0 Comments for this article

Tags: , , , ,

wway-ads-zone5

WILMINGTON, NC (WWAY) — A gas leak at 17th and Grace streets forced residents to evacuate their homes for about an hour this morning.

The Wilmington Fire Department says an investigation found a CFPUA crew removing asphalt accidentally ruptured the line because it was very shallow. No fines were assessed.

The fire department said responders secured a two-block area around the leak as a precaution, but those in a one-block radius had to evacuate.

Michael O’Connell says he was fast asleep when he heard someone pounding on his door.

“Well, I haven’t had my morning coffee, the dog wants to go back to bed, it’s cold out here, and where are my neighbors?” O’Connell said.

He was eventually allowed back into his home. Police and fire crews cleared the scene soon after. The gas company’s maintenance crew remained on scene to fix the two-inch main.

Comment on this Story

wway-ads-zone39

Related News

blue police light
3 days ago
0 Comments for this article
Police looking for ‘Walgreens whisper robber’
Read More»
Devin Leon Brunson -- Photo: New Hanover Co. Jail
3 days ago
0 Comments for this article
WPD: Traffic stop ends in felony drug charges
Read More»
Garage fire on 43rd Street. (Photo: Sarah Johnson/WWAY)
4 days ago
0 Comments for this article
No one hurt in Wilmington garage fire
Read More»