Car crashes into BB&T on 17th Street

Tags: , ,

Submitted: Thu, 09/05/2013 - 3:40am
Updated: Thu, 09/05/2013 - 3:53am

WILMINGTON, NC, (WWAY) — A car crashed into the BB&T near Smithfields on 17th Street extension.

Police say an elderly woman was leaving her parking spot when she confused the brake pedal with the gas pedal.

It sent her car careening into the side of the bank.

No one was hurt, and police don’t expect to file any charges against the driver.

I got rear-ended by a sixteen year old a few years ago. Made the mistake of hiring an attorney that ended up sympathizing with her. Never mind the fact that I have been in pain every day since.

• 211 says:

Two years ago, at the age of 76, I was rear ended by a young lady in her early 20s. Her fault. Guess they should have taken my license because I was in her way, huh? If you fear this so much, why not turn in your drivers license and stop driving? Lots of people have wrecks that aren’t elderly.

• Vog46 says:

She confused the brake and gas pedals?
    Or, did she think she was at the Smithfield drive thru and wanted to get home quick to eat her barbecue?

Now here’s a case where the DMV should consider additional testing for the driver (unfortunately). This is MY biggest fear as I age – that someday I will do the same thing.

Vog

• kzpony says:

As sad as it is, there has to come to a point that someone needs to step in and take the license to drive away. My grandmother was legally blind and kept getting her license renewed. She was on all types of medication every day that we had to write the names of on the caps with a Sharpie so she could see them and would take them correctly. My mother stepped in and talked to her doctors and she was removed from the road. It meant more work for us as we took her to the doctor, church, and grocery shopping, but we knew that she was safe and the community was safer. It devastated her for a while, but she did realize within her heart that it was for the best.

Yes, which pedal to press??? She had a 50% chance of getting it right and failed. Time for a drivers license medical review board for her.

• taxpayer says:

This lady was simply trying to redefine the term “drive thru”.