Driver charged after hitting unmanned taxi cab on MLK Pkwy

Tags: , , , ,

Submitted: Mon, 12/16/2013 - 1:37pm
Updated: Mon, 12/16/2013 - 3:41pm By:

WILMINGTON, NC (WWAY) — A driver who hit an unoccupied taxi cab on a major Wilmington road early Monday morning now faces charges for the crash.

The crash happened around 6:15 a.m. at the intersection of MLK Parkway and N. College Road, according to dispatchers. Police say a driver hit an unoccupied Checkers cab when traveling west.

They say no one was hurt in the crash, but the driver, Shannon Flynn, was charged with failure to maintain a lane.

• steve says:

Then you need to get up to speed.

• Tracie C says:

I wasn’t aware that we had people who’s expectation is that a cab couldn’t break down like every other vehicle on the planet is apt to do? Here’s your explanation genius: the cab was broken down on the side of the road, this woman hit it. That’s why she was charged with failure to maintain a lane.
    Happy now?

• b.cf.857 says:

Just so you know the driver of the Taxi was on the scene the Taxi was broke down!! The owner of this Taxi company is very nice and they have been through enough!

• cab says:

I wasn’t aware we had unmanned cabs here, what technology our city has. Seriously , why was there a cab on MLK with no one in it? Was it in the road or on the side of the road?

• Guest Reply Redux says:

Thanks for clearing up this confusion Taxitim as to what happened. Now I can get some restful sleep so others won’t worry about me…and you won’t have to worry about someone calling your office to see what really happened…because they can ;-)
    In reality…I can call the owner of the taxi that was hit, if this happens again…and simply ASK HIM what happened!

• Taxitim says:

I am the manager of this company. My driver followed our policy. Van was broke down. One of my other drivers drove him home. This van broke down about 330a and was hit at 615a. We couldn’t get a towtruck til morning. Thank God the woman that hit the van and rolled her vehicle was okay. That was my boss’ only concern. Vans can be replaced. Human lives can’t.

• Inside Scoop says:

Many Small Cab Companies get their Cabs inspected every year at an Auto Shop on 3rd & Grace St in Wilmington. Cabs will continue to break down. Are they paying extra cash money for a Good Inspection? You decide.

• Tracie C says:

“Inside Scoop” usually implies you have real information. Please don’t try to start trouble for a hardworking business owner because you feel like you know something.

• Guest Reply Redux says:

Where in this Award Winning story does it say the cab was broken down…between the lines…or are you just doing the reporters job for them? Maybe the Cabbie had to stand outside for an E Cig…and the cab had just had a tune up!! Maybe this….maybe this or that.
    This station is easy pickins for “the lack of”…leaving out the full details…as usual.

• Tracie C says:

Well, excuse me for leaving out the details that allow you to have a restful sleep.
    I don’t NEED to do a “reporters job” when it comes to taxis in Wilmington. Why, you may so rudely ask? Well, sir, because: I can call the owner of the taxi that was hit and simply ASK HIM what happened!
    So your “maybe” diatribe is now moot.
    If you have such a huge problem with details left out man up and call the news station instead of sitting behind your computer screen with the obvious intent to act like an ass…”as usual”.