Wilmington woman facing several charges for hitting, killing moped driver

Tags: , , , , ,

Submitted: Mon, 07/21/2014 - 1:11pm
Updated: Tue, 07/22/2014 - 1:18pm

WILMINGTON, NC (WWAY) — A Wilmington woman faces several charges after police say she hit and killed a man on a moped and drove off before calling dispatchers to turn herself in.

Wilmington Police say it happened around 3 a.m. Saturday in the 2600 block of Market Street. That’s where officers say Stephanie Wells, 22, hit a man on a moped. Officers say they found Michael J. Rankin on the side of the road there, dead.

Police say witnesses saw Wells drive away from the scene where she hit Rankin, but officers say she later called 911 to report the crime and turn herself in. Wells is charged with death by motor vehicle, hit and run and DWI.

79 Comments on "Wilmington woman facing several charges for hitting, killing moped driver"

angel malpass
2015 years 8 months ago

Sorry for your loss. I know a few out here in the country. Some have past and some so they can survive more efficiently. My nephew at 16 drove one from maple hill to Currie just to see his girlfriend. Now wife. Now I would not mind one but. I drive a tractor mowing the roadside and I have been almost hit plenty. Its a shame. Just slow down and save a life.

wendy rankin
2015 years 8 months ago

he was walking his scooter so get your storey straight

wendy
2015 years 8 months ago

I am the sister of Michael james rankin who did the right thing by walking and not driving…Stephanie chose to drive intoxicated so this is all her fault and I have no compassion for her may God never forgive her

wendy rankin
2015 years 8 months ago

Could you please find me the da number

Guest2020
2015 years 8 months ago

So, because she has only had minor offenses in her history she should get off, and Michael deserved to die because he had a DWI conviction thirteen years ago? Would she be more guilty of killing a person with no criminal history?