ONLY ON 3 INVESTIGATION: Documents show founder of Roger Bacon Academy making millions

Tags: , , , , , ,

Submitted: Fri, 10/04/2013 - 9:34pm

BRUNSWICK COUNTY, NC (WWAY) — A records request uncovers that Baker Mitchell, founder of Roger Bacon Academy (RBA) in Leland, is making millions of dollars running local charter schools.

Mitchell founded RBA in 2000, hiring Mark Cramer as his headmaster. Multiple sources tell us Baker recently fired Cramer after 13 years together.

Tax records also show Mitchell got $3 million of $8 million in gross receipts collected by RBA and Charter Day School in 2010. Baker refuses to turn over any financial records regarding how much he pays himself, staff and teachers. Under state law, he is not required to since RBA is a private entity.

Brunswick County schools claim each student be educated by RBA is costing it $2,464 per student on the local level and $4,692 from potential state funding – a total of $7,156 per pupil. An attorney for RBA counters that the cost is more like $3,300.

We called the RBA offices Wednesday to try to talk with Baker. We were hung up on twice by his assistant, Jill Applewhite.

We will continue to investigate this story and will have updates over the coming days.

• jj says:

So, if you kids couldn’t pick out state or capitals when they were in the fourth grade there is a problem. My kids could do it in the first grade and it had nothing to do with them going to CDS (which they did). The reason they could was because we spend time with them at home doing what parents should do.

So, I would think you are the more of the reason and the problem. I don’t expect any school to teach my kids everything. Something’s have to be taught at home.

Put perfectly

• Guest-o-matic says:

So, do you guys just walk around holding your pockets open waiting for people to drop money in them for no reason? Do you like all of your “free stuff”? Don’t think it fair that someone has the innate ability to make lots of money through honest enterprise?

Obama wants each and every one of you! Go get in line for your rations!

• jj says:

I just love how everything is blamed on the Republicans when all of this was started when the Democrates was in control of everything.

Where do you get his salary is 3M?

• jj says:

Look this is done at the public school level also. One of my sons now goes to Williston and I received a letter from them that he was select to be tested in the RtL program. So, they are all teaching to the test in one way or another. Some just do it better than others.

• Mom says:

As for what you think of other parents,who cares I am married, i work, and i have three great , very smart kids. I was not asking for them to teach my kids very thing but this is basic geography. You have slammed everyone on here for their opinion. If this is that great of a school then way is your kid at another school. Can’t be the drive, because i drive three kids to three different schools. Still work, cook, clean and oh yes sit down and help with over an hour of homework every night.

• Really?! says:

I think the thing that everyone is missing here is that it’s perfectly fine for someone to be an entrepreneur.. But CDS IS NOT A BUSINESS.. it’s a SCHOOL. NO ONE should be making that kind of money while their employees are struggling to pay their bills. It’s BS. End of story.

• $frommypocket says:

I’m glad to read that my tax $ goes to this school. Can’t think of a better place for it to be spent.

• My4Babies says:

JJ you are very abrasive and rude. I guess we can’t all be mother of the year like you. Who are you to treat a parent like that? Maybe their kid knows something yours doesn’t? Oh wait probably not. Your children MUST know everything. Get off your high horse!

• don wrong says:

So who am I suppose to be mad at??? The Rude obnoxious Rich guy who is smart enough to figure out how to made tons of Money Legally, or the State and Local Government who are paying him tons of money each year??? If anything I’m mad at myself for not being smart enough to think this up….hey anyone want to open a Charter School???? Apparently the way the system is currently LEGALLY set up, there is money to be made!!!

• jj says:

Why am I abrasive and rude? I am not a mom, but a single dad that knows the value of an education. It is people like you that have no clue who are downing a great place for kids to get an education.

Also, it doesn’t take a lot of time to sit down with your kids each night and work with them. That is what is wrong with a lot of parents; they want the schools to do everything. So, get off your lazy butts and work with your kids and help them learn, 10 minutes a night can make a big difference for your kids.

• My4Babies says:

Sorry for the gender mix up. Guess we can’t all be father of the year like you. You’re not in that person’s home every night seeing what they’re teaching their children. Show people respect because some of them are actually trying the best they can.

• Morty Sussman says:

Obamas minions need to redistribute this guys wealth! Use the IRS against him! Of course, they will leave Alec Baldwin, Steven Spielberg and the other Hollywood elite Democrats wealth alone, and only target evil “rich” like this guy!

• carla says:

I CAN IMAGINE IT IS ALL ABOUT THE 1 0N 1 ,SAFTEY,CLOSENESS AND DISSAPLIN, OF THE CHILDREN @ THESE SCHOOLS THAT, PEOPLE WOULD PAY ANY COST FOR A LITTLE LESS WORRY AND STRESS OF THEIR CHILD @ BEING IN A BAD ENVIROMENT PUBLIC SCHOOL WERE MOST OF THESE STUDENTS ARN’T THIER TO LEARN ANY WAY

• Teacher says:

I’ve thought in several NC counties and have been paid exactly the same. It’s based on years …. At least when there is no pay freeze. You can look it up. NC salary on DPI.

• Finallytruthbtold says:

Baker Mitchell’s own daughter didn’t like going to school at RBA. She only went to RBA for a very short time & never returned there as a student!!

The point the other poster was trying to make is that the schools teach to the test instead of educating the children properly. However, this is not exclusive to charter schools. The regular school do it as well. The system is more concerned with accreditation and receiving grants than with the education of our children.

Not everyone has the luxury of time to give to teaching their children what they should be learning in school. The system is broken with no fix in sight.

• Jon O says:

Charter school teachers are not on the state-employee pay-scale.

• opinion says:

In case you have not noticed…. teachers in NC regardless of what school…. are paid the same if qualified. As for testing… it is what every school is looking at. All schools are graded based on performance. The important part of this is the kids… are they happy? Are they doing well? More focus on them please!

• Jon says:

Because everything in America is driven by the desire for money, and nothing else.

• Jon says:

On ignoring the bad things he’s doing and instead trying to make this about Obama.

I’m glad you’re okay with him defrauding and fleecing the American and NC tax-payers because he is an “entrepreneur.”

• Jon says:

Blaming the Democrats, too bad your understanding of history is a little off.

Please, lay out the time period during which Dems had complete control. Be sure to tell us how long it lasted.

And also be sure to tell us what legislation was passed that you’re referencing.

Here’s the kicker to blaming people: you have to be able to explain how it is their fault.

And you can’t.

• Mom says:

I keep hearing about scores, the scores are above par because that is all they teach . Very little History and Science, they have two math classes a day .My kids could not pick out states or capitals on a map in the fourth grade. We also dont want to forget that even if your child is on the honor roll they can be called to remediation , if you do not attend they will threaten to fail your child. I guess the more kids there, the more the state pays.

• lily rose says:

Actually, teachers across NC Public Schools are not paid the same. It differs by county and often by the specific location of the schools with in the same county.

• Whitney says:

Yes, it is true that the scores are above because the do teach above the level thinking at that school. You have a lot of history and science and math, but not two math classes a day. You get the opportunity to take high school level classes when in the 7th and 8th grade. I am in 10th grade now and I learned everything in my 10th grade biology class, in 7th grade. Yes, also if you are on the honor roll you can be called into remediation because the teacher, who is there everyday helping and teaching your child, thinks they could use extra help. They will not threaten anyone.

• My4babies says:

The tests are indeed taught all through the year. At the beginning of the year they talk about the end of grade testing. Not only do these kids fear the test but so do the teachers. I remember one of the teacher crying because her students didn’t do well. She was scared she was going to loose her job. It is pressed on the students and the teachers that the kids must do well.

• NoLongerRepublican says:

Sure there is nothing at all wrong with the Republican led strategy to take tax dollars from public education and give them to an entrepreneur who pays himself the equivalent of 75 teachers salaries ($40,000/yr x 75 = $3,000,000.00) to run a “Charter School.” What a great deal, especially for the “entrepreneur.”

• Mart says:

Stop spending public school money on private schools. Call them charter if that makes you feel less elite. They are private schools, started with a noble cause and purpose and now devolved into the worst possible education spending possible.

• public schools says:

Public schools could model this curriculum if it had the same budget and teacher to student ratio!! These schools do help a few but in the overall scheme of things they are frauds and fakes only caring about the profits turned at the end of the day!!!!!! Money received as federal aid and help is pocketed as profit that could be going towards public schools that dont pay teacher half of what they earn and buy a books for those that dont. Public schools will soon be run by these types of people that care more about profit than overall education

• Gramps1945 says:

I’m not defending these scoundrels, who are profiting, way too much, off my tax dollars. But this shows how much the Public School System, is wasting.

And you point?

• Lilly says:

I have too have worked in different in different counties and have been paid more in some counties than in others. When filling out my paperwork in one county I was pleasantly surprised when HR said,”Oh, we can do better than that,” when we were discussing salary. I also found different counties have different local supplements depending on your certifications and whet you are teaching. One county even paid math teachers at “at risk” schools, with a degree in math a 10,000$ bonus if their EOG scores increased by a certain percent. Those that taught math but did not have a BS in math received a different amount. Not saying it’s right, but I experienced this first hand.

• Sharon Smith says:

How come parents are expected to buy SO MUCH classroom/ teacher supplies on top of the children supplies? A month lunch through Diamond enterprise (roger bacon does not have a cafeteria, so you can pay for a lunch plan) cost 3.50 a day, you pay for a month at a time, and this is the lowest average cost per day. Roger Bacon knows how to make a profit

• Mom says:

Last year my kids classroom had no heat almost all winter, it was not repaired until the last two days of school. They had to hold class they in the music room because of the heat. (Out for six months ).

• Guest hart says:

Parents pay nothing to send their children there….the issue is should one person make millions of tax payer without accountability. Again the charter schools are completely funded by the tax payers…parents don’t pay. If a superintendent were making this we would say it was robbery…. And don’t forget that half of the teachers in a charter school need not be certified. BUt a charter school doesn’t even have to show you what they spend money on….. Other schools have to account For every penny.

Mitchell locates his schools in areas where poor people can’t get to because he wants a certain clientele… They even have slogans like “free private school”. They tend to draw kids whose parents aren’t exactly fans of diversity.

They also can expel students without reason. If a student is expelled they have no recourse. none. Do you think that low performing students would be allowed to stay? They make sure if they will affect test scores they are politely told that this is not the place for them. It’s a business folks. That’s fine if you think that our kids should be treated like a commodity. I personally think that you cannot sell our kids education to the lowest bidder. He is pocketing money personally that in the regular public schools could do massive amounts of good…..is that right?

Yes.. Taking money from children.. Patents do not pay to go to a charter school. It is by definition a public school. The money he’s paying himself by renting his land back to himself is tax payer money given to him by the state and counties to educate the children that attend. If this was a private school… This wouldn’t be an issue.. & to whomever said “pays his staff well” is a joke. Their teachers are paid even less than “normal public” school teachers & they’re not given raises. The millions he is making a year could be put back in to the school to make it top of the line & cutting edge but its not. Classroom AC units go weeks without repair, there are barely any computers for the students & almost a nonexistent library for elementary & none for the middle school.. So yes. He is taking money from children.. Our tax money.

• Karmaithinkso says:

Parents don’t pay to send their children there. I think the issues here are that he is making millions while the condition of the school (at least CDS) is pretty poor. I know that the lead teachers had a 30 minute discussion at their meeting last week about their VACUUMS. I’m sorry, but he can afford to get new vacuums. They are expected to keep a spotless room with vacuums that spit dirt everywhere. Instead, the teachers beg and plead, and their voices fall onto deaf ears. I also know what the teachers make, and it’s not as much as you’d make in a public school.. And if he’s got so much money, hire more assistants. Buy better computers. Build a cafeteria. Don’t be a greedy old man.

• Truth says:

So here is the problem, you complain that the public school is failing yet fail to recognize that the charter school is taking money out of the public school budget. I have no problem with a person seeing a problem in the public school and creating a business. My problem starts when they are complaining about public school not doing enough and then taking money from the public school budget to line their own pockets. If you want your child in a private setting, pay for it. Don’t take money out of every public students budget so that you can have a “better” education while making public students do more with less!

• beach guy says:

How so?
    because if I am understanding this correctly these charter schools will relieve over crowding provide a better education a better environment and have higher graduation rates for less tax dollars than the public school system which is in my opinion and based on national ratings an abysmal failure.

WE have failed the children for too many decades with public education
    it is not working and all the data points to the fact. public education should not be a sacred cow for the sake of politicians and bureaucrats to pat themselves on the back While the children drown in ignorance.

• jj says:

I really hate people that have no clue to what they are talking about and you are one of those. Everything you have posted is incorrect. There is accoutability and that is the test scores at the end of the year. I don’t see everyone beating the other schools in county for their kids low scores. Lets say that Half the teachers are not certified (which I know is incorrect) they are doing better job of educating their students than the county is will all teachers certified.

I think you will find your statment about the location of the school and the reason why is also incorrect. If that was the case then why did he open the school on Red Cross Street in Wilmington.

Again, you are incorrect. I will say I am glad they can expel students to get kids out that do not want to learn and hurts the education of those that do. I guess your kid was one of those….

• time waster says:

I remember my children going to public schools and the teacher’s assistant used a broom on the carpet to clean it. So the beef over vacuums is ridiculous to say the least. How do you know if anyone had a 30 min. discussion about vacuums? It most likely was about cleanliness in the classrooms and nothing more. With the age of the school I would think things are wearing. So what? The public schools are torn down a lot when they could be repaired. I doubt any teacher begged or pleaded for anything. Parents see to it that the best is provided when needed. If teachers make less (do they really?) there than I am sure they would rather to be in a better environment. It’s about passion to teach and not money anyway. More assistants are not needed when the teachers do a great job already and the students are eager to learn. The class sizes are small. As for computers, perhaps you missed seeing the 30 new computers just purchased. A cafeteria is not a necessity. Some schools are shutting down their cafeterias now because of the funding and strings attached to operate those. Frankly I wouldn’t want to eat the imported, fatty foods prepared at the school cafeterias anyway. Greedy old man you say? He had an idea and it flourished. He had to work hard for his monies and his accountant or CPA is accountable for his income and reporting. Is your income public information? I seriously doubt it, unless you are a state or other employee similar. I don’t view successsful people as greedy, as you stated. I do dislike jealous people or lazy folks who talk of things they have no true knowledge of. I consider myself LUCKY. Lucky that I do have knowledge of things that happen at RBA and I AM LIKING WHAT I KNOW AND SEE. Any complainers? Then put your child in a public school taught by bullying teachers and RIDE the broom that is used to clean their classroom. I think the shoe fits you well. On Nov. 4th when the NC public teachers do a walk out for more money I bet you will be looking a place to dump your little darling because you can’t stand them being home with you and someone’s got to teach them. I certainly hope it is better than you were taught. Praying for your heartburn, so don’t deny me my bliss as a RBA supporter.

Actually if these parents PAID the charter school their kids went to they would then pay premium prices and continue to pay for the public schools and your statement would be true. However that isnt the case, charter schools are free because they are funded by public school systems. Not one parent is sent an invoice for tuition. Now any firing of a headmaster or principal makes the news. That is how this story came about. It then became a place for parents and community members to state their comments just as you have, this in EVERY WAY reflects how GREAT our nation is because we have this FREEDOM to do so. Shame on you for belittling the country so many have fought to defend because people have practiced their AMERICAN RIGHT and voiced a concern on a news blog.

• taxpayer says:

State law requires local school boards to pay charter schools the same amount for their students as they spend on students in public schools. At RBA, their students consistently score higher than public school children on the same EOG tests.

How you can infer that “these folk are taking money from children” leads me to believe you are ignorant of how charter schools are funded…or at least buy into the theory that public schools are the panacea for educating children. There’s a reason charter schools are growing in both number and popularity as well as why some parents choose to home school their children.

• Mrs.B says:

I would like for you to first calm down, then research charter schools. Charter schools do not receive the same funding as traditional schools. My family has been a part of Cape Fear Center for Inquiry for 8 years and I can attest, parental and family donations attribute many essential dollars to help the school function. We do not use buses or participate in government funded lunches. No administrators or founders are making a single cent off of this charter school. Our school exist, only because of the generosity of the families who CHOOSE to attend and provide for their children and view all of this as investment into the community. These kids are top of the line, cream of the crop, because the parents are invested. No one is taking anything from any child, at best, the parents and staff are sacrificing above and beyond what your average school communities are. Thank you WWAY for providing this forum.

• Southern child says:

At last a news organization asks the right questions about the charter system. These folk are taking money from children. I can’t think of anything worse. Thank you channel 3!

• Justin says:

Taking money from children? These kids attend charter schools because the parents CHOOSE to send their children to charter schools. They pay premium prices, all while continuing to pay city and county taxes to support failing public schools. So, an entrepreneur finds a nitch in a community, fills a void by successfully investing and maintaining solid, legal (as far as we know)business practices and, eventually, makes a profit – then becomes the target of the local media for being successful? Wow, what’s happened to our nation?

• Whats the issue? says:

“Baker owns the land Charter Day School and RBA sit on through a group called the “Coastal Habitat Conservancy,” according to county documents. Tax records report Baker received almost a million dollars to rent the land back to himself. “Coastal Habitat Conservancy” also is reported to own most of the equipment and buildings / trailers the school uses to educate students. That equipment is also rented and the money is paid back to Baker.”

Exactly how is this ANY different than any landlord? A person with the means to do so buys a property and effectively “rents” it to a willing tenant. In this case a Charter School rents the land from the owner who happens to be the same person. Good for him! Otherwise he would be paying someone else. To me this sounds like a smart business move, not something that should be shamed in the public media. From my understanding Mr. Mitchell put up his own personal money and time to build a better school in a county that has a dire need for effective education and now is slowly recapturing his initial investment. If WWAY really wants a story maybe they should look into the messes that the public schools in the area continually sweep under the rug.

• Brian says:

The real question here is whether the rent that the charter school is paying is higher than market rate. If the rent is indeed higher than market rate for that area, then I’d say that the situation warrants further investigation.

Not a single thing you said is true.

• taxpayer says:

Warrants further investigation by whom? The parents? The government? Who?

It’s a privately-owned business.

• Southern Child says:

Another interesting question– Did the moniker “Coastal Habitat Conservancy,” implying an environmental focus, enable the land to be acquired at a cheaper rate? Was it purchased under a false pretense? Does the name entitle an owner to tax breaks? I am just uncertain why an educational entity would have the words “habitat” and “conservancy” in their name. Has to be a reason.

Tired of my tax dollars going to line this guys pockets to fund a PRIVATE SCHOOL. Charter Schools are nothing but taxpayer funded private schools. Put the tax dollars into public education where it belongs. If you want to send your kid to a private school, PAY FOR IT YOURSELF>

• taxpayer says:

The Legislature passed the law requiring equitable funding for charter schools. My children are grown, out of the house, and employed. RBA has proven time and time again their students outperform students in public schools via EOG testing.

Students who attend private schools, where parents pay a tuition, still pay their real estate taxes that are used to fund the public schools. Same with students at RBA…their parents still pay their real estate taxes regardless of where their child attends school. So in effect, their tax dollars are going to fund their child’s education…except in this case, RBA is privately owned.

State testing is a joke and so are their numbers. Charter schools are not monitored by the state when testing is concerned, so who knows what they are doing when the schools grade them. Also the kids who attend are selected by the schools, so even if their tests are on the up and up, you will rarely see a poor kid from a dysfunctional family who has a learning disability and no home support at their school. So of course they will do better on tests! I propose we take all the aforementioned kids and make the charter schools teach them. Let’s see their scores then! Stop funding charter schools and vouchers and start giving back to public schools. Fix the problem, don’t run from it! Public schools aren’t bad, just neglected.

• Guest Fed Up says:

Charter Schools are private schools funded with our public tax dollars. This is CRIMINAL. Why would Brunswick County Schools pay this guy 4 million dollars in rent and management fees? This guy must be related to someone at the state level (maybe our Governor). We are just screwed….the corruption continues.

• Former student of RBA says:

I attended Roger Bacon Academy for seven years. Not once did I see our “great” founder, I never talked to him, and the only reason I even know what he looks like is because of the picture of him in the yearbook given out at the end of each year. For somebody who is so concerned with our education where was he at when we were busting our butts to stand up to the Roger Bacon standards? To me all he cared about was his image. During middle school at RBA my mother decided to switch me and my siblings to a public school instead of dropping her kids off with a sick feeling every morning. When I started attending the public school, I was far behind in math and science, even though I excelled in those subjects at RBA. I guess the “wonderful” Roger Bacon Academy wasn’t so good after all. I wasn’t the only one behind either. My sister couldn’t comprehend anything she read because at RBA is only mattered how fast you read not what you learned from what you read. Eventually I caught up and the only reason I was prepared for high school is because of the little poor school I went to for the rest of middle school. I feel sorry for all the kids still attending the Roger Bacon Academy, and I hope they will blessed with some knowledge before being sent off to high school. Honestly I learned more from the “crappy school” in two years than I had in seven years at RBA. Everybody complains about the public schools, well if you didn’t give the money to the charter school then there wouldn’t be a problem. In my opinion something needs to be done about the lazy and greedy old man taking money from the children.

• Someone that cared about her child says:

My child went to RBA for a few years. It was sad to see that they only cared about test scored and a fast paced. The school didn’t cared whether the kids got the lesson or not. They kept going with the scheduled. The schools can’t do everything and I know the parents should still teach their children some at home. But my child needed help do you think they were concern. Maybe a little but she couldn’t move faster then the other kids so she felt she was pushed to the side. Thank God I moved her and I see a big difference and not saying she isn’t still struggling. But she is getting help and she is doing very well. She is on the honor roll and has been since the second year of leaving the school.

• Guestaphonics says:

Is there any way Baker Mitchell can be forced to divulge his “salary”?

I am eager to see how much this man pays himself. Interesting to read the students are taught in “trailers.” Trailers?

I suppose Mitchell got a good deal on *used* trailers.

Does anyone besides me smell corruption?

• taxpayer says:

Baker Mitchell is an entrepreneur…pure and simple. He saw a need for an effective alternative to the public schooling available and filled it.

So what if he’s making money! Do you think any business owner goes into business to lose money?

• Alli says:

The point is “Charter schools get most of their funding from state and local tax dollars. In 2012, documents show that Brunswick County Schools paid Mitchell $4.1 million. That included 16% of the RBA’s revenue that went towards management fees, more than $600,000 for “staff development and supervision,” and other costs like rent.”

4.1 million.

• jj says:

I am so glad you can cut and paste. Where you one of the ones to leave? Could it have been found that these people didn’t meet the standards that are required to teach there?

Let’s look at the grades that CDS students get on the state test and compare them to the other schools in the area. I bet CDS records will speak for themself.

I had two sons to go through that school from K-8 and I can tell you they did an outstanding job in educating them.

About the money…

They receive less that the county does to educate the kids. The county still get the transportation funding for the school and the lumch funds. So, what does it cost Brunswick county? Nothing, because they don’t have to educate the kids. The County has less seats to fill so that means Taxpayers have to build less buildings.

• been there done that... says:

The “Shake-Up” for RBA or CDS for that matter isn’t that the Superintendent has been fired. The REAL “Shake-Up” is that there has been 14 staff members that have fled from the school in the first 9 weeks. Why you might ask …. it is simple. Not only does the school have a founder that likes to drive through during the football games held at the school in his 100k+ Porsche acting like it is a parade waving and showing off his expensive ride, not even having the decency to get out and say hello to his staff, parents or students, he has employed teachers with criminal backgrounds, children and staff are sitting in classrooms that are infested with mold. Did any parents notice the mold removal truck that was parked on the side of the kindergarten classrooms approximately 2 weeks ago. I find it interesting that New Hanover county is busing students for 2 months to a different school due to mold but the mold is removed from these classrooms in only 3 days? There is so much money brought into this school and not a single raise is offered to any employee. Not only are the staff and teachers paid less than the state average but state benefits aren’t offered because CDS employees are not state employees but no break in the cost of insurance is offered to them because it is all going into Baker Mitchell’s pocket. Teachers are constantly fearing for their jobs. At the end of the year, the administration calls those that are getting fired or who are not being asked to return to clean out their classrooms and personal belongings, often without a simply explanation as to why they are not being asked to return. The turn over at CDS is insane! Mark Cramer was the last individual in administration at this school who appreciated his staff. It is very unfortunate to see this happen to such a generous person. Charter Day School is on a spiraling downfall thanks to the founder Baker Mitchell and his greedy, scandalous, conniving and dishonest ways. I hope the little remaining staff has sense enough to look for another job because this place won’t be around much longer when all of his dirty laundry is hung out to dry but those he has done wrong. Good luck Baker Mitchell, Karma will get you every time.

• RBAparentof3 says:

The students are not taught in “trailers.” If you have never been to the school, then you should keep your mouth shut. It is not a perfect school, (they don’t exist), but the teachers do a darn good job of teaching the students and the campus has a nice, natural setting for the classrooms, instead of an asphalt covered institutional setting. The archery team is world ranked and the student test scores are always exceptional. I can see why you would be jealous.

You need to know the funding that keeps a charter school running isnt from your parents it is from PUBLIC SCHOOL FUNDING! What money that is donated from your families is Im sure for extra things not needs. Also I want to say to you that not providing lunches is another way a charter school saves money and not having a transportation system is also a cost saving policy. No money would be needed to buy food to cook or gas for the bus. So to say it like the charter school has it harder then a public school is untrue. What a charter school does do is make it very hard for the public school system to stay focused on education and more on how to cut corners to afford supplies and staff because the county has to give your charter schools money.

• eGuest says:

So what is the big deal sounds like a smart business man to me.Sounds like he is paying his staff well and he make a few bucks in return.Sounds like to me Brunswick county schools are up set with him for doing so well.Get over it.Also sounds like the kids are getting a better class time.Parents don’t have to send there they chose to.So what I want to know who is doing all the boo hooing?

• tke1 says:

Doggone filthy, evil rich people. Imagine that! Not talking to reporters who are attempting to crucify him by innuendo in the local press. So the man is making money LEGALLY and has done fairly well. Let’s all do the liberal thing and draw and quarter him.
    I am sure WWAY is owned and operated by some poverty stricken individual who lives in Creekwood and is drawing food stamps and surviving on their disability checks.

• GuestCommonsense says:

There’s a difference between gross revenue and net. This clearly implies that he was personally making millions, while it seems clear the company was merely paid that.

I have no idea what’s really going on, so I’m going to show more discretion than the local news media and simply keep my mouth shut until I know some more.

This shows that the problem with financing our education system is not lack of funds. The problem is not wisely dispersing the funds.