WILMINGTON, NC (WWAY) -- A gas leak in Wilmington is contained and roads are back open this morning after crews say they found a malfunction sparked the leak.
It all started around 2:30 a.m. at 810 Sunnyvale Drive near Bryan Road. Wilmington firefighters, police and gas crews all responded to the leak, which closed down parts of the road there.
Fire crews tried to evacuated two homes nearby, but say no one was there. Gas crews called for additional help during repairs, and were able to determine that the leak was caused by a valve malfunction.
No one was hurt, but firefighters say a strong odor could linger in the air in that area throughout the day. They also warn drivers to watch out for water spots and black ice on those roads.