22 Comments for this article

Tags: , , , ,

EMERY P. DALESIO
Associated Press

CHAPEL HILL, NC (AP) — Gov. Pat McCrory says he wants to spend $30 million over the next two years on finding education innovations, but that won’t be possible without Washington’s approval to redirect federal Race to the Top money.

McCrory spoke about education Thursday at a conference hosted by the state’s chamber of commerce. He’s proposing a package of extra funds that schools would need to compete for by showing changes that improve student performance, similar to the president’s Race to the Top program.

McCrory emphasized that North Carolina’s new budget will spend more on kindergarten through 12th grade students than last year. But the legislation specifies that classrooms will get $117 million less than what they would have if lawmakers changed nothing but accounted for increased enrollment and inflation.

(Copyright 2013 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)

Comment on this Story

Related News

Pat McCrory arrives at Trump tower on December 7, 2016 (Photo: CNN)
18 hours ago
0 Comments for this article
Pat McCrory arrives at Trump tower
Read More»
Donald Trump is the 2016 Time Person of the Year (Photo: Nadav Kander/Time)
21 hours ago
0 Comments for this article
Trump is Time magazine’s Person of the Year
Read More»
Donald Trump thanks North Carolina voters during his 2016 Thank You Tour stop in Fayetteville on Dec. 6, 2016. (Photo: Sarah Johnson/WWAY)
1 day ago
0 Comments for this article
Trump says ‘thank you’ to NC supporters
Read More»