Standoff ends peacefully in Hillcrest community

Tags: , , , ,

Submitted: Mon, 06/10/2013 - 4:06pm
Updated: Tue, 06/11/2013 - 9:53am By:

WILMINGTON, NC. (WWAY) — Wilmington Police had their hands full in the Hillcrest Community Monday afternoon with a standoff that lasted for close to four hours.

Around 10:00 A.M., Wilmington Police were dispatched to North Liberty Ct. in the Hillcrest community for a report of a woman hitting a car with a baseball bat.

Once officers arrived on scene the woman went into her home and barricaded herself inside.

Negotiators were called in and attempted to calm down the woman to bring a peaceful end to the situation.

Just before 2:00 P.M. SWAT team members entered the home and were able to subdue the suspect.

“Our primary concern with all of these types of circumstances is public safety,” said Capt. Jim Varrone, of the Wilmington Police Department. “We have to be not only concerned with our safety but the safety of the person we are trying to get into custody, and the safety of the neighbors so it requires quite a bit of human resources and capital resources out here to manage that.”

After successfully removing the suspect from the home police took a baseball bat and lighter fluid from the home.

The woman was taken by ambulance to a psychiatric hospital in Wilmington to be evaluated.

Police aren’t releasing her name at this time due to HIPAA laws.

• Guest-o-matic says:

On top of that, I’m surprised you even know how to use it well enough to make a post here. I hope and pray that all criminals are as ignorant and stupid as you appear because if they ever get brave enough to attempt to “terrorize” my neighborhood, they’ll be easy marks and we’ll stack ‘em up like cord wood!

Comprende (that means, “Do you understand?”)?

Yo, yo, yo. If you come to my neighborhood you will be greeted by my good friends, Mr. Smith and Mr. Wesson

• Andy says:

I agree with everyone who replied to this person who speaks of terrorizing our neighborhoods. I do have a question though….is it really that hard to spell out the word “that” rather than “dat”? I mean really….your intelligence level is diminished when you speak or write that way.

• Vog46 says:

You’re gonna throw pies (Mrs Smith) and cooking oil (Wesson) at them??

That’s right neighborly of you…
    :-)

Vog

• Guest1984 says:

They aint bout dat life! LoL

…body bags. If you bring punk thug criminal activity to my neighborhood, you will not walk out. It isn’t that we are all billy bad asses, we all worked for what we have and will all fight to keep it. All of my neighbors are armed and we all keep a watchful eye for each other. Those that are retired watch out for those of us still working. It isn’t a hood where “nobody done didn’t see nuffin”

Since when has anyone outside of the medical profession been bound by HIPPA laws?

Please just bulldoze that place

• sosa says:

Yea dat way we can terrorize y’all in your own neighborhood…

• SurfCityTom says:

the WHA do a better job of screening tenants to disallow those with criminal records or those with health issues which cause them to be dangerous to the safety of others?

Considering what the head is paid, there could be a better job done.

• Vog46 says:

What the problem? She was just a disgruntled ballpark supporter trying out her Louisville slugger on a car or two.
    I hope she ‘got ahold of one’.
    It’s awfully hard to ‘swing and a miss’ at a car

Vog

• PublicAvenger says:

For crying out loud. We pay 16 year old girls to get pregnant. Then we give hardened criminals, free houses. Then we demand a end to the drugs and violence.

• windy says:

You mean to tell me there are people living in Hillcrest who are a danger to themselves and others???!!!

• Guest Reply says:

“Police aren’t releasing her name at this time due to HIPPA laws.” (Unquote)
    HIPPA? But yet…the trash mouths were flying open on a daily basis in the news media with “he said/she said” opinions (in print) on mental health issues and accusations about Brian Berger?
    But that was OK I guess :-(