It’s Cacky’s last day

Tags: , , , ,

Submitted: Fri, 08/02/2013 - 1:11pm
Updated: Mon, 08/05/2013 - 5:55pm

Well, it’s happening again. A valued member of our WWAY News Team is leaving us to get married and start a new life.

I’ll never forget the first second I met Cacky. She flew into ILM late one Saturday afternoon for the interview and the first thing I thought was, “Dang! You’re TINY!” I think that’s the first thing a lot of people say when they first meet her (some say it in their heads, others blurt it out not thinking.) We manipulate her chair on set when she’s anchoring so she matches Chris. But when you see her in person, you know what I mean. In fact, Cacky came back from a Brunswick County Commissioners meeting one night and told us Commissioner Bill Sue had called her “Lil’ Bit,” as in, “You’re just a Lil’ Bit!” It was a great line and it’ll always remind me of Cacky.

She was quick to charm me and Andy Combs, our General Manager, that evening at the interview dinner. Over wonderful steaks at the Bridge Tender, her soft Southern drawl, her quick sense of humor and her passion for news made this decision easy. She had the job if she wanted it.

She and Chris started about the same time. I remember bringing her in Sunday night so they could do a rehearsal together on the set. I was nervous, because sometimes anchors don’t get along. These two, though, fast became best friends. And that’s something special you could see on the air every night.

Now, two years later, Cacky has fallen in love. She and the other Chris met at a wedding last year and it was instant attraction she says. Problem is, she lives in Wilmington; he, in Fairfax, VA.

So, on Friday, August 2, she’ll bid us all farewell as she works on her fall wedding in Mexico and relocating to Northern Virginia.

Cacky is one of those special ones that you hope stays forever. She’s been a guiding mentor for many of our young reporters. She’s a joy to work with, and I hope you’ve enjoyed watching her bring you the news.

“Lil’ Bit,” you will be missed… greatly. Good luck with this next step of your life. We only wish you happiness and contentment.

Scott you do realize that she is engaged, right?? Why doesn’t your boss tell you that enough is enough! Please dude, let this go. For no other reason than your own self respect.

• Guest enough already says:

Look she was a decent reporter for a small news station. It did not hurt the she was attractive either. But, she is no Barbara Walters or Katie Couric. Why didn’t you do this when Asha left? I thought she did a really good job for you guys.

• Frank Archer says:

Only met her once but was impressed with her professionalism and personality. Her ability to connect with people is wonderful. I am sorry to see this beautiful young lady leave the area. I wish her the best and hope that she will have good memories of the Wilmington area. Good Luc Cacky

• OtherGuest says:

Most just “disappear” and a few days later the viewer thinks “oh, what happened to…..?”. Or, if watching the final appearance, then there might be a brief statement as to the departure.

This seems to be some perverse obsession. I hope that whoever continues to repost this story will be alright after she is gone.

• Guestsfndi says:

Buh bye.

• Bob says:

I always liked listening and watching Cacky – always wondered if “Cacky” was her real name? I lived in Fairfax area for 20+ years so it’s a “shock” to the lifewtyles here, but I wish her all the best. We loved her professional look and soft southern accent. Good Luck Cacky!

• DailyViewer says:

I’m so sorry to hear that Cacky is leaving WWAY. She has just the right blend of professionalism and personality to be an excellent yet engaging news anchor. I met her at a Health Fair earlier this year and she is just as personable in person as she is on air.
    I also have to agree with some other comments posted about Makenzie Henderson. She is very stiff and acts as if she has a “superiority” complex. She doesn’t appear to enjoy what’s she’s doing and doesn’t seem to relate well to co-workers. I don’t enjoy watching her, and hope that WWAY will launch a search for someone else to replace Cacky.

While I’m happy for Cacky and the new life she is beginning, I’m sorry we won’t see her on the news each night. Best of luck Cacky, we’ll truly miss you.

• Mile says:

Cacky was a delight. This new girl isn’t. The Barbie Doll want to be has been an irritation since day one. I quit watching Good Morning Carolina when she came on board. She is so fake. I really don’t think she understands what she is reading. You might as well buy a computer program to read the news.
    Again sorry to she Cacky go – it won’t be the same without you.

• SarahTT says:

The handsome man who interviews guests and politicians on the business break time segments! He is EYE CANDY!

• RSimmons says:

You will love that area, I lived in Fairfax and worked in Washington for 10 years. If they had a beach and great sailing I would still be there.

• WX_Guy says:

Cacky’s departure is reminiscent of Mark Green leaving the show ER. What’s next, the dream sequence where we wonder if she really left or if it was just a dream?

Good luck Cacky. May you find joy as you embark on the next phase of your life.

Would like to see the new gal smile some and interact with those she’s talking to. I thought maybe she was nervous at first but I think this is her personality. Lighten up a bit and enjoy the ride.

• Cacky Catlett says:

Wow, I am blown away by your well wishes and kind words! I have been so blessed to call Wilmington home for the last two and a half years. Besides living in this charming, coastal town, I’ve met the most genuine and kind-hearted people. You have touched my heart and left a lasting imprint in my mind. Thank you for welcoming me in your homes each evening. It has meant more to me than you will ever know!

Cacky

• dean bailey says:

like who care if she gone bye dont come back

• As soon as I saw Cakey I knew she would’t be here long. Too much talent. She is headed to the top! I do however like Mckenzie Phillips woth her direct delivery and UhHum, Nice Looks, she sure keeps your attention. May you be with us a long time.

I always loved the way she played off of Chris Phillips. She never seemed surprised at the crazy stuff he has to say.

• Gramps1945 says:

Cacky was great. Seeing her young, pretty, face, and energy, really helped. Any story was an exciting one, if she was doing it.

And Ricky, you lay off Chris. He works hard, and does a great job. Don’t be mad. Just because he doesn’t put up with your fake, childish, sideshow antics. And, by the way, that mean comment, proves you’re not the innocent, slow-talking, “Forrest Gump” you pretend to be.

Cacky, and Chris were a great team. Good luck to you Cacky, and your lucky future husband. We will miss you.

• Guest 1969 says:

…the 2nd reason: She got tired of people who couldn’t spell reason correctly.

• Yankee-spy says:

Cocky, you will need a bunch of patience, time, and a car with great miles to the gallon. Not to come back here, but to sit in the gridlock that goes with living there. Forget making any appointments, because you can never tell how long you are going to be. I grew up in an area fairly near there, and I will warn you about moving there. It is LA but worse! I returned back to the area yesterday. It only took sat in traffic near Fairfax for three hours in the HO lane. The joke of a two way race track. You were supposed to be able to zip right down I95 on it. The only thing it does is trap you within it’s walls. A grand total of nearly twelve hours. US 17 is no better. But love is said to overcome everything!! Best of luck on your future..

We all liked Cacky. But, it is time to let it go. Good grief, man!! We get it you really really liked Cacky!!

• Vog46 says:

She’s gone.

As should this story be gone as well

Move on WWAY

Vog

• OtherGuest says:

This has been, by far, the biggest news, and has remained at the top of the list for three days, along with the infomercial as lead story on television for the new nightclub downtown.

• Julie Plummer says:

I am SO proud and happy for my BEAUTIFUL niece, Cacky! I have watched her anchor time and again and I still can’t believe that my sister’s tiny twin girl has grown up to be such a professional journalist and anchor! To really know her is to know a deeply sincere person who is truly interested in and loves people and animals (she’s an avid animal lover!). Her faith is what keeps her strong and joyful and she makes you happy just to be around her :)…..I’m thrilled God sent her a man to walk through this life with and to love her all her days…….Love you Cack <3……Aunt Ju

• Guest 1492 says:

She got tired of people not being able to spell her name correctly.

• PublicAvenger says:

We’ll miss Cacky. She was one of the best.

• JustAViewer says:

I, too am sad to see Cacky go, but the new girl is a human being, who can see these comments. There really is no need to be mean, instead give helpful criticism. It is rather easy to hide behind the safety of the Internet, but if you wouldnt say these things to her face, then don’t write it on here. Makenzie, I hope you’ll do a terrific job and we welcome you to the area. Good luck. We are cheering for you.

• ChefnSurf says:

I like Cacky. She’s upbeat, nice to look at, reads the news well and writes better than most of your junior reporters (including a few who should consider a course or two in remedial English or Journalism).

However …….It’s time to stop saying goodbye and move on dude. We’ve all been standing at the bus station and waving goodbye for six days now (as of 7/22/13). My arm and wrist are developing carpal tunnel syndrome. Let the bus leave the station and find something new to post. At the very least, let the natural effects of gravity slide the article down the page a bit.

In all seriousness, this is getting to be unprofessional behavior on your part.

(One more thing: Cacky, you were a pleasure to watch. Good luck in Virginia.)

She plays off of Chris Phillips so well. I will miss that rapport that they had. I hope the best for her. I had a niece get married a couple of weeks to go. They sure grow up fast.

• Me,Myself, and I says:

I’ll miss you Cacky.

And Chris, I’m glad you’re still around, you do a great job. You are a big part of our community. Hope you stay on for 20 more years. Hope your next partner is half as good as Cacky.

And “Guest2020″, I can’t even begin to tell you how much I disagree with your, rude, mean, inaccurate, comment.

• Anita says:

No Cacky cant leave!!!!!

• SurfCityTom says:

when she hits Northern Virginia.

Traffic; obnoxious residents; Metro.

Good Luck

that’s going to be a shame, she was likeable from the start, a warm and sincere person, the new girl just come’s across entirely different, yaw need to keep searchin

Ummm I sorta have to agree, YA”LL!!!

• was a faithful watcher says:

Well I guess I’ll have to go watch Francis over at channel 6 – Can’t take this Makensie lady. She’s mean and angry all the time. At least that’s how she comes off.

• Ryan Lee Burris says:

Hate to see Cacky go!! I wish her, and her new husband-to-be the best!!! And BTW, I love the new girl, brilliant addition in my opinion!!!!

I have enjoyed watching her on the news. I wish her the very best life has to offer! Congratulations!!

• Darrell Jackson says:

I have read the comments that have been posted about Cacky Catlett’s departure, and many must understand the television news business is challenging at times, but i want to say that she did a great job as co-anchor on WWAY, and there’s no doubt that if she continues to work in the media, she will find something that fits her talent, as for Makenzi Henderson, she’s going to be a good fit for News Channel 3, and wish her all the best!

• Boris says:

Good for her, nothing in WILM but crime and liberal psychos who want more of it.

• Guestbest says:

yet here you are…

• Theo says:

I grew up in Fairfax, VA. I left in 1986 and never looked back. She will miss Iowa and Wilmington in about ten minutes.

DC is a corrupt toilet they can’t afford to flush. Traffic is horrific. The cost of living is laughably high. The people all hate each other. The humidity will turn her hair into an afro before she gets to her car. And there’s no beach.

See you back here soon Cacky!

• Mary says:

First Michelle Li from WECT, now Cacky? :( Very sad.

Best wishes Cacky!

• Boris says:

Don’t even live near the dump, my nostrils have been cleansed of the stench. You don’t have to live in DC to comment on the corruption there either, genius.