Pender Co. family of 6 recovering from carbon monoxide poisoning

Tags: , , , ,

Submitted: Fri, 02/14/2014 - 1:25pm
Updated: Fri, 02/14/2014 - 1:28pm

BURGAW, NC (AP) — A Pender County family of six is recovering from carbon monoxide poisoning after trying to keep warm during a winter storm by bringing a charcoal grill indoors.

Pender County Emergency Management Director Tom Collins said Thursday all six were transported from a home in Currie, an unincorporated community about 20 miles north of Wilmington. He says they were all taken to hospitals and are expected to survive.

Carbon monoxide is an odorless, colorless gas that can kill.

The state’s health agency urged residents who may have lost heat during power outages caused by the weather to leave generators, grills, or other fuel-burning devices outdoors. The Department of Health and Human Services said 400 people die and 20,000 need emergency treatment a year across the country due to carbon monoxide poisoning.

(Copyright 2014 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)

Leave a Reply

5 Comments on "Pender Co. family of 6 recovering from carbon monoxide poisoning"

2015 years 8 months ago

Dickerson, you said it. Hard for me to believe that people are so stupid. They are lucky to be alive, and that they still have a house!

2015 years 8 months ago

The stupidity of people still amazes me. Least no one died. But if they had Darwin would be laughing.

2015 years 8 months ago

You know i asked my 16 year old daughter if she thought bringing a charcoal grill indoors was a good idea. My 16 year old said no you want carbon monoxide poisoning. My 16 year old knew this. These people have no common sense what so ever. Some people scare me of how dumb they really are.

2015 years 8 months ago

it’s carbon monoxide…not carbon dioxide…which is what you exhale when you breathe.

2015 years 8 months ago

I grill m’ burgers inside sometimes during the winter and i ain’t never got no carbon dioxide poisioning, that old man should have opened a window to let some of the stink out!