Causey, McMahon could square off in sheriff primary

Tags: , , ,

Submitted: Sat, 02/08/2014 - 3:36am
Updated: Sat, 02/08/2014 - 3:44am

WILMINGTON, NC (StarNewsOnline.com) — Sid Causey's 2009 retirement paved the way for New Hanover County Sheriff Ed McMahon's ascension.

Now the two men are headed for a Democratic primary showdown on May 6. Causey confirmed Friday evening he will file his candidacy for New Hanover County Sheriff about noon Monday, when the filing period opens.

He had planned to file at that time even before McMahon announced he will file for re-election and hold a press conference Monday at noon at the Board of Elections Office, 230 Government Center Drive.

To continue reading the story, click here.

I will have to give figting for my home county and its people if Causey ever gets elected for anything. If he wins, then I know that the people of New Hanover County are a lost cause.

• Retired Deputy 34 says:

I and 95% of active and retired LEOs agree there needs to be a change at NHSD.

I don’t know if Causey is the right choice, but we all know he needs to get rid of a lot of the issues there that he promoted and have now created a horrible situation for Ed to deal with. We all feel there are some staff members there that at best are incompetent or just lazy and power hungry!
    Whoever wins needs to restructure the absolute sludge of brass that is there and the bad deputies that seem to run rampant there. Try to remember the post several months ago that had our local law enforcement as having more criminal charges and misconduct issues than departments 10 to 15 times our size.

Keep it the way it is if you like leading in embarassing ways! Just our views.

• PublicAvenger says:

I knew Ed McMahon, when he was a rookie, on the Sheriff’s Department. He has always been a hard-working, proven leader. He worked his way to the top. He is a good Christian. He always looks out for his people. The rank and file deputies, and police officers, strongly support him.

• Dan Crouch says:

Why in the world would Causey run for Sheriff.

• LEO 24years says:

This is going to be fun to watch. Backstabber central is at NHSO!

Trust nobody!!!! Let’s see what folks are made of!! Haha!! Can’t wait!
    Some folks free pay checks are in jeopardy for sure. Get rid of the sorry lazy ones.

Love it!!

• Guest, just another says:

Causey is a fool! He lost to BERGER! How in the heck does he think he’ll contribute to this county as a relic of the good old boy past???
    The LAST thing we need is this guy running around again!!!

• Gramps1945 says:

I believe he gets over $60,000 / year from his retired major’s pay.
    I believe he gets over $100,000 / year as a retired 10 year sheriff.
    I believe he gets Social Security ($12,000 / Year)
    I believe he has free Blue Cross.
    And he doesn’t have to lift a finger.

Now he wants to be sheriff, again. And wants another $100,000 / year ?

How much money does this humble, public servant, need ?

• John Hersham says:

I think the issues start at the top and trickle down.
    The current sheriff is allowing bad promotions to run the dept.
    I as well as majority of fellow LEOs in this area feel Ed is a very nice guy, and was a great deputy.

However below him you have a few that while in vice never worked her own cases from begining to end.
    And the next one that only ran mail back and forth everyday in vice.
    Between those two at the top both together may have 30 arrest in their careers.

But remember Causey and McQueen started promoting and protecting idiots. Ed just let’s them make policy.

• jason says:

Just when you thought things couldn’t get more weird.