Buses don’t leave school until after 5 p.m.; district hopes for improvement today

Tags: , , , , , ,

Submitted: Tue, 08/27/2013 - 1:19pm
Updated: Wed, 08/28/2013 - 1:26am

BRUNSWICK COUNTY, NC (WWAY) — A Brunswick County Schools spokeswoman says the district hopes for improvements today after some students at one elementary school did not get on their buses until after 5 p.m. yesterday.

District spokeswoman Jessica Swencki says a “perfect storm” of issues on the first day of school led to the long delay for students at Town Creek Elementary School. Some students reportedly did not get home until after 6 p.m.

Under the district’s staggered schedule, the buses for Town Creek first run a route taking home students from North Brunswick High School and Leland Middle School. An hour later, they should be at Town Creek for the school’s 3:45 p.m. release time, Swencki said. But she said yesterday heavy traffic on Old Fayetteville Road in Leland caused the buses to wait at least 20 minutes to get onto the road to start their routes.

Swencki said the school district had traffic control in place on Old Fayetteville Road Tuesday to relieve the problem.

Swencki also said there were issues at the schools with verifying students’ addresses and making sure they were on the right bus to get home. She said that’s a typical issue at the start of the school year, but combined with the traffic issues to make the delays worse. Further compounding the issue was a problem with the district’s automated phone system that was supposed to let parents know of the delay.

The students at Town Creek were supervised and safe while they waited for their buses, Swencki said. She said administrators were on the phone with parents upset about the delays as late as 7 p.m.

• Concerned Parent says:

Same thing happened to me. Romona–a new assistant at the superintendent’s office had the nerve to laugh on the phone when I called to express my concerns about TCES’s buses still being parked at the school at 5pm and just boarding all bus riders. Called again yesterday and was delighted to speak with Romona again to be told, yes, you were the one who called yesterday and thought I was laughing at you. Told me Monday she was not laughing at me/my complaints yet told me yesterday co-workers were in the office laughing. I informed her that regardless, if someone is calling the superintendent’s office, it is most likely not positive and it is most likely a parent. Her job is to be respectful and professional and if co-workers are in that close of proximity to her that the person on the other phone can hear them laughing, there is an issue. This issue has been esclated and will go up the chain if I have to attend the next board meeting and specifically ask for a few minutes with Dr. Pruden.

• Really? says:

You’re a tax payer. So what? So is everyone else! You once went to school as well and guess what? If it was public school, TAX payers paid for it! If you were fortunate enough to go to private school, that’s great but unfortunately, not everyone has that priviledge. Do you use the services of local law enforcement? Are they readily avaliable to you if you need the service? Sure are. What about the fire department? Guess what? THOSE TOO ARE TAX PAYER FUNDED! If you do not have children in the public school system, this forum does not apply to you. You have a right to comment but don’t waste your time. EVERYONE is going to pay taxes and the amount that is to be divided to NC Public Schools is going to be distributed that way regardless of what you say, do or think and REGARDLESS if you have children in the public school system. You’re still paying the same amount whether there is staggered start or not. Whether buses drop elementary children off within a reasonable time or 2 1/2 hours late. If it was as easy as putting children in private schools and transporting them to and from school or paying someone to do so or care for the children during the time difference between parent’s work schedules, I am sure that would happen but unfortunatley, many middle class families must work because they don’t live off the government, are not provided FREE before/after school care as lower class families are and are not fortunate enough to be able to afford it.

Think before you speak. It’s a great virtue.

• Reallly? says:

I voted and although it did not go in my favor, parents had to vote on the lesser of the 2 evils dependent on thier lifestyle. I am glad you love the new schedule. For working parents who have to be at work before school hours, the cost for before/after school care by CIS for 2 children is $560. I am glad the schedule worked out to your benefit but it did not for everyone else. There are issues with the start and release times, the expenses and conflicts with work schedules, being pushed for time to get everything done (homework, baths, dinner, bedtime) especially for students in higher grades who have 2+hours of homework each time–and with students home over 2 hours late off the bus the first week, not only is it not easy, it is not dependable.

You have to worry about the dollars. How do you propose we pay to educate the kids when education budgets shrink every year. This was done to save teaching positions. If you can figure out a better way to trim $1 million from the Brunswick County School Budget, please run for School Board because we’d all love to hear it.

• TCES Parent says:

Below is a link to the minutes from the staggered start/budget discussion. Mr. Thoraen voted against staggered start.

Voice your concerns to the board.

• Really? says:

Don’t assume that I assumed you don’t work. I never said that. I said the schedule was hard on working parents. It’s Great that you have an advantage of owning your own business, however, most don’t.

I am sure you meant to type Thorsen. He is the best thing on the school board that the students have going for them. And he actually cares about what the parents have to say. He is the only who disputed Pruden’s claim that the parents of Brunswick County need to be reprogrammed.

In addition to that, the parents that send their kids to private schools still pay the taxes that send the other kids to the government schools.

I have paid income taxes for 27 years now. I have paid sales tax on everything I have ever purchased in my lifetime. I have paid property taxes for twenty years. I have paid taxes on phone, cable, internet, trash, electric and other services I have utilized over the past twenty years. I pay taxes at the gas pump. I believe that I have paid enough into the system that you cannot call me a freeloader.

As a citizen of this country and as a resident of Brunswick County, I have every right to complain about how the schools are doing things. As a parent of a child in the school system, I have a responsibility to do my part to ensure that the schools are doing what is in the best interest of not only my child, but the other children in the system.

If the current School Board worried about the kids under their care instead of a dollar bill they would keep the schedules as traditional. Perhaps Brunswick County needs to clean house and get rid of these yahoos?

• CoastalJade says:

I work as well. I own my own business so I have hours from 9am to 3pm.
    So I do have an advantage. Don’t complain about your plight as a mother and provider…that comes with wanting to play house and have kids.
    Don’t you assume I don’t work because your schedule does not go hand in hand with mine.

• Former Parent/Employee says:

The current school board is concerned with whatever agenda they are advancing, which is not the betterment of children in Brunswick County. Two years ago, when this staggered bell schedule mess began, it was a way of saving money (to the tune of $500k) in the midst of some very harsh budget cuts. One of the pieces of research that the school system put forth to support the staggered bell schedule was from the Mayo Clinic regarding sleep patterns in young children versus adolescents. That article can be found on an older version of the school’s district site here:

While Ms. Babson and Mr. Thompson opposed the change of the bell schedules, the others were lost in the numbers game where out of the 7k plus surveys send to parents less than 3k were returned, out of that only 40% of parents of elementary school students responded. Yes a lot of this is on the parents of Brunswick County Schools students. I certainly hope that come this next election cycle, parents will be a bit more involved in both the voting and education of voters to prevent an all Republican school board. Perhaps this is the growing pain that most of this area needs for voters to finally learn to pay attention to “who” is running for office instead of their party affiliation.

• Parent says:

Ok, delayed buses to and from the schools is one thing. This genius that they have running the transportation department for Brunswick County schools decided to fix his incorrect planning after Monday’s fiasco. He decided to run the buses TO school earlier this morning. Not a few minutes early, but 20 minutes early. So, my kid who has to walk about a half mile to stand on the edge of a major road to wait for the bus left about 15 minutes early. He missed the bus anyway, as did most of the kids on the route. So, I called down to transportation and got this arrogant woman named Teresa on the phone. “We told you your kids are supposed to be at the stop early” Seems like that would be reasonable, but running the buses so early that there’s no kids to pick up to make up time isn’t the answer. Being snotty about the negative result of your error isn’t very nice either.

I got to drop my kid off at school. There were so many other parents in the same boat that had to take their kids to school because they ran the buses too early that the traffic was backed up to the point that the buses couldn’t even get in the parking lot.

that’s the problem with most government workers that are in a “management” postion, the old saying is, “when life deals you a lemon, you make lemonade”, these people know what is coming and what needs to be done to accomodate the changes, but they procrastinate and point the finger instead of preparing, there is no excuse for the bus route’s to getso disorganized.

They change the school schedule, but the schools won’t change their policy about the times the kids can be dropped off in the morning. So, if a school is starting at 9:00, the kids can be dropped off no earlier than 8:30. With most parents having to be at work no later than 8:30, what are they supposed to do? It puts an undue burden on the working family.

My experience with picking up kids at Supply Elementary was that it went off without a hitch, with few exceptions. Yesterday was my first time picking up a child at Shallotte Middle in four years. It went off without a hitch yesterday and today. The schools who have a system in place make it so that the cars get out quickly. I don’t know how the other high schools are, but picking up my child at West was always a nightmare, unless I got there very early and waited forever.

They say there was a problem with the phone system. They never have problems with it when they want to tell us about booster club, band club, football schedules, events at Odell and other non-urgent, unimportant stuff. You would think they could get it right when they actually need to communicate something properly.

• LelandGal says:

Beside getting a new Board of Education leaders we also need a new Super. It was his call for this new schedule.. If it’s not broken leave it alone….. We need to worry about have good Teachers and Assit.’s there to help these children learn. What happened to the Children being first not the Adults in Bolivia.

• CoastalJade says:

I love this schedule.
    Instead of my kids catching the bus at 6:50 in the morning, they are getting on a little after 8am.
    And yes the first day they were later than I liked. But this always happens the first few weeks of school here. It will level out and go normal in the second week.
    Quit whining and vote next time.

• LelandGal says:

We need to not complain about each others words not being spelled right. We need to worry about the children who attend the schools in Brunswick County, Our children are having to go with a new schedule which is not right. In a few weeks it will be getting dark early and our children will be getting home at dark. The Board of Education in Brunswick County doesn’t care about the kids. Just trying to save money for their paychecks, They added 5 more days to the school schedule. This will cost the schools more money for lunch and power for lights and fuel for buses. Bus drivers who do not work full time will get benefits from the schools. Our tax money should be used to educate our children not cost the schools and Brunswick County Board of Education more money.. There is nothing wrong with part time drivers. Parents who drive the buses had the same hours as their children and could save money on daycare… ELECTION SHOULD BE A FUN TIME.. Hope that someone will help us to remember all this then

• beach guy says:

Hate to go all family guy on all of you whiners but here we go!

It really grinds my gears that you “people” are complaining about a free service that we all pay for(even if we choose not to have kids) first you get free schools for your rug rats that I did not make or receive any tax benefit from. and then they get a free ride back and forth to the free school on a free bus and you have the unmitigated gall to complain. how about you say thank you kind sir for contributing to pay for little johnny’s financial burden of education. After all they are your offspring not mine. Maybe they could come by and wash my car or do a little lawn work that would be a nice change of pace.
    Or here’s a novel Idea
    How about you take own kids to school and pick them up, instead of freeloading off the system!

• Aggravated Mother says:

You’re a tired teacher. Better to be a tired teacher than a tired, worried, frustrated, emotional mother whose children were 2 hours late getting home with no phone call and schools not answering their phones when these same worried, frantic mothers called to check on the safety and well-being of their children!

Really Guest1971?? You agree with Notasheeple?? Dare I say it…BAAAAAA. BAAAAAA.

• TCES Parent says:

First off, let me thank you for attempting to ponder on how my personality may be. I appreciate your time and effort. You are, however, quite a long ways off with your speculations.

Regardless, yes, I did vote-twice in fact, since I have two children. Sure, the first week of school is chaotic and buses are never on time. Did you forget about reading following part of my comment, “Sure, it’s the first day of school and there are going to be delays. That is to be expected. My children were supposed to be home at 4:23pm since they are on the beginning of the bus route. When 4:58 rolled around and both South Middle/High school and Early College buses passed by from completing their routes and there were no other buses in sight, I called TCES and explained that I understood it was the first day of school and there would be delays but wanted to know how much longer before I should expect my children to be home. It was NOT UNTIL then that I found out ALL TCES students were just boarding the buses. It was at that moment when I hit the roof.”

Had parents received a call before 4pm informing us that bus drivers were still running the middle/high school bus route and would not be arriving on campus until closer to 5pm, it would have been a different story. When I found out at 5pm, I immediately left to pick my children up to prevent them from getting home between 6-6:30pm. Thankfully, I had the privildge to have prepared myself ahead of time for the first day of school and gained approval to work remotely. Had this been another day where I was in the office, it would have taken me ½ hour to get to my children. The concern was that a call never went out Monday. The superintendent’s office did reportedly attempt to send a call out at 4:40pm but why such the delay?

By the way, riding the bus is a priviledge but it is also a service, ultimately funded by the taxpayers in NC that my children have a right to. Before I worked bankers hours, I did not only transport my children to school but from school as well. Last year, they asked to ride the bus and was looking forward to it this year as well. You would think by the second week these concerns will be worked out. It’s not just a concern with the bus routes and delays. The largest concern is the lack of notification. What parent doesn’t want to be aware of where their children are and at what time? What parent doesn’t want to know that their child is still sitting at school over 1 hour after school was dismissed and would be due home in an additional hour or greater if they were to stay to ride the bus? Even parents who don’t spoon feed their children should care enough to question where they are. I did stop to make the parent’s on my child’s route aware. As for other parents, the schools were not answering the phones and they had no idea where their child or child’s bus was at.

We are expressing our concerns about these issues while other guests are adding comments of “Waa, Waa, Waa”. Goes to show where our concerns are and what we dedicate our time to and how others spend theirs. I have more things to do than send out pointless comments. Guest2020, please express your concerns again to the superintendents office. I have a ban of parents attenting the next meeting.

I take it you have never had do deal with the superintendent’s office. If so, you would be a little more understanding.

• parent says:

It isn’t about what time the children got home. The fact that kids were an hour and a half late arriving home and no one knew what was going on. No answer at the school…. no phone calls home to parents…no emails… NOTHING! How any parent could not be upset with this is beyond me.. I understand there will be kinks the first few days.. that is a given. But how this situation was handled was unacceptable.

• notasheeple says:

What’s all this complaining about? When my relatives and I went to South Brunswick, we were on the bus by 530 am every morning and didn’t get home until 530 that night. From there I had homework and chores to be done.

If parents spent half as much time helping their children become better students as they do complaining about piddly stuff like late buses due to computer glitches and the usual first day snafu’s then maybe just maybe the United states would not be dropping in the world standings in education

• Guest1971 says:

I agree with you! Glad to see someone with common sense.

But we know that complainers are going to complain. They will find something to dislike.

• Think says:

Elementary school children are sitting at the schools in hallways waiting to board buses 1 HOUR and 15 minutes after school was dismissed and did not get home until between 2 HOURS and 15 minutes to 2 1/2 HOURS after school dismissed. You’re talking ages 5 through 11-12 years after being up since 7 am. An 11 1/2 hour day for 5 year olds is UNCALLED for. Then there is homework to do, baths, dinner and guess what? Early bed times!

And guess what? The parents were NEVER notified yesterday and were notified 1/2 hour after school released about the delay today.

• ConcernedBrunsCoResident says:

Anyone with half a brain knows this system will continue to fail. In logistics nothing goes as planned. You always have to prepare for the unexpected traffic delays, weather delays, breakdowns and etc. When there is no time for delay in transportation the reality is that you will be late often. This system which took many longtime, loyal bus drivers off their buses and put new less experienced drivers on road will not work. Kids will continue to get to school late and get home late. What’s going to happen when a bus breaks down? Two groups of students will be late not just one. It’s absolutely ridiculous that people who are paid to make logistics decisions regarding these school’s bus routes would implement a system like this that is bound to fail. When winter gets here elementary kids are going to be getting off the bus in darkness. That seems a little ridiculous to me. Nice job Brunswick County Schools, you continue to find ways to please your parents who fund your innate ventures. Hope you have some open phone lines for the irate parents who will continue to have their kids getting to school and home on an erratic schedule.

The problem starts at the top with Mr. Pruden. He has an utter disregard for the parents of the students of Brunswick County’s schools. He has said before that we, the aforementioned parents, need to be reprogrammed.

• Wilmington Observer says:

Government run (insert business type here) will never be as efficient as, private, businesses where your work product dictates your ability to bring home a paycheck and more can be done with less.

Wilmington Observer

• Vog46 says:

The government is more efficient at protecting the masses and educating the masses than any private sector entity would be.
    The key words are “the masses”
    On an individual basis yeah private company’s do things more efficiently, no doubt, and individual schools would bus more effectively.
    This county bus situation will improve – I’m sure.

Vog

• TCES Parent says:

Sure, it’s the first day of school and there are going to be delays. That is to be expected. My children were supposed to be home at 4:23pm since they are on the begining of the bus route. When 4:58 rolled around and both South Middle/High school and Early College buses passed by from completing their routes and there were no other buses in sight, I called TCES and explained that I understood it was the first day of school and there would be delays but wanted to know how much longer before I should expect my children to be home. It was NOT UNTIL then that I found out ALL TCES students were just boarding the buses. It was at that moment when I hit the roof.

Was this real? 1 hr and 15 minutes passed school release and kids were just boarding the buses? I demanded my children to be removed from the bus and was at the school within 7 minutes to pick them up from the front office to keep them from arriving home between 6-6:30pm. It was 6pm when the bus passed by. Living ½ mile off the road, someone is required to sit at the bus stop and wait on the children to be dropped off. I had my cell phone but no call had come in from the school to notify parents of the significant delays. I called the superintendent’s office and expressed my concerns to the assistant who answered the phone for her to LAUGH while speaking to me. I questioned her laughing and emphasized how rude, disrespectful and unprofessional it was for her to laugh while speaking to a concerned parent whose children had not loaded the buses 1 hr and 15 minutes after school dismissed, as if to discount their complaint. She claimed she was not laughing at my call but nonetheless, she was either truly laughing at my complaints or at something else and therefore not paying attention. I left a message with the assistant to have someone return my call. 10 am the next day and no call has been received as of yet. Trust me, the way she handled the call will be escalated.

Sure, the first day is hectic but for these elementary students to wake up around 7am for school and not get home until 6-6:30 pm, a 11 ½ hour school day is not acceptable. Traffic delays, delays with students addresses—sure that is going to happen and yes, it should smooth out quite a bit but there is always going to be great room for delays with the staggered schedule. It’s not the bus drivers fault, the teachers, staff or administration. NC needs to get it together—budget deficits, underpaid teachers, common core. Who makes these decisions? How much money is it saving to share routes if 1 bus driver is spending as much time on the road transporting middle/high school students and then elementary students to and from school as 2 drivers?

• ruff says:

Waa, waa, waa.

The bus drivers are spending just as much time on the road as they do with regular schedule. The amount of gas used is the same, if not more. How does this save money?

My husband called the superintendent’s office last year and asked to speak to Mr. Pruden. He was put on the phone with the assistant superintendent. She was b*tchy, rude and downright unprofessional. Mr. Pruden is too good to speak to the parents. He said in a school board meeting that the parents of Brunswick County need to be reprogrammed. We hear all the time how important parent involvement is in the child’s education. I believe it, but Mr. Pruden doesn’t. He is an arrogant, self-important man who as utter disregard for the parents of the students in his charge.

• CoastalJade says:

Trust me, the way she handled the call will be escalated…..

Your words. Laughable and YES I am laughing at you.
    Because I can see you are a parent who has kids who do no wrong. I can see you as the parent making educators jobs harder by you not getting your way for little Johnny or Sally. Do you let them eat on their own or are you still spoon feeding them.

You know darn good and well the first week, buses are never on time.
    And by the way, riding a bus is a privilege. If this is not fixed by second week and concerns you so badly…maybe drive your kids to and from school.
    Did you even vote on this when it came up?
    If you didn’t …

• Guest1971 says:

This has happened every year with Brunswick County during the first week of school – staggered schedules or same schedules. No amount of planning ever seems to cover for the issues that actually occur. This is my 6th year with a child riding a bus in Brunswick County & this happens every year. It seems by time the second week of school starts they have everything worked out and the buses drop off with 2-3 minutes of the stated time on the schedule with the rare exception for unplanned incidents.

Our choices as parents are to either be patient the first days of school while they work the issues out or go to the school and pick the children up ourselves which creates a whole different problem with traffic control at the school.

The school system can go back on traditional schedule and loose the school resource officers at the elementary schools giving people a new problem to complain about. Or they can raise taxes to cover full bus routes & resource officers at elementary schools which will be complained about.

• Concerned Parent says:

Raising taxes will make little impact on indivoiduals. Probably will go unnoticed and will make a huge impact on the quality of public education from as far as teachers being compensated for the pay they deserve to traditional schedules. SROs in schools are great but the staggered schedule is breaking the bank for many middle income families that do not qualify for assistance yet do not make enough to foot several extra hundred dollars a month to compensate for the time difference. If you make minimum wage, you would be better off to the price it costs to have before or after school care, save the gas, sit for hours waiting on buses to drop your children off and live off of 1 income. You would likely be giving up your income either way to get your children to school on time to make it to work. Yes, the kinks may get worked out after week one but what happens when a middle/high school bus is delayed due to the driver, traffic, broke down? There’s still going to be issues and we don’t even have a phone system we can rely on to inform parents of the significant delays. I agree with the other parent who suggested emailing as well. They have this information. Utilize it. We all know you can’t rely on technology 100%. have a back up plan.

• Frustrated Parent says:

Ok so a problem with the phone system caused the communication lapse? Does that mean email doesn’t work?! Or how about teachers calling parents themselves for their students. Every child is required to have contact information on file before the start of school. I would like to know what plans the school has to make sure this lack of communication doesn’t happen again. My children were due home at 4:10 and arrived at 5:40pm! There MUST be a back up plan in place to notify parents of school/bus issues. Yesterday was clearly a failure on multiple levels and hope it will not happen again.

• Tired Teacher says:

Who do you think was watching your children for the hour before the bus loaded? Teachers were not available to call twenty-plus parents!

• GuestGuest says:

It wasn’t just Town Creek Elementary. Belville Elementary was delayed as well. My son got home at 5:30. UNACCEPTABLE!!!

• SMBeez says:

I did serve for 10.5 years. United States Army. I have taken reading comprehension and beyond. I have three college degrees!!!
    I do not misunderstand the meaning of defending the rights of others and the U.S. citizens.
    I do believe in the right to defend and carry.
    I do not give two cents about Prez. O’morona.
    I do appreciate the ability we have in this country to have an honest and open discussion about anything we wish.
    I do thank you, sincerely for your service!!
    I do retract my insult. I should have just stated that I disagree with your assessment of the issues being discussed. I have the education and ability to debate issues and not be insulting.
    Again, Thank You for your service and the debate!!! SMBeez

• SMBeez says:

Our current Gov’t is doing everything in their power to end the ability to protect us. The only way we can be protected is to defend ourselves.
    You are absolutely out of your mind, lost your marbles, if you think the Gov’t is a better teacher of the masses than the private sector.
    I have viewed your comments for years now, and kept my peace.
    I can’t hold it any more. You sir are a imbecile!!!!!!

• Vog46 says:

Read my comments again.
    I didn’t say government was “better” I said they were more efficient. Sure I would have like to have sent my kids to Duke but if UNC was all I could afford? Then thats OK too – that is education for the masses and on a dollar for dollar basis is far cheaper then Duke.
    The same hold true for public versus private high schools and elementary school. but thats OK you just plain misread what I said – or did you?

Perhaps you misunderstand that I spent 20 years in the Army defending “the masses” back home from Communist (at the time) aggression. The VERY same free speech you use to call me an imbecile was protected by me for 20 years – yeah I protected “the masses”.
    You believe that a hand gun is OK for personal protection and I happen to agree with you – but the protection of the masses means the army protects YOU from T-32 tanks shooting through the Fulda gap back in the day. Or the Red Menace as they used to say…

And yes Beez I defended YOUR right to bear arms while serving. I upheld the Constitution – for you, for me, and everyone else that cherishes the rights granted therein. Thats protection of “the masses”
    By the way I am registered as non affiliated, but I lean GOP on most issues and I dare say that my right to bear arms has in no way been impeded by this administration in any way shape or form. In fact I can now carry in National Parks and on Amtrak trains – something our Republican presidents of the past never saw fit to change – but President Obama did. Do I support unfettered gun rights? Hell no – there’s too many idiots out there now that legally own guns.
    But let me clue you in on something – don’t wait to hurl insults at me – do it right away. If I make you mad – sound off. THAT sir, will make my years of service worthwhile – and if YOU served? Thanks for YOUR service.
    But take reading comprehension – because you mistake “the masses” for individual rights and singular businesses/schools as opposed to government schools.
    Have a great day

Vog

• Displeased Mom says:

My children go to Bolivia and they also had a few buses with the same problems. My high duaghter had problems even finding out what bus number she was supposed to be on. She was told to try 3 different buses. Not a good start to the new school year!!

• Rose says:

I assume you meant to say “high school” but in case you didn’t, it’s no wonder that your high daughter couldn’t find her bus!

All I can say is “I am thankful to live in New Hanover county where the buses picked the kids up for school on time this morning” (1st day of school) I am certain they will get them home on time also. what a mess they have going on in Brunswick Co with that staggered schedule. Such a large county (mile wise) to be cutting down on buses and drivers.
    my elementary kids are out of school and home at 3 pm. Middle schooler home at 4 pm.
    Good job New Hanover county.

For every issue, there are those who are familiar with the truth and those who speculate. There are those who work to be contributors and build upon society and those who complain about everything they can find to complain about because they are unhappy with themselves. There are those who spout negative opinions without much of a request, so their platform appears solid. Every situation has innumerable elements. There are similarities between New Hanover and Brunswick counties but neither is better than the other whether we are discussing education, crime, or any other topic. Instead of comparing and grandstanding, take moments to do what YOU can do to improve situations. Life becomes sooooooo much better when you do….but of course, that takes maturity. Tomorrow’s always a better day, if you expect it to be, that is.