make WWAY your homepage  Become a fan on facebook  Follow us on twitter  Receive RSS Newsfeeds  MEMBERS: Register | Login

Wilmington City Council approves $800k for extra storm clean-up

READ MORE:
 

WILMINGTON, NC (WWAY) -- Wilmington City Council gave the green light Tuesday night for additional money for storm debris cleanup.

City Council unanimously approved a resolution for an additional $800,000 to pay private haulers to remove debris from last month's ice storm. This will bring the total cleanup cost to $1.4 million.

The additional money is due to a miscalculation in the original amount of debris that would need to be removed. The city says staff did not factor in backyard debris in the original estimate.

Disclaimer: Comments posted on this, or any story are opinions of those people posting them, and not the views or opinions of WWAY NewsChannel 3, its management or employees. You can view our comment policy here.

»

Who knew?

I have learned something new today, houses in Wilmington have backyards. Who would have thunk it? That explains the area out my backdoor.

Our City Staff

"The additional money is due to a miscalculation in the original amount of debris that would need to be removed. The city says staff did not factor in backyard debris in the original estimate."

And the consequences of this will be?
1: Promotions
2: Pay Raises
3: A luncheon paid for by us, the taxpayers, for all of the hard work
our staff put in during this "trying" time.

It's comforting to know that the Peter Principle is alive and well within the halls of Wilmington City Government offices.