make WWAY your homepage  Become a fan on facebook  Follow us on twitter  Receive RSS Newsfeeds  MEMBERS: Register | Login

Grease fire causes $25,000 in damages


WILMINGTON, NC (WWAY) -- Wilmington Fire Department says an early morning fire claimed the kitchen of a family's home after grease was overheated on the stove.

WFD crews responded to a call on 1115 S. 9th St. around 3:30 AM.

The first unit arrived within seven minutes and were able to extinguish the fire in less than 15.

The blaze was contained to the kitchen but smoke damages extended throughout the home.

Damages were estimated at $25,000.

The family is staying with nearby relatives.

No one was injured.

Disclaimer: Comments posted on this, or any story are opinions of those people posting them, and not the views or opinions of WWAY NewsChannel 3, its management or employees. You can view our comment policy here.