HAPPENING TODAY: Forecasted cold weather means more school delays

Tags: , ,

Submitted: Wed, 01/08/2014 - 12:39pm
Updated: Wed, 01/08/2014 - 1:27pm

BLADEN COUNTY, NC (WWAY) — Several area school districts started the day late yesterday due to extreme cold. There are more delays scheduled for today.

Here are the delays reported so far for schools in our area

-Bladen County Schools: 2-hour delay for students; staff are to report to work at 8 a.m.
-Brunswick County Schools: 2-hour delay for students; staff should report to work at the regular scheduled time unless annual leave is arranged with his/her supervisor
-Columbus County Schools: School starts at 10 a.m.; staff at normal time
-Duplin County Schools: 2-hour delay for students; staff at normal time
-New Hanover County Schools: 2-hour delay for students and staff
-Onslow County Schools: 2-hour delay for students and staff
-Pender County Schools: 2-hour delay for students
-Robeson County Schools: 2-hour delay for students and staff
-Whiteville City Schools: 2-hour delay for students and staff (will be serving breakfast)

-Calvary Christian School (Wilmington): School starts at 10:30 a.m., no morning care
-Columbus Christian Academy (Whiteville): 2-hour delay
-SEGS Academy (Whiteville): 2-hour delay

A statement from New Hanover County Schools says the delay will allow time for school buses and heating system to be checked and allow any problems to be addressed.

Stay with WWAY NewsChannel 3 for any others announcements.

• taxpayer says:

R.S.,

You are so unprepared for the real world. The delay is nothing more than a political stunt on the part of the Board of Education and Central Staff to win favor with the parents.

Going to school at 18 degrees or two hours later when it was 20…not a tinker’s damn of difference.

But goody for you to have some extra time to study. Maybe if you logged off Facebook and quit tweeting, you’d find the time to study.

Good luck on those finals.

It wasn’t just the temperature. There was also a valid concern of black ice which is more difficult to see in the dark. I left the house shortly after 11:00 am and there was a patch of black ice on the road. I saw more ice than I anticipated, especially for that time of day, on my drive to Wilmington.

• R.S. says:

I would like to say that I am ready for the real world (kind of jumping to conclusions, weren’t you?). I just don’t understand how it relates to the fact the delay was a political stunt. I guess being a student, I consider the delay as an gift rather than a stunt. I simply accept what has been given to me and utilize it in a more optimistic way.

Being a political stunt is just a factor. The main reason they put out the delay was to check the pipes to make sure they didn’t freeze or burst. They also checked to make sure that the heater was working. Similar to last year, the air conditioning was broken and the students had to sit in 85 degree classrooms for eight hours. They were simply trying to prevent the school from freezing- and they did a great job because no one at my school has complained.

I didn’t mean to cause an uproar from you. I just wanted to simply state that I appreciated the two-hour delay.

Thank you for sharing your opinion. Have a nice day.

P.S.
    I’m not the average student. I’m a hard worker. I come home from eight hours of school and take a break for 30 minutes- I have a snack, walk my dog, or even look at the news like this one. Then I go back to doing 6 hours of homework. I don’t have a facebook or a twitter because I have come to conclusions that they are a major and unnecessary distraction. I just check my email to communicate with my employer, turn in an online assignment, or to talk to my grandmother who is from Portugal. So yes, I’m not the average student. Thank you for your time.

• boldizar says:

Sure R.S……. lolllll

• TheChairman says:

The Chinese aren’t complaining. Just taking your jobs. Get back to work.

• Delayed Response says:

Did the schools end the day 2 hours later?

It is not a delay of the school day. The school day was reduced by 2 hours for each of 2 days. Will that time be replaced?

• kzpony says:

In the big world people have jobs, but we don’t get two hours off to “be prepared” unless we have small school age children in which case we are now 2 hours late and 2 hours of pay behind X 2 days equals a substantial amount from our income this week, not to mention the aggravation of the other employees without children who made it to work on times, lost no pay, but were short handed for two hours X 2.

One day, you will learn…yessiree…

• SurfCityTom says:

why even open today?

It’s 10 AM in Surf City and a balmy 18 degrees.

Would have made more sense to keep schools closed today if the concern was youngster safety.

• James Cooper says:

could any of you be more petty?

• Teacher says:

As a teacher I am thankful for the delay. I found out this morning that in my classroom the heat wasn’t working. They had someone working on it from 7:00-9:00…one of the many reasons it was a good decision to have delay.

• CoastalJade says:

For them to wear how many times?
    Don’t worry about delays here…it is not like we were the only states to do it. Northern states have been doing it for days.
    FYI, I checked those thrift and goodwill stores yesterday…not one jacket in sight. And was told not many thick jackets get donated…because, WE do NOT have weather for jackets such as that.
    And I took my kids to school thank you.

• guestwhat says:

2hr delay, so what! It was cold as heck this morning at 6:00! Good call NHCS.

• HolyRainbow says:

I think the school was just trying to keep us safe and not inconvenience you.

It’s just an inconvenience to parents who have to work. It’s not going to be any warmer 2 hours after they normally get on the bus. This is just a PR move. It doesn’t really accomplish anything.

• burgerboy says:

Look here, this here Brunswick county school board has gone totally tooty frooty if you ask me, turning these kids these days into WIMPS and sissy’s, not making them go to school because it’s too cold, well i say they NEED to go to school when it’s cold to build up there character, back in the good old days we had to go to school when it’s cold, and didn’t think nothin of it, but them school ppl want them little kiddys to lay up and stay home and read that TRASH colour purple book, it’s just discusting what them libber weirdos are doing to the youths in this county, you go to Norway or Sweden and them little kids are walking through 5 feet of snow at 6 am in negative 20 degree’s celsus weather to go to school, but of course they value and education over their, unlike all these entittled libbers laying up there in the school board, they need to kick them out and send them back to yanky northernville or wherever they came from!

• Marta says:

Confused as to why officials elected to delay school when the difference between the temperature at 6:30a.m. and 9:30a.m. is three degrees? Not very smart. I do not want my child waiting for a bus in cold temperatures either, so why not take your child to school yourself or ask a friend/family/neighbor to help out. Parents need to take more of an initiative for their own children. Buy them a winter jacket..f.y.i, watch end of the season sales, you can get jackets for cheap for the following year or shop Goodwill. Not having a proper cold weather jacket is ridiculous. Parents need to plan better.

• Marta says:

Just thought I would share that I grew up in a military family. My father served our country for 35 years. I was taught to get an education and then provide for myself. Not to expect others to do it for me. I was taught to assess situations and be prepared for many different outcomes. I was taught to take ownership of my actions, not to place blame on others for my shortcomings. With that said, my husband and I continuously give throughout the year to charitable organizations and ask of nothing in return. I am sorry but it is not my job to provide a jacket to every child in this county. Maybe you should reevaluate your view. This thread has gotten way off track, I am done.

• Guest-o-matic says:

I just got off the phone with a friend who lives in Minot, North Dakota.

He said that since early this morning, the snow has been nearly waist high and is still falling. The temperature is 32 degrees below zero, and the north wind is increasing to near gale force. Wind chill is minus 59 F.

His wife has done nothing but look through the kitchen window and just stare…

He says that if it gets much worse, he may have to let her in…

• Marta says:

Sorry Goodwill was out of jackets. I always purchase mine in the spring and there are plenty of warm jackets available for discounted prices ($15). Maybe you need to plan a little better. Don’t get upset with other people because you are not prepared. It is our job as parents to be prepared. Oh, and those “northern states” would call our weather today a warm up from the temperatures they have been experiencing. Quit being so sensitive and start being prepared.

• Marta says:

It was cold at 6:00a.m., 9:00a.m., 12:00a.m. and is still cold at 1:00p.m. What is the difference?

• bob says:

i don`t think you are going to find a medical professional who will tell you that ten minutes in 15 degrees would have any adverse effects . we need to value education and stop taking the easy way out.

• Candi says:

Not all parents have family – there are a lot of military families in the area. And there are tons of families that are trying hard to keep food on the table. Why don’t you buy jackets for the less fortunate? Think of your fellow man. SMH….people need to be more considerate. I work full time, my child has 3-4 coats, but we donate and sponsor a family at Christmas. Please broaden your view.

• Guest1971 says:

Correct – It is just a PR move on the part of the school systems. I work and usually drop my high school aged child off on my way to work. Due to the delay he had to go out and catch the bus. Our workplaces do not care that it is cold out – we still have to be at work on time.

• Lisa's Two Cents says:

Well God Bless your children, Marta, because you were prepared. Your children will stay warm, as they deserve.

• wildflowers says:

Good Call New Hanover Co. & Thanks for thinking About ALL of our Children.

• amystack says:

Looks like burgerboy didn’t do much when he finally made it to school through all the snow and cold weather we get down here in Southeastern NC. I am impressed he even figured out how to turn the computer on. Kudos, burgerboy!! Keep it real!

• 111111guest says:

Minot N. D. story was funny, I fell right into it!

• R.S. says:

As a student at a local high school, I am extremely grateful for the two-hour delay. I am not as concerned about the cold as I am about the upcoming finals. Although the delay is caused by the weather, I view this as more of a chance to study for the finals next week. As of recent, my high school has created mandatory packets for each class. For my U.S. History class, I have to answer 300 questions that takes about a paragraph each- that is just for ONE class. With the delay, I can utilize that time to work on them rather than staying up late and evolving into the typical teenage zombie.

When I wake up in the morning, it is usually pitch-black outside. I scoot myself around my room and try to avoid hitting a wall when shuffling to the bathroom. I have to quickly get dressed, make lunch, eat breakfast, and try to prepare for the long day. When I woke up this morning, the sun was shining and the heater was blaring- it was a foreign feeling. I finally had time to pick out an outfit; I finally had time to make hot chocolate; I finally had time to read that book my teacher recommended; I finally had time to finish a project that is due next week; I finally had time. I was so radiant, I was shining brighter than the sun (the sun I could actually see in the morning).

When I arrived in class today at the wonderful time of 10:30, I looked around at my fellow peers. No one had bags under their eyes, or a head on the desk, or an eye closed shut. By having the extra time to sleep and be prepared for the day, my peers had participated actively in the class and actually seemed enthusiastic to learn! If you compare it to an ordinary day, there is a notable difference.

My teachers also talked about the superb delay. They had time to finish grading the papers or making the PowerPoint to review for the final. They too were energized and ready to take-on the day with a can do attitude. Everyone’s mood had increased drastically.

I realize that the delay was for the freezing conditions and I believe that the delay was justified. Last year, it was around 35 degrees outside when I had to go to a physics class in the morning. The class started just as the sun was peaking over the house as well as when the heating system wasn’t working. My peers and I had to sit through a miserable one and a half hours in the cold while trying to figure out the final velocity of a cannonball if it was fired towards a ship 100 meters away… It was dreadful.

The delay was to help ensure a warm, welcoming classroom for all students and staff. All I can say is that I appreciate the delay and I’m thankful for my county for making that decision.

• Coastal Jaded says:

Excuse me Coastal Jade; however, you need to realize that by delaying school two hours for a one degree temperature change you have disrupted numerous work schedules as well as reduced the amount of instructional time each student receives thus diminishing their education. However, we want them not to be too cold so let’s coddle them so parents like you can feel better. Your liberal mindset is weakening our country and creating a nation of people unable to problem solve and adapt to stressful situations. You are part of the problem, Coastal Jade.

• balmy says:

It will be a balmy 20* at 10am when they are waiting for the bus now, not much of a difference. If there was 1″ of snow on the ground you can bet your kids would be out playing in it.

• CoastalJade says:

Let them out to play in snow? No, maybe to hit the porch and grab a handful, but not playing.
    I don’t have the proper attire for this weather for my kids. We don’t have weather that warrants it. So my kids have light jackets, gloves, and hats. Light jackets being the key word. Many here on the southeast coast have light jackets only as well.

And to the idiot spouting weenie kids on this thread… grow up.
    Or better yet…buy the jackets for the kids yourself or shut up all around.

• Guest-o-matic says:

…a drop of rain, a flake of snow, just let a little cold air blow, AND SCHOOLS OUT!!!

• Maybeitsmaybellena says:

Where I used to live, we went to school when it was lower temps and a lot of snow but…
    NO ONE WANTS TO GO TO SCHOOL!!!!!!!!!!!

• 3293 says:

School is NOT out….it is on a two hour delay. Most buses in the county I live are old and will have issues starting and warming up. At least the two hour delay will help solve these issues and it will be daylight and a little warmer for a 5 year waiting outside for a bus. Have a blessed day, and I hope you did not have to get out in the 14 degree weather this morning.

• jack watkins says:

I have lived in Wilmington all of my 48 years and can’t ever remember school ever being delayed because it was too cold outside and I am sure we had the same weather then as we have now. My mother had the right mind to make sure we had winter clothes no matter if we lived on the coast or not. To all of you newbies to ” the coast ” it does get cold here also.

It was 15° this morning at 8:30. This has happened many times over the years and the busses still rolled. Sub-zero, maybe a delay, but come on, today was nothing. I guarantee it there had been snow on the ground, the kids would have been out in it even if it had been colder. Wonder how many kids went out Christmas of 1989 when it was 0° and 15 inches of frozen white stuff on the ground. Of course, school is not nearly as important.

• Northern Light says:

For what? Too cold? No ice anywhere on the roads. Get real people.

Umm…let’s see maybe because we live in an area that doesn’t see weather this cold often. Most of us & our children don’t own coats heavy enough to protect us from the bitter cold that’s predicted. I grew up in upstate New York & yes we still went to school on cold days but we had thick coat, ear muffs, scarfs, etc. things most southeastern North Carolinians do not own. My child’s bus arrives at 5:45am, when the windchill is supposed to be 10 degrees. Frostbite can be obtained in as little as 30 min. So I for one applaud the schools for being proactive and protecting our children.

• Pointress says:

Ummmmm, maybe it’s not just about whether or not there’s ice on the roads??!?

There may not be ice, but a lack of ice on roads doesn’t mean all danger from ridiculously cold temperatures is removed. I for one don’t want ANY child to have to be on the side of the road waiting for a bus for any length of time when it’s this cold. Additionally, a two-hour delay would give faculty and staff a chance to arrive at the schools and check to make certain water is flowing. It’s entirely conceivable that pipes could have burst, rendering our schools dangerous and not up to code if there’s no running water for toilets, fountains, or cafeterias.

• guest7969 says:

We aren’t used to weather like this and neither are the buses…they did it so that elementary kids aren’t out in -5 wind chill waiting for a bus thats broken down…that was the MAIN reason…

• CoastalJade says:

You get real.
    So what that there was no ice. We live on the coast and in this state to keep out of the cold and snow. I am glad they delayed it. I didn’t want my kids out in this weather they are not accustomed to.
    I guess you think it is fine to put kids who are not use to weather like this out by the roads waiting on the bus. The delays made sure small kids, or any kids for that matter could have a few hours for the sun to come up and warm up a little.

• Guest Reply Redux says:

When it’s 90 degrees in the morning in late August, when schools are in session in Wilmywoodn’t…shouldn’t they start…2 hours earlier??
    Eat chilli…you will be Ok :-)

• Gramps1945 says:

How many snow plows does Wilmington have ? Zero. They probably have hundreds in N Dakota. For us, its more far more logical to shut the town down, for a day or two, every 3 or 4 years, then to waste millions on snow plows. We’ll just open up, a few hours late, when the sun has had a chance to come up. And we only have to do this, once every 3 or 4 years. It’s best for us just to limit our travels, and try to stay inside. Especially when it will be 60 degrees in 36 hours from now.

N Dakota is a different story. It stays like this, for several months at a time, up there. That’s why they have snow plows, and have to shirk off the cold.

• Guestomfg says:

A lot of people around here do not own thick coats or gloves/hats etc, it rarely gets cold enough to justify spending on such things every winter for a child. Do you think little kids need to be out at the bus stop before the sun comes up freezing to death?

It has been colder than this before, here and nothing was delayed. I can’t understand what the big deal is this time. Put on your coat and go about your business. You are just making wussies out of kids. They are too lazy and sensitive now. I wonder if Japan, China and Russia cancel school when they have a cold spell?

if a 10 year old waiting at their bus stop at 6 am went all hypothermic….we would all be up in a tissy! IT was more for the schools to ensure the buses were even running…no sense in kids sitting out at a bus stop waiting for a bus that’s broken down. I bet you also walked straight your ride this morning after you let it warm up…these are KIDS, waiting outside in the elements for a ride…I am far from continuing the woosification of our kids…but I have to say this is one time our school system used some common sense!

It is being done for the safety of the children who ride the buses. These kinds of temperatures could be harmful to them in a short amount of time.

• 3293 says:

This “responsible parent” has the responsibility of being at a job at 7:30. The school is 15 miles in one direction from the home and my job is 20 miles in the opposite direction from the home. Any more suggestions?

• Guest-o-matic says:

…had my daily team meeting at 0700, right on time. My trusty ’74 Chevy truck didn’t cough once during my 40 minute commute.

I wouldn’t put a 5 yr old on a school bus anyway, I’d take her myself like most “responsible” parents would do. The older ones would get an appropriate coat, gloves and a hat.

• Erlkoenig says:

This is what turns kids into weenies.

• Roger K says:

CFA on time. We drive Mercedes and Beemers. Not afraid of the cold.

• 8844 says:

I guess you’ve never read Dale Carnegie’s book “How to Win Friends and Influence People.”

• John says:

Little snotty pantspunchers never heard of a school bus.

• hhhhmmmmm says:

It wasn’t snowing. No one said anything about snow. The delay wasn’t because of snow. People could understand if it WERE about SNOW, but it was not. It was about temperature. And quite frankly, it was stupid. There was almost no difference in temperature between 6 am and 8 am. Makes absolutely no sense to me!!!! How about having school staff and bus drivers report to work EARLY to make sure everything is working properly? Oh, because then they might have to be paid overtime? Instead, let’s take two hours off our kids’ education for the day. Kids today already have it too easy, this just gives them more time to be LAZY. I certainly hope the school system plans to make up the 4 hours of missed school on the next “early release day,” which is another JOKE if you ask me. But that’s a topic for another day.

Guest Reply Redux mentioned snow–“That is strange. The schools in Fargo,N.D. are only delayed 10 minutes…with 2′ of snow…and -22 degrees.”

It wasn’t just about the cold weather. With the recent rains there had been concerned about black ice, which is harder to see in the dark. I left the house just before noon that day and there was still ice on my road, so it isn’t far fetched to say that they were appropriately concerned.

As long as a school is in session for a certain number of hours in a given day, that day counts towards the minimum state requirements. Therefore the hours missed in the school delays do not require make-up time.

do that when you can buy ‘em?

I guess they delayed school so kids aren’t standing in the freezing cold waiting on buses? This would be the only logical reason for the start time delays..IMO