5 Comments for this article

Tags: , ,

Wilmington, NC (WWAY)– Just before 6:00 this evening folks at the Colonial Grand Apartments watched as Wilmington fire department and the New Hanover fire department attacked a fire on the bottom floor of one of the buildings.

Some say this has become an all too familiar sight.

Just yards away ashes are all that remain in two units of another building. Fire claimed these apartments in January.

Investigators say Sunday’s blaze was an accidental electrical fire and it began in the kitchen.
Residents watching the clean up still feel uneasy.

Resident of seven years Brian Reynolds says, maybe it’s time to move.

“Two fires in six months… That’s not good. They’re gonna be lowering some rent or people are gonna start moving I’m sure.”

Reynolds kicked in the door in an effort to save the dog trapped inside after noticing smoke coming from the apartment.

The dog did not survive the fire.

Investigators estimate around $60,000 worth of damage.

Comment on this Story

Leave a Reply

5 Comments on "Apartment complex sees two fires in six months, residents uneasy"


Vog46
2015 years 8 months ago

Right now they can charge what they want but there’s at least 4 projects slated to bring hundreds of new apartments to the market within the next year or two….
As for the fires, one was caused by a resident and the other is electrical which could be caused by a resident or the wiring in the building itself, we just don’t know.
But I doubt they’d lower the rent given the circumstances…..

Vog

amain11
2015 years 8 months ago

Do any of you commenting on this news story live in this apartment community? Probably not. I do. They only got one person on camera because the maintenance staff asked the camera crew and news person from WWAY to leave because they were trespassing. I live in an apartment that I am getting ready to move from. I have all kinds of issues in it, including electrical issues. So yes, people are uneasy. No answers or reasons have been given to the residents as to what or why this fire happened. We only get what has been in the news. Until you’re in situation, maybe some comments shouldn’t be made.

Guestomfg
2015 years 8 months ago

Jan fire was caused by a cigarette, how is this the apartments fault? Residents want to move? LOL

Wilmington Observer
2015 years 8 months ago

The residents don’t want to move, they want to use these incidents to get a discount on their monthly rent. Actually, only one resident went on record saying as much.

Wilmington Observer

8844
2015 years 8 months ago

Two fires, one from a cigarette and one from an accidental electrical fire and the residents are uneasy with the complex’s management? The fires were somehow a management problem?

One person quoted and from that we’re to construe that the “residents” are uneasy? Really?

Stories that make you go hmmm …

 

Related News

A 90-year-old man saved his bride of 68 years from a fire, after lightning struck their home.
2 weeks ago
0 Comments for this article
90-year-old man saves wife from fire
Read More»
outerbanks
3 weeks ago
0 Comments for this article
Oceanfront homes destroyed in Outer Banks fire
Read More»
Fire
3 weeks ago
0 Comments for this article
Fire in Pisgah National Forest grows to 375 acres
Read More»