make WWAY your homepage  Become a fan on facebook  Follow us on twitter  Receive RSS Newsfeeds  MEMBERS: Register | Login

Murder charges dropped, Wilmington man released


WILMINGTON, NC (WWAY) -- A Wilmington man has been released from jail after first-degree murder charges against him were dropped.

Wilmington Police arrested and Markee George, 26, June 24, in the shooting death of Aaron McGhee, 47, June 13. Investigators say they arrested George after a witness came forward and identified him as one of the men involved in the home invasion and homicide. A few days later police say they got some key information from other witnesses who refused to come forward initially.

"When we received this information we asked the District Attorney's office to drop the charges immediately against Mr. George," Police Chief Ralph Evangelous said in a statement.

George left jail Friday, police say.

Evangelous says it's important for witnesses come forward and share as much information as possible so justice can be served.

Zeer Nifis Cannady, 20, of Wilmington, remains in jail charged with McGhee's murder, but police believe there are other suspects involved in the shooting.

If you have information about this case contact the Wilmington Police Department at (910) 343-3609 or use your Text-A-Tip text CRIMES(274637) then type Tip708 and your message.

Disclaimer: Comments posted on this, or any story are opinions of those people posting them, and not the views or opinions of WWAY NewsChannel 3, its management or employees. You can view our comment policy here.


Aaron McGhee helped bring

Aaron McGhee helped bring crack into this town, in the late 80's. He was a bully, who ruined other people's lives. He was evil. Nevertheless, his murder was wrong.

A family member or friend of

A family member or friend of his was talking about how he had turned his life around and was a different man when he died. Considering that his last conviction was approximately eighteen years ago, I would tend to agree.