Candidate supporters zip tie signs to road signs

Tags: , , , ,

Submitted: Mon, 04/28/2014 - 9:41pm
Updated: Wed, 05/07/2014 - 1:15pm

NEW HANOVER COUNTY, NC (WWAY) — As we get closer to next week’s primary, streets are covered with campaign signs.

Dr. Derrick Hickey’s supporters got creative and zip tied some of his to street signs.

NCDOT says the law says a sign cannot be on road signs, but because Hickey’s signs have metal stakes planting them into the ground and the ties are used as stability, it’s all interpretation of the law.

“We see very few that are hard and fast illegal out there. If those signs are out there and they are placed in a way that promotes a safety hazard, then yes, we will remove them,” said Jerry Taylor of the NCDOT.

Hickey said if any signs were secured in a way inconsistent with the law, it was done unintentionally.

• Letfreedomring! says:

Hmmmm. Let me see…which would I prefer, campaign signs from multiple candidates running in a free election where I have the right to choose “my” candidate, or something like Russian or Iranian elections where I have no choice? I say bring on the signs–they are tangible proof of a free country. But make sure you take them down within the time limit prescribed by law.

• TWilson8742 says:

Signs are technically state property (under the Dept of Transportation), NOT the city’s. The city has no role in it. The county has no role in it. And the DOT has said it’s fine.

And I’m not sure why anyone would be more in favor of allowing other candidates to use a campaign strategy of tearing down other candidate’s signs to advance their own. That’s ridiculous. But it is politics, plain and simple.

If you have a problem with zip-ties so a sign stays in place, and that is how you determine your vote…then YOU are the reason that we have the pathetic politicians we have. You know, the ones who tear down and deface other people’s signs to get elected.

Of all the nonsense that goes on over there, and you people want to hone in on a man attaching his signs to a sign post to keep them from getting stolen. No wonder New Hanover County and Wilmington keep re-electing the same idiots. Your priorities are screwed up.

• Timekeeper says:

One thing I totally dislike about election time is the litter, in the form of signs all over the landscape. Candidates should be allowed only one sign per quarter mile instead of clusters. They should also have to pay a per sign fee which is returned when the election is over and the signs are removed.

• 1492 says:

Why am I not so sure that when these signs are finally removed, the plastic ties will just be cut and left to fall on the ground?

I am totally against this!

• jj says:

I wonder if they would remove this sign.

Re-elect no one
    used cars for sale
    call BR549

It is a political sign

• Tracie C says:

Why any of these candidates are allowed to place those tacky signs that make our city look like crap is beyond me. Does the city council think this is acceptable? Obviously, since nothing is done to change it.
    I have the “one that got away”, or at least what’s left of it, after the wire stakes got tangled in my tire rim because it was in the road the other day.
    Will the candidate pay for my tire if it’s ruined by one of these signs?
    And if the signs are allowed to be zip tied to street signs does this mean any taxpayer can do the same with yard sale signs?

• beach guy says:

Hmm, this guy wants to be commissioner yet he wants to interpret the law does this sound familiar? look you jerk your job as an elected official would be to ENFORCE the law not enforce as you see fit aka the aca ,epa,irs sheesh! man you just need to fold up your tent we have enough of your type in government now we are trying to get rid of we do not need anymore whom think they can turn a phrase and change a law to suit their personal needs after all you are trying to a servant of the people and asking us to put our trust in you and you want to wiggle out of something as simple as a dot rule what will you do when you have actual power?

• Vog46 says:

Better take those signs down.
    The city cannot “support” any candidates in the election, and street signs are city property.

I think this calls for a useless lawsuit…….

Chefnsurf? Would you represent me? “Pro bono” of course. (I know you’re a “pro” and Sonny Bono is dead and Bono himself is on tour)

No city “support” for any elected officials !!!!!

I know, I know “Vog, here’s your sign”……..

Vog