0 Comments for this article

Tags: , , , , , ,

WILMINGTON, NC (WWAY) — One woman was hospitalized after her downtown home was destroyed by a fire Saturday morning.

The historic Allen-Woodward house was engulfed in flames when the Wilmington Fire Department arrived just before 7 a.m.

Crews managed to extinguish the fire on S. 3rd Street after about two hours, fully clearing the scene around 9:15 a.m.

Damages to the three story home built in 1886 are estimated at more than $100,000.

Battalion Chief T. W. Smith says the blaze seems to have started in the living room and they are ruling it as accidental.

According to Chief Smith, the occupant hospitalized for smoke inhalation has since been released from New Hanover Regional.

The fire claimed the life of one cat

No other injuries were reported.

Comment on this Story

Related News

Make-a-Wish throws a wish granting party for a local teen (Photo: Sarah Johnson/WWAY)
2 days ago
0 Comments for this article
Local teen gets Make-a-Wish trip
Read More»
FIRE GENERIC
6 days ago
0 Comments for this article
Candle causes Wilmington house fire overnight
Read More»
fire
1 week ago
0 Comments for this article
Several animals killed in nature center fire
Read More»