ONLY ON 3: CBPD officers stop suicide attempt

Tags: , , ,

Submitted: Mon, 08/05/2013 - 9:59pm
Updated: Tue, 08/06/2013 - 12:17pm

CAROLINA BEACH, NC (WWAY) — Investigators say two Carolina Beach police officers may have saved a man’s life after pulling him off of the ledge on Snow’s Cut Bridge.

“I just happened to see a guy straddling the rail on the top of the bridge,” said Ofc. Stephen Baize. “When I opened the door the gentleman told me to stay away from him because he was going to jump off.”

Ofc. Baize says what may have taken only a matter of minutes seemed like hours.

He immediately went back to his training, calmly talking to the man, and keeping him from jumping into the water below.

“He just kept saying that people didn’t care about him,” said Ofc. Baize. “I just reassured him that people do care about him. If nobody cared about him then we wouldn’t be there speaking with him at the time. We care, that’s our job to care about people. We didn’t want him to do anything rash and what he was trying to do wasn’t worth anything in the world.”

While Ofc. Baize distracted the man he says Cpl. Jeff Harvey slowly approached from the opposite direction, grabbing the man off of the rail before he even knew that he was there.

“It’s what we get paid to do,” said Baize. “It may sound like a huge deal to some people and obviously saving a life is a big deal but really it’s what we do. All officers probably have the same feeling. It’s just all in a days work I guess.”

Carolina Beach Police Chief Harry Humphries says he will consider giving both officers commendations for their actions.

• Kblue2221984 says:

I completely understand your fascination with me! I truly do! Like you? I love me too, But let’s not take away from what these brave Officers did. Be a man and shoot me an e-mail, teacher12168@Yahoo.com Say’s who!? Say’s Kblue!!!

My only fascination with you is how you consider yourself to be the expert when it comes to leo’s. It appears you could no more catch a cold than a criminal.

I’ve got nothing to say to you in private that I can’t post here for everybody to see.

Teacher? I’d hate to see that class.

• Kblue2221984 says:

At least you admit your fascination with me, Please copy and paste any comment I made about being an “expert”,,,,,, WAIT A SECOND!!!! Didn’t you say I was being “INVESTIGATED”???????? What the?!?!?! You made the the comment!!!!! Back it up hot shop!!!LOL, all you have proven on here? is that you are a moron! 246 e-mails have proven this. Shoot me an e-mail and I’ll show you each and every comment from people “ON MY SIDE” Say’s who!? Say’s Kblue!!!

Since you are “dumb dumb” does that mean you will now go away? Please? I’m sure it is close to time for you to have to eat again.

You are like a puppy seeking attention. But that is ok, I just shoo you away when you become bothersome. In every comment you post you are the expert.

I’m very happy you have an army of like-minded people on your side, you win the popularity contest. Kind of like when you won the paint chip eating contest.

Just because you haven’t been made aware of an investigation doesn’t mean one isn’t being done or on the way.

Keep up the good work big boy.

• Snarkmeister General says:

Kblue, make this the 247th correspondence in support of YOU.
    You wrote and you followed, you dug and pursued.
    Because of THAT, Leland’s taxpayers are a little less SCREWED.
    Your detractor’s anonymous, as you used to be; but the truth is that you’re a better MAN than HE.

Best of luck “blue”, I’m not a good poet. I appreciate your work and want you to know it.

• Kblue2221984 says:

Thanks you, I guess we should “Shoe” dumb dumb away now? Say’s who!? Say’s Kblue!!!

• Kblue2221984 says:

Great job guys!!! Keep up the good work! Say’s who!? Say’s Kblue!!!

Sorry, double post caught in the WWAY time warp. Love the edit button.

Good job!

• Vog46 says:

“Jumpers” are such a strange group – you keep on asking yourself – “Will he, or won’t he”?

Nicely done…….

Vog

• Yayforthecops says:

It may be “just all in a day’s work,” but these two officers deserve the commendation, and that should be a no-brainer. Great work, Gentlemen!!!!

• Alone says:

Now the guy will be locked up in the psych ward for a while and then pushed out the door with a bag of medication and a bill for $20,000 that he won’t be able to pay so the hospital will sue him and they will take 30% of his paycheck for years to come. I tried suicide in 2003 but failed because I didn’t have the guts to use a foolproof method. There has not been a day that has gone by that I could say I was glad I failed. It doesn’t get better.

…try try again.

I have met officer Baize a few times and he seems like a decent guy. Hope CB doesn’t get to him after a few years on the job.

• alone says:

I am trying to work up the courage to do so.