make WWAY your homepage  Become a fan on facebook  Follow us on twitter  Receive RSS Newsfeeds  MEMBERS: Register | Login

Cigarette blamed for apartment fire overnight

READ MORE:
 

WILMINGTON, NC (WWAY) -- The Wilmington Fire Department says improperly discarded smoking material led to a fire that ripped through an apartment complex overnight that forced nearly 20 people from their homes.

It happened at Wilmington's Colonial Grand Apartments at 818 St. Andrews Drive. Firefighters say the flames were put out just before 2 a.m.

The Wilmington Fire Department says fire, water and smoke damage ended up displacing six of the 18 units in the building. Two had fire damage, one had water damage and three other had smoke damages. WFD says property management has relocated all the people affected.

Crews say the fire forced about 18 people who lived there out of their apartments, and into the complex club house until the American Red Cross could get to the scene to help.

Firefighters say one was hurt, but one cat died in the fire.

The Red Cross says it is available to help anyone affected, but no one has asked for help so far.

Investigators say the fire started in the area of a second story balcony. They estimate the building suffered about $200,000 worth of damage.

Disclaimer: Comments posted on this, or any story are opinions of those people posting them, and not the views or opinions of WWAY NewsChannel 3, its management or employees. You can view our comment policy here.

»

I thought there was a fire

I thought there was a fire retardant in cigarettes now that prevented them from causing fires? Hmmmmm :-(
Sounds like Colorado may need to do the same for rolling papers now. HA!!!!!

Fire retardant? In cigarettes?

A fire retardant in cigarettes? That makes absolutely no sense at all. How would they get lit?

The careless smoker should

The careless smoker should have to pay for all damages, as well as lost rent to the complex and relocation fees for the residents.

E Cig

Should have been vaping w an Ecig instead. You would think there are no dangers w cigarettes the way some like to discredit ecigs. But fires are a routine and too often danger of traditional cigarettes.

Fire, was that at 804 Unit Y St. Andrews Dr.?

My room mates and I use to live in the apartment 804 unit Y on the 3rd floor. We moved in August because our lease ended. I wonder what happened and if thats the same apartment we use to live in. Hope no one got hurt, a bit ruffled by what happened but hopefully thats the worst anyone who lived there went through. :/ Fingers crossed everyone is safe.

Just because you lived in that apartment complex ...

... why in the world would you think it was exactly the same one you lived in?

Learn how to read

The poster did not say that he THOUGHT it was the same apartment he used to live in ... he simply WONDERED IF it was the same apartment.

Re: Learn how to read

I was actually using the word "think" in the context of that being conjectural. My bad, should have said "possibly think". The concept of my post remains unchanged.

Meanwhile ... back at the ranch ... With a user name of "Tiffany", I find it hard to believe that you would think that the poster was a male (Your quote: "he simply WONDERED").

If I may so bold as to make a suggestion: "Learn how to read".

:-)