McCrory signs NC abortion legislation into law

Tags: , , , ,

Submitted: Tue, 07/30/2013 - 2:29am
Updated: Tue, 07/30/2013 - 12:17pm

RALEIGH, NC (AP) — North Carolina Gov. Pat McCrory is signing into law a route toward tougher regulation on abortion clinics that supporters say will enhance safety and opponents contend will force most to close.

McCrory said Monday the law he signed doesn’t limit access to abortion clinics.

The law directs the Republican governor’s Department of Health and Human Services to regulate abortion clinics using the same standards as those for outpatient surgical centers.

Opponents say that would effectively close most of the state’s 16 abortion clinics since only one now meets those standards. A state regulatory official says an ambulatory surgical center costs about $1 million more to build than an abortion clinic and it’s unclear how much it would cost existing clinics to convert to higher standards.

(Copyright 2013 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)

• PublicAvenger says:

Yes. It is “horrible” that our elected Governor, is using his authority to keep innocent children from being murdered.

• Guesthankhill says:

We need more babies! Babies grow up and need toys and clothes and stuff!!! They need to go to school–ok, maybe not that!

Babies need to grow up and work at Wal Mart and Rose’s (real Gov Art Pope’s stores) and Chik-fil-A. If they get sick, the babies need drugs (good for all the drug companies!) so they can keep living to keep working!!! But the places they work aren’t going to pay for those drugs, you stupid babies, so just don’t get sick!

If they don’t work, the babies can join the military and go far away to fight wars (oops, maybe die or get a leg blown off) so all the rich guys that make weapons can get richer! Or maybe get more oil or coal or diamonds! When babies come back from the war, too bad there won’t be any good jobs for them!

If the babies don’t work and don’t go to war, well, they might be bad babies and do crimes and go to prison. Oh, well, those prisons are privately run now and some more rich dudes are getting rich building them and creating jobs, right?

BABIES!! Ladies, we need more-for working, for fighting and for locking up! So get to it!

-brought to you by ALEC, the Koch Brothers and Art (MAXWAY, baby) POPE

• Vog46 says:

is what happens when you try to legislate abortion:

Our law is not the same as IND’s – but apparently judges take this kind of crap seriously.
    So in our legislative rush to correct perceived injustices we are looking at court cases involving abortion and other things when federal judges throw monkey wrenches into the laws.
    They would have been better off just using state resources for promulgating religions here – at least folks who “believe” are against abortion.

Secular law, pertaining to a secular issue……..

Vog

They don’t want abortions outlawed because that would force women into back alley abortions, yet they oppose a measure that will force the abortionists to give the same standard of care that surgeons must adhere to. I guess they just cannot make up their minds what they want.

What I want to know is what prompted this legislation? Sarcastically speaking, I guess there were women being injured or killed in these substandard clinics. Doubt it. Sounds like more government intervention to me.

• Guestomfg says:

McLIAR. Lets have MORE unwanted children in NC. Lets have MORE children in poverty. Lets have MORE children in the system… food stamps, welfare, Foster Care. Hope all of you anti abortion folks want to pay to support all the unwanted children.

• Guest_wanted says:

Maybe YOU were unwanted?

• Vog46 says:

I’d vote for a man who keeps his campaign promises – especially if those promises align with my way of thinking.
    His campaign promise as indicated by You Tube video of the debates indicated he would sign NO new abortion legislation. “NONE”
    This aligned with my way of thinking as I appose abortion, but I don’t believe I should apply my views on another voter just because my religious beleifs say abortion is murder.
    Pat, by saying “NONE” aligned his legislative outlook with mine.
    By going against what he said he diminished the office and himself. I am bitterly disappointed by this.
    This would be like the Dems saying no new taxes and then raising the heck out of them after they got elected.
    They paid the price for that.
    And I’m afraid McLiar will too

Vog

• SurfCityTom says:

did you actually read the bill he signed?

He took no stand on abortions. He is neutral on the subject.

What the bill requires is that any abortion clinic must meet the same health standards as any other clinic providing medical care or services.

What’s wrong with that?

Now if many of the clinics do not meet the minimum health standards required to open their doors as other clinics must meet, should they not be required to update and upgrade facilities?

Again, I’m missing it as to all of the opposition.

• SurfCityTom says:

think about what you are saying.

Plan A — veto the bill; Legislature gets called back into session to override his veto. You know they had the votes. End result, the state picks up the expense, needlessly, so he can make a point and satisfy you. Cause remember, Legislators get paid when they are called back into session.

Plan B — do nothing for 10 days and it goes into effect. I guess that satisfies you too.

Plan C — sign it and get on with the business of the state.

The bottom line, the bill becomes law no matter what.

But wait, the bill says nothing about a female’s right to an abortion. It merely states abortion clinics must meet the same standards as any other medical clinic.

So, where did he lie?

Vog, you can not have it both ways.

• Vog46 says:

And you know it.
    The governor does to normally submit legislation nor does he take part in writing legislation and they very seldom take part inthe discussion of the bill(s).

He said NONE when asked what new abortion legislation he would sign as governor.
    he lied

It’s a question of your honesty, your tone and timbre.
    and McCrory failed.
    He should have vetoed the legislation to keep his campaign promise which is what the voters used to make their determination as to his fitness for office. I guess he’s not fit – eh/
    He’s a damned liar and has no business being in office

Vog

If morality cannot be legislated then why are the prisons full of people who were convicted of immoral acts?

• Rick Wilson says:

Putting them in prison does not make them moral.

• Rick Wilson says:

Yes I do think they are stupid. Time will tell who is right, but I believe they are going to take it on the chin when the next election rolls around. Button issues like gay marriage and abortion are for idiots that believe you can legislate morality……….you can not and never will be able too…….But by all means keep believing…..while you are distracted both parties continue to steal us blind.

• Screwedagain says:

I understand your frustration, Guest2231, but you must, must, MUST vote in the next governor election. It will be a pleasure to rid our beautiful state of the vermin now infecting Raleigh!

As a republican against abortion I can say I probably will not be voting in the next governors election. If someone does not want to have their kid, it’s their business not mine. And why should we as tax payers have to, more than likely, support this child?

• Guest_republican says:

As a Person, you should be concerned about babies. That is one of the problem today.

If the government didn’t pay for our abortions, or child support, there would be more accountability and responsibility.

How about families take care of each other, not the government. I guarantee you we would raise our kids better if we need to rely on them as we aged. Look at other Asian countries where family values are so strong, they take care of each other.

But then again, what do you care, isn’t not your business…….

Vog you are wise on many issues but a political consultant you are not.

• Vog46 says:

Governor Liar

Goodby Pat………..

Vog

PS – he would have been far better off politically to veto the legislation and let the Legislature over ride his veto.

• SurfCityTom says:

to what purpose?

He knew the votes existed to override his veto. He knew if he vetoed the bill, the Legislature would have to continue in session to review and take action on any bills he vetoed.

That costs money as the legislators get paid; the lights and hvac in the Legislative chambers have to be turned on. That costs taxpayer dollars.

So he did what he felt was most cost effective even if politically unsound for him. That’s why he is Governor.

I thought you understood the legislative process. He did not introduce the bill; he did not write it; he had no part in the discussion of the bill. He could only veto it or sign it. He chose the more cost effective path, at least initially.

• Guesty12 says:

you have no clue on the subject you speak on. So don’t

• KillAllTheBabies says:

This is just ridiculous. We should be able to kill babies in this country when and wherever we choose. And we should be able to kill them with a coat hanger, scissors to their spine, or drilling a hole in their heads and sucking out their brains. I know that I do have a choice to keep my knees together and nobody is forcing me to have sex or get pregnant, and birth control is essentially free, and every gas station, drug and grocery store in this country sells condoms but that’s not the point. I am lazy and I care only about myself and not some stupid crying baby. I should be able to get an abortion like I get my coffee….drive threw!! And don’t get me started on health standards for clinics. They don’t even have those for fast food restaurants. Oh, well ok they do but having a sterilized environment for a surgical procedure is overrated anyway. I mean after all you are just killing a baby. I am so glad I am on the right side of this issue.

• SurfCityTom says:

What did you miss in his campaign or in my comments? There was no way possible he could prevent the bill from becoming law.

He had to sign it OR he could veto it which would cause the legislature to remain in session, or be called back into a special session, to override his veto.

There was nothing he could do to prevent it’s enactment.

So he did the right thing, which by the way subjects him to ignorant comments such as yours, and signed it.

Saving money in the short term for North Carolinians. And that was the basis of his campaign. To cut wasteful state spending.

But what does the law really do? It DOES NOT make abortions illegal. It merely requires abortion clinics to meet the same health standards of other medical clinics.

How does that hurt?

Just for the record, what would you have done?

And given your reference to his Mother, I think you owe her an apology.

There may be questions as to his intelligence. Your post removed any doubts about yours.

• GuestMan. says:

I feel so bad about myself now. Spin it anyway you like, he is still a stupid or a lying SOB.
    His mother owes us an apology.

• SurfCityTom says:

I did not spin anything. I read the bill which became law.

So why not put up or shut up.

The law does not, I repeat does not, make abortions illegal. It in no way limits the rights of females to obtain abortions.

It merely states that clinics providing abortions must meet the same health standards as traditional medical clinics.

Now how is that bad.

Come on, you can do it. Put up or remain silent.

You make blathering remarks with no substance.

So where did he lie?

• GuestMan. says:

How many women died while getting abortions at clinics last year? More died from getting infections at NHRMC last year from it being filthy than from abortion clinics. The last statistics I saw in 2008 over 1.19 million legal abortions were performed in the USA with 12 fatalities TOTAL.
    Once again, solutions for problems that don’t exist.
    I certainly hope that clinics don’t have to lower their standards to catch up with NHRMC, Dosher, Pitt or any of the other health care facilities in this area that people think so highly of.
    By making it more difficult for women to find a facility that meets the new standards he made it more difficult to get an abortion and he lied.

• SurfCityTom says:

6 year old national statistics to try and make a point.

Were there any validity to what you say there would have been testimony, prior to the votes being taken, to prove your points.

Testimony was never given; because it was not there.

Cleaner, more sanitary facilities have to provide a safer environment for a woman who chooses to undergo this proceedure.

Standards have been set which the facilities must meet. That in no way limits a woman’s right to an abortion.

There is no substance to what you state.

McCrory did not lie. He never issued any position on abortions. He did not send legislation to the House and Senate for consideration.

He signed, as he is required to, a passed piece of legislation forwarded to him with votes. Like it or not, he did his job.

• SurfCityTom says:

I had forgotten the third choice.

I’ll ask him why he did not go with that option; although I would imagine just as many would be slamming rocks his way for taking the easy way out.

• GuestMan. says:

I guess we’re past the point where we expect people to do what they say. Did he not think this would happen when he ran for governor? So either he is a liar with no sense of honor to do what he says, or, he is a stupid SOB.
    Either way he is no good for NC.

He didn’t need to sign or veto it. If he took no action for 10 days when legislature is session, or 30 days when legislature is not in session (they’re not), the bill becomes law without his involvement.

• Guestvog48 says:

Keep ‘em barfoot and pregnant, Pat! Next time, we’ll take away their right to vote! YEEEEEHAW! It’s great to be in NORTH CAROLINA!

• CoastalJade says:

Don’t like NC?
    What is stopping you from going?

• Rick Wilson says:

I was completely and totally sick of former Governor Bev Perdue. This clouded my judgement when I voted for Pat McCrory. I had hopes that he would at least keep his campaign promises. He has just joined a long list of politicians whose motto appears to be “Tell them anything to get elected, and then do as you damn well please.” When the Republicans get swept out of office in 2014, and a Democrat takes back the Governor’s Mansion in 2016, look in the mirror to see why.

The Republicans need to understand that they will never be elected to the White House again until they realize there is a huge difference between governing all of the people instead of trying to shove medieval, outdated principles down everybody’s throats. I hope they figure this out before Hillary Clinton becomes the next President of the United States. That in my opinion would be a tragedy……

Do you think all of these Rep politicians are stupid? I predict more seats will be won in 2014. They finally have control and did what their base wanted them to do. Where do you think all the votes have come from the last couple of years to put them in charge. Surly not from Liberals or moderates. Gay marriage lost by a 60/40 split last year. That should tell you something about how NC is shaping up these days.

• Guestgr says:

Great job, GOP/McCrory! Now the taxpayers will have to PAY to defend this unconstitutional law when the Dept. of Justice challenges it. And meanwhile, our teachers’ pay is cut. Oh, the humanity.

Exactly what was the reasoning behind draconian legislation?? No medical groups supported it. It was tacked on in the wee hours onto a Sharia law bill (really?!) and then a motorcycle safety bill. Were they being sneaky and thought no one would notice? If McCrory, Goolsby, Tillis, etc. were so adamantly anti-abortion, why didn’t any of them mention it in their campaigns? In fact, McCrory LIED when asked if he would enact further restrictions.

This law stinks of ALEC-influence and it makes NC voters look mighty stupid.

• SurfCityTom says:

The Governor had no part in the bill drafting. He had no part in its discussion or vote.

It was presented to him after it passed both houses. He had to make a choice.

Veto it with the sure certainty his veto would be overruled on a revote. No chance his veto would stand the test of a revote. That keeps the legislators in session for additional days during which they each continue to be paid.

OR, sign it into law.

It was going to happen one way or the other. He took the path least costly, initially, to the taxpayers.

probation or house arrest.

• Guestvog48 says:

I’m in HOG HEAVEN here in NC! I’m never gonna leave! My boys runnin’ the place now. Things are goin’ to go back to the way things was in my grandaddy’s time.

Go back to NEW JERSEY yankees!

• 1SG America says:

With all this ignorance, how about lets ABORT the Mother and Father of the child that God gave life too. I bet you there want be a long to if that happened. So if you don’t want kids, then don’t have SEX, that simple, but if you do have SEX and then don’t want the child. Well then put a GUN to your head and end your life also. If everyone thinks its ok to just MURDER an innocent child, well then lets go one step further and take the life of BOTH PARENTS. That will solve most of the issues, since they are not good parents and never would be anyway. Heck while we are at lets take the parents of both of these IDIOTS also that we can stop the gene pool all together!

My regards!