20 Comments for this article

Tags: , , , ,

WILMINGTON, NC (WWAY) — A New Hanover County woman is out of jail after being arrested for allegedly trying to kill her son.

The New Hanover County Sheriff’s Office says on Nov. 30 deputies responded to a report of a shooting at 5418 Pond Dr. Thomas Bello said his mother came to his home to visit with him for a few minutes before he was supposed to go out of town.

Bello said that while walking around and talking to his mother he heard a loud pop near his head. He said when he turned around to see what it was, he saw his mother, Elisabeth Buckles Bello, with a gun in her hand pointing it at him. That led to a fight, where the gun was fired again.

Mr. Bello said when he got the gun away from his mother he called 911 and ran downstairs to get away from her. He said once downstairs he threw the gun into a closet and then sat down in front of the closet to keep his mother from getting it.

Investigators say Mrs. Bello eventually left the house. Her son locked the door and waited for emergency personnel to arrive.

Mr. Bello suffered a gunshot wound to the right shoulder and left hand. He was taken to the Hanover Regional Medical Center for treatment. Mrs. Bello was later located at the home of her other son at 5408 Pond Dr. Investigators say she did not seem coherent and was transported to the hospital.

After further investigation detectives charged Elisabeth Bello with attempted first-degree murder and assault with a deadly weapon with intent to kill inflicting serious injury. She is out of jail on a $100,000 secured bond.

Comment on this Story

20 Comments on "Mother charged with trying to shoot son in head"

CoastalJade
2015 years 9 months ago

See people put their real names on web pages and that leads people to do some checking. I see your name in the database. Wonder if that is you?
Wilmington is not the issue. Gangs and thugs are the issues.
As far as I know, and I checked, as far as for NC…the mother does not have a criminal record. So leads many to believe mental issues.
Wilmington doesn’t miss you by the way.

guestwho

Yes, please don’t.

BobLinkster
2015 years 9 months ago

That’s know to be a very rough area.

GuestMan.
2015 years 9 months ago

Another gun crime. Mother on son. White on white. It really doesn’t fit the profile that most of you prefer on here, does it? Erickoenig, guesty, Tom, don’t be too disappointed because I’m sure another crime that is more to your liking will come along.

SurfCityTom
2015 years 9 months ago

would you dare to think I like crime? You must be some type of low life, trolling weasel. I am of the opinion justice was not served in this case. Why would a Judge or Magistrate allow bail without some form of mental evaluation?

Guest1851658
2015 years 9 months ago

I think most will agree that since it is a white on white crime, it is somewhat unusual.

guesty
2015 years 9 months ago

My guess like many others on here is that she has mental issues. All the other crimes you think we prefer have a few things in common, usually the perpetrator and victim are black, the perpetrator is usually already on probation or just released from jail for committing a violent crime, the crime usually involves a theft, guns are the weapon of choice.

And you are correct, another crime will come along and I hope the end result is the criminal is shot dead, no matter what their skin color is.

Jessica
2015 years 9 months ago

I’m thinking she had a mental illness of some type that wasn’t treated.

Stacy B. Smith
2015 years 9 months ago

Black men shooting each other? They deserved to die anyway. White woman shoots her own child? She’s mentally ill and needs help. Why? What makes this woman’s case so different from those “thugs” you all so love to wish death on for being less than upstanding citizens? Let me guess…they are #$%&*#$, not white. You all might as well go ahead and admit that Wilmington really has not grown a whole lot since the 1898 riot. Race relations suck, and always have in that little city by the sea. I use to be proud to be from Wilmington. But as for now, I won’t even go back to visit.

CoastalJade
2015 years 9 months ago

You beat me to it. Well said.

Benick
2015 years 9 months ago

Yes, and another thing about the crimes you prefer where they’re usually black and already on probation is that those are the crimes that the white or non-black owners/managers of these stations also prefer and air on their precious “Snow White” stations

guesty
2015 years 9 months ago

You might be on to something. Exactly what is a “Snow White” station? Is that something that would air on BET? Oh no, to have a network dedicated to one race would be racist, right?

Thinking about what you have posted, I think you are on something. Smoked a little too much at lunch today?

Nonicomb
2015 years 9 months ago

No, they didn’t “just happen today.” The incident occurred on November 30th, yet she wasn’t arrested until December 11th. Plenty of time for all those nice colors to emerge.

deputy25
2015 years 9 months ago

those black eyes just didnt happen today. it takes a while for them to get black/blue and some yellow. My guess is her son whooped her a few days ago??

guest123456
2015 years 9 months ago

And she is out of jail???????

Nonicomb
2015 years 9 months ago

“He said when he turned around to see what it was, he saw his mother, Elisabeth Buckles Bello, with a gun in her hand pointing it at him. THAT LED TO A FIGHT, where the gun was fired again.”

Generally, when someone has two black eyes like that, it was caused by some sort of impact to the nose. It wouldn’t be unusual for someone engaged in a struggle to hit/be hit in the nose.

taxpayer
2015 years 9 months ago

gave the pair of black eyes?

Guest2020
2015 years 9 months ago

I wonder who put up the money or property for her to get out of jail. That’s just messed up.

Cheryl Handy
2015 years 9 months ago

What is the background on the son? Were they known to have volatile relationship?

BEACH GUY
2015 years 9 months ago

Poor dude, his own mom tries to whack him and actually shoots him which is bad enough, but then the government let her out of Jail????
She should at least be in the oaks wearing a dinner jacket with sleeves that tie in the back until there can be a full mental evaluation.
I would say that this person is at the very least a danger to herself and the community.
I feel for this family I hope the lady gets some help this has got to be the worst story I have heard in a long time.