FIRST ON 3: Brian Berger bonds out of jail after DWI arrest

Tags: , , , , , , , ,

Submitted: Sat, 12/07/2013 - 12:45am
Updated: Sat, 12/07/2013 - 12:15pm

WILMINGTON, NC (WWAY) — New Hanover County Commissioner Brian Berger bonded out of jail around 7:30 p.m. Friday after being arrested overnight for DWI and drug possession.

A judge Friday afternoon denied a request by prosecutors to increase Berger’s bond from $5,000 to $15,000. Berger’s attorney Buddy Allard said he spoke to Berger’s family Friday. They said they would not post his bond.

A New Hanover County Sheriff’s Office spokesman said Friday morning, Berger said he would post bond, but no one came to get him before 1 p.m. At that point, Berger had to stay to make his first court appearance by video from jail at 2 p.m.

WPD spokeswoman Linda Rawley said police got a call about a car stopped in the middle of the 3500 block of Masonboro Loop Road at 12:47 a.m.

“I was pulling into my neighborhood, and there is a car in the middle of the intersection. They’re parked. And it looks like somebody’s head is on the steering wheel, and they’re not responsive,” a female caller told a New Hanover County dispatcher.

The caller said the car was directly across from Parsley Elementary School. She said she was parked in the intersection with her hazard lights on to try to keep someone from hitting the vehicle.

“I tried honking on the horn and knocking on the door, but nobody is communicating with me, and I’m not trying to pry and look inside the car, but I’m not sure exactly what is going on,” the caller said.

The caller said it was a four-door black car with New York plates. Dispatch notes show it is a rental car.

“The way the car is parked, it looks like they were making a left-hand turn,” the caller told the dispatcher. “But, there’s no blinker on or anything, but they’re in the direction of incoming traffic.”

When the fire department and police arrived, they said they found Berger unconscious and slumped over the steering wheel. Rawley said officers also found several different pills with him.

According to dispatch notes, EMS reported Berger was out of the vehicle seven minutes after the initial call, awake and talking.

Berger is charged with DWI, impeding traffic and possession of schedule II drugs. Investigators said the pills they found were all prescription.

Berger is scheduled to be back in court Dec. 19 on the drug charge. His next court date on the DWI charge is set for Feb. 20.

This is the second time Berger has been arrested for DWI in less than a year. WPD arrested him on Dec. 18, 2012, for the same crime. Berger is due back in court Tuesday on that charge. The case has been delayed, in part, to allow the arresting officer, who now lives in New Jersey, to testify, District Attorney Ben David has said.

We reached out several times Friday to all of Berger’s fellow commissioners. None of them has returned our calls for comment.

You, the same one that couldn’t find the answer that was directly on the screen is asking me if I can read? Here ya go big guy: “FIRST ON 3: Brian Berger bonds out of jail after DWI arrest
    Submitted by WWAY on Fri, 12/06/2013 – 7:45pm.”

I have posted many times blasting those that either didn’t vote or voted for our reelected city council members. I have also posted that I did not vote for them but for others.

Cute one Tom, now back to your corner.

• Susan miller says:

Are you kidding me…this guy is still a New Hanover County Commissioner. He should have been fired/released of his duties long ago for just being arrested the first time. he’s a joke to the county & a hazard to the county on the board & on the streets.
    Get rid of him.

• spinster says:

So he has multiple problems and frequently shows the worst judgement. What else is new? Sorry Brian. “If you dance to the music, you have to pay the piper.”

• Sean says:

It’s like we have our very own Rob Ford. He just needs to smoke some crack and hire some prostitutes. We’ve become so metropolitan!!

• JF N Mamma says:

Prior to rolling out into the middle of the street, Berger was parked on the side road of the neighborhood across from elementary school. At some point he pulled over there to rest / sober up. In his intoxicated stupor, dude managed to roll out into the main road and came to a rest in the middle of M Loop Road. Witnessed 20 minutes prior to 911 call.

Looks like some of that Surf City sand has gotten up in your crack and made you grumpy. You posted at: “Where
    Submitted by SurfCityTom on Mon, 12/09/2013 – 8:08am.
    does it state he was bailed out?” and then you post: “It very clearly shows a time line of 7:45 PM on the 6th as to when he bonded out.”

When I look at my calendar, 12-9 comes after 12-6.

You say you updated your post but you were not smart enough to remove inaccurate information? And you say I’m the one with trouble?

• OhMy says:

I wish I would not of read the comments and can only hope some were just sarcasum. My family and I live off of the loop road and I would appreciate this multiple offender not being able to drive anywhere near my home. As for the politics really folks do we want this person representing or town.

• Gramps1945 says:

Another outrageous stunt by Berger.
    And the World yawns………

• Stone Tyler says:

New Hanover Co. deserves this man. He reflects everything I’ve come to know about people in these parts. He drives the same, too. No turn signal.

• SurfCityTom says:

during Woody White’s failed amotion attempt?

More importantly, will you be at the polls for the next election?

Absent an otherwise disinterested and apathetic voter base turning out in force in 2014, Mr. Berger may well gain re-election.

• John says:

Someone can get the help they need, when and if they want it… all they have to do is go to the telephone book, towards the front and its right there in the “A” section. Alcoholics Anonymous.
    I hope Brian will find it, regardless of all other concerns.

• Susan Miles says:

Resign???? REALLY? You’ve got to be frickin’ kidding me. HE SHOULD BE TERMINATED FOR GOOD THIS TIME! I honestly don’t know how he managed to get back on the board last time!

• Ed Jones says:

Yes, Brian should resign his commissioner seat and permit the commission to appoint a replacement who will serve the county responsibly. He obviously needs help, but we need an elected official who can and will perform responsibly, and Brian has amply demonstrated, repeatedly, that he is not the man for the job!

• guest7969 says:

Has two interstates called I95 N and I40 W…pack up and take one!

• guest22 says:

Mr Berger is a scholar and a gentleman. If needed, we need to start a fund drive to get him out by Christmas.

• Juiwanna says:

Resign?
    ABSOLUTELY NOT!
    He should be fired, period.
    He has had MORE excuses and he always acts like a little BULLY.
    Frustrating!

• 1234543 says:

food for thought, there is no doubt Berger walks to the tune of a strange duck, but could he be truly that far out in left field to be passed out in an intersection, he has obviously created some strong enemies in his circle of politics, and he keeps overcoming, so let’s back up a little, wouldn’t it be ironic if he was slipped a little something into his drink or food and it overcame him, I have to think it’s just time for him to be retired, but what if the lone wolf was being targeted because he stood up and opposed wasting taxpayers dollars, is this possible in today’s time?

• guest111 says:

Someone had to help him. He didn’t just walk out of jail.

• guest111 says:

Who was the idiot that bailed him out to turn him loose on society again?

• William Jefferson says:

You have been watching too many Seinfeld episodes. Slipped something into his drink. That’s a good one! Sarcasm, eh.

• craig says:

Sir ( it was how I was raised) My son whom I love is an addict. He is 2 years clean and sober and I am most proud. Go to AA. It works. Go where ever you need to go but just go. You sir need help. Take care. I close all my emails with take care. It was the way I was taught.

• lonetraveler says:

Charged with possession of Schedule II drugs and then the reports goes on to state that all the pills were prescription.

Of course the pills are prescription…….but whose prescription? LOL. I’m assuming here that since he was charged with possession, the prescription wasn’t his.

He is a joke and a disgrace and I’m sick and tired of seeing his face and name pop up like an unwanted pimple. For God’s sake, put this man out of our misery.

• SurfCityTom says:

does it state he was bailed out?

Hid family chose not to.

Unless it was an unsecured bond, I’ve seen no indication someone posted bond.

Update; another media source reports bail was posted on Friday evening around 7:45PM.

• GuestReality says:

Better stay off the highways while he’s out loose (don’t worry, it shouldn’t be too long)…

• GuestBurger says:

This just gets better and better! What’s next?!?!

Berger hasn’t stood up for anything. He rolls over with all of them. I’ve looked at voting records and I didn’t once see him dissenting from the majority.

Brian is just a very disturbed person with a drinking and maybe pill problem. Two DWI’s in one year? That’s crazy.

Brian, go take care of yourself. Move somewhere, get a job that will let you make rent, any job, start a business, eventually, and start your whole life over. There’s more to life than being a (roll over) County Commissioner.

Go and find it.

The large text at the top of the story states: “FIRST ON 3: Brian Berger bonds out of jail after DWI arrest”

Any other questions?

• Mack says:

Yep! Happened again. Brian is a “troubled” man.
    I sorta like Berger. He’s like an old Timex: Takes a Lickin’ and Keeps on Tickin” over-and-over. But, CRAP, BRIAN…!!! Aren’t YOU tired of this manure piling up in your life that yoyu seem to fall over in, face-first? Heck, Dude! DUMP YOUR SHRINK and have a chat with the Duck Dynasty Dudes, and you’ll have a new lease on life! Though a little late for much “damage control” efforts NOW.

WHO was he with right before he drove? Obviously they don’t give a crap for him, or he would not have been allowed to leave in that condition. TRUE ‘FRIEND’ for sure.

If the drugs were HIS… he should have had them in his prescription bottle. GOD KNOWS HE DOES NEED A LOT OF PRESCRIPTION MEDS. Too bad any he has been on aren’t worth crap, either. In fact, most everything in his life isn’t WORTH CRAP. HE doesn’t seem to be WORTH CRAP.

Honestly, I hope he escapes any felony conviction. He really does not deserve that. One more issue, and if I were HIM — I’d swallow a bullet.

I’m am sure he will lose his driver’s license. But I hope they will allow him to drive straight to and from his psychiatrist office. Hell, he NEEDS that option more than eating food. Just sayin’ suppose.

I just hate to maybe see him on a moped, trying to get to Commissioner’s meetings now. “Woody, I was LATE this time, because of the TRAFFIC!” Ole Woody, who loves to demean people anywho — will have an ‘erectory episode’ over this latest fiasco. Don’t suppose Woody will, ‘out of the goodness of his little pea-pickin-heart’ will represent Brian in court? Woody could do an arrogantly bad job, which is easy, and poor ole Brian would LOSE as Woody Woodpecker skips out of the courtroom with a S.E. Smile on his face! Ya know Woody, he sheds no tears when Brian trips up.

Brian really needs to start his own TV reality show, sort of like “Celebrity Rehab” but call it “Losers & Boozers” or Nutts & Guts” — or maybe “Psychiatric Failure Camp” where mentally ill folks gather to brag about their medication non-compliance and how misunderstood they are by their psychiatrist(not to mention the rest of the world!). If they boasted about their “achievements, that segment would only take a few minutes of an hour program, as I suspect most of ther time would be spent on blaming others for their dilemmas.

But, in all sincerity, I do hate this for Brian. Underneath that THICK head of pathology, likely lies a caring heart and good intentions, who would rather get attention for what GOOD he can facilitate — than what bad he seems to instinctively instigate upon himself. I really feel empathy for Brian. He can’t seem to catch a break. It would be tragic to have undergone all this mess to somewhat evade the amotion to remove him — and turn around and fall in the trap that would make his removal a matter of law, without the remaining Commissioners lifting a finger. Well, they’d probably life a THUMB in agreement, or High-Five until their palms are raw. Woody would.

This all proves one thing to me: Brain should have FIRED his psychiatrist / psychologist long ago. That professional relationship isn’t worth a malted milkshake at a Dairy Queen. They have utterly FAILED at helping Brian behave like a normal humman being. FAILED, FLUNKED. I hold them nearly as responsible for his errs, than I blame Brian. If a person is unstable, it is the professional obligation of the professional in whom he relies, to use their brain and training to KNOW their patient, and provide the resources and support necessary, for their betterment in optimal treatment. That’s called “Best Practices” and if Brian was too much of a pain in the butt for them to manage properly, it is a responsibility to hand him over to someone who may be more inclined to better care for his mindful needs. That may be a stay in the Oaks, or at least closer monitoring.

BRIAN is the POSTER BOY for MENTAL HEALTH. As any local NAMI member will attest, dealing with those who live with mental health issues is horribly challenging. For the patient, but any family, even friends and those who might have to interact with them. GETTING BETTER takes a lot of time, patience, and the professional they rely on has to have the capacity to care beyond the call of duty. I don’t think Brian really had the caliber of support HIS CONDITION demanded.

So… what happens? Relapses that just compound a profound problem.

So, instead of local law treating Brian as a mental patient, knowing his behavior is a direct manifestation of his psychiatric pathology — he will be treated like a CRIMINAL. How is THAT really going to help. In fact, in this county — IF THE POLICE RESPONDED TO BRIAN at 100-miles per hour around a curve — and plastered their cortex into the bark of a tree … Brian would also be charged with manslaughter. So, guess it could have been worse.

Brian needs some Rehab or in-patient treatment to stabilize him. Maybe the court will acknowledge that and make it happen. We all need a “RESET BUTTON” from time to time. Folks like Brian usually need some assistance in achieving that awareness and reaching that Button to press. For whatever good “Divine Intervention” can be, I will pray for Brian, as I hope you will. And, pray, too, for his mental health pros, that they get their heads out of their butt — or refer Brian to someone who CAN Make the Difference which is essential to Brian having any functional life, peace — and safety.

And, maybe pray for the prosecutors, that they will allow themselves to be guided by INSIGHT rather than a reflexive INDIGNATION.

THANKS for reading my OpEd.

Namasté

• compassionate citizen says:

This is an example of where our health/mental system is failing. Where is the compassion for a person who so clearly needs some help. Do we wait for a mass shooting to analyze with 20/20 hindsight?
    The system is a failure, one cannot force an adult to get help unless they are a danger to themselves or others. Driving under the influence and falling asleep in an intersection is clear danger to himself and to others. Let’s be compassionate. Brian should; however resign from the commissioner’s seat and devote attention to healing.

• North Carolina Native says:

I hope Stone stays and you leave Guest7969. Using a turn signal is a novel idea in the most dangerous city in NC to drive in. It’s people like him who could possibly make a difference in my auto insurance rates. I’d like to see thugs, law breakers, drug addicts, self serving politicians and narcissists like yourself leave and take up residence outside the USA. Please leave.

• DISAPPOINTED says:

What Idiot bailed Mister Berger out of jail? When he gets his 3rd DWI and hurts someone I hope the person who bailed him out is charged as an accessory!!!!! He needs people to quit enabling him. Whoever you are that bailed him out you are not doing him any favors. His own family wouldnt post bail and they love him and are his biggest fans. They know its time for tough love. Good job helping make the problem continue.

• guest111 says:

Ok you two. These posts are for fun and to let your opinion be known. There’s no need to take this personally. Be nice guys. Play pretty! Santa’s watching.

• SurfCityTom says:

do you know how to read?

My post was written prior to that time, when he had not bailed out. And was updated when he did finally bond out.

of all the items one could cover on this topic, you sure show no imagination. Yet another attempt to put me in the corner which failed.

Where will you be when he runs for re-election? will you even show up at the polls? It’s apathetic voters who allow travesties to gain public office.

• RSmith says:

Once he was sober he could be bonded out by a bailsman without further supervision.

• Wesley says:

He should resign. This is a disgrace and a very bad example of a so called leader to our young people. He was irresponsible plain and simple. Some will come here and say; awww he made a simple mistake..that’s bulls*it. He knew what he was doing when he got behind the wheel. Yes FIRE his ass! It’s deplorable to see politicians getting away with anything. They are working for US not the other way around. He needs to resign and go into rehab at HIS expense not mine.
    To the prier woman poster who said “he’s cute I’d date him” PATHETIC!

• Guest with SENSE says:

THIS is your outlook on drunk driving? It’s “okay” because there isn’t much traffic at 1:00am??
    A “health” issue, eh? Will you give us your email to let all the addicts/alcoholics in town write to you when they need an enabler? You’d fit the bill perfectly!

• Concerned Citizen says:

What if he had killed someone or caused someone else to wreck and kill other people due to his IMPAIRED DRIVING? Being passed out behind the wheel of his vehicle meant that he drove the vehicle while being VERY impaired. This man is a danger to society and has no business being behind the wheel of a vehicle OR in politics!

• nc tax payer says:

• Guest-of-the-day says:

is on Masonboro Loop Rd. at ~1AM? Maybe he was having a health issue! How about a little compassion here instead of this constant attempt to vilify this guy.

• ERIN says:

Ok, are you an idiot? This guy has been arrested twice for DWI in a year. He has had restraining orders against him from a previous relationship. He has used tax payer money to stay on the County Commissioners. He is a sick man that needs help, I give you that, but his failure to learn from previous mistakes makes him dangerous. He has a very borderline personality where he is unable to see his wrongs and thinks of no one but his self, this is obvious. Now tell me why we should be compassionate he is not so compassionate towards us.He continues to cost taxpayers money and puts citizens lives at risk by driving while impaired. Please open your eyes guest of the day.

• Cathie24 says:

Seriously!!?? Do you not understand the meaning of DWI or at least unconscious? Doesn’t matter what road (or time) he was on, he was in danger himself and endangered others as people drive at speeds of 45/55mph on that road at any hour. Get hit or be hit at that speed and see what happens. Medical issues would have been brought to light during the last 2 years of publicity. The police do their job in defending all people from being injured, it’s their job.

• Beck says:

I agree. I don’t live in NHC but am aware of the ongoing saga that has been playing out. I use to feel Mr. Berger was being “picked on” for his discretions. But at this point he needs major intervention…. Medical, mental, etc. It’s just a matter of time before he hurts himself or most probably someone else. Enough is Enough.

• don wrong says:

I can forgive one or two mistakes but this has now crossed a line that now effects my community at large. This guy has not learned his lesson and it is now up to the our legal system to prosecute him to the full extent. I use to feel sorry, a little, for this pathetic guy but no longer, now he is a safety issue that must be address and hopefully a conviction with get him off our Board and teach him a lesson he refuses to learn from his past run-ins with the law. Enough is Enough.

• wesley says:

With all due respect…this is NOT a mistake. Call it what it is, He thinks he is above the law and therefore can pop pills, drink or whatever. It was NO mistake when he turned that damn key in the ignition! Two times in a year??? He needs to get the hell off my taxes and get AA at HIS expense. No mistake. Call it for what it is, he is a damn druggie…

• Cathie24 says:

To what story? DWI is DWI it looked straight forward to me, simple English and to the point with no elaborations. He makes his own drama and news. Looks like to thrives on it.
    Sooner or later he will kill someone. Get the blinders off, he is not a “fine” example of anything. He’s a danger to himself and others. I wouldn’t want my kids using him for a roll model, thank you!!!!

• Mr. Wilmington says:

There has got to be much more to the story. Smells and looks like a set up or retaliation.. WPD verbiage in their statement basically convicts this fine example of Wilmington government.

• don wrong says:

You’re an idiot, that I’m sure of.

• GuestMan. says:

Actually, this guy was the pride of the tea-baggers. I don’t think any of us socialist, communist, wealth redistributin’ democrats voted for him. Not much common sense in your statement.

• Common Sense says:

The same idiots that voted the Wilmington City Council back in will probably vote this idiot back in.

• Altonparker says:

I said it before and I’ll say it again, this man has to go!!!!!! He has to hit his bottom, I mean, rock bottom, and we must help him get there before he hurts himself or someone else(me). Been there, done that, and I know he needs help but he has to learn to help himself.

• SurfCityTom says:

in a new aura of fellowship, he is represented by Woody White.

A motion will be filed to change the bail to an unsecured basis.

Barfield leads crowds outside the jail chanting “Free Brian” and holding appropriate banners.

In 2014, Brian will run successfully for re-
    election thanks to voter memories and apathy.

At least an afternoon court appearance ensures he’ll get breakfast and lunch.

Google the term sarcasm.

• Old man says:

Bet you’re a closet oBUMa supporter, too.

• Burgerboy says:

As a long time Burger supporter I ask that you people have empathey for our beloved Burger, he has the autism and he likes to have a little tipple now and then and likes them wild women, and there’s nothing wrong with that, he didn’t hurt anybody and he was just relaxin and partyin and who here amongst us has not done that? Even drunk and autistic he’s a better politician than that old woody white, and i’d love to go out drinkin with him one day, and hope that he get’s elected to governor of wilmingotn one day! three cheers for big baby burger, him’s my kind of folk’s!

• Angela M says:

you too defiantly deserve each other…and can I also recommend if your gonna post love for someone you should at least spell his name right.. You know since your such a big supporter. The only place this guy needs to be is rehab. You might need to join in..

• BeachBum194 says:

So its true Burgerboy..You are the orig. Ive had several people claim you are a close friend, family or the man himself defending yourself. Get some help
    ( Some of us have gone back on old posts and your story changes of how you know him )

I wonder if Bri-bri will try to claim he was profiled or were the police stopping everybody that was passed out behind the wheel? Too many politician can’t manage their personal lives yet feel qualified to manage our lives.

• David Schifter says:

This wasn’t a profiling issue. Brian Berger was slumped unconscious over the wheel. Someone called it in and police responded. This is his second DWI this year, not to mention his past legal issues.

• Niecey says:

I hope this poor troubled man gets some help. He doesn’t have to live this way!

• 8844 says:

He doesn’t have to live this way. He’s had more opportunities to get some help than most people will have in a lifetime. Apparently he chooses to live this way.

Give him a break…Masonboro Loop Rd is quite tranquil at night.

• gary webb says:

Does he still have insurance to drive? Will New Hanover County pick up the costs if he hurts or kills a family while still being allowed to drive? The judge should be held responsible if he lets this guy go and continue to drive, but I guess it depends on how good his lawyer is.

• voiceofreason says:

I agree Mr. Webb, the judge who let him get out with a $5000 bond when prosecutors asked for $15000 should be held completely accountable if anything further happens with Mr. Berger. What else does this man need to do to prove he is a danger to himself and most importantly others? Shame on whomever the judge was…probably an Obama supporter!!

• wesley says:

Twice in one year??!! Habitual drunk! If We as citizens pull this stunt we will lose our licences and insurance cancelled. When are we as tax payers going to rise up against abusive politicians who flaunt they’re lawless power? He should go. Someone said “he made another mistake” Bullsh*t!! He was well aware what he was doing when he put the key in the ignition. Stop defending him! He has a drinking/drug problem..aka..he don’t have any self control. Will it take him killing someone to be LOCKED UP? He needs to leave office NOW and he needs a bicycle to move about.

• GuestMan. says:

He was elected as a republican and didn’t switch to libertarian until about a year ago. The PRIDE of the tea-baggers.

• guest1118 says:

Brian is a registered Libertarian.

• guest7969 says:

You please list WHAT these so called “tea baggers” stand for that you don’t agree with. .. specifics please. .

• Guest-o-matic says:

…there’s a tremendous amount of it in yours! You demmies know exactly how you’re made don’t you? I ALWAYS have a sincere appreciation for total honesty!

• Jay9 says:

If you are going to call someone out for spelling errors, you should proofread your own work. Two instead of too, Definitely instead of defiantly. It least Berger and burger sound the same.

• Readen Steel says:

Speaking of spelling… that would be two not too.

• Mac says:

Once knew a man whose narcissistic girlfriend was so mentally deranged, she filed restraining orders on whatever man she couldn;t get to kiss her tail or drain financially. Especially when they wised-up enough to TRY to exit the relationship. Then, they became her prey to make their life miserable, and knew just enough about the law and gullible authorities she could manipulate … to make the guy regret EVER meeting her. No amount of Intimacy, even IF it had been good (reportedly WASN’T) — is worth what that guy went through.

Brians g’friend MAY have had some fear, though more likely FED-UP.
    But most guys who are served don’t deserve it, and an authority on Oprah asserted that those men WHO DO — it only serves to provoke their craziness to retaliate. But when a woman sets that in action — in court, they guy loses a days work, IF he even has the money to hire an attorney — while the woman sits next to a Domestic Violence Advocate — hanky-in-hand, so when the accuser cries a crocodile tear, the Advovate is ‘johnny-on-the-stop’ to blot the tear.

The man, however, is likely fending for himself. If the judge is female — he is shafted because the likes of judge “C” and “B” are ruthless men-haters, because of their own history of flawed biased personal failures. YIKES!

But, of course, there are two sides to every story. Some relationships are so dysfunctional that the couple needs professional assistance in properly and safely DISENGAGING with one another. That is a whole different area that this County is still oblivious to. As a result, some women DO get abuse, and some even killed. The System is not focused on RESOLVING and MEDIATING CONFLICT — it makes the man the prey, as the Legal System Aids and Abets the complaining woman. True justifications are in minority, and remember, too, many women abuse men. Much more common than you think, and usually psychological but can be physical. But, men tend to keep that out of court. Even if they had some sitting next to them as an Advocate, with that hanky in hand, “bro’ing” up to them, like their counterparts the women profoundly get. It really is a show, and I hope most judges see through that crap.