3 Comments for this article

Tags: , , , , , , ,

GARY D. ROBERTSON
Associated Press

RALEIGH, NC (AP) — It appears former or current US tobacco growers will get their full, final annual payment from the quota buyout approved by Congress almost a decade ago.

The US Agriculture Department has said the payments were subject to the next round of automatic budget cuts later this month and prepared former quota holders and growers for a 7 percent decrease for the final payment. But Secretary Tom Vilsack told North Carolina members of Congress this week there’s a way to locate funds to complete the full payment by late 2014.

North Carolina’s congressional delegation praised the announcement Tuesday.

North Carolina’s 76,000 quota holders and producers had been projected to receive nearly $4 billion in cumulative annual payments through the 2004 buyout.

(Copyright 2014 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)

Comment on this Story

Related News

Pat McCrory arrives at Trump tower on December 7, 2016 (Photo: CNN)
18 hours ago
0 Comments for this article
Pat McCrory arrives at Trump tower
Read More»
Donald Trump is the 2016 Time Person of the Year (Photo: Nadav Kander/Time)
21 hours ago
0 Comments for this article
Trump is Time magazine’s Person of the Year
Read More»
Donald Trump thanks North Carolina voters during his 2016 Thank You Tour stop in Fayetteville on Dec. 6, 2016. (Photo: Sarah Johnson/WWAY)
1 day ago
0 Comments for this article
Trump says ‘thank you’ to NC supporters
Read More»