Gas leak causes home evacuations, road closures

WILMINGTON, NC (WWAY) -- About 12 homes on Pine Valley Drive were evacuated around 5 p.m. Saturday after private contractors accidentally nicked the gas line near S. College Road.

The fire department immediately notified the WPD and the Highway Patrol so they could shut down traffic in the area.

"It's natural gas, so if it had found an ignition source we could have had a possible explosion," said WFD Battalion Chief Rick Pearsall. "Any time we're dealing with natural gas, we've got to be as safe and as cautious as we can."

Both the north and south bound lanes of S. College were blocked while they worked causing heavy congestion.

Piedmont Natural Gas repaired the leak quickly and within about an hour and a half the road was reopened and residents were able to return to their homes.

Disclaimer: Comments posted on this, or any story are opinions of those people posting them, and not the views or opinions of WWAY NewsChannel 3, its management or employees. You can view our comment policy here.

It's even a wonder they allow smoking outside in Wilmington as it's one big Bubbled Gas Leak. Several days a week anyway.