Debate over Myrtle Grove Christian anti-gay policy heating up

Tags: , , , , , , ,

Submitted: Wed, 11/27/2013 - 4:30am
Updated: Mon, 12/02/2013 - 2:20pm

WILMINGTON, NC (WWAY) — As the debate about Myrtle Grove Christian School’s decision to ban homosexual students heats up both sides of the argument say the other needs to stop being a bully.

“Do unto others, and a value of inclusion, are the most important values,” said Chris Sgro of Equality NC. “This is absolutely not what we see that Myrtle Grove Christian Academy is doing.”

Myrtle Grove Christian School recently made headlines for its new policy restricting children who are gay or who come from same sex families.

Members of the gay community say school leaders need to stop being bullies if they want to receive public tax dollars from the opportunity scholarship that starts in 2014.

“Our taxpayer money will be going directly to that school possibly,” said Ryan Burris of Wilmington Pride. “While a religious institution should be able to choose who they want to come to their schools, as a taxpayer myself, I don’t think my money should towards funding their facilities.”

But Tami Fitzgerald of the NC Values Coalition says she supports the school’s right to set their own standards, and that members of the gay community need to do their homework on where Myrtle Grove funding comes from.

“Myrtle Grove Christian School is a private school and they don’t receive any government funding and even if they did North Carolina law, nor Federal Law, gives special rights to gay and lesbian students,” said Tami Fitzgerald of the NC Values Coalition.

Equality NC leaders say they will use their 150,000 members to put pressure on lawmakers in the Tar Heel state to change state laws.

WWAY tried to reach out to administrators at Myrtle Grove Christian School for comment but were told that we couldn’t speak with them.

• Wilmington Observer says:

From the, above, report: “Equality NC leaders say they will use their 150,000 members to put pressure on lawmakers in the Tar Heel state to change state laws”.

We have already been down that road. Do you remember Section 6 of Article XIV of the Constitution of the State of North Carolina (hint: it has something to do with one man and one woman)?

Wilmington Observer

• Kelly says:

Well if they are cleaning house of quote( all non christian behaving people) end guote, then they need to get rid all the adulters, child molesters, liars, thiefs, wife beaters. Im sure there might be a few that you dont know about that doesnt meet your christian standards. You might be running a business but first and foremost its suppose to be of christian faith not hate. Those without sin cast the first stone.

• Erlkoenig says:

Gay people of the world unite!!!!! But call each other first and coordinate what you’re wearing.

• Straight Shooter says:

“Myrtle Grove Christian School is a private school. They do not receive any government funding. And, even if they did, neither North Carolina law nor federal law give special rights to gay and lesbian students. Radical gay rights groups in our State are attempting to bully this school by forcing the school to go against their religious beliefs, which the First Amendment protects. Private schools can set their own admission criteria, and all of them do. Myrtle Grove is entitled to do the same, and the government can’t tell them which students to admit, especially when it violates their religious liberty.

“The opportunity scholarship program is not in effect now, and it will not be in effect until the school year of 2014-15. Under the program, scholarships are awarded to students and their parents, who can use the scholarship at the school that most suits their needs. The US Supreme Court has upheld opportunity scholarship programs like North Carolina’s, and we are confident that allowing students to use their scholarships to attend schools like Myrtle Grove is both lawful and appropriate. Gay rights radicals have no right to impose their views on sexuality on private school students and their parents.”

• Guest Reply Redux says:

Wait until Myrtle Grove finds out that some big businesses allow “same sex insurance coverage” for their partners…and not for an employee that wants to insure his/her live in lover.
    That’ll be a juicy story!!!

• Erlkoenig says:

Are you referring to the DNC?

• Claire Bennett says:

I am not a radical, but I am protesting this group peacefully. I am standing up for those children and families who are being told they are ‘sinning’ for being who they are. There is no sin in being true to yourself and accepting yourself and others. I hope that students get this message above the one of exclusion.

• Ryan says:

With regard to “Biblical marriage” — a favorite term from you opponents of same-sex unions — I wonder which Biblical version of marriage you really mean?

I imagine it’s the standard one-man-and-one-woman combo, but the Bible also says a woman who marries but isn’t a virgin should be stoned to death. Maybe that’s not the one you that you anti-gay folks mean after all?

Perhaps you think everyone should follow the Biblical “tradition” of a man having a wife and a few concubines; hey, it was good enough for Abraham and Jacob. No, that’s not it either? OK, then it must be the Bible’s approval of a man having several wives, a la Gideon, Esau or the man-of-700-wives, Solomon. You’re shaking your head, no?
    Let’s see, could you be talking about the Biblical prescription that a woman who hasn’t had any children when her husband dies must marry her brother-in-law and give motherhood a few more shots? No, that can’t be it.

Well, then, how about the Bible requirement that slave owners assign female slaves to their male slaves? No, that obviously won’t work.
    Maybe the anti-gay, “Biblical” crowd is getting behind the rule in Deuteronomy that says a woman must marry a man who rapes her. No? I thought not.

The point? God may have defined marriage in the Bible, but the “definition” was all over the map, so its value as an argument for enforcing a specific type of marriage today is, to be frank, nonsensical.

• guest6969696969 says:

Here’s a suggestion for all you morons out there who believe everything other morons say. Go rent a film called “The Children’s Hour.” It’s a play written in 1935 by Lillian Hellman and was put to the movie screen in 1961. It’s a ground-breaking story about lies and lesbianism. It stars Audrey Hepburn and Shirley Maclaine. It’s a story not only about how disturbed people make up lies because they’re not happy or they’re misguided, it’s about how their lies can totally ruin the lives of innocent people.

Maybe MGCS is RIGHT in what they are doing..
    research the *Trevor Project* that is here in ILM…
    Or comments such as these, Made by *Wilmington Pride* “members”,,(on Myspace,that since have been scrubbed) ..

Outstanding Youth
    A LGBTQ person who between 13-26 and has dedicated time, resources and / or money to the LGBTQ community

between 13~ 26, I think between 13 & 17 are grounds for SOLICTING A MINOR over the internet??? Ryan Burris; Is this what YOU advocate???

• Guest-o-matic says:

But Myrtle Grove doesn’t care about controlling anything other than what goes on at THEIR facility and it IS THEIR facility with THEIR policies and they can do exactly as they please. This is very simple and very basic. It has nothing to do with “hate” and it has absolutely nothing to do taking anything away from the children. Believe it or not, we still have a majority of families that try their best to raise their children with morals and with that majority homosexuality doesn’t fit in. That’s where “tolerance” gets explained and taught.

Myrtle Grove isn’t waging a campaign against homosexuals as the homosexuals tend to believe, it’s only about guiding THEIR students in a manner that goes parallel with their religion based program. No different that a Catholic school, a Jesuit school, a Muslim school, A Buddhist school or any other.

This whole gay uprising with all their pissing, moaning, name calling and “hate” accusations is no less that absurdly ridiculous. They simply do not understand the basic difference between “tolerance” and “acceptance”. That difference exists and will never go away no matter how hard they push the issue!

• Ryan Burris says:

I think I’ve logged into Myspace once in the past 5 years? Wilmington Pride has no Myspace Account. I have partnered with Trevor Project before, as far as hosting fundraisers for them, and providing their LGBT youth suicide prevention materials to local organizations and youth. I have searched for mentions above via Google and Yahoo, in reference to paragraph posted above, to no avail – oh wait you did say they were recently “scrubbed”. Trevor project does provide assistance to LGBT youth, and does have a varied age-range of volunteers as well.. If preventing a youth anywhere, from committing suicide is considered “Soliciting a minor” , then yes I am guilty as charged! Happy Thanksgiving!

• sick of it says:

This nation has clearly been divided 50/50 for the last decade plus, and the division is getting greater. It is time for a split. Libs take the West coast, oh you already have, good deal, stay there, go there, enjoy your ridiculous selves. Conservatives take the south and the Midwest, this includes NC. Northeast, who cares, take it, keep it. Deal? I’m tired of libs pushing their ways on everything, everyone. This is a private school, go away. The argument always seems to be that they pay taxes (right!) and they don’t want their taxes going to a school like that, well it doesn’t. But I don’t think I want my taxes going to public schools that promote lib values! So why do you think your values supersedes anyone else’s, because you are arrogant and out of control. Bullies, used to people cowering to you. Enough!

• Cheryll says:

When children are told they cant go to a school, everyone should be upset. Whether it is a private for public school. It used to be the color of your skin would prohibit you from certain schools. We know how wrong that was and the thought of America thinking that was OK, makes me shutter. It is not a liberal or convservative thing. It is a human rights thing.

• jim Natale says:

That is for now as you can see that it take 2/3 of the states to pass the and it becomes unconstitutional across the country. But alas as in the past it will take the national guard to change it in the south.

• Community member says:

Well I dated a parent of several students who attend MGCS. Their mother screwed around on their father , lied, cheated, and eventually divorced him. He “dated” a 19 yr old soon after to abate his loneliness, which he in turn left her high and dry and out for ridicule (he was 40). Poor girl was left devastated and he moved on as if women are nothing but there to satisfy men. His kids are completely messed up when it comes to basic social sklls and normal emotional reactions. I guarantee this parent is completely behind this homophobic BS. But he’s completely intoxicated every night of the week. Obviously I have left and run far away from such ignorance. My point is he believes this is the Christian way. He can cuss, fornicate with underage girls, beat his kids with a belt, and stay drunk every night; BUT hold the door- gay people are against the good book and should be banned. Are people really that vain and hateful? Pretty scary thought. And I hope u know who u r. U are evil and should go back to where u came from.

I agree with you. One thing that the media seems to be overlooking is the new policy in its entirety. WWAY did post it with its initial story. They don’t single out homosexuals. They mention other things as well. But, since those other things are not a hot-button issue, they are being largely ignored.

• Jim Natale says:

Again the issue is not what Myrtle Grove can teach. They can do it without any public funding(Vouchers) but, when they discriminate using Tax payer dollars it is time to step in. Further more Myrtle grove under these new rules are not tolerant nor are they accepting. somewhere you missed that passage of the bible.

• Jake says:

You go, Claire!

• Guest-o-matic says:

…anymore than homosexuality fits in within ANY religion. I’m not aware of any religion that condones and embraces this behavior, unless it some sort of rainbow-bred, new age cult that has no relevant basis other than a bunch of misfits that just can’t find their niche in society. Jim Jones led one of those with the weak-minded he intentionally recruited that couldn’t muster up the motivation to manage themselves without total control, remember?

“Tolerance” and “understanding” are implicitly described and encouraged in the Bible. However the “acceptance” of behaviors that are in direct conflict with teachings of the Bible clearly are not. There is a huge difference between the two and is the primary point that seems to be ignored by all of you. Just go do your own thing and leave Myrtle Grove alone. They don’t want anything to do with you, as is the opinion of a vast majority of others. You just can’t beat down facts and must face reality.

Seems quite obvious to me that you, my friend are the one that could use some major Bible study time!

• Erlkoenig says:

I am with you.

• Erlkoenig says:

Do any of you libs have a problem with state indoctrinators sending home “your kid is fat” letters? Or the way parents are treated like suspects when they walk into Trask?

The Christians have mostly given up fighting against the state sanctioned religion of global warming and evolution. So return the favor.

• Jim Natale says:

First of all why do you stand behind a mask? You posted a comment as a guest. What do you have to hide? Secondly, you need to research the Trevor Project and what it stands for and does. Young GLBT people between the ages of 13 and 26 are more prevalent to commit suicide because of people like yourself bulling, hounded of hate because of there sexuality, parents disowning them and Christians telling them they are not worthy of anything. The Trevor Project raises awareness that no matter what a Young youth is going through right now that every gay, lesbian and bisexual went through it and we survived but not with out some wounds. Now what does the so called Christian people do to help prevent this problem? Now, the issue at hand is not about the Trevor Project it is about a Private school taking public funds and saying they are a private club(discriminating). Yes Myrtle Grove is a private school, and yes they can make there own rules until they start taking public money.

• SnarkmeisterGeneral says:

Hey Erl! You say you are with “sick of it”… Does this mean that you are leaving together???

• stephen zandy says:

I agree completely. I am a CHRISTIAN and I am GAY.

I live by the NEW TESTAMENT. I have not ever read anything there that preaches hate. All I have read has to do with is love and helping people.

I think this school will be able to accept vouchers from the state. THAT IS TAX MONEY THAT I HAVE PAID IN.

I don’t agree with taking money from the public schools to send kids to charter or private schools.

If parents that are always bitching about the public schools would get off their butts and get involved helping instead of worrying about pee wee football and little league baseball and make sure their children are learning instead expecting the teachers to do it all things would be a lot better.

Less cell phones and more reading would go along ways to helping children in schools.

My question is who’s the adult and who’s the child???? I would have never talked to my Mother the way some children I hear in public do.

Growing up it was not democracy, it was a dictatorship and I did just fine. I graduated from high school with B average, jr college graduated with honors and received my BA from Carolina.

I’m GAY and proud of it. It was not a choice, I knew from small child that I was different. God made me this way.

We are going to win this war. Possibly it will take like it did in the original civil right movement for the bigots to die off from old age, but it is going to happen.

• Erlkoenig says:

Hey Snark, reread the post. We don’t have to leave. And the entire LBGFQTP crowd with all their communist buddies get Californostan.

• Guest-o-matic says:

…being homosexual. This decision by Myrtle Grove has nothing to do with “human rights”, it is simply THEIR “right” as the own the school and run it the way they want to.

With your silly and childish points here, I suppose you think you have the “right” to eat pork chops while you attend a Muslim mosque. I encourage you to try that.

• Guest-o-matic says:

What “war” is it that you want to win? Do you want the entire world to turn gay? Then, there would be nobody to have children, you folk can’t pro-create, remember? A minor lesson in basic physiology for you here: A woman has to ovulate to produce an egg, a man has to fertilize that egg. There’s just no other way about it. Physiology lesson number two: Yes, God created you and made you the way you are. He also created John Wayne Gacy, Henry Lee Lucas and Jeffery Dahmer. They were gay too.

• CoastalJade says:

Wish there was a ‘like’ button.
    Way to go!

• Theresa says:

Now and always.

And whether you believe in Him or not, He loves you anyway :)

• Beach Bum says:

You left out the part of where there are over 8 million different species on Planet Earth.

so 1500 out of 8 million is what? Less that less of a percent?

And the rest of us have it wrong?

Please.

• Beach Bum says:

If that is truly how you feel, what do you gay people think you are missing out on but not being allowed into a school that does not embrace or support your chosen way of life?

• Drake N. says:

Beach Bum and Lisa,

Your ignorance is deplorable.

Homosexuality is just as normal as heterosexuality. Did you two “choose” to be heterosexual? No, of course not.

Sexual orientation is NOT a choice. I repeat, NOT a choice.

Sexual orientation is determined by genetics. That’s why very young children KNOW they are attracted emotionally and romantically to members of their same sex.

This will not change your minds, Beach Bum and Lisa, because you like the Myrtle Grove haters are too willfully ignorant and hateful to try to understand why people are gay.

I detest your evil opinions, and I condemn Myrtle Grove Presbyterian School, and I will do all I can to overturn their nefarious policy of excluding gay children from their school.

You Myrtle Grove “Christians” are downright evil.

• sick of it says:

Homosexuality is a choice, no one is born gay, no more so than someone is born a pedophile, both perversions are a choice. This has been a known fact for thousands of years, and suddenly in the past few decades, arrogant fools like yourself have worked vigorously to intimidate people to speak otherwise. Very few people actually believe homosexuality is natural, but few are courageous enough to stand against your name calling and intimidation. I’m sick of it.

• SnarkmeisterGeneral says:

Hey “sick”…. I appreciate that you reminded me that I have something more to be thankful for on this holiday. I am thankful for the emergence of common sense and understanding that being gay is a state of being that is inborn, not learned. Most fortunately, “religious” leaders no longer have the power to burn gay people and heretics for that matter at least here in America.

• Guest-o-matic says:

Homosexuality is not “normal”. A peg and a peg doesn’t work, a hole and a hole doesn’t work. You simply cannot pro-create. You are a very low percentile of the population, yet desire to be more, but only in wishes and dreams. You are what you are and the remainder simply tolerate that, partially in pity and partially due to force. It is “tolerance” only, never to be confused with the “acceptance” you desire so badly.

You will never change the minds of people that are born with natural chromosomes that invite and perform the birth of children. The sort of procreation that allows us all to exist as we are and to continue on. Without those that “can”, humanity will come to a end. You are an end to yourselves.

You are only another lost soul without a purpose other than your own personal satisfaction for the time being. You deny your purpose any credibility by accusing others of hate, ignorance and evil. No different than the blacks that invariably pull the race card as an excuse for their particular position in society rather than simply taking responsibility, getting off their @$$es, getting a job and teaching their children to break the cycle of poverty.

Once again, “understanding” homosexuality is a basic component of “tolerance” and we seem to have that, but that has absolutely nothing to do with “acceptance” of your behavior or your lifestyle.

• Beach Bum says:

Since your chosen perversion is not a learned behavior or conscious choice, show the entire free world its first gay baby please….

And I cast my vote in opposition to yours.

• Jenn says:

When did you choose to be heterosexual? Over 1500 animal species exhibit homosexuality. How is that unnatural or a choice?

• Guestomfg says:

Since your chosen religion is a learned behavior from years of brainwashing by your parents, show the entire free world its first Christian baby please.

• NC Democrat says:

The entire point of the story is that they are probably ABOUT TO START ACCEPTING GOVERNMENT MONEY in the form of tax payer funded vouchers, which begin in the 2014-2015 school year.

Of course as a private school, they should be able to do what they want to do. However — if you listen to the news story — many people disagree that tax payer money will be funding the school even though they are going to discriminate and pick and choose who they want to take based on their sexual orientation. If they want to discriminate in admissions they should remain truly private and not take the tax payers money.

• Buster's Mom says:

They are a private school and they take no government money. They should be able to do as they see fit. They are a religious school and should be free to practice their religion as they see fit.

• Erlkoenig says:

Then move to Californistan where your kid can learn to cross dress and get a gender reassignment surgery paid for by others. This school has the freedom to practice its religion. Get over it.

• private says:

Interesting post. I am more concerned about life after physical death than the global life here which is very short. Gay lifestyle is wrong and God is not pleased with it just as he is not pleased with the many many many sinful other life choices we make. The Christian community has to take a stand and stop standing in the corner. I support the life after this one opposed to accepting man’s appointed life style here on this earth. I fully support Myrtle Grove and I am not now nor ever have been associated with Myrtle Grove Church or their school in anyway.

• Teacher says:

The future of North Carolina schools – public, private, charter- is becoming bleaker and bleaker by the day. I really love NC, the hospitality, and the coast, but my I cannot consciously allow my son to be educated in such a narrow minded, hateful, under-valued, disrespectful system. I have taught over 20 years and have every degree and accredition available ( on my own dime btw) and work harder than most to be sure my 125 students every year feel safe, secure, feel confident, and learn to their best ability. Now I have to think about what quality education my own child will receive after all the greAt teachers leave this mess. What will be left??? You have no idea what the repercussions will be on your own children and grandchildren. It is essential that we continue to band together and have these policies repealed. Otherwise NC might as well be its own entity living with 1900s mentalities. I know my son deserves more to be prepared for our GLOBAL WORLD. How about your kids?

• theo says:

Here in the United States of The Offended it seems we are all expected to goose-step to other people’s directives and requirements. I still think the double-standard should be eliminated.

Men can be denied access to anywhere, but women cannot.
    Heterosexuals can be denied access to anywhere, but homosexuals cannot.
    Whites can be denied access, but blacks cannot.

Why have we lost the liberty to choose who we want as customers/patrons/students? And don’t give me that “government money” hollow argument. There are plenty of women’s colleges getting federal funding and still exclude men, but no men’s college is allowed the same equality. Black colleges actively deny enrollment to white applicants based on “diversity standards.” It’s called discrimination.

Regarding the article, how come none of the “protesters for money” even tried to attend the school? It’s because it’s all about the protest and not about the cause.

Would the last clear-headed American leaving the country please bring the Constitution and the flag. Hopefully you won’t be assaulted in that attempt.

• guest9873218 says:

OK- so what about their students that are sexually active and not married?.. what about the children that come from households of unmarried parents? Or lets take it a step further… single parents that are currently sexually active. Children that come from a household where a parent is in prison for breaking the laws of the land…. etc, etc. This list could go on and on, if they are basing this exclusion, on the sins of the children or the sins of their parents.

I am a married Christian woman… but this still bothers me. I agree they should not receive funds from tax money. If they are not open to all tax paying people.. then they should only be able to set these types of stipulations, when they are using 100% of their own money.

• beach guy says:

Are vouchers paid to the school or to the parent paying for the school?
    If the parent is paying for then getting a tax break on the expense of private school they should be able to choose which school they want their kids to attend. The reason for the vouchers are that is saves public schools the funds of educating the child of the person that chooses to send their kid to a private VS a public school.
    Please correct me if I am wrong. Hell, I pay taxes everyday and I do not have kids so I am getting the shaft all the way around.

• Jon23 says:

Why not talk about the other 8 christian schools in the Wilmington area? WWAY, if you want to be a real news organization than investigate what their policy is on the GAY life style. It goes to show that this is the way the liberal media works. Devide and conquer! Attack one CHURCH at a time!

• Scott Pickey says:

Jon23 – I invite you to show us ONE story or example where we attacked this school.

Comments left under the story by viewers / users don’t count.

sp

Scott Pickey
    WWAY News Director

• C B Lewis says:

I guess all of the Christian school in this area dose not have any rules as to what students they will accept in their school.I would like to know all of the Christian Schools rules not just Myrtle Grove. WWAY you need to be fair and let all of us know about the Christian Schools.

• NC Democrat says:

Mr “Ametican, ” you say that your “tax money directly supports federally funded art that” your “find morally and religiously” revolting. I find this schools policy to be morally and religiously revolting. However, you’re not banned from the art mesueum, while I would be banned from the school. In other words, I will always disagree with the morally despicable values of this church and school ( which are especially offensive because they, in their cafeteria Christian view pick and choose whatever they like from the bible to suit their prejudices) — however despite that I am not saying they should not be allowed to recieve the tax payer dollars — I am just saying they should not take those dollars and then exclude people based on their sexual orientation (or any other characteristic like race or religion). It’s fine if you disagree with the art, but I don’t think we should ban you from the meseum.

• American says:

My tax money directly supports federally funded art that I find morally and religiously revolting, medical procedures that end the life of unwanted babies, again, that I find morally and religiously unacceptable. Courses of study in our public universities that directly contradict the foundations and principals our country stands for in the world, the list goes on. I do not support any of these from a moral and religious basis but I have no recourse except for my single voice in a vote. Whether or not this private religious school may or may not receive tax monies indirectly from an approved program seems like par for the course except for it may step on the toes of some people who do not like a line item of this schools admission policy. I say quit your crying and mind your toes because mine have been stepped on for a long time. It is merely a little thing called rights that this school can create this policy. You may try being tolerate and accepting of their beliefs, you know, like I have had to do everyday of my life. Something about a goose and a gander comes to mind.Have a good day everyone.

• I Care Why says:

Myrtle Grove school you have my support, because you are a PRIVATE school you can make any rule you want. As far as the welfare riding obaminites protesting the PRIVATE christian school rules why don’t you go protest for higher taxes so you can give yourselves a raise. Or even better yet start your own private school just for gays and lesbians wait that won’t work because its against Gods rules.

• Guestomfg says:

“gods rules”? No. Man wrote the buybull.

• Guy says:

The only ones this Crap is hurting is the kids, The school is private and there fore the state needs to back off, Its bad enough that this gay crap is forced on us regular people but to force this crap on the kids is wrong in any form!

If their policy is to exclude any segment of the population that pays taxes, they certainly should receive no public funds. I don’t know if this type facility enjoys a tax-exempt status, but if so, that should also be done away with. For the record, I am NOT gay, just fair.

Read the First Amendment to the Constitution. It’s called freedom of religion.

• kingstonman says:

Why do Gays try to force their way of life on others when they don’t want others forcing their way of life on them? In my opinion if Myrtle Grove Christian School is a totally private school receiving no government funding then they have a right to set their own rules. So you that are hollering the school is not doing the right thing look at yourself in the mirror and ask are you? You are doing the very thing you don’t want Myrtle Grove Christian School to do by pushing your way of life on them whereas you say they can’t push their way of life on you! I am not a member of that church nor are any of my kids in their school and don’t think if I had any in school now that I would have them going there as ours received public school educations. But my wife and I taught our kids what the Bible teaches as did our church. Yes, like most young people ours tested the ways of life as did I but our religious convictions returned as our minds matured into adulthood. So you that are wanting your way of life pushed on Myrtle Grove Christian School stop complaining as your way will eventually cross these young folks minds and they will then make their own decisions. All parents reserve that right of what their children are taught in their growing up years.

• wwwww says:

This is dead news and doesn’t need to be a filler on a news network. This is a private school just like a private company and the owners can set the rules any way they want to. If people don’t like it they don’t have to do business with them.

Right or Wrong it is their business no run how they see fit.

• Ron Gore says:

Myrtle Grove deliberately selected gay children to exclude from their school. They did this with full knowledge that gay children are most often the most bullied of all school children and the most likely to suffer depression and to commit suicide.

The congregation of Myrtle Grove Church and the Administration and Faculty of Myrtle Grove Christian Academy have knowingly inflicted pain and insult on a vulnerable minority.

Myrtle Grove is reveling in its successful (so-far) attempt at demonizing gay children and adults as outcasts. This is an evil action and it cannot be tolerated by civilized, moral people.

Myrtle Grove must be condemned vociferously without letup.

Presbyterians are often referred to as the “Chosen Frozen.” Myrtle Grove “Christians” (what a misnomer) are frozen all right–they’re frozen in hatred.

Matthew 25:40 “And the King shall answer and say unto them, Verily I say unto you, Inasmuch as ye have done it unto one of the least of these my brethren, ye have done it unto me.”

Myrtle Grove, evidently unfamiliar with this verse, should take a few days off to meditate in a contemplative manner the harm they have inflicted with their hateful exclusionary policy.

Only after deep meditative thought will they be capable of seeing the errors of their way.

• Beach Bum says:

If you find Myrtle Grove schools decision deplorable, then that is your problem.

You see, you can’t pick and choose what perversion you support. You have to support all perverts and their choice of perversion, i.e. pedophiles. You must embrace child rapist as your brother, otherwise, that would not be Christian like of you. Another example that comes to mind is perverts engaged in beastiality. You must embrace those who pump your dog or cat as if you were hugging your mother. What about polygamy? You must stand by those who choose to have more than one wife or husband as they were a member of your family.

Just as you morons tell Christians they can not cherry pick what teachings to follow from God, neither can ya’ll.

• Lisa says:

Can you explain Leviticus 18:22 and 20:13 to me

• Lars Nielssen says:

Beach Bum, please stay away from my animals.

• Teacher says:

Believe me I am trying hard to leave this messed up state ASAP. Hope you Enjoy the simple minded people stupid enough to stay. I’m sure your offspring will do so much to better our world. And I’m sure you’ll be so proud when they have to drop out of school because they didn’t have quality teachers to enable them to be successful. What a future for the state of NC. Raise that confederate flag proudly under your religious veil. You prove that Stereotypes do exist.

• NC Democrat says:

Exactly. Which means the government has no business funding religion with tax dollars collected from people who disagree with their false Christian beliefs. Also read down the page to the 14th amendment which guarantees everyone equal protection under the law. Fine if they want to be bigots, but not with my tax dollars.

• Erlkoenig says:

NC Commucrat, there is nothing in the Constitution forbidding tax payer money going to religious institutions. Its often misinterpretation by libs who think they are experts cause they watch Madcow.