RALEIGH, NC (AP) -- Raleigh's city council is scheduled to start what's being termed as a "community discussion" on a weekend crackdown on groups offering free food to homeless people in a downtown park.
The News & Observer of Raleigh reports the discussion is scheduled for Wednesday, when the council's Law and Public Safety Committee meets at 3 p.m.
A police officer told Love Wins Ministries last Saturday not to hand out breakfast biscuits. The group had been handing out the food for six years. There were no arrests, and those who run the program were simply told about the ordinance.
The food flap made national headlines Monday and highlighted decades-old tensions between downtown's homeless population and the workers, residents and visitors driving the area's revitalization.