WILMINGTON, NC (WWAY) -- Firefighters say flames caused thousands in damages after two people escaped a burning home in Wilmington early this morning.
Fire crews say the small fire broke out at 2701 Newkirk Avenue just before 2:30 a.m. They say firefighters attacked the flames from the inside, getting the fire under control in just minutes.
Two residents were inside when the home caught fire, but both were able to safely escape. Fire crews say one person was treated for smoke inhalation at the scene and was taken to the hospital as a precaution.
Fire investigators say the fire sparked in the kitchen area, leaving behind about $25,000 in damages from the flames and smoke. Crews are still looking into what may have caused the fire.