Bond reduced for Kure Beach man accused of hit & run deaths

Tags: , , , , , , ,

Submitted: Fri, 02/14/2014 - 9:15pm
Updated: Mon, 02/17/2014 - 5:01am

GARNER, NC (WWAY) — The charges and bond have been reduced for a Kure Beach man accused of a hit and run on I-40 last night that killed two Good Samaritans.

Marshall H. Doran, 21, was originally held under $5 million bond for charges including two counts of second degree murder. Today the charges were reduced to two counts of felony death by motor vehicle after a clerical error on the original charges. Doran’s bond was also reduced to $500,000.

Highway Patrol says around 8 p.m. Cardell Gayfield of Clayton was driving a bobtail tractor with no trailer west on I-40 when he spun out of control and came to a stop perpendicular to the road. Gayfield placed reflectors in the road, then tried to move his truck out of the lane of traffic.

Larry Kepley, 39, of Winston-Salem, was driving a tractor-trailer west on I-40 when he saw Gayfield and stopped to help. Nathaniel Williams, 34, a member of the US Navy, and another driver swerved to the right of Gayfield’s truck to avoid a collision, troopers say, sending both cars down an embankment. Williams walked back up the embankment to help.

Highway Patrol says as Kepler and Williams were standing behind the bobtail tractor, Doran hit them, then drove off. Kepley died at the scene, while Williams later died at a hospital.

“It’s just a terrible, terrible tragedy,” Gov. Pat McCrory said today during a news conference on the winter storm. “Two people who are just trying to help lose their lives, and I just want to let their families know how sad we are but how much we appreciate them trying to help people in need.”

According to a news release, the Wake County Sheriff’s Office and Raleigh Police Department quickly set up a perimeter, and a Highway Patrol helicopter came in to help search for Doran. He surrendered to a deputy who found Doran hiding in some woods.

Highway Patrol believes Doran, a college student, was driving under the influence and had drugs in his possession when the crash happened.

“Thought about the commercial that talks about you go and you fight in a war and come back and you’re killed on American soil by a drunk driver, and that was a flash,” said Mildred Hawthorne, a friend of Williams. “This is kind of what happened. He’s helping someone else.”

• ZOOL says:

so his bond is reduced, he gets bonded out to go on and murder two more innocent people, threaten the lives of many more, cause hundreds of thousands of dollars of damage to people’s homes. No, he is not spoiled? You are correct, he is pure evil with ought a heart, a conscience, or any empathy for other human beings. He has now taken FOUR innocent lives!

• Jan S. says:

I do not feel bad for this young man Marshall Doran. He choose what he did. His actions killed 2 very worthy young men who were only at best doing something to help another. If this Marshall Doran was even 1% a decent human he would have NOT HIT & RAN, he would have STOPPED man up and helped those he harmed. That would have been the only HUMANE way to have handled this situation he put himself in and in fact killed two other humans. I do not care whether or not he blew whatever, drank whatever, took whatever pills…the fact is he was a COWARD at best. Yes I am pissed. He killed my cousin. It is very sad that anyone in our justice system allowed such a reduced bond and he gets a taste of freedom when in fact the REAL VICTIMS are dead however both of these men Mr. Williams and Mr. Kepley are no longer in pain, earn their wings and are rejoicing in heaven. May GOD have mercy on Mr. Doran’s soul.

• David P says:

I got it from Chelsea’s post above. I guess I assumed she knew what she was talking about.

• David Perry says:

If he took them without a prescription, or abused his prescription – theh “Yes” – he should be held 100% accountable for his actions. However, if he was seeing a psychiatrist who prescribed this stuff, took it in the dose he was supposed to, and then became increasingly psychotic, then his blame is mitgated to some extent. His psychiatrist (if this were the case) should have been keeping a close eye on psychotic side effects, but obviously didn’t.

• tricia says:

that he is under arrest for arson and killed 2 more peopel on Carolina Beach??? Do yo ustill think he just made a mistake???

• Chelsea says:

If you do further research, he blew under the legal alcohol limit an the “controlled substance” was Aderall that he is prescribed. Also, he gave himself up to the police (some of the reports are saying that he struggled with an officer. I’m not saying that he was right to flee the scene, though I can guarantee he was in shock, but obviously the media is adding things to make him into a “monster”. Marshall is not “spoiled, a redneck, or garbage”. He made a mistake. And I know that all he can think about is what he did and how it is affecting those 2 men’s families.

• crystal says:

Yes, he was just a misunderstood kid, right? How about the fact that this past weekend in Carolina Beach, NC he deliberately started 3 fires at condos that killed 2 women and he is NOW charged with 1st Degree murder? I wonder how his family feels, being that they posted the $50,000 to get him out of jail on the hit and run deaths?

• lizzie says:

It was $500,000 and try to remember when you were that age. Perhaps you did really stupid things. It seems that this kid has lost his mind. Do you think it’s because of the accident?

• lizzie says:

It sounds to me like you may have known this boy. I feel very sorry for him and his family. His life is over, he has just thrown it away completely. DO you think he was so distraught over the accident and terrified about his impending time in jail that he just lost it? Do you think he is on drugs?

• David Perry says:

I live in Carolina Beach. If this guy was high on Adderall when he torched up our community, killed 2 innocent women, and left several families homeless- then maybe Adderall needs to be taken off the market. After a quick google search, it appears that their are thousands of cases where Adderall can cause psychosis. Either this guy was psychotic, or he is the most evil person since Hitler. Something needs to be done!!!

• taxpayer says:

He is not under arrest for arson…suspicion of burglary only…so far.

• WhooptyDoo says:

Where did you see ANY mention of Adderall in this article?

I’m guessing that your brain told you that. I’m also guessing that it told you that because it’s on Adderall.

Nope, don’t blame a drug for what potentially are his actions. That is the same as blaming alcohol for a drunk driver wrecking and killing people. It isn’t the alcohol, it is the choice the person made to consume and then drive.

• Heimie Schmelter says:

…breaking and entering to steal someone else’s property are not “mistakes”, they are cognitive choices, especially when those choices involve the loss of human life!

So he was hopped up on Aderall instead of drunk on alcohol. Taking drugs knowing that you are going to get behind the wheel is a choice, not a mistake. And he should have thought about the potential consequences of his actions before he chose to get behind the wheel.

• taxpayer says:

I’m guessing forks and spoons make people fat?

• MG says:

So “Sick of Guesty,” you are actually defending someone who drank and drove and killed people? YOU are the arrogant freak.

• tricia says:

but leaving the scene and then being involved in arson a few month slater resulting in 2 more lost lives IS Carolina bEach Friday night

• SABRINA says:

To your knowledge your kid has better sense but you have no clue what your kid does when away from you so easy on the “comments’and judgements you make because this could be your child!!! Accidents happen,and you can clearly see 2 other drivers ran off the road.

Darn. Your opinion of me means soooo much to me.

• sickofguesty says:

You are the only one not sick of you.

That punk piece of garbage was either drunk or on drugs and killed two people and then ran away. Try to get a grasp. My child has enough sense not to do drugs or drink & drive. If you are sick of me, don’t read what I post.

No princess, I know my child has enough sense to stay away from drugs. We have an open honest relationship where I’m his parent and still give guidance. Again, this will not be my child. Accidents don’t happen, wrecks do. And wrecks are caused by negligence on somebody’s behalf. The others that wrecked were going too fast for the road & weather conditions.

• Patrick L says:

The purveyors of alcohol sold Marshall Doran, a 21-year-old man, the booze, and Doran lacked the maturity to “drink responsibly”– a laughable statement when young people imbibe.

“Drink responsible” is an admonition issued by the alcohol industry to assuage their guilt for the thousands who are maimed and killed by this poison.

Alcohol is the United States’ Recreational Drug of Choice. When you buy it, you are supporting the U.S. Alcohol Cartel–far worse than the “drug cartel.”

And the admonition not to drink and drive is also laughable. As a restaurant manager for fifteen years, I have seen couple imbibe too much to get behind the wheel. Driving under the influence is a daily habit for many Wilmingtonians.

• Cj says:

So, you’ve been a restaurant owner for fifteen years, and you’re telling me you don’t take precautions to cover your ass just like the alcohol companies (drink limit, calling a taxi for those drunk, etc.). It’s not the responsibility of alcohol companies to monitor what individual’s do with it. If you can’t just have a drink or two and cut yourself off, you don’t need to be doing it. Defending scum who drink and drive, kill people, then flee makes you just as big of a joke. There’s something called vigilance as a driver. The two vehicles and men who spun out happened as the truck spun out. There’s no controlling that. However, everyone else having time to stop and slow down, because the initial man had already set up reflectors and was attempting to clear the road, shouldn’t have been flying by the accident. I hate rubberneckers as much as the next person driving in traffic because of an accident, but this seems like no one was able to go anywhere until they were able to set up the reflectors and move the truck at least out of the one lane. Pay attention while you’re driving. You don’t fly up on an accident like the highways clear. This is about two men getting killed by an ass of society, not about the “alcohol cartels” as you put it.

• Voice of reason says:

The article states clearly that that two other drivers had to swerve to avoid collision with Gayfield’s truck (the kind gentlemen who got out to help). That means, at least to a layman such as my self (I’m not a crime scene investigator), that even sober drivers had to put themselves at risk by driving down an embankment to avoid collision. Even after having to do this one of the drivers put himself at risk by standing behind the vehicle that caused him to swerve off the road. Drunk or not, diligence is due to determine whether the proper safety precautions we’re taking by the victims. My layman’s analysis suggests they did not.

Driving drunk is bad, hit & run is bad. But this young man is not guilty of 2nd murder. It could be involuntary manslaughter at best. There are more then two victims to this story. Doran who obviously has issues with drug & alcohol use is also a victim, along with his family who stand to lose him to life behind bars.

• tricia says:

doran just killed 2 more by arson on Carolina Beach. What do you think of him now? If he was kept behind bars this tragedy may not have happened. Yes mistake happen but hit and run is an indicator of character. Now he killed 2 more people

• Gatekeeper says:

You are blaming the people who were killed for being in his way! Oh I get it, he has Affluenza. Give me his address and I’ll send him an apology letter on behave of all of us who don’t have the money he and his Kure Beach family does.

Marshall H. Doran, 21, is charged with two counts of second degree murder, two counts of driving while intoxicated, felony hit and run, careless and reckless driving and drug possession.

All because of choices he made.

• Kay says:

HE LEFT THE SCENE….UGH

• Kay says:

Weather others had to swerve or NOT. If he was NOT impaired he could have missed the collision, JUST LIKE THE OTHER. DUH. Nuff said. Get a life fool

While I agree that the victims were partly to blame, the man that hit them was already committing a crime by driving while impaired and having drugs in his vehicle. This makes it a lot worse than had he been sober and still ran.

Consider what he is going through? He is going through events he caused. I don’t care what he is feeling, he killed people because of his choices.

• tricia says:

b/c he killed 2 more people on Carolina BEach by Arson on Friday night. So yes maybe their baby is in fact a terrible person. He clearly didn’t’ learn any lesson in February

He brought this on himself. If the family feels bad they have no one to blame but their loved one. He is in his situation because of the choices he made.

• guest000000 says:

Every argument you made in his defense in negated by the fact that HE WAS DRIVING IMPAIRED! It doesn’t matter how many people wrecked there before or after. He chose to drive drunk and it resulted in the death of two innocent people. Is he Evil? Probably not, but he made a poor choice that resulted in two people’s deaths and he must be held responsible. When he chose to drive impaired it is was no longer considered and “accident”. He is DIRECTLY RESPONSIBLE for these deaths. “Misfortunate” (your made-up word, not mine) would apply if he were indeed solely the victim of poor road conditions and bad timing. He lost the right to claim to be a victim of circumstance when he decided to drive drunk. I don’t even fault him for running. He was simply hoping that he could sober up before he got caught, I’m just glad he didn’t kill anyone else after he left the scene.

• tricia says:

he has now killed 2 moe people by arson on Carolina Beach – should he still be given the benefit of doubt????

A man choosing to consume alcohol knowing that he is going to get behind the wheel is not a misfortune. Misfortune is the two dead men who were on the same road with a drunk driver. Regardless of your opinions of what the dead men should or should not have been doing, the simple fact remains that if the drunk had not hit them, then they would still be alive. The drunk driver faces punishment for the choices he made. Those two men are dead because the choices that the drunk driver made.

• Voice of reason says:

He will be found not guilty of 2nd Degree murder on both charges. His others will stand. My question is this, did the truck driver who spun out get charged with reckless driving? Did the two people who swerved off the road get charged with reckless driving? One can’t be because he was absent minded enough to go back to the area he swerved to avoid. Seems to me his death was his own fault considering he knew the danger himself. Some thug this guy is…he encountered the same patch of fresh ice as the other drivers did. He did attempt to get away, which is not good but doesn’t by any means make him evil. Maybe he was in shock. I dealt with lynch mobs like this during the Casey Anthony trial. I kept saying she would not get convicted. She didn’t. The bottom line is drunk or not the road was bad, and the events that preceded what happened verify that fact. He was wrong for running from the scene, and was wrong for driving under the influence. But he is not evil by any stretch of the word. He had an accident ( and several people did that night) he was just misfortunate to have killed two people.

• Heimie Schmelter says:

“…while intoxicated with alcohol and high on drugs. He ran from the scene to leave severely injured bystanders without help that later died from their injuries. He had to be fished out of the woods by the police as he failed to voluntarily turn himself in to the authorities for the crimes he knew he had committed.”

Then your final sentence will contain accuracy. At that point, the people can decide if he was “evil” or not, that isn’t up to you. “Misfortunate” (sic) is hardly appropriate for his actions.

• Voice of reason says:

Sorry I thought I was commenting on a news article. I didn’t know was turning in an essay for school. I will be more careful to ensure that my words are in the websters dictionary.

As a commenter above mentioned, people should read beyond the headlines, and article and do some fact finding themselves before they start bleeding all over the comment section with hate.

I would remind everyone that, in the USA, all individuals enjoy the right to the presumption of INNOCENCE. That’s what makes this country great. It prevents lynch mobs such as this from terrorizing suspects. It forces decisions to be made by facts, not some sensationalized news story.

As I’ve stated previously, Doran has an airtight defense (at least against 2nd degree murder (reduced right after I posted my previous comment), in just the events that transpired before his accident. Namely the tractor that spun out, and the two cars that had to swerve into a ditch to miss Gayfield’s truck.

If we give any of the above mentioned men the benefit of the doubt, then that same benefit should be extended to Doran. His charges were reduced from several charges that included possession, and DUI, to just two counts of felony death by motor vehicle.

That means that he is no longer charged with DUI, or possession. Which translates to HE WAS NOT Driving under the influence.

A crime is a crime, and if we use that logic, then Gayfield was “impeding traffic”, and should of been charged with “reckless driving” and/or “failure to control a motor vehicle.” But if we want to act like one charge holds more weight then the other, we defy an entire history of law, in favor of inequality. A right guaranteed to all Americans

Dorans flight indicates a natural reaction to traumatic event. For those of you who don’t know, the result of a traumatic event is usually shock.

• Guest08031973 says:

May the families of the deceased find comfort in knowing how awesome these men were… I will keep you all in prayer!!!! We should all take this to heart and make sure everyone in our lives, know how much we love them.. as we are reminded today- how quickly life can end here on earth. Be Blessed

• Renee Watkins says:

Thank you so much for your comment. You are so very right. Nathaniel was a GREAT guy and always helped anyone who needed anything! We are going to miss him so very much. Please hug your kids/family every chance you get because you never know when a tragedy like this can happen!! Our family is still in shock that we lost him.

• Tammy says:

Amen could have said it better

• Donna Freeman says:

I am grateful for a heartfelt understanding of the loss in this matter. My son is heartbroken at losing such a good friend and in such a way. Two young men lost their lives and a third, will remain severely injured for what will probably be a very long time. I just want to cry. I have read so many hateful letters and the anger is understandable, but pointless. It seems so clear to me. Extremely poor judgement by a 21 yr old man combined with some sort of substance misuse, incredibly bad road conditions, and just being in the right place at the wrong time led to this terrible event. My heart goes out to all involved.

• anne says:

What is the lawyer going to come up with to defend him? Either he was under the influence or he is just a cold hearted individual! Either way, he has killed two men and utterly devastated the families and friends.

• Toni says:

Prison? Laughable. This dirt bag, redneck punk won’t spend any time in prison, I’d be willing to bet. You watch. Sigh.

• Guest-o-matic says:

They’ll love this little idiot in prison! It take a pretty low worm to do this sort of thing to people and run away from it like that! He deserves everything coming to him!

• Southern Born says:

Yeah, he can visit with your child shooting buddy from Southport, You and Guesty think that young men who make mistakes are garbage, but lying police officers are just all the innocent rave.

Buy a legal substance that alters the mind and kill, you are garbage, Swear to protect the public and shoot a child being held down you are in fear of your life and a fine upstanding citizen.

How can you even comment, go over to the Vassey site and tell us how in fear he was for his life some more. Your the PUNK< THE GARBAGE THE IDIOT>..Commenting on everything without thought or malice. I would love to see your spic and span cleaned closet, probably full of all kinds of nasty VOO-DOO.

• tricia says:

just killed two more people on Carolina Beach this weekend through arson. What do you think of your lost soul now? He clearly didn’t learn form killing 2 people in February

• Alison says:

This is truly a tragic chain events that caused the loss of not only two lives, but three…the lost soul of the this young man. My heart goes out to all of the families involved. However, I am appalled by the choice of words voiced in some of the comments, truly unnecessary and truly sad to see that there is still so much hatred in this world of ours.

It is tragic for the men who lost their lives and their families. This young man should have thought about the potential consequences before he chose to drive while impaired.

Why people still drink (or use drugs) & drive is beyond comprehension. This little punk got drunk or high, decided to drive and killed two people. That wasn’t bad enough, the punk ran away. He is nothing more than common garbage.

• Sick of Guesty says:

Just bide your sweet time until your little kids get to be that age and see if you still call them garbage Guesty FREAK.

• guest5465 says:

Ok, so let me get this straight… you are calling Marshall Doran “common garbage,” and a “punk,” and you don’t even consider what he is going through. For God’s sake he killed 2 people, you think he is not feeling terrible. Marshall’s family is going to read this comment and feel like their child, their baby is a terrible person. How would you feel about that.

You are a idiot if you think that was the write thing to say. Doran’s mother and father are going to read this comment and think, just think how bad it already is having their son responsible for 2 peoples death and then seeing comments like this made by IDIOTS.

“You are a idiot if you think that was the write thing to say.”

The jokes just write themselves. It would be best for you not to call anybody an idiot ever again.

Wearing one black sock and one blue sock is a mistake. Putting salt in a recipe instead of sugar is a mistake. Choosing to consume alcohol, knowing that you are going to get behind the wheel, is a choice, not a mistake. And why do you think that people who are down on this drunk driver support the Southport officer? One has absolutely nothing to do with the other.

Your boy here didn’t make a mistake, he made a choice and that choice cost two people their lives. He committed several crimes yet you think he is great. Perhaps you have missed my many posts about the corruption in WPD. Perhaps you have selective reading comprehension. Maybe you are just slow.

Perhaps you have missed some of my posts bashing officers caught committing crimes. Maybe you have overlooked the fact that committing a crime isn’t a ‘mistake’ but an active choice made by the individual. Feel free to make excuses from criminals, I’ll still call them what they are.

As soon as I’m arrested for committing a crime and make the news, then you can look in all my closets for any perceived voo-doo you think might be in there.

BTW, You’re the PUNK< THE GARBAGE THE IDIOT>..

• Guest-o-matic says:

…with reality! For one, this isn’t about Vassey, this is about a young man that didn’t have the god-given common sense to stay off the icy roads after drinking and drugging up. Guesty and I have no respect for boneless chickens that act in this fashion. He killed the fathers and brothers of two families simply because of his own personal decision (or lack thereof).

I’ll go where I want, I’ll post where I want and will continue to ignore your ignorant ramblings about things which you appear to know very little if anything about. You don’t like what I write, don’t read it. Your ongoing outbursts of anger clearly show you are in need of some sort of “assistance”.

• Ella M. says:

I have also worked in a restaurant, and many couples drink or share a bottle of wine with their meal.

Half a bottle of wine with a meal is too much impairment for driving a vehicle.

Restaurant personnel will not tell diners who have imbibed wine or two or three drinks that they are too impaired to drive. They would be fired immediately.

I agree with the manager: Most diners who drink alcohol with their meals should NOT drive afterwards. Alcohol IS the problem. And it’s getting worse.

• Heimie Schmelter says:

… as it is not true. At this posting, nobody has been charged with Arson or Murder in the Carolina Beach fires. Don’t forget, after charges are filed, there must be a trial and a conviction.

• 9743 says:

Thanks to the Wake County Sheriff’s Office, Raleigh Police Department and the NCHP for setting up a perimeter and quickly apprehending this thug who had just killed two innocent people and then tried to get away, how dare you!!!