REPORT IT: Kayaker gets stuck in marsh at OIB

Tags: , ,

Submitted: Tue, 07/23/2013 - 9:08pm
Updated: Wed, 07/24/2013 - 12:12pm

OCEAN ISLE BEACH, NC (WWAY) — It turned out to be a long, hot day for a kayaker who got stuck in marsh mud off the west end of Ocean Isle Beach.

Darrell Hatchell sent us photos of the man he says was there for hours.

The Ocean Isle Beach Fire Department said the man got stuck in low tide in the East Channel. Firefighters said with no threat of severe weather, all they could do was wait for the tide to come back in.

If you see news happen, REPORT IT! Click here to upload your pictures or video, or e-mail them to ReportIt@wwaytv3.com.

• Guest Reply Redux says:

Maybe the water wasn’t floaty enough!
    I don’t know…who cares?????

Stuck? I don’t know how many times I have gotten my jon boat “stuck” in the creeks/marsh at low tide….. Did I call the fire dept? Nope, got out and walked and drug the boat…..

• IRECKON says:

Lets be nice and give him the benefit of the doubt-maybe he had flip flops on! If you own a boat, you have done more than one stupid thing with it! No? Do not fear its coming!

• Guest-o-matic says:

Now this is some groundbreaking news and it has to do with total stupidity! Running aground in a boat (a real boat) and getting stuck while the tide is in ebb is one thing. To allow that to happen when you’re in a silly one-man kayak is another!

Ya pick the kayak up (or drag it if you’re lazy) and transport it to where it will float again and go home. Yain’t from ’round these parts are ya? Geeeeez…..

• ChefnSurf says:

The printed instructions that came with his new kayak were written in Chinese.

I hope he packed his sunscreen.

• RSimmons says:

I have been caught in those marshes myself. You step in that mud and you will go in waist deep in a lot of places. BTW it was never said the kayaker call the FD to get him out.