6 Comments for this article

Tags: , , , ,

WILMINGTON, NC (STARNEWSONLINE.COM / PAUL STEPHEN) — Philly transplants should soon find respite in a sandwich shop planned for the recently vacated space at 204 Princess St. Port City Cheese Steak Company, a new restaurant from the same ownership team behind the New Orleans-themed Bourbon St. just around the corner at 35 N. Front St., is shooting for an early December opening, partner Kevin Corbett said.

Although he graduated from Laney High School, Corbett was born in New York, and has a strong affinity for that region’s cuisine. Expect sausage parmigiana heroes and other Italian staples from the Northeast to show up on the menu. But he said nailing the authentic details that make Philadelphia’s signature sandwich special is his foremost goal. “I’ll go to Philly before it opens. I’ll do my due diligence,” he said, outlining an enviable research mission he’s planning in coming weeks.

Comment on this Story

6 Comments on "Philly Cheesesteaks coming to Downtown Wilmington"

2015 years 10 months ago

First you create the Port City Cheese Steak Company … and then … you go to Philly to do your do diligence. I’m sure the cheese steaks will be fine, but that does seem as if someone put the cart before the horse.

By the way, Pat’s and Geno’s (Philadelphia) cheese steaks are fine but the ones in Philadelphia’s airport food court are the bomb. Got stuck in Philly because of a cancelled flight one night. Went to the food court and had a cheese steak before going to a hotel. The next day, I got to the airport an hour early so I could have another cheese steak before boarding my flight. Yummmm ….

Go Eagles
2015 years 10 months ago

As someone who is originally from Philadelphia, I know what an authentic cheesesteak is, just like someone from New York knows what authentic pizza is. There are lots of places around the country that serve up “cheesesteaks” that are nothing like you’d get from Philly. Of course, you’d have to have the Amoroso rolls to start. The bread does make a difference! Hopefully Mr. Corbett has had a taste of authentic cheesesteaks and knows how to put one together- I can’t wait to check this place out!

2015 years 10 months ago

I’ve had some pretty good ones, but they will never measure up to J Michaels.

2015 years 10 months ago

J Michaels will always be the best.

2015 years 10 months ago

The secret to a really authentic Philly Cheesesteak is the roll from Amoroso’s or one of the Italian bakeries in Philadelphia. I ate at a deli in Cary that did manage that (he imports his rolls from Philly).

steve flowers
2015 years 10 months ago

How can you eat there and order food if they don’t even have a working phone??