New Hanover Commission continues to ask Berger to resign

Tags: , , , , ,

Submitted: Tue, 12/10/2013 - 1:56am
Updated: Tue, 12/10/2013 - 1:11pm

WILMINGTON, NC (WWAY) — New Hanover County Commissioner Brian Berger was not at Monday’s County Commission meeting.

Berger was arrested last Friday on a second DWI charge after Wilmington Police said he was found slumped over the steering wheel of his car.

After Monday’s scheduled meeting, Chairman Woody White spoke about their concern and reiterated the Commission’s request for his resignation.

“In my comments, I just suggested that any of us, his fellow board members, are here if he needs help,” White said. “We’ve always wanted him to know that. We have business we have to do. We hope he’s getting help. We hope he’ll reconsider his resignation.”

Berger was supposed to be in court Tuesday morning to face his first DWI charge, but the District Attorney said they have moved the trial to Jan. 29, 2014, where a special outside judge will be assigned to the case.

• kzpony says:

Just calm down, you screwed up, it is what it is. Realize it and get over it and face the consequences. You might have been caught in a very bad situation, but you did this…not anyone else, You need help, son. Get help, but don’t count on your well meaning friends (Woody). He was totally placating the situation…why…we will never know….

• burgerboy says:

That old woody white just want’s to stir up trouble, like he’s never been drunk before, sittin up there being all holier than thee, he needs to be impeached and be sent back to where he came from with his libberism, brian burger may have made a mistake or two but he was an elected official who has that autism and he’s been bullied by that old liberal woody white because of his political affiliations and WOODY WHITE is the one that need’s to resign and go back to where he came from, and the people of the county voted for brian burger and just because that old woody white don’t like burger dont mean he can overturn the ppl’s vote, and we got them new elections coming up again soon and i hope burger gets re elected just to make that old woody white man and make them libbers tard rage ha!

• mike thornton says:

bunger needs to resign he has ben nothing but trouble late for the meetings never on time.

• Vog46 says:

You’re “we’re here to help” rings hollow to me.
    You would have been better off keeping your mouth shut.

Berger should resign and he can be forced off the commission if he commits a felony (I believe). But now that its almost 2014 you can rest assured that the voters WILL take care of your problem.

Vog

Unless the voters do another no-show like this last little election. Hopefully, Berger will save his money and choose not to run again. I just hope that when White is up for re-election that the voters will get rid of him too.

• I Care Why says:

If I were a truck driver and I got a DUI and they asked me to stop driving and I refused to be fired isn’t that the same thing? How about just stop paying him and see how long he works for free. If I could I would REFUSE to pay him one red cent of my hard earned tax dollars completely sober earning it.

• SurfCityTom says:

you’re pounding your gums and spewing forth with hot air.

He will never resign voluntarily. You had the opportunity prior to amotion. He offered to walk in exchange for continued health insurance and some cash.

In retrospect, that would have been a very modest expenditure compared to the tens of thousands of dollars charged by the attorney you hired to run him off the reservation.

Too late now for that face saving act.

Feel good Woody? Rather than a display of power and leadership, you ended up with egg foo yung all over your face.

So are these new conciliatory comments out of fear that Brian has a lawsuit in the works with the Edwards law firm? You’re out of your league if Edwards and Company are representing him in an action against you.

• Rick Wilson says:

Woody White has been out of his league since he was elected. I hope his campaign contributor(s) realize this when it comes time for his re-election. The record setting $130,000.00 dollars in campaign contributions was a total waste for someone so vindictive and self serving. The voters or the court will decide Brian Bergers fate……..White’s inept Amotion process proved he either ignores the law or only chooses to follow it when he chooses. For the higher court to uphold the Amotion process and reject Bergers removal due to procedural missteps is inexcusable…….especially with someone that is supposed to be an attorney leading the hearing. Are law degrees now available @ department stores?

• frontpaige says:

Lots of fingers can be pointed in all directions. The important question: WHO will decide Berger’s eventual replacement. It should be the VOTERS. When Ted Davis’s seat became available on the Commission, first, the 3 member New Hanover Co GOP committee (appointed by the Chairman) vetted and nominated a local attorney, who was disqualified
    after a hearing regarding residency. Then the NHC-GOP Executive Committee voted a replacement (local doctor actively involved in the community), who was voted down by the Commissioners, as they appointed a person of their choosing. The replacement process is also a dicey proposition. Whoever is appointed will have the advantage of an incumbent, although they were never elected. I want the VOTERS TO DECIDE.

• Lee1026 says:

First off – I believe that you are referring to the Leadership Development Committee and there are 5 members not 3. Secondly, you are correct that Melissa Gott was nominated to fill Ted Davis’s seat, but when her residency was challenged the seat went unfilled because the remainder of the term was so brief. When Rick Catlin’s seat on the Commission was vacated the LDC nominated Tom Wolfe to the executive committee. The EC voted Tom down in favor of Derrick Hickey, whom the VOTERS had the opportunity to elect to the Commission and chose not to do. Can’t blame the Commission for choosing not to take the EC recommendation, which is well within their right. Should Berger have a moment of lucidity and choose to resign, the process will be exactly the same because that is the law. In order for a replacement to be voted on by special election the law would first need to be changed by the Legislature. Have a nice day!

• ChefnSurf says:

(1) Berger obviously should resign but he never will. That would require him to do the right thing and he wont.

(2) Woody White should shut the heck up. He’s not going to get Berger off the Board and he’s created enough financial liability for NHC taxpayers already during this process.

(3) The entire Board, not just Woody ,should make sure Berger’s painted into a corner where he can do nothing more than wait out his term. Keep him off committees and boards and make sure he’s not wasting more county money or time. That’s something they really can do, unlike this amotion nonsense.

(4) The rest of us, including me, should just stop whining about this and realize that life isn’t necessarily fair. The only thing we can do is to wait him out. Investing additional angst into this is just a waste of our personal emotional resources.

‘Nuff said.

• Rick Wilson says:

The fair way to choose replacements would be to go to the last election and offer the position to the highest vote getter among the non-winners. This would still allow the voters a voice and end ridiculous Amotion processes designed to stack a board while eliminating the voters from the process.

• nc tax payer says:

hi all you republicans voted that jerk in , i hate republicans

• beach guy says:

Is that all you got?
    typical liberal troll spewing hate, how about why you hate republicans all republicans like maybe some of your family members or Dr. King or maybe Ole Abe? pretty general statement. I bet your doctor is a republican do you hate him or her too?
    Grow up and read a book

You shouldn’t hate the people that pay the taxes you live on. If you want to be around other liberals, move up North.

• craig says:

I would kinda’ hate to see him resign. I mean what else am I going to read about? Yea he is embarrassing to us new Hanover countians but the news is so much more interesting with him in it. I really want to see him run for re-election. What platform will he take? Can he even see a platform? Hummm. I just hope he does not appear in the obituaries one day soon. I really hope he gets some very much needed help. Addiction is hell I have seen the results of addiction. It ain’t very pretty.

• Okie says:

Way back, before Berger King got elected, they would show him on the news. First I saw him, then he opened his mouth, I knew he was a nut case. I do not understand why anyone would have voted for him.