13-year-old boy dies after falling from truck

Tags: , , ,

Submitted: Tue, 08/06/2013 - 10:07pm
Updated: Tue, 08/06/2013 - 10:14pm

SUPPLY, NC (WWAY) — A ride in the back of a truck came to a tragic end yesterday afternoon.

Two friends set out to have a good time, but it ended with a 13-year-old boy falling out of a pickup truck, driven by a 15-year-old.

The Highway Patrol says the two boys were good friends and had spent the night and day together.

Troopers say it happened near Oyster Lane and Red Bud Road around 1:30pm Monday afternoon.

The truck was going about 10 miles per hour when it made a right turn.

At some point during that turn, 13-year-old John Paul Smith, Jr. fell out and was killed.

Troopers say the 15-year-old driver immediately stopped and called paramedics.

According to Highway Patrol the driver did not break any laws, because the person was driving on a private road.

John Paul Smith, Jr. would have turned 14 on Friday. Troopers say this was simply a tragic accident.

See you got threw out at 70 mph. Obviously someone is lying about something, j paul should still be here with us.

Folks, I myself got “thrown* from a S-10 pick-up MANY years Ago, traveling @ 70 mph; On 74/76… I’m LUCKY to even still be here…
    Lord;; I hope the Families PRAYERS are answered..
    GOD BLESS:
    ONE-ARMED-BANDIT
    (1AB)…..
    PEACE & PRAYERS….
    Sorry for your loss….
    AGAIN PRAYERS…

• Beth says:

I just saw a similarly aged girl riding in the a back of a truck while her parents were sitting pretty as you please up front. What is wrong with people? If I were the parent it would be me before the child. Parents like that should be charged with child neglect.

As for the two boys I feel for them. When you are young you do stupid things. But adults with kids are old enough to know better.

My thoughts and prayers are with the family and his friend.

J paul will truly be missed! He was an amazing person, was always happy and had the most beautiful smile! He was a true joy to be around and had his whole life ahead of him! I will never forget that smile! RIP J paul

• beachnut says:

Prayers for both families. This terrible type of thing could happen to so many young people over the years. Very sorry for all involved in this sad, unfortunate accident.

• Angela Darden says:

Some of you are being very mean about this. Have some compassion for both families. The boy driving will have to live with this for the rest of his life. We grew up riding in the back of trucks. My uncles would have all of us cousins in the back and we’d go to White Lake, or Wrightsville Beach once in awhile. Now people who did that growing up are against it. Why?????? It was a fun thing for us. This was a tragic accident, so lighten up.