JAILHOUSE INTERVIEW ONLY ON 3: Facing murder, drug charges Hines says family is being targeted

Tags: , , , , , , ,

Submitted: Thu, 09/05/2013 - 9:47pm By:

WILMINGTON, NC (WWAY) — In 2011 Garry Hines says his brother was murdered and shortly after that he and his other brother Rashawn Hines became targets of the Wilmington Police Department.

“They act like I’m Malcolm X and my brother’s Huey P. Newton or something,” said Garry Hines. “They’re putting out bad things about we’re the city’s two worst offenders and my record is the cleanest out of all of my brothers and sisters.”

In 2011 Garry Hines was charged with 1st degree murder for the death of 23-year-old Cornelius Blanks.

While out on bond Hines was picked up on various other drug charges.

Appearing in court on Wednesday to face those charges he was once again arrested and charged with 11 more counts of selling and delivering heroin.

The 20-year-old was arrested after a month long investigation by the Wilmington Police Departments’ Vice Narcotics Unit. He is in the New Hanover County Jail under a $1 million bond.

“I want to know why my bond is a million dollars out of everybody that comes through here,” said Hines. “Is it just because of who I am?”

With many tattoo’s visible Hines admits he is a gang member but he says that doesn’t give law enforcement a right to target him and his family.

“I’m being targeted everywhere I go,” said Hines. “They raided my house three times and found nothing every time they went in there. The most thing they got out of there was a little clip of weed. The last time they threw some weed in there trying to set me up. I’m not saying I’m an innocent person that’s just out there 100% straight. I’m someone who is trying to change and you cannot change overnight.”

• Common Sense says:

The white man made me do it. It’s the white’s fault. Give me a )):&@@:&;$&.$)/$ break!

• renoGuest says:

Can you @ WWAY PLEASE ! find some news to report on. NO one cares about seeing these loosers every night.I cant take much more of the same old crap along with panda bears.Dont you get it we dont care!!You are managing to boar your viewers along with the loud intro music just so you can play your commercials loud.I beg you please just stop making yourselves look bad.

• Wilmington Observer says:

A “frequent flyer” of the criminal justice system and another example of why I would prefer my (tax) money be diverted to the building and staffing of more prisons instead of providing others housing, medical care, education, transportation, job training, daycare, cellphones, etc, etc.

Wilmington Observer

• Guest 038875 says:

to start supplying even more free birth control for those who need it.

What’s the point of having children it you’re not going to bother to raise them responsibly?

• ldjones11 says:

What we have here is either Wilmington’s worst criminal or Wilmington’s dumbest criminal.There is no sympathy for either.

Bail isn’t meant to punish. It is meant to ensure that the defendant shows up for trial. Most likely, the man in Virginia was held because he was a flight risk since he didn’t live there.

• Best Record? says:

Why is he even out if he is suspected of killing someone?? Didint a local firefighter just spend a few months behind bars in Virginia for a far lesser crime that he didnt comment. And he was denied bail. Get comfortable because your no longer the “most wanted” Your in jail. This is his younger brothers record, Who is only 19. Looks like another winner! There is a saying “Dead or in jail for a reason”. Thats where your heading. Or should I say already there!

Like really this system we have is crazy. He kills my sons father n then get out on bond. wtf type shi* is that. Idk what we got here but lord knowns the lord will lead him where he need to b mark my words.

• SurfCityTom says:

he has the cleanest record of all his brothers and sisters.

out on bail for a murder charge from 2011.

in court to face an unknown number of drug charges, for which he had been on bail.

arrested for 11 more drug charges.

and he can not understand a million dollar bond

if his is the cleanest record, that must be a heck of a family.

the WPD may want to look at the rest of the family in its war on crime.

• windy says:

With a rapsheet like that, it is apparent that he’s been set up A LOT!!!

Not to mention his convictions, one of which is assault with a deadly weapon inflicting serious injury. If he is the tamest one in his family, then I am glad I am not a member.

I am a target of the police too…. Not! Because I obey the law and stay out of trouble.

Not saying too much about your siblings. The cleanest hog on the farm is still a dirty pig.

• SarckyChica says:

Guest 2769, yours is quite possibly the best comment I’ve ever read on WWAY’s website.

Read it 30 minutes ago, and I’m STILL laughing so darn hard that tears are rolling down my face and my stomach hurts from giggling so much. :-D

It is a good one.

Oh, that is so sad. You made your bed and now you whine about having to lay in it. That just breaks my heart that the poor widdle gang-banger is getting picked on.

Grow up and be an adult.

• Guest-o-matic says:

…violent FELONS are people too. It seems that’s the way the judges and DA’s see it…

Perhaps if all of the law abiding citizens would have realized how easy it is to rob, rape and pillage (get away with it and laugh about it), we would’ve done it too, right?

NOT!

• GuestMe says:

I don’t think that’s something to brag about. Of course, I’m sure it’s normal at this family’s reunions to compare criminal records. I’ll bet Mom is proud!

• Don Wrong says:

That’s your defence? Hey anyone want to start a collection to get enough money to pay for moving this fine upstanding family to another State? I’m sure the WPD could use a break from keeping up with these losers.

• kzpony says:

His record is “cleaner” than his brothers and sisters??? That just cracked me up. Seems to me that if the WPD is watching this family, that’s a good thing and they have reason.

• Smiley Gyrus says:

Gangs are just social clubs anyway, the term should not be used in the pejorative, unlike Washington Redskins which is racist. This misunderstood impoverished oppressed minority youth could be Obamas son.

Ya, i’m sure you want to change now. That’s the point of laws and jails. To make want to change before you do the deed. Now you can finish your changing, inside. Hopefully.

• Guestsad says:

Aww, come on, now! We have to let these guys do what they want to do! I mean, after all, they really have nothing better to do. What do you want them to do? WORK? HAHAHAHAHAHA!!!! Really?