Four arrested, fifth suspect shot after home invasion in Wilmington

Tags: , , , , , ,

Submitted: Wed, 07/03/2013 - 3:15pm
Updated: Wed, 07/03/2013 - 9:56pm

WILMINGTON, NC (WWAY) — Four suspects are in jail and a fifth is in the hospital after a home invasion overnight in Wilmington.

Police have arrested: Angel Domonique Myers, 18, Jay Jawan Cromartie, 23, Jamaar Tyree Walker, 19, and Michael Alexander Betrand 20.

Police also have warrants for the fifth suspect Jamar Hakeen Gordon, 27, of Leland. Gordon was wounded during the invasion and is now hospitalized.

The suspects face multiple charges, including first degree burglary, attempted armed robbery, second degree kidnapping, conspiracy to commit armed robbery and one charge of firearm by a felon.

Police say the suspects broke into a home at 1901 Colwell Ave. just after midnight. Callers told dispatch they heard a gunshot go off inside the home. When officers arrived they found a shotgun and blood on the floor. Investigators say during the invasion one of the victims shot Gordon. No charges are being filed against the resident.

Investigators received information on the suspect vehicle and tracked the suspects to the intersection of South 16th Street and Robin Hood Lane. Police found four of the suspects in the vehicle with guns. All four suspects are in the New Hanover County Jail.

• CARLA says:

I’S BAD THAT TRAYVON PUT HIS SELF IN THIS SITUATION U HAVE’NT LISTEN TO ALL THE EVID EITHER GUEST SO WHY DON’T U GET SMART AS.. AND DO SO BEFORE U SPEAK ABOUT WHERE HE WAS AND WHY, AND THIS WAS A PGC AND TRAYVONS DAD WAS NOT ON THE LEASE AND TRAYVON WAS OUT ON THE PROWL AND HAD HE GOT HOLD OF ZIMMS GUN HE WOULD BE DEAD AND TRAYVON WOULD BE BACK IN MIAMI OFF SUSPENSION AND KNOW BODY WOULD HAVE KNOW HE’D BEEN THERE SO THERE IT IS DO BEFORE U GET DONE

• Vog46 says:

Mr homeowner.
    Defending ones property against “invasion” is totally justified.

Vog

• Off The Cuff says:

This is the very reason I support any person being able to legally purchase any firearm they can to defend themselves and their home. There should be no restrictions when you have “gangs” of thugs going to break in a person’s home and do whatever once inside! I should be able to have assault rifles or any type of legal firearm to defend myself and I do have a few different types………..so thugs, come on down! Love to give the coroner some work to do. You do the crime, no paying the time as that costs us legal taxpayers money! Instant justice when you break into my home. Just sayin’

• 357sig says:

Have you seen the rap sheets for these animals?

This pos has just been releases from prison two weeks ago for kidnapping

This one for assault and battery

Arm yourselves good citizens. The cops are powerless to protect us, the courts don’t care, and DPS thinks they are in the business of rehabilating these worthless dregs of society.

We are all George Zimmerman now.

Bravo Mr Homeowner, to bad you didn’t manage to exterminate every one of them rodents.

• guest111 says:

Good Lord Carla. . where did you go to school? Under an overpass somewhere?

isn’t it illegal for a felon to have a gun…HOW could this happen…

I hope more of these guys meet home owners with guns and meet their ends!

We are not all for George Zimmerman idiot… These guys went into someones home. TRAYVON was minding his on business walking in his dad’s neighborhood. Now you do the math smart a..

• locknload says:

People have fire extinguishers in their homes to put out fires. People who don’t have guns in their homes are just plain silly. Arms aren’t for hugging. They are for homeowners to protect their families and belongings from punks who think they own the world. Also, a weapon is only as good as the person holding it. Keep ure weapons loaded too. Ure not gonna have time to load it while these punk thugs are coming thru your window. Stay safe out the people!

• wALKING MINDING MY OWN DAMN BUSINESS says:

Do you know that he was assualted. We know that he killed a young man when he was asked to no longer follow the suspect or alleged suspect. So you walk at night along a street and let someone follow you when your minding your own business. Last time i checked that was no cause to be killed or to be called a suspect. This is suppose to be still a free country. Or is that just for some of us.

• FOOD FOR THOUGHT says:

Strongly believe in defending what is mine. But before we throw out the baby with the bath water. Homeonwers with guns usually get killed by their firearms. Their firearms get stolen and used in other crimes. Most homeowners with guns have little to no training in the technique and care of their weapon. Their weapons are ofetn used on their own family members. And before we call this homeonwer a saint. Need to do a background check because not all gun owners dont own their guns legally. So why have an ilegall weapon with you if you are not a law abiding citizen… Food for thought

• George W. Obama says:

Just remember folks…when seconds count…

911 is only 20 minutes away.

I am a female in my mid 60’s and I have two guns in my home. If someone breaks in to my house I will blow them away instantly. I have thought about what it might do to me emotionally afterward to take a life and I can live with that rather than let them hurt me. In case you are wondering, I have been trained on how to shoot a weapon and actually, not to pat myself on the back, I am a very good shot. ALL women, young and old need to take a class and have a gun in your home.

• charles c says:

No you strongly believe in parroting lies that have been dis-proven time and time again. You strongly believe the anti gun propaganda lies

Your ignorance of the Zimmerman facts is appalling.

• Prepared says:

Just walking through his fathers neighborhood…poor little league football player…just a baby…sweet, kid, thinking about church and doing good for the community. Bull, he was looking for trouble and anything he could steal. Any CRACKER he could beat down. You gonna die tonight mother f…. I’m bigger than you so u gonna get beat down. I and most I know are tiard of your black whining…you live like you do because you act like you do. YOUR LAZY, you hateful, your stupid, your dishonest…NEVER wanting to work for a living, just lie, steal, dance, fight, party and stand on the street corner or out in the street. Trayvon got what he deserved. he started a fight and the better man put him down…It doesn’t matter how big you are, it’s how smart you are and how well your are armed. One bullit, dead punk. Break into my house and you better surrender FAST!

• Bigbill22 says:

This happen to me about 20 years ago, stranger entered my apartment late at nite, I was locked and loaded, it wasn’t until I heard him speak that I knew he was drunk off his ass and entered what he thought was his place, I’m glad I used good common sense not to shoot first or my life would have been ruined, be careful out there, we still have young kids that do stupid s*** when drinking.

• PublicAvenger says:

Every law abiding citizen NEEDS a gun. If this isn’t a perfect example, I don’t know what is.

Great job WPD. Too bad nothing’s going to happen to these low-life, monster thugs. The DA, and the courts will have them all, back on the street, in less then 2 weeks.

• Old Dog says:

They also do deadly things when they are drunk. I moved from a place when three drunk High School Seniors, all members of the school football team, decided to beat a man to death with their fists. Then they went home and texted each other about how great it felt to kill someone and how they wanted to do it again. The latter after they sobered up. Drunk or not you need to assess the threat and not the person.

I remind you that it is not illegal to follow anyone for any reason. It is illegal to assault someone, even if they are following you. You seem to think that GZ should have just let himself be beaten to death because he followed a young man. Nope, the law does not work that way and I suggest that you educate yourself on what is legal and illegal. The day we start judging people based on emotions is the ruination of our country. There were marks on TM’s knuckles and no sign that he was hit other than the bullet. On the other hand GZ had visible signs of being beaten and despite the condition of his wounds, with blood choking you and dripping down your head, you are in no position to call a doctor to assess your wounds or let the other guy keep beating you until you pass out.

If I walk up to you and slap your face and you hit me with a crowbar over the head, you go to jail because your use of force was excessive to my actions. Using your logic, if I was shoved a little by an angry person I could beat the heck out of him and he has no right to defend himself? Education is a good thing so read the law before you judge anyone.

• evlblkrifle says:

Priceless

• Realife says:

• Gramps1945 says:

Just a bunch of Trayvon Martins, having a little fun, doing what comes natural. Going after “Cracker”, as Trayvon put it in his posts.

• Jasper Fant says:

These people broke the ceasefire which should be unforgivable. If they used an assault weapon maybe the federal government will get involved. If the homeowner used an assault weapon look for all the government initial groups to throw the book at him, plus the perps used an SUV.

• GuestUSMC says:

Jasper..assault weapons are not illegal. Fully automatic ones are. You might want to read up on the subject.

Did you really think the ceasefire was going to work? These idiots don’t know what ceasefire means.

• Guest2012 says:

Locked and loaded. Likewise, they’ll be no criminals taken off to jail after a home invasion here.

Signed,

A law-abiding, 2nd Amendment advocate, 58 year-old, 12 gauge ready female.

• Guest-o-matic says:

I encourage every non-felon woman I can find to adopt your very attitude!!!

• Me, Myself, and I says:

Nothing at all ever happens to these thugs. George Zimmerman, will go to jail, for being whige, and standing up against lowlifes, like these.

• Wilmington Resident says:

Soneone forces entry into my home, they ain’t leaving alive. Too bad these punks didn’t all get sent to Hell.

• Jasper Fant says:

Guest my good man I was being sarcastic. There is no sillier sight in the world than to hear a limp wristed politician scream about evil assault weapons.

• taxpayer says:

Somebody didn’t get the memo that Ralph wants folks to quit shooting at each other…at least for 90 days.

nothing good happens after midnight.

• beach guy says:

I guess they tried to rob someone that owned a gun good for the victim and the bad guys got shot and caught. It is a win win as far as I am concerned. They are lucky the intended victim did not have a shot gun. It could have been a lot worse for them my reason being it is tough to only graze someones head with #4 buck.

• Guestwho says:

…..that Wilmington residents aren’t going to take this BS anymore! there’s been 3 break ins in my neighborhood alone in the past three months, and I don’t live in a bad area of town. I guarantee there will be no use for a hospital if you break into my house. It will be a one-way trip brotha.

Unfortunately, these guys will be back on the streets in no time. Hopefully the next victim they choose has some hollow .45’s

• Pro Gun says:

anti gun advocates now? Do stories like this make national news? Probably not since it don’t fit into the agenda of the Progressive Nation.

Way to go home owner with a gun. We need more like you.

• GoodNews says:

No one wants to be invaded but it’s great that the victim was ready and able to repel the invasion. If the victim was not armed, they could have sent him to the hospital. I will used deadly force on anyone who tries to enter my home forcibly. They won’t leave alive.