Gay alum disappointed with Myrtle Grove Christian School anti-gay policy

Tags: , , ,

Submitted: Sat, 11/16/2013 - 1:06am
Updated: Mon, 11/18/2013 - 12:42am

WILMINGTON, NC (WWAY) — Myrtle Grove Christian School is adopting a new Biblical Morality Policy that could keep some families out.

According to a letter signed by Head of School Stacey Miller, the school reserves the right to refuse admission or kick out a student “if the atmosphere or conduct within a particular home or the activities of the student are counter to or are in opposition to the biblical lifestyle the school teaches.”

The letter says that includes homosexual or bisexual activity.

“I started crying over it, because it truly broke my heart,” former student Jenna Ingram said. “They are being taught hate is what it really boils down to.”

Ingram is gay. She says the church sees many lifestyles as sinful. She’s not sure why the school is targeting and shunning homosexuals.

“I praise the same God as they do. I read the same Bible,” Ingram said. “I practice most of the same morals, and I consider myself to be a Christian. Yes, I am also gay, and I think God loves me no less for that.”

Ingram says she used to speak highly of Myrtle Grove Christian School, but won’t anymore. She plans to marry her fiancee next October.

Officials at Myrtle Grove Christian School said they would only respond to questions through e-mail. We have not heard back from administrators.

• Dean says:

Actually, the new state voucher program allows many inner city kids to use taxpayer dollars toward tuition at MGCS.

A Christian is supposed to uphold the Bible, so you are completely wrong.

The policy covering this, includes sexual immorality of any kind. The Bible does not forbid women from teaching children. It states that women cannot teach men or be spiritual leaders over men.

This school is teaching nothing of hatred. They are setting an example to its students by standing up for God, instead of giving into what society dictates.

What it all comes down to is this–if you don’t like the school’s policies, then go somewhere else.

I grew up in a Christian school. My parents and I did not agree with every rule or teaching, but I was there with the understanding that we would all abide by their rules. We were always free to choose a different school to attend.

• Newlin says:

The problem is that they are taking government money to run their school. If they want to be that way, they have the right to, as awful and despicable as it is; however, they should not be accepting public funding, or rather, they should not be allowed to.

• Guestomfg says:

I would be more worried that they are teaching my kid a load of superstition and lies based on a book of fiction.

• I Care Why says:

Reading the comments here, a lot of people are whining and complaining about the school being judgemental and yet every whiner is judging the school. Ironic huh? Please people read the Bible before you start making selective quotes trying to turn it in your favor. Any idiot can do that.

• Anonymous says:

MGCS is associated with a Presbyterian church, not Baptist. Please do not lump all Baptists together.

• Rusty says:

• cb jeff says:

Romans 14:1-23

• Gran says:

Way to go Myrtle Grove. If Christians don’t take a stand, this world is going to be worse than Sodom and Gomora

• Theresa says:

Actually, a lot of parents at the school love Principal Miller and feel he has done a great job. Truly, if there is anyone who does not like Myrtle Grove’s policies, they should simply find a school that has policies that they do like.

Myrtle Grove is a private school and as such gets to make whatever rules they like, as does any other private school. No one is forcing any one at Myrtle Grove to attend the school. We live in a free country and every parent has the right to choose the best possible school for their child, and they should!

My daughter graduated from Myrtle Grove and we loved it. She received an outstanding education in a faithful and loving environment which taught the Bible – as it is written. It was a wonderful experience and I am grateful she had the privilege of attending.

• Gustafo says:

Religion, look at what you’ve done! Just look! The brainwashing continues.

• paul says:

I go to Port City Community Church and our Pastor’s wife works at this school. I trust my pastor and his wife and if she work there and supports this decision then so do I. PC3 is the best churh in Wilmington!

• cb jeff says:

Romans 14:1-23

More of him less of me

• Beth says:

As a Christian, you would think they would want to keep those students from the troubled homes etc as a way of showing God’s love and to minister to them for a positive change.

• can't believe this says:

Wasn’t this the same church and school that banned Halloween activities years ago, banned Harry Potter books, and also had Masonic Masons stand in church and then condemned and banned them? This is so sad that primitive ideas and beliefs still exist.Perhaps all MGCS and MGCC members should be publicly listed and shunned for their hate just because they are hateful and will teach hate? I bet they also hate children with autism, retardation, CP, muscular dystrophy, cystic fibrosis, crossed eyes, club feet and you name it.I’m sure any child conceived by IVF isn’t acceptable either. I hope parents are really aware of what their kids are being taught there.

• wow says:

Get a brain of your own. Think things through on your own. Read your Bible, pray and come up with what YOU think. It is BEYOND dangerous to just trust the opinions of others and makes you and Christians in general look weak. I’m a Christian and I will not drink this kool aid just because some that I respect seem to think it’s a good idea.

• amazinggrace says:

I’ve read most of the comments here and this is what I’ve gleaned from them:
    1. Sodomy is illegal in NC and most other states in the South.

2. Homosexuals read their Bibles to use the passages as ammunition against Christians.

3. Homosexuals know that sodomy is illegal and forbidden by Scripture.

4. Homosexuals want to attend Christian schools but do not believe Christian teachings.

Are you still wondering why MGCS sent this letter out?

• Gustafo says:

That’s right Paul, follow in lock-step at whatever the church backs. Don’t have a thought conjured up by your own mind. You need other people to think for you so you won’t screw up in this big EVIL world. Maybe I should become pastor of a church and urge my followers to buy lotto tickets in my name……

• TruthSeeker says:

Well said!

• JKP says:

Why don’t all you Christian HATERS go HATE on the Muslims? As a Christian, we just don’t except the life style. But if you’re a COOL Muslim, you just put them to DEATH. But it’s cool to hate Christians now, RIGHT?

• Ridiculous says:

Right, because every gay person is attracted to anyone of the same sex…watch out because they’ll probably hit on you and then make you doubt your own sexual orientation!! (Straight parents and homophobes beware!)

• Harold says:

I’ve read your comment here and this is what I’ve gleaned from yours:
    1. You state: Sodomy is illegal in NC and most other states in the South.

I say: Sodomy is generally anal sex or oral sex.
    Who enforces that law? What a silly law. It’s really
    none of your business what people do in bed is it?
    If the sex is consensual, who is it hurting?

2. You say: Homosexuals read their Bibles to use the passages as ammunition against Christians.
    I say: Christians also use their bible to use the passages
    against homosexuals!

3. You say: Homosexuals know that sodomy is illegal and forbidden by Scripture.
    I say: Straight people also love sodomy even though they know it’s illegal.

4. You say: Homosexuals want to attend Christian schools but do not believe Christian teachings.
    I say there are Christian homosexuals wether you like it or not.

You say: Are you still wondering why MGCS sent this letter out?
    I say, “yes”

• TruthSeeker says:

No. They do NOT accept any tax dollars and have NEVER received ANY tax dollars. The school is completely PRIVATE. This news story is just discussing the potential for that next year. I suspect the school will choose NOT to accept future tax dollars in order to be able to maintain its freedom to teach as it believes.

• Guests 2021 says:

Let me be the first one to post a completely random passage in defiance.
    Leviticus 15:19-20. “When a woman has her regular flow of blood, the impurity of her monthly period will last seven days, and anyone who touches her will be unclean till evening. Anything she lies on during her period will be unclean, and anything she sits on will be unclean.”

Does this school herd its female students when they are on their period? Else a boy might touch them and become unclean til supper.

Are the uniforms at this school consisting of 100% purity, or are they of a blended material?

And alas, it is Noshavember. So for this month, many a man is keeping up with Leviticus 19:27. “Do not cut the hair at the sides of your head or clip off the edges of your beard.” So I guess we’re all safe this month.

Truth is, as society changes, many things do. It is not my voice that needs heeding, nor is it yours, nor the principle. Under the Christian Doctrine, we are not supposed to judge: That is God’s job.

Alas, at the end of the rant. A partial quote from the Pope.

If they accept the Lord and have goodwill, who am I to judge them? They shouldn’t be marginalized. The tendency [to homosexuality] is not the problem … they’re our brothers.” hrmmm

• Erlkoenig says:

So this big ugly biker goes into a bar and sits right in the middle. He yells at everyone to the right “everyone over here is a bunch of idiots”. He tells to the left “everyone over here is a homo”. Larry gets up and runs across the bar and the biker yells “hey where are you going?” And Larry says “I’m on the wrong side”.

• justin says:

…”Judge not”…

• Mr.Wizard says:

Hey I support the decision this private school has chosen to follow 100%!! If the homo parents of
    Students that do attend this school don’t like this decision well by all means start your own school that welcomes every freak of this earth. Maybe you can have a full staff of shemales and drag queens as well.. Geeezz you homos always gotta put their two cents in.. Im sure the bootie bandit would love to coach PE……

• Guest-o-matic says:

Myrtle Grove is a fully private funded school paid for by tuition as a basis. So tell us all Newlin, what is it that’s so “awful and despicable” about restricting the homosexual “lifestyle” from the religion based education for little kids. I suppose you think it healthy to teach them and encourage the homosexual method? Hell, it’s going to get to the point where nobody has babies if this continues. Remember, a hole and a hole, a peg and a peg doesn’t work. Perhaps not such a bad thing…

I don’t necessarily agree with the fact that the government takes thousands of dollars out of my check each month to pay illegal aliens to live here, send billions out to third world countries that hate America and continue to pay lifetime entitlement recipients that won’t get off their lazy @$$es, but their isn’t anything I can do about it.

Remember, we are “tolerant” of your unusual lifestyle of homosexuality, we do not accept it or condone it!

• Larry C. says:

There are many behaviors in the Bible, the Old Testament particularly, which are clearly forbidden. For example all sorts of kosher regulations, not many Christians contemporarily follow those kosher regulations. The list of forbidden things listed in the Bible is hilarious to the modern reader. Pigskin, for example. Our sacred game of football (more sacred than church worship to its fans) should not be played according to the Bible.

Divorce is forbidden. The method of withdrawing the penis for birth control is forbidden. The Bible says that if you are gay you should be stoned to death. This is a practice that is upheld in many parts of the Islamic world even today.

It appears to me that fundamentalist Christians, those who support Myrtle Grove Christian School, for example, are very much like radical Islamists.

They, like the Muslims, uphold the archaic and barbaric beliefs formulated by ignorant desert dwellers in the Middle East back in the dark beginnings of civilization.

Like the Muslims, fundamentalist Christians are anti-intellectual, anti-science, and anti-free inquiry.

• nogods says:

Do you know how many people you and the other sheep that give cash to PC3 could have helped instead of building that HUGE MEGA church building?

SO no GAY people go to your church I am assuming. Yeah right, you bigots make me sick.

• 10101 says:

So … The Bible was “written” by people who were unable to read or “write”?

That reminds me of another “ILL” word: “Illogical”.

I can appreciate you’re having feelings about a group being exclusionary, but leave it at that. When you start explaining the Bible, it becomes instantly obvious that you’ve had little exposure to it. By inaccurately defining some of it, you remove your own credibility from the equation which in turn makes your entire post relatively moot.

• Beth says:

“Can you refresh my memory on where in the bible it says inter-racial marriage is wrong as well?”

Some people cite the story of the tower of babble, Babylon, as god’s admonishment against interracial marriage.

• Lesbian says:

I can tell you first hand, that many, many members of PC3 are GAY. I can say this bc I’ve sat beside you many of Sunday’s and attend many events there. You will start to see the crowd thin after this comment and then you will know just how many “horrible sinners” you have led away from the church.

• lkharter says:

well said. After all, Who Would Jesus Discriminate against?

• Charles 1 says:

I’m sorry Newlin that you are not educated and have been brain washed by our Government ran schools. MGCS does NOT receive any GOVERNMENT MONEY. It is FUNDED by the parents that send their children there. That includes the Teachers’ salaries and benefits that are SUBSTANDARD to what a teacher earns working in our public school system. But they choose to teach just like the parents choose to send their children to MGCS. We have the right to choose just like you have the right to make a statement that is not accurate.

• Harold says:

Can you pray the gay away?
    No, you can’t.
    Asking a homosexual to change their orientation
    is like asking a zebra to lose it’s stripes.
    God made them that way and you shouldnt judge them
    for being fabulous.

• Dante says:

Where, in all the teachings of Christ, does it mention homosexuality ? Let’s see…oh that’s right NOWHERE !!!

• Pathetic says:

You are sick. Please be more close minded and pathetic.

• Beach Bum says:

“Hey Christians…did Jesus ever walk on another planet…or was he just assigned to Earth????
    What…can’t answer that one??????”

I can answer that.

HE created them so man could…

• guest7969 says:

Your in a cult?

• Well Said says:

Well said Charles!

• Guestomfg says:

Lets see, this is a CHRISTIAN school, so we should slam Muslims ? You are so bright.

• Beach Bum says:

homosexuality is a learned social behavior, not genetics.

• Guest Reply Redux says:

So if they are Gay…or thinking about applying to become Gay…should they simply take cold showers as much as possible throughout their live long days to settle their desires…or what?
    I always picture the scenario(s) of a Gay woman, or man, reaching out to grab a persons hand, that’s about to fall off of a cliff…or a Gay surgeon about to perform emergency surgery on a so called God Fearin’ person…and the Christian looks up at them as they are offering help and says…”You’re Gay…No Thanks!”
    Pow…Zoom…Bow!
    What…can’t answer that one??????

• Mckenzie Taylor says:

Ok…..so Myrtle Grove doesn’t support equality for all, that’s their opinion and they have a right to voice that. However, if they do not agree with the LGBT lifestyles and view them as “sinful”, what better way to witness to children about The love of Jesus then to allow them into their “Christian” school? Seems a little contradictory to what the bible says about Jesus’ ministry, in my opinion. Is it really necessary to completely ban certain children from the opportunity to learn in a “Godly” environment? Sharing the love of God should not be limited to certain children as opposed to others. Seems to be a decision that is polar opposite from what Jesus would do….last I read Jesus welcomed ALL and told people to come as they are. What message are Christians sending when they prevent, and even stand in they way, of people coming to know Christ??

If a man also lie with mankind, as he lieth with a woman, both of them have committed an abomination: they shall surely be put to death; their blood shall be upon them.

For this cause God gave them up unto vile affections: for even their women did change the natural use into that which is against nature:

And likewise also the men, leaving the natural use of the woman, burned in their lust one toward another; men with men working that which is unseemly, and receiving in themselves that recompence of their error which was meet.

And even as they did not like to retain God in their knowledge, God gave them over to a reprobate mind, to do those things which are not convenient;

If they banned Halloween activities, they did so because Halloween has its roots in paganism. As for their book choices, they have the right to choose which books are and are not allowed. There is nothing hateful in keeping with the teachings in the Bible. I have never met a Christian that mistreated anyone with disabilities. You are just grasping at straws.

• justathought says:

Just noticed comments about PC3…I used to attend their church, but was turned away when one of the pastors told me to vote my conscience and vote against same sex marriages…..He did not use those words verbatim….more like, “when you go to vote, remember your conscience, and what the bible teaches us is right and wrong”, after that, I never went back. I didn’t go to that church to talk about other people’s sexual orientation…..it was a turn off, and in a way an eye opener….A lot of churches are the platforms for political propaganda…I felt it was inappropriate to discuss voting of any kind from the pulpit…..Not cool….

• guest123 says:

Way to go! Stand up for what is right. All kids don’t need to be exposed to the sickness of two moms or Dads. we were created for a man and woman to be together. What would happen to the earth if beginning NOW only men were with men and women were with women? there would be no future generations born. un natural. we are to go forth and mulitply. same sex can’t do that on their own.
    The idea is you can love the sinner even if you are disgusted by their sin. Help show them the way to live according to our Lord. Even perverts can turn from their ways if they want to badly enough.
    Stay strong school!!! Our church had the same gay/lesbians attacking when we chose not to sponsor scouts at our church once the organization was pressured into accepting gay scout leaders out camping with our sons. Just say no. none of us have to accept anything we don’t want our families exposed to. their should be some “safe” places.

• Frieda says:

Good for you Myrtle Grove! Stand up for your beliefs and don”t back down!
    A private Christian school teaching the Bible and wanting their families to support them in that…how can anyone argue that? They are NOT public and do NOT use tax dollars. If you don’t like their clear stance then don’t go there, and leave them alone.

It’s their school. If they choose to be a bunch of ignorant homophobic morons, that’s their right.

• Tracy Hargett says:

It is a collection of stories, some of them historical, some of them parables, some of them dramatic. The Bible is a wonderful resource for any Christian wanting to live a better life. For the students who go there the Bible is NOT merely superstition it is the inspired word of God. If you want to be the foolish Atheist that you are, that is your choice. But don’t call others foolish for believing the right thing – you know, the thing that will actually get them somewhere in this life – that there is a God and He loves us dearly.

• Tracy Hargett says:

No, you are right that we should not judge in the eternal sense but while we are here breathing and muddling along, judge away!! But even then it should be done with as much kindness as possible.

• Charles White says:

The Judeo-Christian God, according to the Bible, is directly responsible for cruelty on an epic scale: mass-murders, rapes, pillage, plunder, slavery, child abuse, killing, and blood sacrifice.

The God of the Bible also allows slavery, including selling your own daughter as a sex slave (Exodus 21:1-11), and bashing babies against rocks (Hosea 13:16 & Psalms 137:9).

I know that most Christians believe that God is a good and loving god, and wants people to do good things. I believe that most people, like me, want to do good things and behave morally.

I also believe that many Christians haven’t really read the Bible, or just read certain passages in church. This is understandable, as the Bible is hard to read due to its archaic language. Also, and most significantly, many people, including priests and preachers, don’t like to read certain passages in the Bible because they present a message of hate NOT love. The Bible is chock full of hateful passages.

There is much good in the Bible; much of the New Testament is ethically and morally sound. But so many passages are evil and horrific to ponder. As I stated above, the passages about homosexuality were written by morally-flawed men who knew nothing about psychology, science, genetics, biology, etc.

The mentally ill were scorned by the people of the Bible because they thought the victims were demon possessed. Adulterers were stoned to death.

The moral code for much of the Bible was “an eye for an eye, a tooth for a tooth,” which was and is contrary to Christ’s teachings.

For Myrtle Grove Christian Church to demonize gay children is morally reprehensible; it is deplorable in the extreme. The thing about religious fanatics is that they put beliefs over behavior, and they lack a sensible concept of morality and ethics. In fact, many so-called Christians are themselves immoral and unethical.

Will Myrtle Grove Christian School ponder the moral and ethical repugnance of their campaign to reject and demonize children who are perceived as gay?

Again, I say shame on you, Myrtle Grove. You are almost as bad as the willfully ignorant, vicious, and violent members of Westboro Baptist Church.

Let me close by making it clear that I have no respect for your school. I denounce you and assign you to another of the many HATE GROUPS that operate across our country.

• Charles White says:

“. . . in opposition to the Biblical lifestyle the school teaches,”

I smiled when I read this phrase. Biblical lifestyle? Myrtle Grove is promoting the Biblical hatred found throughout the Bible. The Bible was written by illiterate desert dwellers, who knew nothing about science, and claimed the world was flat.

The men who wrote the Bible were misogynistic, pro-slavery, genocidal ignoramuses.

And the moral code in the Ten Commandments? They borrowed most of the commandments from other rabbis and philosophers.

The Ten Commandments has nothing to say about child abuse, slavery, genocide. Why? Because the men (not God!) who wrote the Bible believed these evil practices were good for their propagation.

As for homosexuality, they did not understand its genetic and environmental cause.

Myrtle Grove Christian School has revealed its staggering ignorance and hatred. Is Myrtle Grove, by chance, Baptist? The Baptists usually win the cake when it comes down to mean spiritedness and ignorance. (Think Westboro Baptist)

Shame on you, Myrtle Grove, and shame on all the parents who sign this evil document. It’s the kind of document Nazi Germany made its citizens sign, indicating they would shun Jews and demonize them at the same time, creating a climate that sent millions of Jews to the death camps, and “Christians” had a big part in the killings of the Jews. Read Martin Luther’s toxic anti-Semitism. He set the stage for the annihilation of the Jews. Christians have a lot to apologize for.

Shame. Shame. Shame.

• I agree with the school. Yes, every sin is forgivable, BUT, when you repent of a sin, repent means to turn away from. Remaining gay is NOT true repentance. If you are KNOWINGLY continuing in that sin, YOU ARE NOT FORGIVEN. You have NO right to force kids in a Christian School to deal with that sin in their face. BTW Manipulation the Scriptures is an “UNFORGIVABLE SIN.

• Danielle says:

It wants its mentality back. Do they teach kids the earth is 6,000 years old too? But seriously, it still surprises me why some Christians are still so obsessed with gay people. I got over it years… DECADES ago. One good thing to note is that these types of people are a dying breed. I don’t know how many students they have enrolled but I imagine that statistically some of them are gay. My heart breaks for them.

• 20now40 says:

Actually…………Myrtle Grove Christian will be able to accept tax dollars in the form of private school tuition vouchers which will become available for the 2014-2015 school year to families that meet free and reduced lunch eligibility requirements.

• kzpony says:

There are such loving families that have two dads or two moms. Many homosexual couples have adopted these children and taken them away from lives of violence, hatred, drugs, and deprevation. These people want their children to know Christ and get a good education as well. God loves all who accept him. How can we judge others? As always, the self-appointed judges peer suspiciously and fearfully into the bedroom of the homosexual couples, but I can count so many “Christian” pastors that violated the bedroom trusts of their heterosexual spouses. You people are sick and perverted in the head, thinking only about private moments between two consenting adult, but stand behind your “Godly” teachings to condemn those who have done no wrong to you but try to save a child of God from an unimaginable future. Shame on you, and thanks for the good post Mckenzie! Jesus said to bring the little children unto him, but he did NOT give guide.ines for those who could not come….ALL children…according to the Bible.

• Wilmington Resident says:

I hope those parents also signed that they would not commit adultery, divorce their husband or wife, marry interracially, allow single women to fornicate or allow their wife to walk out of the home without her head wrapped in cloth. It also says that men are superior to women. So hopefully women aren’t teaching their children because women are not as smart as men (according to the Bible; not my belief). You cannot single out one piece of the Bible without addressing the rest. All this school is doing is teaching that hatred is OK and gay people are beneath them. Not cool at all.

• tke1 says:

Here we go again with that “hate” excuse. Just because someone does not believe the same as you does not mean they hate you. A true Christian loves the sinner but hates the sinful act.
    If you disagree with this school, I guess that means you hate the school.
    If you don’t agree with them, go to another private school that you can agree with.

• Michael Farnam says:

Maybe you’d have them wear armbands, or a star on the chest so you could more readily identify them. Shame on you, you are in no way Christian

• Guest-o-matic says:

…with the authority to establish whatever policies they desire. It is a religion based institution and has every right to institute restrictions that are parallel with their charter. No different that a Jewish based, a Muslim Based or a Catholic based institution would do to accommodate their particular beliefs.

If the homosexuals don’t like it, they can take their money elsewhere to a school that accepts their lifestyle or go into the public school system, they take anyone. Nobody should occupy space where they aren’t welcome.

There is a lot of hatred and name calling spread on this topic by both sides. The very basic fact of the matter is, the vast majority of Americans are still Christian, believe in God and the Holy Bible. We have all been forced to “acknowledge and be tolerant” of homosexuality. Some of us do a better job than others, but remember one very important point here! “Acknowledgement and tolerance” should NEVER be confused with “Acceptance and Approval”! We’re still many eons away from that.

• IDIODIC says:

Beach Bum, REALLY? Are you really that ignorant? Ueducated? Learned social behavior? Can YOU learn it? Go and talk to a real gay person. Do you really think that if I, as a guy, who liked sex with woman would one day decide to give it all up so that I can LEARN to be sexually attracted to other men? Again, REALLY? WHAT AN IDIOT… Bahahahhahahaha!!!! LEARN SOMETHING, Cleetus… Jeez.

• J Sallee says:

It’s ok from a Biblical standpoint to be against open sinful lifestyles, but to kick students out because of their parents isn’t a very good witnessing opportunity.

It would be better that these kids continue to attend, and hear Biblical truth (if that’s what MGCS is actually preaching) and then let the Holy Spirit work to save individuals..

The goal should be salvation for people, and training in Christian education for the youth. That includes Grace for those still yet unsaved!!

The school can uphold Biblical values (and not compromise) and have compassion at the same time.

I call for them to make a clear statement if (what the report about this issue) has said isn’t what they mean by this policy and its implications..

• james martin says:

I really think that the school needs a brand NEW principle! Mr. Miller needs to go and that’s an opinion of a lot of parents with students at that school. How can you JUDGE, Jesus did not Judge! Why punish the children because of one or more there parents life style! YOU Mr. Miller should love the Children and teach the parents, not cast them out!

• Cheryle says:

God’s laws haven’t changed from the 50’s, the 20’s, or whatever decade you choose to tag. His word is not filled with hatred. He’s our creator and by such offers us the freedom of choice to accept Him or not. Any other organization could choose to eliminate certain types of people and it would barely make the news. But make a choice by standing on your faith, and this is where it gets you. Well done Myrtle Grove. Stand tall and strong on God’s principles and represent true Christian values.

• guest7969 says:

Missing the point. . you, I and every single person working for and attending that church is NO less of a sinner and we ALL repeat sin…judge not, lest ye be judged. …love thy neighbor AS THYSELF…

If we are not to judge any wrongdoing, then we don’t need prisons, we do not need police officers, we do not need attorneys and judges, we do not need laws.

Jesus called a sin a sin. That is making a judgment. The Bible is clear that homosexuality is a sin. The Bible states that it is a sin for a Christian to condone sin. The Bible says that you cannot serve two masters, for you will hate the one and love the other, you will cling to the one and despise the other. You cannot serve God and Satan. As for me and my house, we will serve the Lord.

• guest7969 says:

I agree the church is in the wrong here… but your attack on the Bible proves to me that you have NEVER even read it much less understand what it teaches.

• guest7969 says:

I will leave judgement of sin to the only non sinner there is and the only one capable of passing it…I can only ensure my actions show the love of Jesus and that my actions and words don’t steer someone away from God and into Hell.

• SurfCityJeff says:

Dear Internet Tough Guy,

I never said the U.S. Constitution or any federal or state statute prohibited you from having a stupid opinion, I just said your understanding of the law was factually incorrect. Which it is.

As for your gentlemanly challenge, I have better things to do with my time than play you one-on-one in basketball.

In the future, if you don’t want people casting “personal aspersions” toward you, don’t question total strangers’ faith on the internet. And if you do, don’t be surprised if some other stranger replies to you with something other than deference. Live by the sword, die by the sword, right?

I don’t know you or your wife as far as I am aware. I just wanted to point out that oral sex is not a “homosexual” or “lesbian” thing unless you’re lame… that’s just my Constitutionally protected opinion, of course, and you may not actually be lame. I am truly sorry if I caused your internet comment board reputation great personal offense rather than the mild intellectual offense that was intended. If I did so, please know that it is because I am a weak minded and not because I have any actual real-world knowledge or opinion relevant to either your sexual prowess or the legal reality of your U.S. citizenship. I apologize for taking your completely ridiculous comment to its logical conclusion.

V/R,

SurfCityJeff

• Guest1966 says:

Wow, you must not read the Star News, every once in a while someone will get caught in Hugh McCray Park “committing the act of crimes against nature” which does get punished. This pretty much trashes the rest of your legal education; and the rest of your comment.

• SurfCityTom says:

take all the shots at me you want.

It shows the weakness of your position when you’re reduced to throwing aspersions at a member of my family. That just does not cut it.

I wasn’t thinking basketball when it came to acting on your comments concerning a member of my family.

From your lengthy post, I take it you don’t have the stones to back up your words.

When you have to resort to attacking someone’s family, that’s a pretty clear indication you have a weak position.

• SurfCity JeffRocks! says:

Outstanding comments Jeff! Wish some of these people had just one tenth of your mind!

• Guest Reply Redux says:

” It is against NC laws for individuals to engage in certain sex acts. By the way, those same acts are normally associated with homosexual or lesbian activities.” (Unquote)

As listed below with sex junk desires: Pay tention now…Ya Hear?

1. Never at your partners parents house…especially their kitchen.
    2. *Never ever* on the back patio (satellites are watching/infrared/body heat signals. Watch picking your nose outside too, and flipping it. You are being watched!!!)
    3. Never during a football games 4th quarter (2 down/2 to go)
    4. Never while going to the bathroom/in the bathroom…this isn’t Germany!
    5. Never on top after 60 years old (lumbago)
    6. Never while drinking buttermilk (don’t know why…but it’s the law)
    7. Never 3 hours after a pork ‘n beans dinner (obviously)
    8. Never before/after church…just never!
    9. Never during the Ernest Angley TV Hour Show!
    10.If done during the Ernest Angley TV Hour Show…just touch the TV afterwards…and say “Baby”…and all will be well in the garden!
    PS: Don’t smoke afterwards…not even an E Cigarette!!!
    The End

• Gnight says:

The bible also says slavery is ok. What are your thoughts on that?

The bible also forbids eating shell fish. What are your thoughts on that?

We could go on for days over what the bible allows and doesn’t allow. Can you pick and choose what to believe in?

• SurfCityTom says:

dealt with homosexuality. I did not note any references to shell fish eating or slavery.

Why cloud the issue with irrelevant posts? Pretty evident you will wander all over when you can not accurately and factually debate an issue.

As for me, I don’t pick and choose from the Bible.

• SurfCityJeff says:

> It is against NC laws for individuals to engage in certain sex acts.

Regardless of whether they are still “on the books”, those laws are not valid or enforceable anymore. Nor, for that matter, is the law “on the books” prohibiting horseless carriages west of Fifth Street.

The Supreme Court has ruled on multiple occasions that sodomy laws are unconstitutional under the Due Process Clauses of the Fifth (if federal) and Fourteenth (if state) Amendments. The key opinion on the matter, Lawrence v. Texas (2003), was written by Anthony Kennedy… a Reagan appointee. If any law enforcement officer in North Carolina tried to enforce a sodomy law on someone, it’d be immediately vacated and the arrestee would be able to sue the officer and the department for a civil rights violation. And they’d win, too.

The laws are still on the books because nobody has standing to challenge them until they get charged for them… and nobody has been charged with them because the State of North Carolina and the individual county and municipal law enforcement agencies and DAs know that they are unconstitutional.

Mississippi just got around to taking slavery “off the books” last February, but it doesn’t mean slavery was legal in Mississippi from 1865-2013. The U.S. Constitution has a thing called “the Supremacy Clause” to make sure that doesn’t happen.

> By the way, those same acts are normally associated with
    > homosexual or lesbian activities.

Only if you’re lame.

Actually, now that we’re on the subject, are you married? If so, I’m sure your wife would appreciate some “lesbian activities” every once in a while. Heck, maybe you’d be in a better mood if she gave you a “homosexual activity” once a week.

> And if you’re going to beat on Christians, go read the bible.

She’s not beating on Christians, she’s beating on ignorant people who want to tell people what they are and aren’t allowed to do in their own bedrooms. Some ignorant people are Christian, some ignorant people are Muslim, and some ignorant people are just mean-spirited pathological homophobes with nothing better to do than try to make everybody else as miserable as they are. It doesn’t mean that all Christians or all Muslims have some sort of moral or legal obligation to be like that.

tl;dr: I’m a Christian, and you don’t get to speak for me.

> The scriptures are pretty clear on homosexuality.

They’re also clear on divorce and premarital sex, but I don’t see any “true Christians” trying to pass laws against those. And the only ones I see trying to ban payday lending are the Episcopals and Catholics. Seems like the only thing clearer than the scriptures (the church fathers are lol’ing right now) is your double standard.

> So if we are all God’s children, we should follow the scriptures.
    > Are you certain you’re a true Christian? So before you beat on
    > Christians, why not lead the battle in Raleigh to change the laws?

The laws don’t need to be changed in Raleigh because the Supreme Court of the United States has already ruled them unconstitutional. If we are all Americans, we should follow the Constitution. Are you certain you’re a true American?

• SurfCityTom says:

a lot of gum work for naught. The constitution allows each to have their own opinion.

I notice, like so many weak minded, you find yourself using personal aspersions. When did my wife become a topic?

Pretty lame Jeff. Why not verify your identity?

Better still, why not meet at the city park and resolve your use of personal aspersions? With a day or 2 notice, I can arrange ticket sales with the proceeds going to benefit Wounded Warriors. I promise I’ll leave my mamaluke and service pistol on the wall at home.

• BuckeyeGirl says:

SurfCityJeff, YOU ARE AWESOME!

• guestzzzz says:

Amen SCJ!!!

• JC says:

Can someone please tell me why Christians seem to single out homosexuality. I mean I understand that you might think its wrong, but you might as well start kicking out student’s who lie at home… Well, that I’m pretty sure would be all of them right….

Its been my opinion that Christians are loosing relevance in today’s world. These are absurd things they do/create to keep control of a vanising base! Its so absurd how Christians pick and choose. They have lost touch with reality and also what they should stand for. It’s quite desperate on their part!

There are bigger problems in the world than sticking your nose in the business of someone’s homes life. And children should not be punished for it regardless. This school and schools like it must be moronic. I mean, even if their parents were “gay”, the fact that they have the courage to still send their children to a christian school shows their love for God!!

You would have thought they talked about homosexuality in every chapter of every book of the bible, the way modern Christians are so gunho about that subject.

• james martin says:

I have read a lot of comments, but have not seen the Church take a stand. Yes the Church is separate from the school. But REALLY? You have heard a lot of talk. But when the school is located in the church property than school truly represents the church! So where are they at with this issue! Maybe its because they know that they should replace the principle for his actions for giving not only the school but the church a bad name! Mr. Miller you should humble yourself and resign your position! New Leadership is needed to speak for everyone so the big question is where is the Myrtle Grove Pastor is all this?

I have also read that the school does not accept school vouchers, the voucher program is Tax payer money!

• FreeSpeech1 says:

Why are you singling out MGCS? There are at least 5 other Christian schools in the area that have the same policy. Why not attack them all? Could it be that this is a “Tactic” used by the media and the left to push an issue? “Attack and destroy your enemies one at a time and the will submit little by little”. This isn’t news; this is just creating a good “BLOG” to let people spew their hateful comments towards Christians. I expect TV 3 will do a story next week about how the Muslims and their meeting places are so forgiving and welcoming the Gay life style into their worship groups. STEP UP TV3 and do a real story about that this whole thing about HATING Christians is getting kind of old after 2000 years!

• M Matthews says:

Under NC’s voucher program this school will be receiving tax payer money to preach bigotry and hate. If it was a totally private and independently financed school, ok. But it is not and people who are gay and bi-sexual will be financing children being taught to hate the life of the people who are paying their tuition. That is flat nuts and also it is what is wrong with the voucher program.

• Jasper Fant says:

You thumpers and leftists deserve each other, you also need each other to obtain and maintain energy. Fact, there are gays within the ranks of the thumpers and there are conservatives within the ranks of gays, this upsets both groups. It all became clear to me when I realized that extreme leftists and thumpers are horns on the same bull. Judge not. lp.org

• bigalilu says:

Christian kooks at it again. When can we label the Christian religion as a hate group like the KKK.

• M Matthews says:

Under NC law they will be receiving tax payer money in the form of vouchers. Taxpayers should not be forced to pay for religious schools which is what this school is.

• Jim Carrier says:

Have we forgotten Jesus is also the Lion of the Tribe of Judah and as such is the judge of this world. It does not matter what I personally think or believe, thaat judgement will come. Has God chanaged? If so, then He is not God. God is immutable, meaning He is unchangeable, Malachi 3:6. Is it possible we as a society have “made God” into the imaage we desire Him to be? For a truly Christian perspective on homosexuality, I suggest you seek out the account of the life of Rosia Butterfield. If your mind is searching and seeking, this would be good for anyone seeking truth. If ones mind is closed, won’t matter.
    Book Description
    Publication Date: November 15, 2013
    Rosaria, by the standards of many, was living a very good life. She had a tenured position at a large university in a field for which she cared deeply. She owned two homes with her partner, in which they provided hospitality to students and activists that were looking to make a difference in the world. In the community, Rosaria was involved in volunteer work. At the university, she was a respected advisor of students and her department’s curriculum.

Then, in her late 30’s, Rosaria encountered something that turned her world upside down–the idea that Christianity, a religion she had regarded as problematic and sometimes downright damaging, might be right about who God was. That idea seemed to fly in the face of the people and causes that she most loved. What follows is a story of what she describes as a train wreck at the hand of the supernatural. These are her secret thoughts about those events, written as only a reflective English professor could.

• antithug says:

OK this is really going to stir the pot, just a thought though, not taking sides, because I get it for both sides. Gay people are still people? OK and the private school has a “right” to discriminate based on their beliefs? Not sure, that is where law comes in. So what if a school was saying that they did not want anyone of a certain race in their school? Would that be OK? Don’t they have a “right” to do that?So to side with the “gay” for a second, I ask, “Are we not all god’s children?” as you holly rollers like to say. And to side with the church for a second, being in a free country, I feel you should be able to discriminate all you want to. So this comes down to being a business decision on the churches part, after all churches are business anyway. Cater to those you want and try to discourage those you don’t. Advice to the gay, just go where you are accepted. Why would you want to go where you are not accepted. Ok, I’m done. For the record, I am not gay. Gay people don’t bother me. That is there decision, choice, or problem depending on how you look at it. Does not concern me. Peace!

• Guest Reply Redux says:

Directed to all Extremist whether religious…or simply Redneck:

The Wilmington 10 started in your most prejudice city, and now we know why.
    Wilmington was the only city I had ever lived in, that was so far behind times…I expected the news people to announce (any time/and still do) that someone had invented something called “The Wheel”…or that NASA had landed a man on the moon…and I’m speaking about over the past couple of years.

To top things off…you have a news agency that digs for garbage news the reporters know will stir up prejudice by the droves…then sit back and pat themselves on the backs for an “Award Winning Job Well Done”. Your stories that dig up such garbage as you do, sounds more like KKK on the spot reporting, than an Award Winning News Agency. No wonder your Anchor guy Chris is leaving ;-)

Your citizens criticize other’s lifestyles to the extreme (In the name of your Jesus)…only because you are extremely dissatisfied with your own lives/plus need a mythological figure to fall back on…and strike out at others built on hatred and prejudices…all along claiming and quoting words from a book called the Bible, which you have transformed into your own handwritten definitions as you see fit…then preach it!

You folks won’t/can’t even vote out corruption in your City Hall…just so you will have something to BITCH ABOUT! That’s obvious. And you talk about how others invade your perfect lifestyles. Hilarious!!

Wilmington…reading your news stories and public Forum remarks like I do, just to see how much more “unprogressive…prejudice” that city is evolving into since my families departure…just one favor to ask for the people of the rest of this country. Whether it be your neighboring states…or as far away as Alaska or Hawaii…”Keep your lifestyle within your perimeters, continue to wallow in it, and hopefully Google will strike your news out of their search engine”. The rest of the world could only hope!

Better yet…stay where you are, and if you want to strike out at someone for their beliefs and comments…here I am!! Leave your next door neighbors Alone!

• GuestReality says:

It’s a private Christian school. They can make their own rules and regulations. Period.

• christianmom says:

I would like to clear a few things up. I am a mother of a child at this school. Up to this point, I have loved what this school stands for and the education my child has received has been amazing.

Parents received this letter Wednesday night and by Thursday it was in the news. Some of the parents hadn’t even read the email yet. We had no idea that this policy was even being considered. We had no say in it being put into place. Some of us found out about it after it was already on the news.

Please understand that many of us do not agree with the policy, but we have to take a moment to figure out our next move. We expect and deserve answers about why this happened. We have children who go to school with teachers and children that they love. When you have a small child, it isn’t just as easy as telling them one day “you don’t go to that school anymore, you can’t see your friends or teachers now”. We have to deal with the hand that has been dealt to us. My child has NEVER been taught anything about hate or judging others from anyone in this school. If anything, I think she has learned more about tolerance and understanding than she could have elsewhere.

I can say that many of the parents I know would never approve of this policy. We are Christians, we believe in the Bible, but are loving and compassionate people. We want our school to be a place where people are welcome to learn about God and His love for all of us.

Please know that it affects our children when people are saying awful things about their school. It hurts them. They are amazing children who had no part in this decision and will ultimately have little or no part in what their parents choose to do with this. Just know that when you are “judging” the school, parents, teachers, and children that attend this school, you are doing the same thing you are claiming to be upset about. You are judging and hating a group of people that you really know nothing about.

I may not support this policy and my child will not stay in this school if it is put into place, but in the meantime, think about how your words can hurt. The point of all of this is that we should all love one another. Everyone makes mistakes, everyone sins and everyone deserves forgiveness.

• Bill Wirt says:

This country is going to hell and the likes of those who gathered to protest are but the fuel propelling us to that final destination. God help us and most importantly God help MGCS.

• toni says:

“I like your Christ, I do not like your Christians. Your Christians are so unlike your Christ.”
    Mahatma Gandhi

• Tracy Hargett says:

Yes the school has the right to admit who they want since they are a private school. Yadda, yadda, yadda. But if I were them, I would have waited until a group of 45 students decided to have a loud and boisterous PRIDE meeting in the cafeteria during lunch. I mean really, did the school HAVE a problem with disruptions or are they trying to create problems for themselves? Let’s not kid ourselves – school is a type of training – for the work force. If it will not go over in school then chances are excellent that it will not go over in the work place. If parents would look at the situation THAT way, they would see that being able to stand up in the middle of class and shout, “I’M GAY AND I’M PROUD!” should be LAST on the children’s list of “what I can do” or better – not make the list AT ALL!

When do they send home the letters banning children whose parents eat pork and shellfish, have tattoos, associate with women who are menstruating, shave their beard, become drunk on fortified wine, commit adultery, bear false witness, covet their neighbors ass, fail to honor the Sabbath, etc. etc. etc.

• j bell says:

While we are tempted to think it is somehow wrong for MGCS to stand fast in the face of criticism, in fact what the Principal stands for is the Truth. And sometimes the truth hurts.

• M. Menowitz says:

To the hateful, bigoted “Christians” of Myrtle Grove and their supporters:

Religion comes from the period of human prehistory where nobody had the smallest idea what was going on. It comes from the bawling and fearful infancy of our species, and is a babyish attempt to meet our inescapable demand for knowledge (as well as for comfort, reassurance, and other infantile needs). Today the least educated of my four children knows much more about the natural order than any of the founders of religion.

The Bible was written and created for ignorant desert dwellers.

The Bible, chock full of evil pronouncements, contains a warrant for trafficking in humans, for ethnic cleansing, for slavery, for bride-price, and for indiscriminate massacre, but we are not bound by any of it because it was put together by crude, uncultured human mammals.

Christians who embrace the Bible and use particular passages to hurt, even demonize gay children are not following the examples of Christ, who had not a word to say about homosexuality.

These Myrtle Grove Christians and their supporters do not understand nor appreciate basic morality and ethics. These people are big bible bullies who want gay children and gay people in general to hang their heads in shame.

Never! I will support my gay daughter, and I will tell all gay people to hold their heads to the sky and to ascend to ever higher levels of accomplishment. Gay people are known for their brains, talent, and creativity.

Gays will triumph over your mean, ignorant, and evil beliefs, which, by the way, are so similar to those held against the Jews in Nazi Germany.

The Nazis created a climate of hatred centered on Jews, homosexuals, and gypsies, and the rounded up homosexuals and had them gassed along with the Jews and the gypsies.

If you Myrtle Grove Christians had the brains to realize how repugnant your actions regarding gay children have been, you would apologize for your blazing stupidity.

• Christian Wilmington says:

Well said JGregoryB! I have many gay friends and they are loving parents, partners and friends in their communities. It’s 2013 and this sad world we live in still believes that we should shun gay people. There may be many things written in the Bible, but does that mean that we should take it all literally in this day and age??? Those of you who are anti-gay, what would you do if your son or daughter came to you and said they are in fact gay? Would you shun them, too? Or would you take the advice of Jesus and love your neighbor as yourself? It makes me angry knowing that people have considered or worse taken their lives because their families didn’t accept that they are gay. We should be embracing each other – not dividing!

• Lesbian says:

I had to come back to say thank you for sharing this. I had 3 friends go through with suicide due to these same pressures. Parents preaching hate and not even knowing those hateful comments applied to their own flesh and blood. Kids who cannot talk to the parents and parents that will never truly know their child. Sometimes because of ignorance and sometimes because ignorance and bigotry pushes them to commit suicide. I read these comments and I shed tears. I used to feel different because I was Jewish in a world filled with Christians spewing jew jokes on a daily basis and then the gay jokes started in kiddle school. I am both jewish and gay and I am how very,very PROUD. I educated MYSELF and learned my roots and history. I am a second generation holocaust survivor and again, these comments make me so sad. To think of how far I have come, my family and humanity itself. These comments brought me back down to earth because I honestly had the perception we were so much farther than we really are. I have extended family that attends this school. Yep,my PARTNERS family.They support LOVE and know that god doesnt make mistakes and love is a positive thing. They chose this school for the education and diversity and put their children here to not only get an education but also be taught the teachings of the bible as in the positive lights of loving thy neighbors and the love of god. Obviously they are now regretting this decision and preparing a talk on why the kids will have to change schools. Imagine that talk…kids having to deal with their school is teaching the bible in ways it wasnt supposed to be taught. Marinate on that,people.

• JGregoryB says:

Im gay. I grew up in a Christian environment in eastern North Carolina. I spent most of my teens contemplating suicide and thinking that I was a depraved lunatic. I never had a choice in who I was attracted to. I just wanted to find love and romance like every other kid in my school. I was forced to live a lie, and hate myself. It wasnt until college that I came to terms with myself. Today, I’m 38. I’m happy. I’m married to a wonderful man. He is a doctor and I am a city planner. We are productive members of society who work to make the world a better place. I don’t care for these people’s approval. I do feel terribly for any children who are subjected to their intolerance. This type of influence is so morally wrong. Children shouldn’t be taught to dislike those who are different from them. They also shouldnt be taught that there is something wrong with them if they are gay. I’m so thankful that I was able to survive my intolerant Baptist upbringing. I have lived a wonderful life. If there are any teens out there reading this… PLEASE don’t let these people bring you down. It does get better. Work hard. Study hard. And get away from intolerant people. They don’t deserve your love.

• Beach Bum says:

Your alleged marriage is not legal in the state of North Carolina and will never be accepted into the Kingdom of Heaven.

Name your husband so we can get it on record who to avoid.

No body forced you into your chosen lifestyle. You consciously made that choice to embrace your perversion.

Then, as now, WE ARE ALL GOD’s CHILDREN! Shame on you, Myrtle Grove Christian – and you purport to be CHRISTIANS? I think not.

• SurfCityTom says:

check the books. It is against NC laws for individuals to engage in certain sex acts. By the way, those same acts are normally associated with homosexual or lesbian activities.

And if you’re going to beat on Christians, go read the bible. The scriptures are pretty clear on homosexuality. So if we are all God’s children, we should follow the scriptures. Are you certain you’re a true Christian?

So before you beat on Christians, why not lead the battle in Raleigh to change the laws?

• Guest1966 says:

We are NOT all Gods children, we ARE all Gods creation! Try reading the book, instead of putting it in the back window of your car!

• guest123 says:

This is a private Christian school. You don’t have to send your child there if you don’t like their beliefs. Plenty of parents do want their children brought up with Bible based christian values and chose to pay plenty of money to send them to private schools with their own family set of values. so what are you lesbian, gays and bi sexuals whining about?
    Not all of us approvew of your lifestyle anymore then you might approve of ours. It’s called freedom. and for now, anyhow, a Christian school in America still has the freedom to choose to teach christian values. Like I said you don’t have to send you child there if you are raising them being taught to say my 2 mommies or my 2 daddies. This school is not practicing hate or prejudice. You missed the part of the news story that said “Private Christian school”!

• FREESPEECH63 says:

If you read the comments, you will see that all the HATE is coming from the GAY crowd. I guess you don’t have the right to be who you want to be unless you agree with the other side.

• Guest-o-matic says:

…regarding the use of the “hate” word in reference to homosexuality.
    The fact is, NOBODY has posted any words of hate related to homosexuals, they simply explain their “disagreement” with that lifestyle. The gays want to call it “hate” to draw attention to themselves and purposely isolate them from the rest.

Society is forced into acceptance of homosexuality by our government while our Christian values still see that behavior as abnormal. Do whatever you want to do, but just leave me out of it and be on your way. Don’t try to force anything on me including the fact that you want everyone to believe your sexual orientation is normal.

You want your rights, but you don’t want anyone else to have theirs or to be able to have their beliefs do you? You think the entire world is supposed to succumb to YOUR lifestyle, right? You’re a very selfish and ignorant lot of mis-fits aren’t you? You’re very luck to have the tolerance that is provided to you, but you’ll never gain the acceptance that you wish so badly for…ever. Perhaps it that solid fact in itself that keeps all of you so pissed off with those of us that disagree with you!

• all4love says:

So what life lesson is being taught when you tell a student that they must leave or not attend a school because their parents are gay? Here is a child who has been brought up in a very loving environment (one would hope) and is now being told that this environment is NO GOOD?
    This is a no-brainer. If the school thinks the children should be denied an education because of their parents’ lifestyles, the children are better off going to a school where they will be accepted despite who their parents are and, God forbid, how their parents choose to express their love for one another. I speak from experience of being a straight person with many gay friends, both single ones, ones in partnerships, ones who have adopted children, those who have born children, those who once tried being who they were not and married and had children and are now happy grandparents while now embracing their true selves. I think it is very commendable that the gay parents want what they think is the best education for their children by sending them to a private, Christian school. That is, before all of this controversy erupted. It never ceases to amaze me that people continue to be so ignorant and unforgiving in this day and time.

• sad for these folks says:

Hate. Does a Christian good. So sad :(

• John Marr says:

It amazes me that homosexuals are allowed to have there beliefs but non homosexuals are not. Myrtle Grove Christian School Christian being the key word here is a private school, that teaches christian values. Why do Christians get ridiculed for there beliefs but all the non christian’s can do whatever they want with no remorse. I support Myrtle Groves decision 110%. It is time that Christians stop cowering to bullies and stand up for our beliefs!!!!!!!!!

• M Matthews says:

As long as they receive voucher money under NC law they are NOT a private school. Taxpapers pay for the school – LGBT and other taxpayers.

• pprb says:

It is a sad day for human rights. Human being the key word here. I believe that all people are entitled to believe whatever and however they want to. But as a christian it is important to remember that God loves everyone. Many gay people are Christians and many straight people are Christians. It is not an issue of homosexuals or heterosexuals being allowed to have their beliefs, because both do and both are allowed to. But it is when children are excluded simply because of their parents sexuality. It is the same thing as excluding children who come from abusive families, biracial families, single parent families and so on. If every child who has parents with sin within their lives was asked to leave the school, their would be no one left. I’ve never heard of an innocent child being the cause of their parents being gay or anything else for that matter. This is not a case of morality, it is a case of exclusion and hidden agendas. When some of these children grow up and come out as gay, I fear for what they will face.

• guest611 says:

So if a parent of a student at this school has an affair, will they kick the student out? Because the parent is not living a Godly lifestyle?

• I Care Why says:

It is a private school so if they want to they can, it’s their choice.

• Tracy Hargett says:

you do have a point there i was thinking the same thing. They have really opened a can of worms here.

• Really? says:

This is all about the new voucher program in NC starting in 2014 where parents can get $4200 a year in state tax money to send their kids to private school. MGCS looked at the numbers of potential enrollees and jumped on it. They may lose a few which object but now with tax money there will be plenty like minded close minded parents who will send their kids to school there. Shame shame shame. So all of you who say it’s their business who they want to accept in their school….. It isn’t. It’s everyone in North Carolina who pays taxes because it’s our money paying for these vouchers. And btw. The vouchers are for underprivileged whose parents don’t pay taxes.

• Nell says:

Sure hope they are not receiving Federal Funds!

• Guestofwind says:

I find it very disturbing and hypocritical of the LGBT community to preach tolerance and understanding and yet trying to use force, fear tactics and intimidation and demand the Christian community to accept their lifestyle. I’m sorry but you can call folks whatever you need to call them, it doesn’t really make a difference. To violate your personal core values and faith in exchange for social acceptance is the greater sin. Where did all the tolerance go from their end? If you really preach tolerance as you suggest others should, why are you all upset?

• GesusHKrist says:

So along this logic, could we just have an all white school? You know, cause its private…

• Stand Your Ground MGCS says:

About time some one stand up to GAY PEOPLE and not get scared if they get a law suit put on them. Question 1. where in the Bible can God support gay people I thought that that city was destroyed by fire? Question 2. what part of the Bible does the Gay people read from and even better get married from? Being Gay is a SIN PEROID!!!!!!! CONGRATS MGCS stand your ground.

• Pile of Stones says:

So, sinners should not be allowed in the school?

That would be one empty building.

I once heard that church is not for perfect people. It is for the sinners who seek forgiveness and knowledge on how to become better people.

• Jasper Fant says:

I don’t agree with their decision, but they’re a private school and can do what they want. I’m sure the Red Star is going to make this front page news for weeks since it’s more important than daylight armed robberies. BTW, I wonder how many of the recent pizza & bank robbers attended Myrtle Grove Christian Academy?

• concernmom says:

Well, does this mean I can drink, beat my wife, have affairs and meth lab in the basement, but, I better not be GAY. In this day and time it is very sad what are you teaching the kids, TO HATE is the way I see it. What when the kids grow up and go in the work place and there are all different walks of people they will come in contact with. I really think you need to rethink this. and if you are teaching the Bible way. Then you need to know this WE ARE ALL GODS CHILDREN.

• fellow human says:

Oh that Christian community, they may love God, but why do they hate God’s children, and treat them with such contempt?

• Robin says:

I didn’t see anywhere in this statement the word “hate”…that they “hate”…? Please stop fanning the flames of this sensitive subject and realize that MGCS has a right to censor any subject that would be against the scriptures. FYI, Jesus Christ is censored in public school in case you haven’t noticed. No one is constantly blasting that ad nauseum. If you don’t agree with the policy you don’t have to apply/send your kid. I am sure you can find another school, free or paid, that will gladly take your tuition and tell you what you want to hear. Thank you MGCS for NOT compromising.

• i'm floored says:

Robin, You may not realize that in public schools, there are MANY other religions there, other than Christianity, so, therefore, that is why Jesus is not taught… but therein lies YOUR problem! You don’t CARE about that, do you? As long as it serves YOU and your beliefs, this is ok with you. No cares about alienating others? Again, YOU don’t care about that, either, do you? I suggest you re-think your priorities, Robin, Jesus is a loving God, not one who alienates, discriminates and teaches intolerance to our children. Ignorance is bliss, you know!

• Tim says:

For 3,500 years, Judeo-Christianity has clearly taught that homosexual practice is contrary to the laws of God and the Word of God. This school is simply following in this great orthodox tradition of the church. What’s really weird is that some folks believe Christian teaching should be jettisoned to comply with the current platform of the Democrat Party and the Obama administration. Thank goodness the church, nor Christian schools, do not pay heed to these ungodly voices of sin. With all the blatant immorality of contemporary society, we need Christ in our lives more than ever–especially in crime-torn Wilmington. Thank the Lord for this school.

I am as straight and HETEROSEXUAL as they come, but some of you people are totally ignorant when it comes to gays. They were born gay. IT IS NOT A CHOICE. If they were created this way, why would any God condemn them? When in YOUR lifetime did someone come to you and give you a choice as to your sexual orientation?

• Robin says:

I am aware that He/Jesus isn’t allowed in there. Any other religion is but not Christianity. ALL God’s children, gay or straight, are loved and I love them too. I do practice what I “preach”. I also believe, while people are looking to jump on the good that Christian schools do, what the school tolerates is their business. I grew up in the public school system in this county…I CHOSE to send my children to a private school. I vote when the polls are open. I teach my children to love everyone as Christ does. I do not agree with or appreciate the general populus putting gay lifestyle on their finger and pushing it down my throat which is exactly what I get when something like this is reported…or when I turn on my television. I tolerate you and your opinion. Please, use some manners and do the same for me and those who agree…to disagree.

• PROUD says:

Robin, I respect your beliefs. That said, the reason you’re seeing us on tv and in other mediums is because we’re here. We exist and we are a very real part of this world and this community. In fact, more and more of us are coming out proud and not hiding from intolerable people like you. With all due respect to you, ma’am, we’re here to stay and we’re not going anywhere. We aren’t the big, bad wolf and we hurt no one. We just want to be who we are. And we will, no thanks to you. Signed, a PROUD GAY MAN.