NC gay marriage ban faces uncertain future

Tags: , , , , , , , ,

Submitted: Tue, 07/29/2014 - 3:39am
Updated: Tue, 07/29/2014 - 12:45pm

WILMINGTON, NC (WWAY) — North Carolina’s attorney general has decided to stop fighting for the state’s gay marriage ban. This comes after a federal appeals court ruled that Virginia’s same-sex marriage ban is unconstitutional.

The North Carolina attorney general says there’s no argument left to be made. Roy Cooper has been an avid opponent of North Carolina’s same-sex marriage ban, but as attorney general has defended it.

“Our attorneys have vigorously defended North Carolina’s marriage law, which is their job, but today we know our law almost surely will be overturned as well,” Cooper said Monday. “Simply put, it’s time to stop making arguments we will lose, and instead move forward, knowing that the ultimate resolution will likely come from the United States Supreme Court.”

Activists here in Wilmington say they are thrilled.

“Ecstatic at the speed with which the tide has been turning,” said Ryan Burris, President of Cape Fear Equality, “not only regionally, or here in North Carolina, but nationally as well.”

The North Carolina Values Coalition responded to the decision today.

“It is outrageous that federal judges put themselves in the place of God by seeking to redefine the very institution that He created,” said Tami Fitzgerald, North Carolina Values Coalition Executive Director. “Two judges sitting in Richmond have erroneously found a ‘fundamental right’ to same-sex marriage, thus overriding the will of the people of Virginia, who voted to pass their marriage amendment by 57 percent to 43 percent.”

As it stands North Carolina’s ban remains the same.

• The Sheriff says:

Same sex marriage was already voted on by North Carolinias and 64% majority voted in opposition of same sex marriage.

Thus meaning, regardless of what some court may rule in favor of or against, they don’t want same sex marriage in their state.

Majority rule.

• guest 1980 says:

No matter the subject …..the unconstitutional thing is a panel of judges over ruling the will of the majority of North Carolinians ….that’s what the problem should be….imagine if the vote had turned out pro gay marriage and a minority of anti gay marriage people had that overturned….it would not be fair……the state should place a time frame in its constitution for a revote(ie..7years)..that seems fair to both sides and maybe the monarchy of the USA would have a harder time ruling against the states wishes …..I could care less what someone else does with their life as long as it doesn’t affect my life and I’m able to voice my opinion without retribution…its a libertarian view….middle of the row opinion just trying to be fair to each other.

• Hawke says:

NC voted on this once already and the decision is final!

• suspicious 1 says:

Ben, are you a Baptist minister or just a deacon?

• Erlkoenig says:

Cooper is demonstrating a trait he has in common with homosexuals. He is too girly to put up a fight.

• Daniel Seamans says:

…regarding deleted posts. For the few people who don’t see their comments, please know that a couple of them had great comments/thoughts for debate and ruined it with profanity. A constructive comment with a word that rhymes with luck or spit(and you know the words I’m referencing) will have to be deleted.
    We really appreciate y’all commenting. Just keep it clean.
    Thank you.
    -Daniel

• The Sheriff says:

Should it be illegal for atheist to get married? In the eyes of Our Lord, yes. They should be denied that same privilege for their non-belief.

I can’t answer way all Christians are not rallying against atheist denying them the same privilege but I would cast my vote supporting that just the same as I did against same sex marriage.

I am curious as to what gay folk really think they are missing out on? Because respect can’t be legislated or conferred as a court ruling?

Personally, I hope states give some consideration into doing away with all perks or benefits into getting married and make getting married like climbing Mount Everest…i.e. damn near impossible. That way the divorce rates would drop by making couples take a good hard look at their relationship and ask themselves are they as committed as they think they are or is it just an impulse?

• The sheriff says:

Since you didn’t enter any evidence supporting your allegation or claims, my guess Is YOU HAVE NO ARGUMENT other than some baseless opinion against ions and centuries of recorded events, traditions and or accepted customs.

• leanne kirby says:

I’m a 30 year old bisexual woman living in nc. I’ve had serious long term relationships with both men and women at different times in my life. Should that mean that if the person I decide to marry is another woman we have to move out of state? If that person turns out to be a man I guess we could stay. I’m sure others are in this predicament–the thought of having to choose between leaving the home I love and the person I love is unfair……

• Vog46 says:

toughest parts of this argument is two fold actually.
    America was founded on the concept of freedoms – of speech, press, religion and other types of freedom, and equality for all. We welcome all who attempt to come here.
    As a Christian I understand that God defined marriage for me as between me and my wife. I adhere to the concepts and enjoy it tremendously. As an American I do have to understand that others may think differently, and that they have every right to American equality as I do, whether I believe in what they’re doing, or not. And while I may be against gay marriage as a Christian I CAN NOT deny that freedom to others, Why? Make the assumption that the majority of NC voters is NOT Christian and you’ll see why. What about denying Christians their rights? Put the shoe on the other foot.
    This republic has survived as blacks got their rights, and as women got theirs as well, and, although we Christians may blanche at the thought of gay marriage, we also have to recognize the rights of others, whether we agree with them or not. Many people came here to escape oppression, yet we try to to oppress a segment of society under the guise of religion, which is the antithesis of why the country was founded, which was freedom of oppression, of any kind.
    Since this argument includes Federal recognition (for tax purposes) it does have a federal slant to it, so I am not sure if in fact this is truly and exclusively a state’s rights argument.
    It is a very unsettling subject but one that shows that our founding fathers did understand that we needed a third party to help us through some tough arguments. Voters can be wrong and as far as this goes we can be wrong about legal opinion and the guarantees granted by our constitution.
    While I don’t agree with the court’s ruling, I can see why Cooper does not want to pursue this.
    And I thank God I live in this country, where this can happen.

Vog

• Ben Rivenbark says:

Don’t let a bunch of queer’s ruin every one’s day. All they are doing is fishing in the waters to see what legal fool they can catch. Let them go on and make a darn fool of themselves. They’re queer and will always be queer. I wouldn’t waste the time of day on them.

• Triston says:

I just want share my story. I was a practicing homosexual for 28 years. There are many glamorous sides that people only see that makes the scene look good but there is a dark side that no one speaks of and never mentions. I use to be on the side chanting gay marriage and equality however after my relationship ended with my last boyfriend I concluded that gay relationships just don’t work no matter how many times I’ve lied to myself and tried to make it work, none of them lasted, all have cheated and all have lied. It wasn’t about the relationship, it was about the sex and the lust. Drug fueled parties and drinking to runaway from the guilt and shame . Domestic violence and fights. For some reason I kept telling myself i’d meet the right guy only to see the same routine with every single guy I’ve partnered with.

After I walked away from the gay lifestyle and have gone back to church , God has opened my eyes to see that I was living a very sinful life of sexual immorality and drug addiction. I had suicidal moments but my entire life has now been changed.

I live a much happier life than ever and without God & Jesus Christ I would still be stuck in that loop of going out to the gay bars every night looking for a hookup and partying in the scene.

I’ve cleaned my life with God and Jesus Christ and now I also was able to see things from a different point of view. God is merciful and forgiving and that lifestyle was disastrous and a cursed life preying on men night after night chasing a hopeless lie.

God loves the sinner, hates the sin. Maybe you won’t believe but maybe in time you will see the same thing I see now after living through that experience. That’s my story.

• suspicious 1 says:

I might agree with you if North Carolina would ever emerge from the fifteenth century.

• SurfCityTom says:

that he is planning a run for Governor in 2016.

• Deep breaths says:

That’s the argument you’re going with? That Christians own marriage and no one else is allowed to play? Look it up, Oh Wise One: marriage predates Christianity by thousands of years. But the truth is it doesn’t matter, as we have this nifty thing here called the separation of church and state. But let me guess, you think that’s totally archaic, irrelevant, and due for abolition?

• Guesteasy says:

Apparently you do not know many gay people. I know lesbians and gay men who could kill you barehanded.

NC should definitely stop fighting this. People who want to deny minority groups the same basic rights that they enjoy, always…and I repeat ALWAYS, end up on the wrong side of history.

• burgerboy says:

I’m not even religouse myself and I am heterosexual but I say most of the gay population doesn’t even want to get married really, I think they just want to stir up trouble and have something to cry abot, like how their “rights” are getting busted up because they want to cause some drama b/c they are “drama queen’s”, and furthermore you could give them all the rights in the world and they would still be crying abot how we do not have a lesbion president and whatever else they could think of in their degenerate minds to be a victim, b/c u know that no one really gives a rip if there are homosexuals running around doing whatever they do as long as they dont get up in normal ppls face with it and keep it in there bedrooms, most everyone is fine with that but then they have them discusting gay pride parades wherein they run down the street half naked and have discusting parade floats showing male genitillia’s and such just because they want to flaunt their sexuality and be a special little snowflake and cause a scene and make normal ppl uncomfortable, but i dont mind that they made gays in the military legal, they need to let them go to war and get blown up and shot for a change and let the heterosexual folk sit around and do nothing like they did for so long!!!

• Guestomfg says:

Want to bet?

I can never tell if you’re really as stupid as you seem or if it’s all a very clever act. Oh, well. Either way, you certainly are a “special” individual.

Nothing unconstitutional about overruling the will of the majority when they are infringing upon the rights of a minority to enjoy the same basic freedoms of said majority.

• Guestfree4all says:

Maybe a just a redneck bitter old guy.

• DoDGuy says:

Straight and gay service men and service women have been serving in the United States military, side by side, with the same level of duty and honor for an untold number of years. The repeal of DADT didn’t usher in a new era of gay recruits. So, gay service men and women HAVE been serving in war zones and HAVE lost their lives protecting the freedoms that every American citizen enjoys. Your last portion of your run on sentence is completely disrespectful to service members, straight and gay, and to the families who have lost love ones.

• Rog B says:

This is the same reply I get from my religious friends and family when I pose the same logical question…nada

• LiveNLetLive says:

The best way to save marriage is to put a law in place that outlaws divorce. Gays don’t pose a threat to your “Christian marriage.” You as adults who can’t get along pose the only threat to your marriage or the “disintegration of the family unit.”
    The divorce rate in the church at large is equal to that of “the world” as many Christians wish to refer to it.

The corrupt state senators Tom Tillis and Thom Goolsby introduced Amendment One to North Carolina’s ballot during a Republican primary in 2012. It was to bring out the Republican vote and to secure their majority as Republicans in the state senate. They knew they could win this because white Christian voters would come out in droves and vote for them and for Amendment One. The strategy worked. It was also a strategy which would later be used to suppress black voters in shutting down polling places in rural black communities and by cutting back the hours at voting polls wherein blacks cast their vote.
    Many of these Republicans are nothing but anti-black, anti-individual, and want to create a state religion. Someone had to do the right thing. I applaud the judges for their common sense approach and interpreting the constitution in the manner in which they did.
    Please remember that in the last few hundred years Christians used the bible to state that it was right to own slaves. There was also a day and time wherein many Christians said that a black person was not a whole person. We really want these people making decisions for the Americans ? Not I said the wolf.

• Rog B says:

I have a lot of family and friends who are not only opposed to gay marriage but find gays reprehensible in general, and it is always due to religious beliefs. So I guess my question is this; if you hold true to the values that homosexuality is a sin and they are therefore damned to eternal hell then fine, but really why do you care? It’s not like it affects your own chances of getting into heaven, am I wrong? Seriously if someone can please explain the mentality I would appreciate it, because it seems to me like hating someone else for eating a piece of cake with the rationality that it’s wrong since you are on a diet.

• Guest Reply Redux says:

You mean the 14th don’t you?

• The Sheriff says:

Why not?

They freed the slaves and gave amnesty to millions of illegals.

Why can’t each and every amendment be undone?

Our founding fathers were smart enough to know and understand that if we made mistakes, we can always undo them.

Same sex marriage has zero to do with love has everything to do with wanting to feel validated like some high school girl on her first prom date.

So I will ask again, what do the gay folks really think they are missing out on?

The only way to make it fair and even across the board for everyone is to take away all benefits and perks of being married.

• The Sheriff says:

Pretty simple actually. The gay folk believe getting “married” is obviously some sort of inalienable right or they are beating that drum.

Fact is, getting “married” is a privilege, as an institution under God, for holy matrimony between a woman and a man. So yes, gay folk should be denied the privilege of holy matrimony.

The gay folk are just devaluing a sacred tradition. Nothing more.

• guest 1980 says:

Why is it OK to use the word redneck and it not be derogatory?…..

• Erlkoenig says:

NC is home to the banking center of the south. The top clinical research organization in the world is located in NC. Fourth and sixth are here too. Two of the premier medical universities in America are in NC. NC State houses one of the top Engineering and Design schools.

If you two clowns don’t like your 14th century environment then get of of yours houses.

You’re confusing technological advancement with acceptance of deviant behavior.

• Deep breaths says:

Christians did not invent, nor do they own, the concept of marriage. How do you people still not get that? If your argument regarding state law comes from the bible (or any other religious text), YOU HAVE NO ARGUMENT.

• Guest Reply Redux says:

Erlkoenig wrote and I quote:
    “If you two clowns don’t like your 14th century environment then get of of yours houses” (Unquote) (I Googled that statement…and it locked up my hard drive)

First off…your statement doesn’t reflect any intellect of your mentioned *higher education organizations* in NC, so apparently you aren’t associated in that field.

Secondly…pin pointing Wilmington (only), since the thread statements here are made from more locals than not (myself excluded…I got out of my housessss)…most of these higher achievements made within the state of NC, from what I remember of Wilmington…had no bearing on your town.
    (I.E.)
    Thirdly…You have one of the worse local governments, governing a failed infrastructure, and the citizens of Wilmington apparently continue to promote the housing of these so called leaders, so to continue to do so.

Fourthly…although the banking/medical field/technology & engineering advancement *have* made an outstanding foothold in *Northern NC*, your particular area still has some of the lowest paying/non professional jobs available, for a city the size of Wilmington hands down, only as real estate and very little industry has become prominent in your area for years. Maybe that’s why so many of your citizens want to know how much someone else is being paid on the job!
    By the way…Mother Nature put your beaches there…not your personal achievements.

Fifthly…Your crime rate(s) seem to flourish weekly, according to your local news, as crime rates are usually reported as “Reduced” in some far fetched statistic, for only a blind man to understand. Seems some of your court Judges aren’t on their game with authority to curtail repetitive offenders…and that’s a Big One!

Sixth (no ly in this one)…Your Mayor never seems to address this situation of crime, but yet he remains as your leader. Very questionable, wouldn’t you say? Bet your next dollar the corruption of leaders and law enforcement are constantly challenging the citizens to do anything about them…and people just sit to the wayside and hope someone else will do that for them.

Wrap Up:
    That’s Wilmington…not the professional members of higher learning and education of Chapel Hill and Durham…they are a whole different ball game than Wilmywood. Which by the way won’t be that for long, according to the handwriting on the wall.

Welcome to the 21st Century…Erlkoenig ;-)

• Rog B says:

Ok sheriff, I can understand your rationality there. But based on that argument shouldn’t it also be illegal for a male and a female who are both atheists to get married? I mean if they don’t even believe in god why are Christian’s not rallying to neglect them of this “privilege of holy matrimony” as well?

• machiavel says:

Ever notice the people that spend the most time thinking and visualizing what the gay community does in their bedrooms are those that are most against it? Ted Haggard is a prime example….just saying.

• guest of the month says:

Oh Yea!! That’s a good plan. Let the State of North Carolina spend 10’s of MILLIONS of tax payer dollars fighting something that has already been decided by the courts.
    For what purpose?
    Why spend millions of dollars fighting a silly marriage bill when we cannot pay our teachers a living wage???

• John says:

Actually, his job is to “preserve, protect, and defend the constitution of the United States.” That’s the oath he took

• guest45 says:

Roy Pooper, the people of NC voted against gay marriage, your job is to represent the will of the people, so get your personal feelings out of it and keep fighting or do us all a favor and get the heck out!

• Gary Porter says:

God says in the KING JAMES bible that men should not lay with other men. 1611 King James version is the true word of God. All versions other than the King James Version were made by someone who changes words, left out words or complete verses, or added words. What does that mean? well the NEW King James Version known as NKJV or versions like the NIV or ESV well all those versions have ONE person who did what I mentioned earlier. They changed, added or completely left out verses. That way it is “their own” version and they can put a PATENT on it. With the Patent the ONE person who made that version gets CASH of each and everyone that sells. See You and I could print Thousands of the King James Version (KJV) because it is the only version with no patent. Isn’t that interesting to know? Also you might find this even more interesting – From the King James Version – Revelation Chapter 22 Verse 18 and 19. Verse 18: For I testify unto every man that heareth the words of the prophecy of this book, If any man shall add unto these things, God shall add unto him the plagues that are written in this book. 19:And if any man shall take away from the words of the book of this prophecy, God shall take away his part out of the book of life, and out of the holy city, and from the things which are written in this book.
    Stay away from the New World Order Bibles. Stick with the true Preserved word of God, the King James Version.
    I am for what God is for and I am against what God is against. It’s that simple. Good day and GOD BLESS!

• Mechanic says:

I am as straight and heterosexual as they come. But, why do people keep meddling in the affairs of those who have a different sexual orientation? It is them, their business, so I say leave them alone. If men want to marry men or women marry women, who cares? If you do, why? As Hillary Clinton said a while back…..”What difference does it make”? Most times, it is the religious zealots that stir up all the controversy. Even God gives people choices. Quit meddling!

• Vog46 says:

There’s the third leg of our government called the court system.
    They are the ones over turning all these state laws as being unconstitutional.
    Roy is protecting the state funds which are scarce. If he can’t win why bother pushing the rope upstream?

Vog

• ME says:

What about the separation of Church and State? All I hear are religious arguments why gays shouldn’t be allowed to marry. Religious beliefs shouldn’t have anything to do with government. Because guess what? There are more religions than one. Not sure if you noticed or not.

• taxpayer says:

the Federal Government is stripping away state’s rights.

• Danimal says:

All you bigoted “holier than thou” clowns need to wake up realize everyone doesn’t care about your God. For crying out loud, there is no “Man in the Sky” watching over us and throwing lightning bolts at gay folks.

• Old Guy says:

Dear Danimal,
    It really doesn’t matter what you think about God or anyone else. What matters here is that the people of North Carolina voted against this Law and so it came to pass! Now if you and your agenda had gotten out and voted maybe just maybe you all would have won the vote but guess what would’ve, should’ve or could’ve can’t cut it now can it? The PEOPLE have spoken!

And you are free to think and believe that way just as Christians are free to believe in God. You just better hope you are right.

• Heimie Schmelter says:

…now, but believe me, at some point YOU WILL meet your maker! Are you so ignorant that you actually believe all of this fascinating life that surrounds us is the result of some sort of spontaneous event? Your shallow soul will likely suffer in the long run.

• guest123123 says:

First off I am not a holy roller nor do I go to church. I do however believe in right and wrong and do believe in heaven and hell.What two consenting adults do in their bedroom is DEFINITELY none of my business and they will know in their own minds if they think they are doing something wrong. Just because some people believe it is just not right does not make them a “bigot or holier than thou”. Some people have strong beliefs about right and wrong which are not necessarily tied to religion.

• guest 1980 says:

• RickC says:

The judges are merely following the spirit and intent of the Constitution. Madison wrote of it during the debates when the 9th amendment was added to the Bill of Rights in 1789. Jefferson also spoke of it at his Presidential Inauguration; “All, too, will bear in mind this sacred principle, that though the will of the majority is in all cases to prevail, that will, to be rightful, must be reasonable; that the minority possess their equal rights, which equal laws must protect, and to violate which would be oppression.”

• StreetSmartz says:

Let’s start with the basic question here. You say there is a PATENT or multiple PATENTS on the Bible? Could you just give me ONE patent number. Just one.

• Jeremy says:

I’m pretty sure the Hebrew or Greek version would be the real one. The fact that the King James version is a translated version that would mean there have been alterations to the original text. Sorry to disappoint you.

• malchjrc says:

I’m sure the OP is confused and meant to say copyright, not Patent. The post would indicate other problems with accuracy, but that’s another issue.

• Kit Cosper says:

You do know that King James was homosexual, right? So, you can thank a gay monarch for giving you the “People’s Bible” – ponder that for a while.

Insofar as the Bible being changed via translation, that is the case any time you go from one language to another. Heck, the English language has changed over the centuries. Languages evolve – so even a verbatim translation of those words recorded over a period of 1,500 years by 40 authors in three languages changed before the Bible was canonized ~400 years after the death of Jesus. There were also many gospels left out of the Canonized version, I hope you’ve read those as well (since they were also divinely inspired, but omitted due to the choice of man.)

As far as what the Bible says, I suppose you’ll be adhering to everything else in the Bible – no fair picking and choosing! For what it MEANS, well – that’s left to the individual.

• guest of the month says:

So, Gary. I take it you also believe all homosexuals should immediately be put to death, as in King James version of leviticus, chapter twenty?

Then Gary, you also believe anyone who commits adultery should also immediately be put to death?

If we follow your lead an awful lot of Americans are going to be put to death. Is that really what Jesus would want? Killing millions of people?

• John says:

But what does spewing a bunch of bible quotes have to do with the law in North Carolina? There are lots of things that are legal that religions prohibit. That is why we don’t base our laws on religion.

• USMC says:

To my knowledge, no human being has ever spoken directly to God. Much of this is simply mankind’s guess work as to what God really wants. And, for the most part, was written by those who thought the earth was flat.

• Danimal says:

And you are all welcome to your opinions. Just remember evolution is NOT an opinion. If the bible gives you a moral compass, that is fantastic but it is not a rulebook for everyone to adhere to.

You’re wrong. The majority also had to be overruled to bring about the end of segregation, put an end to slavery, allow blacks and women voting rights, allow interracial marriage etc. etc. (Just as an aside, the Bible was often quoted to defend all of those discriminatory practices as well). North Carolina can not continue to be on the wrong side of history. Old Guy, the world is moving on whether you like it or not. One day, in the very near future, your ancestors will find it hard to believe that two adults of the same sex getting married used to be taboo.

• Old Guy says:

Whah, whah, whah I didn’t vote and now I want to cry. Like I said before “Guest0000000″ and “Danimal” too bad so sad. Should’ve, would’ve, canna don’t cut the mustard here in the Good Ole North State. If you don’t like it leave it and go somewhere else that goes along or comes along.

I look forward to your crying “wan,wah,wah” when this unconstitutional ban is overturned. You, and the rest of your “head in the sand” gang are in for a rude welcome to the 21st Century. That’s right, when presented with facts and logic, just bury your head deeper, stick your fingers in your ears and laaalaaalaaalaaa while the world evolves around you. You won’t be missed.

• The Sheriff says:

It’s a matter of principal. Majority spoke and voiced opposition to same sex marriage regardless of their reasons. That in itself is enough of a principal to tell the minority to take a hike.

All this yammering clearly demonstrates why there’s is a need to have term limits for all jobs in government as well as tort reform.

Perhaps the best idea is to eliminate all benefits or perks to being married and problem is solved.

• Erlkoenig says:

Because morality is worth fighting for. In fifty years your kids will be arguing why fight for NC’s ban on pedophiles. We will loose far more if the perverts get to decide our laws.

…you’d lose that bet. All you need to do is spend about 10 minutes reading the majority of the posts in the comments section of this very site to see how wrong you are.

After reading most of the Trollin’, Bible-Thumpin’, Government-Hatin’, Minority-Bashin’ posts in the comment sections of this news site, I have no doubt who would win that argument.

• guest123123 says:

Simple math. Take the IQ of all republican VOTERS in NC add them together and divide by the total voters and would bet a years salary it would be higher than that of the democrats.

• Heimie Schmelter says:

rapists. Are you prepared to give THEM “rights” too? Believe it or not they are rallying for them as we speak! The next social upheaval is on the horizon.

“Normal” will never be anything other than a setting on a washing machine. Anything goes in today’s world…

• suspicious 1 says:

Why has Cooper been fighting against homosexuals in the first place? They are working, tax-paying citizens who have the right to protection under the law just like anyone else. Why does their choice of sex partners make them ineligible for such protection?

• Guestfree4all says:

Heimie, you will never be taken seriously by me again. Your comment is asinine. Pedophiles and rapists HURT PEOPLE, their VICTIMS are not consenting adults, their acts are criminal. Homosexuality is a sexuality just like heterosexual is. Get it?

• Heimie Schmelter says:

…but it’s only a matter of time before they are forced to be “acceptable” by society. It’s on its way and in the works. They claim they have the same “problems and difficulties” that gay people do. Your argument fades as we speak. They are assembling lawyers and group support, just as you have done in an effort to overcome an overwhelming public opinion and current law. Do you remember the overwhelming results of the last vote BY THE PEOPLE on homosexual marriage?

Just to give a little bit of training on sexuality, let’s start here: The full on intent of sexuality is for the PRIMARY purpose of procreation, you know when a male and a female get together to generate a new life and continue the species, the pleasure portion is only secondary to the basic purpose. That doesn’t happen with homosexuals, one of life’s impossibilities. So all you are looking for is the “pleasure” part of sex and have to cheat to get the primary goal of bearing a child using artificial methods. Sorry to hit you with that one, but again…a simple fact. It is well known that ONLY humans have sex for pleasure, the remainder do it for the basic, natural, and sometimes clock-driven reason of sustenance of their kind.

I don’t really care if you take me seriously or not. I have valid points to make and that’s what I do. You may be able to gain “tolerance” at best, but it is clearly obvious that you have a very long road to find “acceptance”. It simply isn’t happening at the rate you desire and won’t for a long period of time. We don’t care what the “law” may or may not dictate.

His job is to represent ALL the people of NC. ALL OF THEM. Not just the majority of people who choose to deny a minority the same rights that they enjoy.

I am not surprised that he is going against the will of the people. I hope the citizens of North Carolina will wake up and realize that he doesn’t represent us. He represents his own agenda.

• bill clinton says:

Lets impeach the rascal!!!!!!

• guest45 says:

he doesn’t seem like the kind of person that is capable of doing that either, only when it is popular enough to get him a vote

• guest45 says:

Streetsmart, you can believe 1 thing if nothing else, if it were not for the GOP and its people this state would have been in bankruptcy by now, the 140 years of Demorats running the show is the very reason we are even having this discussion, not only have the left run this state into moral decline, but financial ruin also, case in point, look at the holier than vow teachers retirement plan, one in which has never been funded after all these years of the lefts control, even they are one hiccup away from not recieving a check, so what exactly is it that you do not like about the GOP, other than we are the backbone of this country! and we are getting very tired of carrying the worlds load by the way, grow up!

• guest123123 says:

I do not think you want to equate the voting IQ’s of REP vs DEM. There is no doubt who would win that argument.

• StreetSmartz says:

So with that being said, could the GOP please reimburse the lovely State of NC for all the wasted taxpayer dollars and time that has gone towards fighting these types of issues?

Fighting this issue hasn’t created any more jobs in the area, but rather has kept companies from relocating to a State that is more accepting. Wasted money for no reason other than circling the low iq voting masses.

• Religious Zealot says:

AG Cooper is doing his moral duty as a leader and representative of the people of NC. He does not want to be held accountable to God for being part of the problem. Yes he will probably loose in the court of man, because of the period in history, Historically every Empire has fell from within because of social and moral decay. but he will win in the court of God. If anyone does not believe in the God of Abraham, The Creator of the Universe, this will mean nothing to them. It may even anger them. If you do however believe in him, and disagree with AG Cooper, you may want to start reading your Bible. You cannot have it both ways. There is no middle ground. There is no compromise.

How exactly is Roy Cooper right according to the Bible?