WILMINGTON, NC (WWAY) -- The Wilmington Fire Department says the fire that destroyed a van full of tools and damaged a nearby car on North 6th street last night was an accident.
Kimberly Morris says her boyfriend had been staining wood for work earlier that day.
She says the stain is highly flammable and combustible. She says rags with the stain were in the van and caught fire.
Morris says she woke up to the smell of smoke filling her home.
"When I first saw the fire happening and I woke up, and came out, and the whole van was smoldering. It was just full of smoke,” Morris said. “All the windows were black."
Firefighters say the van is a total loss.
Morris estimates the lost tools were worth anywhere from $4,000 to $6,000
She says they only had liability insurance for the van, so they don't know what they are going to do.