WILMINGTON, NC (WWAY) -- After years of debate the New Hanover County Board of Commissioners has decided to take out the trash, and send it to Sampson County.
Monday night commissioners voted to enter into a contract with Waste Industries hoping to bring an end to the county’s solid waste issues.
“We have a duty to preserve the life of that landfill because once it's gone, it's gone forever,” said Chairman Woody White. “What we are heading towards doing now is going to do that, lower TIF fees, and it's going to keep more local collars in our county. We're glad we're finally moving in the right direction."
After deciding to toss out a plan to refurbish the old WASTEC facility earlier this year New Hanover County Commissioners decided to ship our solid waste problem elsewhere when they agreed to negotiate with Waste Industries.
"They stepped up to the plate and have reached out to the county commissioners for years now and have provided proposals and offered their services,” said Commissioner Beth Dawson. “They do business with surrounding counties and have a very good reputation."
But just like the trash it is designed to haul away one commissioner says the whole deal stinks.
"You know that I've been a big proponent of refurbishing WASTEC and handling our solid waste here in county,” said Commissioner Jonathan Barfield. “At the end of the day I think that we're going to be caught in a long term contract with another outside entity that may in the end cost our citizens a lot more money."
"We are looking for efficient ways to provide a service that is efficient and effective and quite frankly real common sense right here for our citizens today and for generations in the future,” said Dawson.
There was some discussion about completely dismantling the old WASTEC incinerator, but commissioners tabled that until further talks with Waste Industries take place.