WILMINGTON, NC (WWAY) -- Wilmington is half-way through the cease fire clergy called from in June to stop gun violence in the Port City.
Wilmington Police Chief Ralph Evangelous says the city has seen a decline in violence. He hopes that trend continues.
WPD says despite reports of two shots last night on N. 10th St., gun shots dropped by almost half in July as compared to June, but Chief Evengelous didn't know the specific number of shots that had been fired the last two months. He attributes the decrease to "Operation Tranquility" and the 90-day cease fire request by local clergy.
The department says officers have seized 33 guns and made 101 arrests since the operation started.
Although Chief Evangelous says it's going better than he expected, he thinks gun violence could increase once some of the key criminals are back on the streets.
"We have got to see where we are when these are released back on the community, which will happen, which will be in the foreseeable future," Evangelous said.
Looking ahead on August 24, Evangelous hopes the gun buy back program organized by local businesses will help take more guns off the streets.