make WWAY your homepage  Become a fan on facebook  Follow us on twitter  Receive RSS Newsfeeds  MEMBERS: Register | Login

Fire reported at UNC Chapel Hill dormitory

READ MORE:

CHAPEL HILL, N.C. (AP) - Officials say a fire has broken out in the attic of a dormitory at the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill.

An alert posted by the school said firefighter and police officers are responding to a fire in the attic of Cobb Residence Hall.

The statement said smoke was causing visibility problems and traffic congestion. Motorists and pedestrians were being asked to avoid the area until scene is cleared.

A link on the school's website said the residence hall was built in 1952 and was renovated in 2005. The coed dorm holds 400 students, and is equipped with smoke detectors and alarms.

(Copyright 2013 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)

Disclaimer: Comments posted on this, or any story are opinions of those people posting them, and not the views or opinions of WWAY NewsChannel 3, its management or employees. You can view our comment policy here.

»