this is a case in which better birth control methods should have been used better yet abstinence should have been practiced.

Thanks for your very valuable comment. If I ever kill anyone I will. Thanks again.

People are constantly judging what they see! All of y’all are talking about how bad he is. How guilty he is! Why is Weasel the only one on trail? What about the mama? Why should Brandy not be questioned? Or the aunts or grandparents?! Many of you people don’t know Weasel! So don’t say he’s guilty already!! Weasel is loving, caring, and a wonderful man. Yes he may seem like a lazy teen but what does that say? He took care of his nephews when needed! He protected the ones he loved, he took care of the house, helped pay bills! Just because he seems lazy doesn’t mean he is an evil man.

Randy we know you are innocent, we know you are grieving, but keep your head up! Mark my words anyone who talks bad about you will regret it! We love you Weasel, stay strong!!!

Who gives the victims of the people he defends a “second chance at life”? I’m pretty sure you haven’t had a family member murdered and now your tax dollars supports that same person for the rest of his/her life. The kind of life your loved one didn’t get. I had an Aunt that was murdered. So instead of attacking me or anyone else that doesn’t share your opinion, and these are only opinions, or attacking people that aren’t as well spoken as guest0006 and guest000004 how about taking those words and write a post to the family of the little baby boy. As far as James Payne’s existence on this planet, it doesn’t impact my life one way or the other. I can assure you he knows I despise him. As far as my idiotic comments, Go to Facebook, W.James Payne Law Firm, Shallotte, North Carolina and take a look at every artical he has linked to his facebook page. Sorry I am not as smart as most of you but at least I care about the victims.

• Gughyjgukhyk.j.lest says:

just look at both of mama and daddy facebook back before any of this happen also look at the aunts the 17 year old aunt dont even live at home looks like she following brandy and their own mamas foot steps was this the first time and who else had harmed the baby ALL need to answer for this!!!!!!!!!!

First off Miss. Elkins you need to work on your spelling dear. People confess to crimes even murder that they did not do all the time. Anyone that looks up your dads record can see the he has been in prison most of your life so it is understandable that you feel the way you do about his impending prison stay. Lets not forget your mother’s “boyfriend” and his violent past and drug abuse. I don’t see how you could trust him with a baby. As far as Brandy goes she should have given the baby up for adoption if she had he would probably still be here today. It takes a sorry person to walk away from their child so I have NO SYMPATHY whatsoever for her. As far as Randy goes he should have left all of you behind when Brandy left for her next boy toy. Randy not being the father should never have been placed in a situation of caring for another mans son. At 19 you are still a child.

• Peter says:

Call me stupid and I’m sure you will, but why would guest0005 or anyone else have to fear this man? guest007 and guest006 talk about how great of a person and lawyer he is but then you make comments like “I would really love to see Guest0005 and any other detractors make those comments to Mr. Payne’s face”. What is he like 7 foot tall and topping out at about 500 lbs. Why are you even wasting you time? I saw his picture in the Wilmington Star News. He doesn’t look that scary or that big. This artical is about a baby being murdered not who is scared to talk to Mr. Payne’s face.

Exactly. Guest0005…I maintain that you grow up and get a life. You are obviously obsessed with Mr. Payne. Probably someone who couldn’t afford to retain him. Whatever. The point is that he is doing his job, and damn well, NOT trying make it so murderers are wandering the streets. This is not about his personal life, and the fact that you bring that up confirms my assessment of you being obsessed with him. Stop being anonymous if you know so much about him and despise him so much. Own up to who you are. Stop hiding behind “Guest 0005″… Oh wait-you’re to scared people in the community would recognize you, because you know you are wrong. Once again…whatever. Guest 2020 had it right…you would never say anything like that to his face…instead you have behave like a teenager and make denouncements behind the safety of your computer. You chastise the person who helps uphold the justice system because the people he is appointed to represent aren’t the prettiest of characters. I might not know who you are, but I can tell you are a low-life. Nothing you can say has any value or weight. You also know you are wrong about his reputation-he is one of the most sought after attorney’s in this area. I personally love that you chose just my comment to reply too. Are there too many people arguing against your ridiculous comment to keep up with? I’d like to make one last point: Everyone pointing their finger at Mr. Payne (even though he is not the Defendant here), remember Atticus Finch. Yes, granted, he is a fictional character, but the point remains. It takes a strong man to represent a person when he knows the whole surrounding community would like to see the Defendant burn. It didn’t matter to Finch the color of the man’s skin, or the fact he was charged with rape; it mattered that he do his job with dignity and honor. Nobody points fingers at doctors who have to save the life of a criminal if need be, no matter how bad the crime. It is the same principal here. Mr. Payne chose to stand up for those who nobody else stands up for. That is not something to be diminished; instead, that is something to be revered. That takes a special kind of character. One that you sir/madam are severely lacking. Don’t take for granted your freedom, because one day you might find yourself in trouble or wrongly accused of a crime. The person who you would look to the most in the world then, would be someone just like Mr. Payne. Remember that.

• Wayne says:

Sure anyone can afford him. He is mostly court appointed. State of NC pays him. Therefore all us trailer park trash could have him defend us. I don’t understand why you are so angry at everyone’s comments. The fact is on wway Everyone shows up as a guest unless they know to change the name and that includes you so I guess your hiding too from everyone. You must really be intimidated by him because you think he is so bad nobody will talk crap to his face. well your wrong. He puts his pants on just like everyone else. I did meet him once at a Christmas party. Didn’t find him scary at all. The more you talk and comment the more bad press you give him. If you had shut up about 32 comments back the comment that made your blood pressure go sky high would be about 3 pages back and these other JA’s wouldn’t still be commenting. This would be yesterdays news. Keep feeding the beast. I am sure he would have appreciated you going on with your work and not wasting time on this. Please don’t waste anymore time commenting back to childish people because all us immature folks are moving on now.

• quest007 says:

You know about his personal life because you used to work at his firm Everyone in Brunswick County knows the truth about that situation. Now who wants to start posting stuff about personal lives? So please be nice and start praying for everyone involved in this precious child’s death.

I have never worked in a law office. Never had any thing to do with the a law office. As a matter of fact never even hired a lawyer. I had an Aunt that was murdered and don’t care too much for lawyers that get live if prison so I can support the person that murdered the victim. Thank you.

• Friends and Family says:

Guest007, I would like to start by saying that I doubt very seriously if “everyone in Brunswick County knows the truth about that situation” especially if it came from that office. What the people in Brunswick County do know is that a very wonderful person was done wrong by her former employer and the state of NC agreed. Unfounded lies used to slander her was what that office started. Her former employer was unable to provide any evidence or documents to back-up what HE used, and I repeat, HE used to dismiss a person that was in intensive care fighting for her life. He didn’t even have the decency to tell her she terminated. He sent a text to her mother and that my dear is a fact. He sent his family and girlfriend to the hospital to act like they cared so much about his employee while she was in a life saving surgery but what he really wanted was for them to gather information for him about what happen. Not one of those people every came back to that hospital to see his employee and the only time he and his girlfriend showed up was to interrogate her family some more about what happen, what was she doing, where was she going, what was she doing on that road, she should have called me to explain herself. She was in a coma for 9 days which makes it pretty hard to talk on the phone. What happen was on December 12, 2011 at 8:33 am a 16 year old boy passed in a no passing zone and hit her and her friend head-on in a car while she was on company business trying to get back to his office for a 9:00 meeting. No more and no less. Her friend passed away at the scene of the accident. His former employee has had 4 major surgeries and has spent a total of 82 days in the hospital since December 12, 2011. The injuries she received in that wreck were life changing so may her friends and family recommend to you that you shut your mouth about something you know nothing about. I can assure you that his former employee has better things to do with her time like living her life.

• Dawn West says:

I don’t know who you are but I have a good idea. My name is Dawn West and my daughter use to work for James and I can assure you that if she is the one that guest007 is implying too you are dead wrong. You obvious don’t know my daughter. My daughter will tell you to this day that James is an EXCELLENT criminal defense attorney. She will tell you that all the cases she worked on with James he was very much aware that there are victims and family of victims and that he would never do anything to further their hurt and pain. She will also tell you that she learnt so much from James about how to prepare criminal cases to best of their ability. Yes, their ability, they were a team. Even with the turn of events that surrounded her departure from James I have never heard her say anything negative about James’s work or his ability to do his job. She had and has the utmost respect for him. She is a free spirit that doesn’t look back at the past. She just moves forward and for you to even imply that she is putting this crap out there just makes me angry. The fact that you don’t know her is most unfortunate for you. If she hadn’t almost died in a car accident she WOULD still be working for James. I better see an apology from you even implying that it is her posting anything out her or I will be calling him. Not putting up with the childish behavior any longer from you and I am really surprised James is tolerating it. That would be most out of character for him. Between my daughter’s medical issues and her college work she doesn’t have time to play games on the internet with low life’s about something as serious as the death of a child. She would be in tears if she had to work on this case with James knowing that a baby lost his life. So stop it right now. Jesus……. I knew better than to read any of these posts. I almost never read any news but I am glad I did today. Since so many people know my daughter and for you to even imply that is unbelievable. You have my name and number feel free to call me. Before you make any comments about my spelling, poor grammar skills or me being an idiot like you have everyone else out here, I would like to suggest to you that you think twice and let it go. Have a great weekend and thanks for you valuable time.

• IMG says:

In 2012 an estimated 112,257 men, women, and children lived in Brunswick County. I’m thinking there is no way in hell that everyone in Brunswick County knows anything about the law firm’s former employee. The law firm would have been much better servered if you had not said anything.

• guestHR says:

That was HIPAA not HEPA. Auto-correct not stupidity. Sorry

• Scott says:

OMG guest007. What is wrong with you? Making false accusations against what I and many believe to be one of the smartest and precisous young ladies I have every had the pleasure of meeting. That lady you are refering to has spent the last 12 years working for Criminal Defense lawyers. I don’t know where your head is to even suggest that she would say anything bad about James Payne or anyone else. In the 20 years I have known her I have never heard her say one bad thing about anyone. On top of that she almost died in car accident that she is still recovering from. Instead of getting support from her employer she got the shaft… You need to check yourself…

• belinda says:

I have to ask myself why would any employee know about his person life unless he shared it with them. Why would a boss talk about his personal life to employees. I have worked for the same man for 7 years and can’t remember if he has 2 or 3 kids and if they are boys and girls. Maybe he needs to keep his personal and professional life separate.

• stwth says:

I personally, at a young age, was left to babysit a baby who cried for hours on end. I remember that sense of frustration of what to do to make it stop. I know what I could have resorted to and I know what this poor young man may have been going through. Until you walk a mile in his moccasins, you cannot judge what the circumstances were. I certainly hope you don’t brand yourself a Christian, because you sure don’t walk the walk.

• stwth says:

I absolutely agree. And while we’re at it, in a state that puts so much emphasis on protecting unborn children, why is there not a greater push for support services for the newborn children whose may be unaware of the challenges they’ll face? In particular young parents but generally any new parent. It’s a steep learning curve and nobody can prepare themselves for an endlessly fussy baby. But for the grace of God go I. I pray for this young man who stepped up to care for this child and got himself in over his head. I pray for the lost baby’s soul. I pray for the grandmother and all who have been affected by this terribly senseless and avoidable tragedy. Parents should not have to reach out: they most likely won’t, as it would be an admission of weakness. There should be controls in place and (gasp) tax dollars channeled into programs to support new parents, particularly young parents or parents with no supports in place. If this state can make it illegal for an employer to carry insurance that covers abortion, then this state can take steps to protect the babies that are born.

• deepest condolences says:

It is a tragedy in and of itself that there is a child that has passed away. My deepest condolences and prayers to the family. It is an unthinkable nightmare that you face now and I know there are many people praying for the family and Randy as well.
    It is unimaginable that a parent could be responsible for the death of a child. Defense attorneys are duty and honor bound s to ensure not that the defendant get off, but that he receive a fair trial. Reasonable doubt is something that every one must take into account as no one commenting on this post knows all the facts of the case and can condemn Randy. The police have done their duty arresting Randy due to evidence. James will now do his duty defending Randy. Men of his caliber and prestige exist so that every one has a fair trial. With the outcome that best serves society as a whole. Randy may be found guilty of this crime by judge, jury and by God, but he will have the best defense attorney he could have. Yes, James is a grandfather and a father to several children which makes him specially suited to defend Randy. I presume that whatever sad soul brought up this fact, must not realize that every individual involved in this case is a mother, father, brother, sister, or grandparent. And certainly we are all someone’s child. Virtuous souls often are faced with situations involving evil and malice. Food for thought.

• I cry 4 u says:

That was not a sad soul. That was an honest angry soul. Big difference. This little baby also had a family and they all are victims . Virtious souls are usually the ones that are the defendant accused of killing a tiny baby. If the lawyer is a father and grandfather what was the big deal with someone posting that. Fact. How do you people think that babies family feels right now. Poor little baby. I wonder if he was scared. he probably knew nothing but pain. What did he do cry for a clean diaper or bottle of milk so instead of changing his diaper or feeding him he got murdered. I have no sympathy for this boy or the person appointed to defend him. Food for thought? Karma will take care of all.

• G says:

Free weasle he didnt do this bs…

• Guest elizabeth hodgin says:

How do you know this, where you there? Colton is blood of my blood flesh of my flesh what was he to you? Does this make this “weasel” a true or real man to put its hands on a baby for if you weren’t so sorry of a person and could not deal with a baby you would have called for some one any one to have helped you with him NOT KILLED HIM. There had to have been enough evidence to support his guilt if there had not been then there wouldn’t have been an arrest made.

• freeerandyrichardson says:

Randy is a loving caring person he did not do this you all will see he has babysat my children many times lived in my home my family Im so sorry for the loss of the baby but Randy is not your person

• Guestsummerelkins says:

no they do not have the wrong guy they got the right one he ADMITTED IT goodness look that word up obviously u dont know it how could yu take up for the man who murdered a baby you are sick to. yeah the mom wasnt tyere but itleast she admitted she couldnt do it instead of staying there pretending yu can like randy did and itleast she didnt hurt him like a randy hes a monster get used to it!!

So everyone who gets arrested is ALWAYS guilty? Hmmm.. i don’t remember that in my Law school books.

Amen…..

• freeerandyrichardson says:

hmmmm last time I checked there where like 6 people in the home or is the news lying ? I am sure someone else was around the baby in the little mobile home ohh where was the mom again oh wait I know never mind. NOT THERE LETTING A KID RAISE HER CHILD who was not even the father but chose to take the roll I hope the real person is found and justice is served but in all do respect they have the wrong guy.

• Guests cod says:

And people don’t understand why lawyers are hated so bad.

And sitting beside him in court was lawyer W. James Payne ready to get another murder off or save his life so tax payers can feed them forever. He has grandkids so you would think he won’t want to defend an accused child murder but this is James Payne.

• Debra Galloway says:

Mr. Payne has no choice but to represent him to the best of his ability. He was appointed to do so.

Don’t try to turn the tables and make this about Mr. Payne. We know who you are and why you’re upset. Grow up. A child has died, so don’t try to make light of that.

• Guest2000 says:

Well at least he & baby mama didn’t give the child up for adoption.

No it’s better to murder the child than to give the baby a home with a married couple that would love & raise the child to adulthood.

Or if not murder then Plan B. Keep the child while getting free rent, utilities, phone, food, medical care, childcare, etc. off the dumb taxpayers…then just dump the kid into the foster care program.

At least not adoption!

Do not blame the mother. Brandy was not there when this happened. Colton SHOULD have been safe in the care of his father.

• Reba says:

well the child would be alive if..IF put up for adoption

• Guestwho says:

Your opinions on adoption, abortion, planned parenthood and social welfare programs is irrelevant. This is a story of a tragic loss of life, not a soap box for you.

W. James Payne is the best attorney in North Carolina. He represents defendants to ensure that they receive fair representation; not to get murderers “off”. Your comment is one of an ignorant citizen (apparent by your lack of spelling and grammar skills); one who doesn’t know the first thing about the law or Mr. Payne, even though you make it seem like you do. His name is one of the most respected names across the state, and you thinking your comment could diminish that is pathetic. Grow up.

I agree with you. Some people just don’t realize that all Americans are Constitutionally guaranteed to the right of council. Someone has to represent these people and James Payne doesn’t back down from the tough cases and he is very good at what he does. I would really love to see Guest0005 and any other detractors make those comments to Mr. Payne’s face.

I know more aobut Mr Payne than you think. Would you like for me put starting typing about his personal life. STFU. Maybe you should go out into the community. He is not One of the most repected lawyers out there. He doesn’t even come in the top 1000 in this area. I can assure you I am far from ignorant that would be yourself.

That was “idiot lawyer” not “idiot attorney”. I guess you have problems reading and remembering it.

• george says:

I live in new jersey. I meet weasel once he seemed nice but yet the typical lazy teen. that being said
    if he did this and let this baby suffer for 5 days then he should suffer for 5 days before he is put to death.
    My condolences to the whole extended family. god is now watching him and he is at peace

I didn’t read anywhere that he let the baby suffer for five days. The baby could have been receiving medical care during those days.

• Guest-a-matic says:

The father is 19. How old is the mother?

A 19-year-old boy (not man) should not be a father. He does not have the maturity to care for an infant.

Was the baby crying, and did the father shake the baby? Probably.

Anyway, tragedies like this would be fewer if we had fewer baby mamas and baby daddies.

• Guestnnjnjknj says:

this is NOT saying much as a mom or dad I can not help but ask form looking at the pic of him “What was he on when this happen”

• Angewidert says:

Well that sure proves he didn’t do it.

Maybe you should take a minute and take a head count just to make sure you still have all of your kids. If it gets too difficult, try counting on your fingers.

• leah says:

Is “Weasel” upset because his child died or because he’s been charged with murder?

• freeerandyrichardson says:

Weasal as you called him is been the one raising this child since the mother decided it would be ok to leave her newborn child with a guy who is not the father / but maned up and took on the role if any of you knew this kid you would all know he is innocent and others need to be checked out trust me before all this she could have gave two hoots what her child was doing p.s also notice all her post about doing drugs etc has been taken off her facebook now replaced with images of the child she decided another man would be worth running off too only a few weeks after child was born along with damaging comments about the only person who maned up for the role of father to this sweet child I feel bad for the family who really cared for this child she is so not what she is betraying if laughing and suck facing her boyfriend is the way a mother who just lost a child should act than she needs mom of the year so I think not the truth will come out thx

You ask if Randy is upset about his baby or being charge? Well I can tell you for a fact that he is upset about his baby. Weasel would never harm a child. The way he stepped up to the place of a father EVEN when Brandy walked out the door and left her son in the hands of a man not Colton’s biological parent! Weasel would never harm Colton! He’s been around children for years. If people would of only seen the way he treated his two nephews, than maybe just maybe they would see the truth! Randy is innocent! There is no possible way a wonderful man like him could of done it! Ask the ***** Brandy!!! Weasel we love you and have faith in you! Stay strong! I’ll see you soon Weasel, I love you!

This is an open forum if you don’t like the comments that are made don’t read them. But not everyone that comments out here is someone you know unless you know the whole universe. Talking about growing up. “We know who you are”. OK You got me. That was silly. LOL

• Guest1972 says:

About Mr Payne?? Has nothing to do with Mr Payne. Yes he is court appointed and these types of people he defends should feel honored he is their lawyer unless you are a family memeber of the many victims of his defendant.

• george says:

brandy abandoned her baby she left him with randy cause she couldn’t handle being a parent. so maybe she and randy should have thought before keeping the baby

• Guest209999 says:

Read the story. He didn’t let the baby suffer for 5 day. He caused the baby to suffer for 5 days. The baby was in the childrens hospital in chappel hill. Then after 5 days of suffering he passed away.