Duo arrested after one holds stolen gun to man’s head during robbery

Tags: , , , ,

Submitted: Wed, 02/05/2014 - 3:47pm
Updated: Thu, 02/06/2014 - 1:20am

WILMINGTON, NC (WWAY) — Police arrested two men they say held a stolen gun to a man’s head during a robbery in Wilmington last night.

Just before 8:30 p.m., dispatchers got a call about an armed robbery at 2225 Shirley Road. Police say when they got to the scene, the caller told them two men came to the door of his girlfriend’s home and pulled out a gun.

That’s when they say one of the suspects put the gun to the caller’s head. Police say the man was able to wrestle the gun away from the suspects before they both took off running towards the woods behind the home.

Officers set up a perimeter, where they found the suspects’ gun, before K9 units tracked a trail to the Love Grove community. Police say when they were clearing the scene, since their search turned up nothing, a vehicle drove by and officers found the two men inside.

Kamal Kennedy and Brian Williams were arrested for armed robbery and conspiracy to commit an armed robbery. Both men were also charged with possession of a stolen firearm after police discovered the gun they used during the robbery was stolen from Brunswick County.

Kennedy and Williams are in the New Hanover County Jail, each under a $20,000 secured bond.

• GusetAghast says:

Apparently the justice system is trying to save money by not having to house felons until their trial. They can continue to add to their rap sheet. Hooray for the New Hanover Justice system!

Bond isn’t about gun laws. It’s about ensuring that the defendant shows up for his court appearance.

• SurfCityTom says:

before you post.

The Judges must follow statutes which govern bond amounts. Statutes are written in Raleigh.

If you have a problem with the statute, get active about it. Approach your state Senator and Representative; become vocal; get others to become vocal. Travel to Raleigh when the Legislature is in session; speak your piece to other legislators.

OR, sit and pound your gums.

• guest 2014 says:

What a joke …….$20,000 bond for using a stolen firearm to commit a crime…a crime involving any firearm should be a $2,000,000 bond……if you want gun regulation laws why not start with something like this minimal bail setting…….instead of regulating my right to defend myself….. ..only law abiding citizens follow the laws….

• tke1 says:

STOLEN!?@?!? You mean these guys didn’t go down to the local gun store and purchase it like the antigunners and the liberals want you to believe. Shocking!!!!!!
    Folks, criminals do not purchase guns through legal channels. They steal them or buy them on the black market. Anyone selling a firearm to a convicted felon or selling a stolen firearm to a criminal should receive the same punishment as the person who possesses the gun or uses the gun in a crime. Don’t bother me. My guns stayed at home and didn’t bother a soul while all this was happening.

• Idonthinkso says:

It’s a shame this happened in my neighborhood. I never answer the door without checking who it is first. If I saw these two, I would of grabbed my pistol and called the police. I’m not a fan of crime, especially when it spills in to my neighborhood.