YOU MAKE THE CALL: Was traffic stop of city employee handled properly?

Tags: , , , , , ,

Submitted: Fri, 08/23/2013 - 3:59am
Updated: Fri, 08/23/2013 - 1:00pm

WILMINGTON, NC (WWAY) — Often in newsrooms there are stories that lead to debate: Is it news or not? Will viewers want to see it, or should they see it all?

Tonight, we ask you to be the judge.

After getting a tip about a traffic stop this week in Wilmington involving a city employee, we started to dig.

Here are the facts: Monday morning Ofc. Robert Pearce (Call sign 250) initiated a traffic stop for speeding in the 600 block of Market Street. We also know the SUV driven by Roger Johnson, Assistant to the City Manager for Development, did not stop until reaching a parking lot on Chestnut Street about six blocks away.

So we’d like you to watch the full dashcam video (click on the video above) from Ofc. Pearce’s car and let us know what you think.

We talked with Johnson yesterday. He would not go on camera, but said he was pulling into a lot where he normally parks because it was safe. He said he did not believe his position with the city helped him get out of the ticket.

City Manager Sterling Cheatham told us he had heard “something about it,” but could not to speak to the situation, because he did not know all the facts, other than that Johnson had been very apologetic.

We also asked Police Chief Ralph Evangelous about what happened.

“It was probably three blocks, and he was speeding it looks like. Roger was extremely apologetic, and he has apologized to the officer, and the officer is doing his job out there, and he tried to make that traffic stop. He went about three blocks, from what I can determine from the video, into the parking lot,” Evangelous said.

“We have, officers have discretion every day. They don’t give tickets out to everybody that they stop. They have the discretion to give verbal warnings, written warnings, or whatever, so… Officers do that on a regular basis.”

New Hanover County Dispatch says Ofc. Pearce cleared the call through the computer in his car. The dispatch Event Report shows he closed it with a verbal warning.

• Guest Reply Redux says:

(In Wilmington you will)

• Guest Reply Redux says:

“What if the driver who “jumped out” turned out to be Brian Berger?”

Or better yet…the Mayor and Chief of Pole Lease heading for a T time at the golf course?

The video recorders in the police cars have two audio sources. The mic in the car, which is picking up the radio traffic, and the background noise when after he got out. The other source is the mic pack. That’s where you hear him talking while he’s out of the car. It appears he muted the mic pack just as he reached the silver car. He unmuted just before “Alright….” The in car mic remaining active is why you don’t hear dead silence, but you can hear a click at the mute / unmute points. You can see, but not hear him talking during the muted section. Cops know when to mute in situations like this. This is the edited version of the stop. Unfortunately, there is no unedited version.

Mr. Johnson is lucky that the cop recognized who he was stopping. You can be sure that the stop – the delayed stop, at that – would have been handled much differently.

• RW Price says:

Roger broke the law plain and simple. Police chief reflected double standards in his comments. Ok, the next time I am stopped I am not expecting a ticket so long as I apoligize…Give me a break. Officer should have wrote a ticket. I don’t care who You are. It appeared that chief took up for roger in his own way. You make me sick.

The actions of both of these men make me sick to my stomach. What’s good for one is not what’s good for all. When I saw this on TV tonight I lost total respect for the chief of police. This is crocked business. I never heard a verbal warning. All I heard was I’m late for a city director meeting. Guess my TV is screwed up. Totally disgusting behavior on both men’s parts.

• mack pierce says:

Fix these double standards used by officer and chief. Fire them both.

By what few words were exchanged, Mr. Johnson seemed to be annoyed and quite arrogant, and was confident that he would not get a ticket. The officer did not seem to really be in control of the situation, as Mr. Johnson pretty much did as he pleased. Anyone else, not known to Officer Pearce or having to do with the City would have been ticketed, at least for failure to stop for siren and blue lights. He Did hit the yelper around 2:49 or so. Good ‘ol boys prevail.

• Bess Blackburn says:

I think Mr. Johnson was given a warning due to his status. Anyone else would have gotten a ticket. His failure to stop for the police officer was very concerning. He had plenty of chances to stop alongside market street or to duck into a parking area. He went SIX Blocks before stopping.

As for me, I was given a ticket in a speed trap alongside Long Leaf Acres. I was late in meeting a Wounded Warrior for treatment at Camp Lejuene. However, I got a ticket going 38mph after stopping immediately and apologizing. Clean Record.

After spending a Friday morning in traffic court and being talked into pleading guilty, paying over $278.00 in court costs along with Driving School fees, I paid my dues and spent many hours of my time while Mr. Johnson gets off SCOTT FREE?

By the way, when I went to traffic court along with about 400 citizens that day. Our county must have collected around $111,200.00 dollars in court fees. Not a bad few hours of revenue for our city. The driving school most likely collected around $20,000.00 and no telling what lawyers collected.

Yes, speeding is bad. It is dangerous and people, like Mr. Johnson need to pay the consequences, just like the rest of us who attend Friday Traffic Court.

• PETERPAN says:

In my opinion, Wilmington PD and the New Hanover County Sheriff’s Office BOTH play the same game. It’s all about who you are or who you know… that is key in these situations. What scumbags! You or I would have certainly gotten a ticket or more likely arrested. Let’s remember this the next time we’re pulled… Just tell the officer you’re late for something… See if you walk away like this county employee did!

• Homeless Henry says:

Officer Robert Pearce might has well had been bitch slapped by this law breaker.. Hey officer Pearce the balls are on sale at Walmart maybe you should buy yourself some! GOD BLESS THE USA!!!

• MJ says:

Several years ago I got a speeding ticket driving from Raleigh to Wilmington early morning to make to make work on time. Did I pull over when signaled to do so? You bet!! I also sincerely apologized and explained why I was rushing so!! The officer said he certainly understood and gave me a ticket. I did not expect special treatment, I was truly speeding. This taught me a lesson though and I haven’t had another one in over 22 years. Also, I had to go to a safety driving class, pay legal & court fees, and appear in court. Mr. Johnson didn’t even sound apologetic when he and the officer talked. Someone on here mentioned that he is a nice guy, but being a nice guy isn’t the point here. A lot of very nice people get tickets for speeding even when they are trying to get to work on time. What makes him different?

• Wilmington Observer says:

When I come to a LOCAL news.com, I would rather read anything with local relevance than a “cut & paste” job from another media outlet from another part of the country that has absolutely no, local, relevance. Is this story “newsworthy”? At least the reporter did some, actual, legwork as opposed to sitting in the newsroom filling the webpage with the work from other reporters which usually result in no comments from readers. This story has resulted in, multiple, reader comments. I’m sure that the advertisers appreciate their, expensive ads actually being seen. If that is the definition of “newsworthy” then this story qualifies. I just wish that the reporter was proud enough, of their work, to put their name in the “By Line” instead of “Submitted by WWAY”.

Wilmington Observer

• marie says:

I see nothing wrong with this I was pulled over in wilmington just a few weeks ago by a state trooper who gave me a verbal warning and I felt blessed that he was a kind officer so whats the difference in this story I dont believe it is news worthy I think someone is trying to start trouble were is not needed because they would be thankful if someone gave them a break

• Vog46 says:

Remove all names and titles:
    Cop sees person speeding
    Cop stops person speeding
    Cop gives warning and let’s the person go.

This is totally within the realm of the officers duty – to use his judgement as to whether or not to issue a ticket. This situation happens day in and day out.

Then watch the video if you wish (Hint – I did not).

The “only” party at fault here is WWAY. They took a routine traffic stop and tried to “National Enquirer” it into a news story of perceived importance under the guise of we the readers being the judge.
    Yes – a drunk city official, speeding – that’s totally different and poses FAR greater danger to the community. We’ve seen that in the FD just recently. That is news.
    This ranks right up there with Scott driving his car out of the parking lot during a parade.
    Good Grief
    Vog

• Bowbaby says:

The officer should get a ticket for not doing his job in not giving a ticket. I get a ticket when someone pulls out in front of me, does not accelerate to the speed limit and I pass them. I have not had a ticket since 2001 then I get my “STATE MANDATED INCREASE OF %45″ on my car insurance. The ‘good old boys’ BS and archaic laws in NC need to go!

• ron says:

I don’t know how i really feel about this. I do know that i was traveling on market street going a full 45,a Wilmington officer pulled right in front of me and to keep from ramming him in the a$& i went around him, and got back in my lane. He pulled me over and the (bleep bleep) gave me a ticket for improper passing with out using my turn signals.seriously!!!! I wanted to show my a$& but that would have gotten me resisting, or misconduct toward an official. there’s always one rotten apple. As for the video,i see nothing wrong with it. We all need that one thing that makes our day sometimes.

• glenda says:

just because he was a city official didn’t give him the right to walk away from a ticket, everybody has a bad day now & then, but had it been anyone else, they would have gotten a ticket, when the officer approached the driver, it was like “Oh, didn’t know it was you” Both parties handled it wrong, police officer should be written up and the city official should get a ticket. Make it right!!

• Bitemeroy says:

Honest to Pete… The news reporting in Wilmington… Can’t you find a kitten up a tree, or another dang sea turtle story to report on? Our local news stations wouldn’t know a real news story if it bit them in the rump. Though in all honesty, WWAY is normally head and shoulders above the local competition. Talk about damning with faint praise…

• guest4834 says:

I don’t have a problem with the traffic stop as long as this courtesy is extended, on occasion, to all citizens. So….as long as Wilmington PD can produce video from a dashcam showing a young, black male, getting the same treatment. I’m cool.

Seriously, this guy didn’t even produce his driver’s license.

• Guestwhoknows says:

Jackass Johnson thinks he is above the law. “I’m late for a city counsel meeting”. So what! I am so tired of people who think they are above the law…parking in loading zones, speeding, running red lights, no turn signals, no yielding for pedestrians, drunk driving, hit and runs. It goes on and on. Wilmington has a bad problem with lawlessness. What happened to order? Issue tickets my LEO friends; Make it stick Mr. DA; Punish them Mr. Honorable Judge. Lets get some backbone around here!

• renoGuest says:

If you had driven that far without stopping you would have had 20 police cars on you and maybe a swat team.Had you not driven into a city parking lot you would have been screamed at maybe slapped around thrown on the ground possibly beat handcuffed and licked by 3 or 4 K9 dogs before being hauled straight to jail.What a joke this guy knew if he made it to the city parking lot he would get off. He never even acknowledged the police officers questions he just hurried off to do his own thing WOW!

• Common Sense says:

So, let’s be real. Since everyone is saying “oh, he broke the law, he should’ve gottena ticket”, lemme put it out there. If it was YOU that was stopped, are you saying YOU should have been issued a ticket? Of course not, you would be grateful. People in glass houses shouldn’t throw stones…

• renoGuest says:

I just watched the video again and could not hear any verbal warning or a warning of any kind given on the video.That makes the report the officer closed false and should be addressed to correct this issue.Can you say False report?? IM sorry.. Im sorry …ok that makes it ok really? never worked for me.

• Craig "The Doorman" Shepard says:

I’ve been refered to as a 10year Histortic Wilmington landmark, but would never disrespect Ofc. Robert “whose your Daddy” Pearce, let alone, allow, as an officer of the law, or as we see the lack thereof, from a wasteful,ignorant and disrespectful city Of Wilm.,NC employee…..Or, as a Wilmington employee I would! This town expects our lack of police to ingnore stupid city representitives , straight thru to assist city managers….if that’s who that man really was!

The thing that I find the most shocking is that even after the officer followed him for multiple blocks, bumped the siren, and cussed at the guy repeatedly to pull over…the guy just pulls into a parking spot and hops out of the car; that’s crazy. I’m pretty sure from watching a LOT of “Cops” on TV that if a vehicle takes that long to pull over and then the driver just hops out of the car, they’d probably draw their gun on you, or at the VERY least, yell at you to stay in your car. This officer just let the guy hop out and start getting his stuff out of his car.

I think if this guy hadn’t gone all the way to the City parking lot and instead just drove 6 blocks, pulled into a Walmart parking lot or something, parked, and hopped out, this would have gone differently. I think the officer was being cautious once he realized that maybe this was someone “important”. And I get that, you don’t want to be unnecessarily forceful or anything, especially with someone that could potentially have influence with your boss, but at the same time, a proper amount of caution should have been used when dealing with this guy and he really should have made him stay in the vehicle while he asked him a few questions like “why did you take so long to pull over?” and then maybe after all that, you let him off with a warning.

It makes me sad more than mad. This officer may be a great cop but from JUST this video he seems a bid too timid to be a police officer.

• jj says:

I am sure the police Chief does not allow his offices to enforce the traffic laws and the people of this City knows that. I have watched as people run (and I mean run) traffic lights with Police Officers at the light and the Officer does nothing. Carolina Beach Road is a raceway with people speeding and zigzagging in and out of traffic. I am so tired of people riding my bumper because the speed limit I am following isn’t fast enough for them.

However, when they do decide to work traffic why is it always on MLK Parkway?

It is time the City does something about this. If it takes replacing the Chief of Police they have my vote to do so.

• Wilmington Observer says:

You may not be “that person” who thinks that they can get in the left, travel, lane and drive like you own it while there are fifteen vehicles behind you, wanting to get around. If you are “that person”……… MOVE OVER!!!!!

North Carolina General Statue 20-146 says (among other things) that you can’t drive in the left, travel, lane in a manner as to impede the flow of traffic and if your speed is slower than the “normal speed of traffic” you “SHALL drive in the right hand lane….”

Again, if you are not “that person” i apologize for replying to your post. But if just ONE of them sees this post and realizes that what they are doing (backing up traffic in the inside lane) is wrong, perhaps the flow of traffic in this town would not be so freaking insane.

Wilmington Observer

• Wilmington Observer says:

What if the driver who “jumped out” turned out to be Brian Berger?

Wilmington Observer

• So Sick Of WWAY says:

I think it must a super slow news day when you waste time with reporting stuff like this. Absolutely ridiculous. If you for one second think that a everytime a police officer stops someone they should write them a ticket, you’re crazy. It doesn’t happen. If that did happen, then you would be reporting about how overcrowded our courts are and how ridiculous it is that so many tickets are written. Make up your mind, do you want enforcement or not? I’m sure someone at WWAY is on the bitter bus because he didn’t get out of his when he disobeyed the police orders during the parade and took a ride to jail. You should be ashamed of yourself, WWAY, seriously nothing better that a gossip rag.
    Why don’t you use your power for good instead of trying to stir up a crap story that isn’t there?

Next time you are pulled over, you do the exact same thing roger did and let us know how that works out for you. You continue driving until you reached your employee parking lot and then quickly exit the vehicle with the comment you are late for a meeting. Don’t provide your license or insurance and then leave the scene.

• GuestUSMC says:

Lots of opinions have been expressed about whether Mr. Johnson acted appropriately, as well as did the officer. The story asks should this type of story be published. Seems like the real question has been lost here. To answer the question WWAY is asking, yes, I think these types of stories should be made public. It is the job of the news agencies, whether printed or spoken, to bring such as this to the attention of the citizens. 90% of the ones who are familiar with this story would have never heard about it had WWAY not informed us. I say that you’re doing a pretty good job letting us know what is going on locally, and I for one am glad you do. Keep up the good work exposing the good as well as the bad that our taxpayer-paid officials are doing.

Vog,

In all your travels and experiences I do not think you have ever pulled over a vehicle. The officer needs to verify 10-27 DL info, 10-28 vehicle info, 10-29 wanted persons info. I believe officer only called in 10-28. That whole stop could really have come back to bite him in the butt. Totally improper!! Nothing wrong in letting him go, just the way it all happened.

From Vog:
    “Remove all names and titles:
    Cop sees person speeding
    Cop stops person speeding
    Cop gives warning and let’s the person go.”

You left out where the driver had many opportunities to pull over but continued on his way to ensure he was in a city parking lot before stopping. And then for him to jump out of his car? You try that next time you are pulled over and see if you don’t have either a taser or gun pointed at you.

Maybe you should watch the video before you spout off. Nothing like commenting on an topic when you don’t know all the facts that are available.

You don’t impede traffic if you are driving the speed limit.

• Guestbart says:

That statue still does not give one the right to exceed the posted speed limit. Having said that, drivers still should move over and allow traffic to flow unimpeded.

• Concerned Citizen says:

The Chief of Police said his Officers have discretionary power about writing a ticket. I wonder if that was not a government employee would it have been handled differently. I think so. If that had just been Joe Blow he would have been arrested. WOW I guess all government is DIRTY!!

• jj says:

No, I don’t drive in the left hand lane when I am doing the speed limit. The problem is people like you who wants to fly down the road and think getting on someone’s bumper will make them drive faster.

The point everyone misses that if you drive 10 mph over the speed limit you go 10 mile further in a hour. Not very far in the city.

• Snarkmeister General says:

guesty, you are RIGHT. Absolutely, unquestioningly, unequivocally and positively RIGHT.

Guesty?

This Vog character is always spouting off about things he barely knows anything about. This traffic stop story is just another example.

“Duh. I didn’t even bother to watch the video but here’s my opinion on the incident”

Personally, I find his opinion on, gee, just about everything, not very interesting.

You just have to tolerate him and understand that he has a very high opinion of his own comments. The dude just loves churning them out, bless his heart…

• Rusty says:

I know this doesn’t really pertain to the original story, but “Left Lane Bandits” get my ire up as well. Something I should point out to them alongside your excellent posting of GS 20-146 is that only police cruisers are equipped with a certified speedometer from the manufacturer, the ordinary vehicles we drive may be off a few percent (and be within manufacturer’s specifications). If yours is 3MPH high at 50 and mine is 3 MPH low we have a 6 MPH closing rate while we both show an indicated 50. I’m going to think you’re a LLB, and you’ll think I’m a habitual speeder but in reality neither of us is right (or wrong). For those that camp in the left lane going the speed limit.. well guess what, you may NOT be in actuality so please do us a favor and move over instead of being a rolling roadblock.

• Vog46 says:

The rule of thumb has always been pull over when the DRIVER deems it safe. A cop will not get out of a car if there’s a danger to him, the public or the other vehicle and he will use a loudspeaker to tell you to pull off in the next parking lot etc etc…..
    To me if this is what he driver did then he’s OK in my mind and the cop was well within his right to let him off with a warning.
    I really don’t give a damn whats on the video. The cop has the discretion – he used it and let the guy go.
    If you want iron clad rules the talk to your local legislator.
    I for one have never gotten off – I always seem to get the ticket. Last one I got was 20 years ago. I learned my lesson.
    WWAY is making a mountain out of a mole hill.
    This is not news
    The cop acted appropriately and within the parameters of his job.
    It makes NO difference if the guy was asst city manager, the Pope me or the janitor at city hall the cop had the authority to do what he did in etting the guy off.

Vog

• Vog46 says:

I have never pulled a car over but I certainly think that the act of pulling over a vehicle is one of the single most dangerous things a cop can do. He’s typically alone, on a street with other traffic and walking up to a vehicle that could be occupied by people meaning to inflict great harm on him.
    Was the stop improper? I’m not gonna judge that.
    If the cop was within his authority to let the guy go, then so be it. Chief Evangelous has apparently NOT disciplined the officer because there’s nothing to discipline him for apparently.
    My God folks – when are we going to support our police officers? There’s enough of them doing stupid things and we’re concerned about this incident?
    I can’t wait or WWAY to let this story slide to the back pages…

Vog

• Gi Tal says:

You would be livid regarding this situation if You would have gotten a ticket from the Highway Patrol Man.
    This guy was speeding and took his sweet time pulling over. He deserved a ticket.

You must not have observed NC G.S. 20-141 which states “(a) No person shall drive a vehicle on a highway or in a public vehicular area at a speed greater than is reasonable and prudent under the conditions then existing. (b) Except as otherwise provided in this Chapter, it shall be unlawful to operate a vehicle in excess of the following speeds: (1) Thirty-five miles per hour inside municipal corporate limits for all vehicles. (2) Fifty-five miles per hour outside municipal corporate limits for all vehicles except for school buses and school activity buses.” and then goes on to give local municipalities to lower the speed limits as they see fit.
    NC G.S. 20-146 (b) states “Upon all highways any vehicle proceeding at less than the legal maximum speed limit shall be driven in the right-hand lane then available for thru traffic, or as close as practicable to the right-hand curb or edge of the highway, except when overtaking and passing another vehicle proceeding in the same direction or when preparing for a left turn.”, not “normal speed of traffic”.
    Hopefully if just one of the numerous speed demon want-to-be race car drivers sees this they will realize that what they are doing is breaking the law. It’s called a speed limit, not a speed suggestion and if them doing 45 in the left lane all the way down College road makes you mad, oh well, what they’re doing is perfectly legal, everybody else is breaking the law by speeding.

I understand the part about officer discretion as to what enforcement he/she wishes to take from verbal or written warning, citation or arrest. An officer has that discretion in just about every call they go to except for domestic violence cases.

I have a problem with how Roger acted vs the officer. Roger passed many places he could have safely pulled over from on street parking to many parking lots but he chose to continue to drive to his city parking lot. The officer quickly lost control of the stop once Roger got out of his car, knowing he had made it to ‘home base.’

It makes all the difference in the world that Roger is the ASSistant city manager. He is in a position that due to his actions we should question his judgement.

• Splashwtr says:

Maybe WWAY can go down to where the real crime is and see what officers confront each day an dnight with crime. Your news is always 48hrs too late making it old news. This is no breaking news on one traffic stop a veteran officer made on a particular day. Go in the hood and report some real news…make sure you wear a diaper.

• wilm tax payer says:

well i guess if you a city worker u can get away with anything.

• Julianne Messineo says:

I think that this is ridiculous that he did not stop when the police officer was behind him, and then after he drove a couple of blocks and finally reached his destination he stopped and told the police officer he was later for a meeting and then did not get a ticket.

A few months ago I was running late for work at a New Hanover County School, I was going a couple of miles over the speed limit on a side street and was pulled over. Of course I STOPPED immediately and told the police officer I was on my way to work at school and running late, I have a clean license, but that did not matter and it cost me @346.00 for that ticket and as we all know teachers in New Hanover County make no money.

So, why is it fair that he did not get a ticket!!!!!

• Guesttre says:

I better get the same treatment if I ever get pulled over in Wilmington. It was clear that he was released because he let the officer know where he was going and who he was. Good ole’ boys are at work.

• melisa hatcher says:

if it would have been any other “joe blow” they would have got a ticket or worse! I think member got off because of his position. its not right that “special” people get special treatment.

It may be in the officer’s discretion as to whether or not to issue a citation. But, you don’t let someone go just because they have connections. And you shouldn’t let someone go if they thumb their noses at you. He showed utter disregard for the authority of the officer. He did not pull over immediately. Any average Joe on the street would have been charged with resisting arrest in addition to the citation for the traffic violation. The chief just announced to the elitists that they can do whatever they want on the roads without consequences.

• Guest Reply Redux says:

NO/NOTTA/NIX…all the above!

Did anyone hear a blast of a siren from the Police cruiser on the video? I didn’t…and I have Bose speakers!
    The officer kissed the Assistant Managers B-Hind in fear of retaliation (later on no doubt)…if he had ticketed him.
    What a “Pure And Simple” case of corruption at its best.

Let’s see…..
    1. Had the Assistant Manager been drinking? (No time for a sobriety test…he was Late!)
    2. What took so long for him (Manager) to pull over for the officer? (Heavy Traffic?)
    3. Why didn’t the officer question this man…late for a meeting or not? (His City I.D. was his Freedom Pass…(i.e.) Perks.)
    4. The officer botched up his responsibility to the Public by simply walking off, and away. (And it’s all there on video)

Good Ole Boy town…and Saffo remains at the helm.
    Wilmington should be named…”Lardville” since they are in the process of “Branding” a name for it…HA!
    The car commercial that preceded the video had more clout.

At 2:48 left to play the officer ‘bumps’ his siren. Generally the siren isn’t used unless traveling at high speed to a call or in a chase. For a simple traffic stop, the normal, non-full of himself person will pull over as soon as they see the blue lights.

Roger is the ASSistant city manger and the city manager is the boss of the police chief.
    Would you want to be the officer who gives your boss’s boss’s ASSistant a ticket? Good ole boys at its finest.

You, my friend, are a moron

• Georgia P says:

I think Mr. Johnson definitely received special treatment because of his position with the city. Had that been an ordinary citizen I think the end result would have been quite different. Chief Evangelous wants us to believe that this is all on the police officer and within in “his discretion” . Personally, I believe that this is the policy of the Wilmington Police Dept. Different standards for different people. I also believe that this sort of thing is nothing new.

• City Resident34 says:

Seems pretty innocent to me. Roger is a good guy and obviously just having a bad day, being late and all. I don’t think this is “news”. I love how the intro to the segment the host says something along the lines of…”is it news or isn’t it news? You be the Judge”. Well since you put it on the nightly news cast, it IS news. If there were actually anything interesting going on in Wilmington stuff like this wouldn’t make it to the internet/T.V. As for everyone who says this is the good ‘ole boys network, forget that. Roger is a transplant, so no ‘ole boy connection there. Its just the way of the world. The officer obviously gave him a pass because he was going to the city council meeting, get over it. He’s somebody and you are not. Its not what you know, but who you know, thats just they way the world works.

Seriously tho, if I get pulled over and cited because I don’t pull over immediately, I will be using this as evidence to defend myself.

First off, roger is the compete opposite of being “a good guy.” You say he isn’t part of the good ole boys network but then you say “he’s somebody.” He is somebody due to the fact he moved from city HR over to being the ASSistant to the city manager who just happens to be the boss of the police chief.

• Guestttttttt says:

“As for everyone who says this is the good ‘ole boys network, forget that. Roger is a transplant, so no ‘ole boy connection there.”

^This. Also, the officer and his family are originally from up North. He spent his last several school years in the area but isn’t part of some mythical “good ol’ boy” network. Like over half the population of Wilmington, he’s from somewhere else.

• Guesttoo says:

One thing you can count on with all of this publicity…is that ‘ol Roger here has royally screwed things up for the rest of us looking to get a free pass!

• Guest Reply Redux says:

If you are referring to my comments Guest3367…I would expect that from a typical blindsided citizen that refuses to see the corruption in Wilmington…one that ignores the Simpletons that run it…one that is herded with the cattle that are willing to be lead to the water hole 100 feet down (off a cliff).
    Sink in it.

• bluefish says:

He probably was one of the city employees who recieved a 3% bonus.

• GuestWarren Chinn says:

Three blocks my ass. I counted at least five. Dumb ass police chief can’t even count. So damn glad I finally left this god forsaken state. Don’t just lie to my face that special treatment wasn’t given here.

• WX_Guy says:

When they start attacking the messenger rather than the message, then the media is doing its job. Sunshine is a great disinfectant. Shine on WWAY.