19 Comments for this article

Tags: , , , , , , ,

WILMINGTON, NC (WWAY) — Officials are keeping a tight grasp on information as the investigation into the death of former Brunswick County Sheriff Ron Hewett continues.

The 51-year-old died in the New Hanover County Jail Saturday shortly after sources say he was tased. Meanwhle, the SBI investigation moved forward with an autopsy in Greenville today, but some key information is still sealed.

ATF agents arrested Hewett Wednesday after executing a search warrant at his house in Supply. It is still unclear who or what may have tipped off agents to get the warrant. Even though the former sheriff is dead, the federal search warrant remains sealed for now.

Hewett’s son Justin works for the Columbus County Sheriff’s Office. We reached out to him, but the Sheriff’s Office says he is out and does not know when he will be back.

The family has not made any funeral arrangements yet according to the funeral home set to handle things, most likely because medical examiners are doing an autopsy on Hewett.

We also reached out to former District Attorney Rex Gore, who fought to remove Hewett from office back in 2008. He has not returned our phone calls.

We also met with William Peregoy, Hewett’s attorney, who said he did not have time to make a comment today.

Brunswick County sheriff John Ingram, who replaced Hewett, only commented that his thoughts and prayers are with Hewett’s family and friends.

Comment on this Story

19 Comments on "More questions than answers in Hewett’s jailhouse death"

Dan Hester
2015 years 9 months ago

I just learned today of my old friend’s death. A former state trooper told me about it today, and I am deeply saddened. I don’t know what happened to Ron since I left Wilmington years ago. I only saw him once in the last ten years.
I do know that when I knew him well, he was a dear friend. He always treated me with respect as I did him. My tears are for the friend I have lost. I do not pass judgment on his life. We should let God do that. Goodbye Ron, I loved you.

Carolyn Garner
2015 years 9 months ago

Why in the world would you be SO cold to go to his sons job. Do you really think he is not mourning. Leave the family ALONE. Don’t you think that they hadn’t been through enough????? How cold!! Do you need ratings that bad? Rest in peace Ronald. May God bless his family.

Sylvia
2015 years 9 months ago

If the truth is to come out, someone needs to investigate this other than the SBI. They are just a part of the “good old boy” network and will find nothing wrong. Something did happen…it has been handled incorrectly starting with the arrest last Wednesday!

SurfCityTom
2015 years 9 months ago

Sheriff McMahon. He gave some extended comments to the other outlet detailing some of what transpired; who was present; and why the arrest was initially made.

And to think he’s up for re-election.

anonymous
2015 years 9 months ago

Let’s be real folks. We all know that What Ron was busted for in 2008 was bogus charges He, along with anyone in authority, has dirt on their hands. He just managed to tick off the wrong people in 2008 and his house of cards fell down. This time …. a hit was taken out. Plain and simple. I feel sorry for him and his family. My prayers go to them.

Disgusted Father
2015 years 9 months ago

His attorney William “Billy” Peregoy didn’t have time to give a comment probably because he is to busy taking money from his clients that are Child Sex Offenders..

guest123123
2015 years 9 months ago

Especially the ones who pay out of there own pocket. Bill Peregoy is a good attorney either if you are guilty of a crime or falsely accused. If you ever get falsely accused of any crime he would be a good person to have on your side. I have worked several cases for him as a PI and the man knows what he is doing.

Guest 009
2015 years 9 months ago

Rest your soul now Ron. Those in the Brunswick County Sheriffs Office(And we all know who they are) that you gave jobs to, promoted to Sergeants, Lieutenants and Captains cannot hurt you or your family anymore. You will always be my Sheriff.

Shocked
2015 years 9 months ago

Your spot on with this comment ! All of the uppers are just as guilty !! This whole deal is unbelievable ! Tasers in a jail,,? Who carries tasers ? Your uniformed officers do ..,, road deputies,,, so with that being said ,, who knows if the truth will ever really be known,, this is a very terrible crime and I bet no one will pay the price for this ! Prayers are being sent to the family and may Ron RIP

Guest2020
2015 years 9 months ago

As much as Ron Hewett loved being in the spotlight, I believe he would have insisted on a trial to prove to the public that he was innocent, if he had been innocent.

Guest2020
2015 years 9 months ago

You mean the “bogus” charges to which he pleaded guilty?

bogus charges
2015 years 9 months ago

Just because you plead guilty to something dosent mean u r. If ur looking at 10-12 and they give you 2 & your attorney has the slightest bit of discomfort about going to trial you take the plea. Innocent people are found guilty and serve time everyday going to trial for crimes they never committed . Just saying

RealityBites
2015 years 9 months ago

… and quacks like a duck, it’s probably a duck. Just saying …

Michelle King
2015 years 9 months ago

His own children and wife turned him in why would they grieve this is exactly what they wanted

Irritated Native
2015 years 9 months ago

With all that being said – why does the news continue to stir the pot? For goodness sakes – the man is dead and regardless of anyone’s opinion about him, what he did, what he didn’t do, who tipped off the feds and on and on and on – let his family mourn in peace. We can’t always help or explain why loved ones do what they do, but it doesn’t mean you love them any less – you just don’t like the things they do. I wish everyone would just show some compassion and let the family grieve. Let them have a few moments to themselves, without the news media and all of those that claim to know everything making a bad situation more difficult. Geesh people – did you just forget about common decency?

2015 years 9 months ago

I couldn’t agree more, let this family bury their son, brother, father, uncle fishing buddy and I am sure the list could go on for days. He will have to account for what he has done. Just wish someone had a pair of brass balls to see how much moneies were take from ILLEGAL GAMBLING parlors was every truly account for by New Hanovers finest. Tapes don’t lie boyssssssssssssssssss

Ru

Smith
2015 years 9 months ago

Rest old FRIEND!! You will always be remembered by ME and MY family.I PRAY “PEACE” to the Hewett Family.

Guest2020
2015 years 9 months ago

Apparently, not everyone should have the right to an attorney. What people don’t seem to grasp is that attorneys don’t necessarily agree with what their clients have done, but they are paid to do a job and some are better at it than others.

Homie Da Clown
2015 years 9 months ago

Guest 123123 that’s what makes this country the best! Yes you are correct in your statement that everyone has a right to an attorney regardless if your being accused of being a child sex offender, a pervert, a pedophile, a rapist, peeping tom, indecent liberties with a child, a child molester or even an abuser of a handicap person. Call “Billy Boy” P. He will defend you then when your in custody he will be to busy to give a comment..